Fire Emblem: Heaven's Bloom [v1.1 released!]

Roosterton

27 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Of course, it's just ideas to play around with. Another problem is that if you make him use his main tome several times in a row some how, then his number of Siege Tomes can exceed his inventory, which brings up a weird error where he has to send one to the convoy, your convoy. Which obviously shouldn't be the case. I really wish there was a skill in Fire Emblem proper that allows unit to swap to a weapon they can defend themselves with.

Also I can't seem to edit the comment. Serenes is glitching on me saying it's too old or something. Sorry about that.

No worries, I've encountered that too on SF. I suppose if anyone clicks on the video with "final boss" in the title it's their fault for getting spoiled :lol:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 1

Okay, so I really liked this chapter, though I had a few problems with the physical map, one being that the village you're meant to seize doesn't have a fence to the east; it has the roof tiles of the next house.

Spoiler

Okay, so I did really like this chapter, and how it played out as far as map design, but the enemy cavaliers that spawned around turn 5 weren't scary enough for me to warrant really anything new, aside from RNG praying that Keena got a crit on one of them. I also think that the mercenary you get (Derrick?) should have a conversation with the boss since the two were initially allies in banditry. The next complaint I have is that the boss wasn't hard enough. I feel like maybe you should've given him something that'd have given him more of a chance against Cassius (Maybe tomebreaker?) because I would've killed him in one round with his prf tome if I didn't want Hands to get the kill.

Chapter Two will either be out Saturday or Tuesday

Edited by Attila

7 hours ago, Attila said:

Chapter 1

Okay, so I really liked this chapter, though I had a few problems with the physical map, one being that the village you're meant to seize doesn't have a fence to the east; it has the roof tiles of the next house.

Reveal hidden contents

Okay, so I did really like this chapter, and how it played out as far as map design, but the enemy cavaliers that spawned around turn 5 weren't scary enough for me to warrant really anything new, aside from RNG praying that Keena got a crit on one of them. I also think that the mercenary you get (Derrick?) should have a conversation with the boss since the two were initially allies in banditry. The next complaint I have is that the boss wasn't hard enough. I feel like maybe you should've given him something that'd have given him more of a chance against Cassius (Maybe tomebreaker?) because I would've killed him in one round with his prf tome if I didn't want Hands to get the kill.

Chapter Two will either be out Saturday or Tuesday

Good catch with the map, it looks so obvious in hindsight but somehow I missed it. Will be fixed in the next patch!

Edited by Roosterton

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've released v1.1.0, a significantly larger update which addresses a number of presentation and game-balance issues. Unlike previous patches, this update is not entirely compatible with previous savegames. If you have any characters that are between lvl. 12-14 in their promoted class and you update to this version, they will be unable to learn their final class skills, as these skills have been moved from lvl. 15 to lvl. 12. In all other respects, it should be compatible with previous saves.

Full changelog from 1.0.10 to 1.1.0:

Spoiler

-Ch.1: map fence tiles fixed
-Ch.1: updated 'Senator Rallmont' to 'Lord Rallmont' - holdover from previous version of the story
-Ch.1: fixed 'hile' typo in the ending scene
-Ch.1: added conditional for Derruk's presence & survival in the ending scene
-Ch.1: added a battle convo between Derruk and the ch.1 boss
-Ch.2: removed the enemy counter from this level because it's defeat boss
-Ch.3: a game over is now properly triggered if Deo dies
-Ch.5: On hard mode, the thief now starts closer to the door, preventing him from being rushed & killed before he can even open it
-Ch.6 boss now has Strong Riposte instead of Impale
-Ch.7: added a convo for the red gem house
-Ch.7: boss no longer shares a name & description with an FE8 boss
-Ch.12: added additional enemies to the turn 4 reinforcement wave
-Ch.13: the named NPC's death now properly triggers a game over
-Ch.13: the named NPC now has the correct description
-Ch.13: added an additional wave of enemy reinforcements
-Ch.14: the ending scene now has more appropriate music
-Ch.15: the ending scene now has music
-Ch.16: an errant map fade was removed from the beginning scene
-Ch.17: the level now has a 12-turn limit; a gameover triggers at the start of turn 13
-Fighter lvl10 skill from Desperation to Anathema
-mastery skill acquisition level from lvl 15 to lvl 12 (dancer: celerity from lvl 10 to lvl 7)
-valkyries now learn Inspiration at lvl 12 instead of Charm (buffs weak Valkyries, + Valk fordra no longer gets charm x2)
-assassins get critical force at lvl 5 instead of lifetaker
-sages get seal resistance at lvl 12 instead of lifetaker
-disabled arena on Hard Mode
-difficulty selection screen removed
-gave the final boss a battle palette
-all weapon hitrates +10 on Hard Mode: meant to reduce strategic inconsistency & make the early game mooks slightly more threatening

