Fire Emblem: Heaven's Bloom [v1.1 released!]

Roosterton

2 hours ago, Roosterton said:

Thank you for the honesty! I really appreciate it.

There are multiple different map themes throughout the game - if it's bothering you for now, it does change to something less-classic-like starting at Ch.6. I wanted the starting map theme to evoke a nostalgic feeling, but you're right that it's a bit unfitting and also not really done in other FEs. I might have another look at this if I ever go back and do the rest of the music.

I think I see what you mean regarding the head sizes and outline colors on portraits. I'll see if I can fix the worst offenders here, if not then yeah I'll probably make a thread.

Re:Fordra's mug specifically, Walker is correct: she's deliberately pale because of her illness.

No problems bro, I'm going to continue pleing the rest of the hack soon. See you later. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are Cassius' growth rates? I've just leveled up without gaining any stats at all, and the previous level ups weren't too great either. Can't tell if I'm just getting RNG screwed or if he's not meant to develop well.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

What are Cassius' growth rates? I've just leveled up without gaining any stats at all, and the previous level ups weren't too great either. Can't tell if I'm just getting RNG screwed or if he's not meant to develop well.

Most characters have fairly low growths overall. Cassius has the following:

Spoiler

HP 60%
Mag 40%
Skill 40%
Spd 45%
Luck 40%