While creating this patch, I discovered a minor bug with no apparent solution: Getting a game over on ch.11 or ch.17 as a result of running out of turns will result in the game softlocking when you restart the chapter to try again. This is easily fixable by closing the rom completely and re-opening it before you restart the chapter.

As always, let me know if you find any more bugs!

Edited by Roosterton

9 minutes ago, Darmani said:

Not sure if you wanted this to be a starting item

This was on the Hard mode

Start2.png

ooopsss i was using that for debugging LOL

Feel free to throw it away in that save, will remove asap for others

update: fixed

Edited by Roosterton

11 hours ago, Darmani said:

Not sure if you wanted this to be a starting item

This was on the Hard mode

Start2.png

Start.png

He meant to give it 1 use so that you don't start on a bad note

Also nice Cassius fix, wonder who did that

On 5/31/2018 at 6:50 AM, familyplayer said:

So is the chapter 13 boss supposed to have capped strength, skill, and speed? Because I don't think she is. I might have an older version though.

Edit: Yeah it seems to be a mistake that's happened a couple times in some chapters where the stats have been a little scewed into ridiculously high numbers every now and then. Probably an error with the input of stats, growth rates, and levels of enemies if I had to guess the source. It's really easy to screw that stuff up, especially in FEBuilderGBA

I was returning to take a look at this issue. In my version of the game, none of the bosses have been screwed anywhere remotely close to the screenshots you posted.

This got me thinking - what difficulty did you select at the start of the game? I don't mean which patch, but on the difficulty select screen, did you pick normal or hard?

I had been under the impression that I'd removed all differences between Normal and Hard, but as it turns out there's still autolevelling differences which I hadn't removed. Since I developed & tested the game using a hard savefile, it's possible that the screwiness occurs as a result of picking Normal (perhaps some value goes negative and loops around?). 

As of 1.1, new save files automatically start on 'hard', so if my theory is correct then this issue is solved. People who have current 'normal' savefiles may want to consider restarting, or prepare themselves to face nasty bosses later. (Not the final boss though, I made sure he's always identical)

Edited by Roosterton

3 hours ago, Roosterton said:

I was returning to take a look at this issue. In my version of the game, none of the bosses have been screwed anywhere remotely close to the screenshots you posted.

This got me thinking - what difficulty did you select at the start of the game? I don't mean which patch, but on the difficulty select screen, did you pick normal or hard?

I had been under the impression that I'd removed all differences between Normal and Hard, but as it turns out there's still autolevelling differences which I hadn't removed. Since I developed & tested the game using a hard savefile, it's possible that the screwiness occurs as a result of picking Normal (perhaps some value goes negative and loops around?). 

As of 1.1, new save files automatically start on 'hard', so if my theory is correct then this issue is solved. People who have current 'normal' savefiles may want to consider restarting, or prepare themselves to face nasty bosses later. (Not the final boss though, I made sure he's always identical)

Ok, that might explain it then. I knew that it seemed a little too crazy for my team for that level and the desert level, but I wasn't 100% sure. I did the "easy" rom and selected normal, but I did have an older version, so that might be where the issue was.

hmm, I do have feedback, which ill give when i finish the game, but I've encountered a glitch I don't know how to fix. chapter 7, I'm unable to visit any red roofed houses, and after killing everything I'm unable to seize the NE road. 

I've tried starting over and resetting the chapter, same issue.. I'm stuck lol please help. :/

2.png

4.png

3.png

1.png

5 hours ago, Thorgrun said:

hmm, I do have feedback, which ill give when i finish the game, but I've encountered a glitch I don't know how to fix. chapter 7, I'm unable to visit any red roofed houses, and after killing everything I'm unable to seize the NE road. 

I've tried starting over and resetting the chapter, same issue.. I'm stuck lol please help. :/

Looking into this now, stay tuned!

6 hours ago, Thorgrun said:

Released v1.1.1, which hopefully solves this - let me know if the problem persists.

I like this hack so far. It is very well-written and compelling, and is actually (most of the time) fun to play. What i like most about it is how arena abuse-proof the hack is in Hard. The player can arena abuse, but the only chapter with a free to use arena comes when Heal staves are very scarce, due to the ridiculous price (4k gold, really?). So at best you might promote 3 units, and with such a high difficulty curve (silver weapons, long range bolt, and the MIRE), 3 promoted wont steamroll the game, and the hack stays challenging.

Minor nitpick: chap 12 in battle preparation is called Tower 04. And screw the MIRE ?

10 minutes ago, Saltminer said:

I like this hack so far. It is very well-written and compelling, and is actually (most of the time) fun to play. What i like most about it is how arena abuse-proof the hack is in Hard. The player can arena abuse, but the only chapter with a free to use arena comes when Heal staves are very scarce, due to the ridiculous price (4k gold, really?). So at best you might promote 3 units, and with such a high difficulty curve (silver weapons, long range bolt, and the MIRE), 3 promoted wont steamroll the game, and the hack stays challenging.

May I ask where Valen the Sunstone come from? I saw him as a Sage in the desert chap. He even has SS description.

Minor nitpick: chap 12 in battle preparation is called Tower 04. And screw the MIRE ?

EDIT: sorry for 2 identical posts, im new to SR ?

Edited by Saltminer
Mistake

Alright, so my review is a bit long... But hey, that's supposed to be a good thing lol.

Story-line 

- I really enjoy your custom story, more so that you took time to really edit the grammar and spelling errors, I can be very fussy and games tend to be unplayable if the English is just really bad, but that's my opinion. Not saying there are no errors, but there are very little compared to what i'm used to seeing and I don't have to read a sentence 5 times to understand what is meant lol. It was very compelling and well thought out, I especially liked the way characters interacted and reacted to other characters lol.

Chapters

- I appreciate that recruitment isn't hard to figure out, through reading plot you can figure out who recruits who, so I don't find myself looking at recruitment guides constantly, thank you for that. Wait, a heal staff costs 4000+? WTF Why? :O   

- Holy crap chapter 7 was difficult lol, those chase chapters are fun, but difficult, managed to kill everything and save civilians so yay. First chapter to force me to reset the game to save a unit multiple times. This level on hard mode = rage quit lmao xD And thanks again for the patch so i could finish the level.

- Chapter 13 was interesting, though I thought it was too easy, with the crown helping on the other side I felt like they kept stealing XP,  especially since you only get one chance to abuse the arena, and at that point you can't afford the incredibly expensive heal staves, so yea, I reeeeallyyy notice the XP thieves lol.

- Chapter 16 is hard AF lol, all the brave weapons and bolting was chaos, but still managed to kill everything. And though I like that you made weapons with rng 3 but omg MIRE!!! Mire is a very rude weapon lol.

- The final chapter was pretty difficult, that health bar is nuts lol, trapped between eyeballs and brave bows a LOT lol -_- 

Characters

- I like the new custom characters. Some mug shots look like they can be touched up a bit more, Keena is really pixelated.. lol more so than should be anyway, and her scar just doesnt look right...

- Fordra has way too much intensely dark shading, but maybe that was intended, i notice Gallea is the same, and they both are sick, so?

- Tayli's eyes are off,  her left eye should be much smaller, not bigger, because of the way she is facing. 

- Jerrak's portrait is replaced with Joshua's portrait in some support convo's. Mug shot looks rather choppy.

- And when I had Janessa go and attack her mother, the dialogue and portraits changed to Fordra against Lyon lol... I really wanted to see that dialogue too. :/

- And the entire game I thought Sylvie was a guy............. I mean I loved "him and Jerrak" only to find through dialogue he's a she, the portrait looks manly lol :D 

- The only character I don't like is Gallea, his portrait looks weird for some reason... *stares at it*

Backgrounds

End of chapter 7 the background when Cassius first speaks, is just terrible lol, needs cleaning, otherwise everything appears well drawn or inserted, if using previous backdrops. 

Overall

- Maps were well designed for the most part, and for your first hack this is really good.

- That ending... lol I wasn't expecting that. Overall I really enjoyed playing and will most likely play it again. 

- I promoted my Fordra to priest, end game she was level 19. While yes, her magic, skill and luck are maxed, i think her stat growths need a tweaking, she gained 12 empty levels lol, thankfully shes still a great glass cannon for monsters. 

- Not sure if I cared for the music.. But oh well, I didn't play for music, thank you for making this hack, really had a fun time playing it, and I hope you make more! :D

5 hours ago, Thorgrun said:

snip

Thank you so much! I'll take a look at those supports & boss convos loading the wrong faces.

Fordra actually has one of the highest growth totals in the game, but her growths are very lopsided (65% mag, 25% spd), so if you cap the stats like magic and luck it becomes somewhat probable that she'll get 0-stat levels.

Now that I've solved (most of?) the gameplay issues I'm thinking a mass portrait overhaul is my next big project, starting with Gallea, because I agree he looks really strange - I think his head is too small.

Thanks again and glad you enjoyed it!

Edited by Roosterton

so i just finished the hack and i will say i really loved it. the plot characters maps it was really enjoyable, and i loved what you did with the supports!

I will say with just having certain characters only having 2 supports did make it difficult because i HAD to pair them up. I will ask in future patches if you can figure out in supports to get rid of some of the characters we don't get in the game and delete them because it confused me because i thought i had other options and by the end i was like oh i dont those are just characters from past games that just stayed.

overall i loved it and i cant wait to replay it w/ the more patches coming out

will say you're a dick for chapter 16 the map design and enemies were so good and well placed, but it took me like 2 hours to get past turn 1 god i hate you so much for how well you placed those certain enemies.

But i loved it too to see how creative you got with the map design and placement, the ending was unexpected and i enjoyed it thoroughly

yeah my fordra was op except for strength but i was disappointed with my keena her stats and durreks almost made me just bench them and not use them 

EDIT: i may of been rng screwed but when keena has 22 speed at level 13 sword master and breyett maxing out speed of 28 by level 12-15 sniper (i forgot when he did) it triggered me but i know that wasnt your fault <3

Edited by Renais

7 hours ago, Renais said:

so i just finished the hack and i will say i really loved it. the plot characters maps it was really enjoyable, and i loved what you did with the supports!

I will say with just having certain characters only having 2 supports did make it difficult because i HAD to pair them up. I will ask in future patches if you can figure out in supports to get rid of some of the characters we don't get in the game and delete them because it confused me because i thought i had other options and by the end i was like oh i dont those are just characters from past games that just stayed.

overall i loved it and i cant wait to replay it w/ the more patches coming out

will say you're a dick for chapter 16 the map design and enemies were so good and well placed, but it took me like 2 hours to get past turn 1 god i hate you so much for how well you placed those certain enemies.

But i loved it too to see how creative you got with the map design and placement, the ending was unexpected and i enjoyed it thoroughly

yeah my fordra was op except for strength but i was disappointed with my keena her stats and durreks almost made me just bench them and not use them 

EDIT: i may of been rng screwed but when keena has 22 speed at level 13 sword master and breyett maxing out speed of 28 by level 12-15 sniper (i forgot when he did) it triggered me but i know that wasnt your fault <3

Thank you!

I totally forgot that the support page exists, will look into this. I might also consider adding some more supports or paired endings in the future for the characters who don't have very many atm.

Glad you liked it :)

Wooooo! Complete FE hack! 2nd in the world, maybe? Who knows, maybe even the 3rd.

Now I haven't finished it yet, in fact I'm only about 5 chapters in, so consider this my early impressions. So far, this hack is very promising. Needs a bit of polish in some areas but as a whole it's solid.

Pros:

-Very good in the writing department. In fact, I'd say it's probably the highest point. The characters' personalities are well established and written, the writing style and language used tells me that you're an experienced writer and I like what I've seen of the supports. If you're looking for a plot critic, I'm not your guy and I won't pretend to be. I tend to only half pay attention to plots in video games, so take this with whatever weight you will, but I see no glaring flaws in the story so far.

-The map design is solid. I've seen better, but I've also seen much worse. Just a few nitpicks. For one, please go easy on the early game siege tomes, especially on enemies that move. With the early game's smaller maps, enemies that move with, say, Purge, can easily cover half of the map with scarily high hit rates. That wouldn't be as much of a problem if most of your front line units didn't have shit resistance, but that isn't the case here. As you can probably tell, I'm mostly referring to the mansion defend chapter (3, I think it was?). That map is amazing concept wise and still good execution wise, I just think you went a little overboard on the long-range tomes, Mire included. I don't know where else to bring this up, so I'll say it here. I think 80 hit on an early-game 1-3 range tome that's used by a class with very high magic is a bit sadistic, especially considering that, without a Longbow, it's uncounterable on the enemy phase.

Also, are the houses in Chapter 4 supposed to be unvisitable? Like a 'the citizens have their doors locked because of the battle' type deal? Because if they are, I'm not a fan of that. I get that some hackers do this to add to the realism of the map, but imo it's just pointless. In that map, I got so absorbed into the difficult fighting that I ignored the houses until pretty much all the enemies were gone. I killed the boss, but deliberately waited to seize until I had visited the houses, which took a few turns since I had to move Tayli to each one from practically the other side of the map, so yeah, I was slightly peeved when they were just illusion houses. All right, rant mode deactivated. I know this sounded more like a Con section, but I get kind of passionate about things that annoy me. I really am enjoying the maps so far. Particularly Chapter 4. A tough first battle against a foreign army, with USEFUL green units? Yes please.

Cons: (There's only 2 major ones)

-The early game's music is... a bit odd. I think you could do with getting some help ripping the MIDI instruments and inserting them into the game rather than using FE8's soundfont to play songs that weren't intended to be played using it. Whenever this happens in a hack, the songs always sound off. EDIT: Half a year later and I came across this in my post history. Apologies if this edit is considered a necropost. These little comments were pretty noobish of me and the last part is a massive, completely untrue generalization. No idea why this was my opinion at the time (Lack of experience with music hacking, I guess?). On the offchance that OP comes across this again, my advice nowadays would just be to fiddle around with the instruments more and test lots of different ones out in the game for each song.

Also, I think some more thought could be put into which song plays on which map. It's not a good idea to pick one song and say "This one will play for the first 5 chapters". Each map should have a song that fits the theme, because when you're exploring dark ancient ruins, fighting skeletons as you search for a lost artifact, having an upbeat, jolly version of the Fire Emblem theme playing is a bit immersion-breaking.

-You've already heard this from pretty much every other person in this thread, so I won't inform you that the portraits need work. Instead, I'll give you some tips for splicing:

For one, don't use custom colors. The biggest thing that makes the portraits look so odd is the unusual colors, especially next to some unedited FE8 portraits used for NPCs and bosses. Always stick to colors used in FE8's palette. Also, when possible, avoid using the base character's entire face in your portrait. At least switch out the eyes. The eyes are really what make FE characters' faces recognizable, so if they're left on the same face they were originally on, it's incredibly obvious which character the portrait is based off of. Finally, make sure that you blend the different features together well. By that I mean, for example, when you paste another character's hair on your portrait, make sure you put shadows around the outlines that are in front of the character's face.

With these in mind, I was bored last night, sooooo...

Spoiler

I reconstructed Cassius and Fordra's portraits. Not the best, I know but this is what they'd look like if they (for the most part) followed those tips. If you like these, feel free to use them.

Cassius.png.34da13c3f7f10e3fe6320b5439582508.pngFordra.png.017b45c21525553f800bb3a66cec0c6f.png

I know I broke my own rule with Cassius' face, but honestly, I couldn't find any other eyes that looked good on him ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Overall, good hack! As I said, it shows a lot of promise and I look forward to the rest of it!

Edited by TheArbiterK

5 hours ago, TheArbiterK said:

snip

Thanks a ton for all this feedback! I'll take your splicing advice to heart when I get around to redoing most of them.

Those portraits look really nice - if I choose to include them in the next patch, I'll be sure to add you to the list of special thanks. 

Mire is meant to be at least a little sadistic - it's designed to be an uncounterable magic nuke which forces the player to be proactive & try to control the map instead of sitting back and turtling (inspired by SoV's version). I definitely see what you mean about the moving purge/bolting enemies, though, especially in the early game.

About the chapter 4 villages, they were actually supposed to be visitable, so I'm not sure why you had that issue! Will look into this.

1 hour ago, kinglan10 said:

Hey does anyone got a list of paired endings? I kinda wanna shoot for them all but I dont wanna play a couple dozen times to unlock every support.

Unless I forgot something, this is the full list:

Spoiler

Hands / Keena
Hands / Sedry
Hands / Fordra

Keena / Hands
Keena / Sedry
Keena / Cassius

Breyett / Derruk
Breyett / Aminda
Breyett / Janessa

Derruk / Breyett
Derruk / Tayli
Derruk / Aminda
Derruk / Fordra

Tayli / Henley
Tayli / Derruk

Merran / Henley

Gilbert / Sedry
Gilbert / Jerrak

Sedry / Keena
Sedry / Hands
Sedry / Cassius

Henley / Sylvie
Henley / Merran

Sylvie / Henley
Sylvie / Jerrak

Janessa / Cassius
Janessa / Fodra
Janessa / Breyett

Fordra / Cassius
Fordra / Janessa
Fordra / Hands
Fordra / Derruk

Cassius / Fordra
Cassius / Janessa
Cassius / Keena
Cassius / Sedry

A number of these have not been playtested due to the vast number & tedium of testing each one, so let me know if issues arise with any of them (particularly with text spacing).

Edited by Roosterton

5 minutes ago, TheArbiterK said:

@Roosterton

Oh no, the villages were fine. It's the single tile houses that I couldn't visit.

Ohh okay, that makes sense, the houses are currently aesthetic-only. I might get around to making events for them at some point, but it's not a top priority for now. Sorry that they misled you!

3 hours ago, Roosterton said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hands / Keena
Hands / Sedry
Hands / Fordra

Keena / Hands
Keena / Sedry
Keena / Cassius

Breyett / Derruk
Breyett / Aminda
Breyett / Janessa

Derruk / Breyett
Derruk / Tayli
Derruk / Aminda
Derruk / Fordra

Tayli / Henley
Tayli / Derruk

Merran / Henley

Gilbert / Sedry
Gilbert / Jerrak

Sedry / Keena
Sedry / Hands
Sedry / Cassius

Henley / Sylvie
Henley / Merran

Sylvie / Henley
Sylvie / Jerrak

Janessa / Cassius
Janessa / Fodra
Janessa / Breyett

Fordra / Cassius
Fordra / Janessa
Fordra / Hands
Fordra / Derruk

Cassius / Fordra
Cassius / Janessa
Cassius / Keena
Cassius / Sedry

A number of these have not been playtested due to the vast number & tedium of testing each one, so let me know if issues arise with any of them (particularly with text spacing).

Will try to nail as many supports as I can, though I'm playing on hard mode and kinda getting wrecked atm, bit rusty at fire emblem, still having fun. =P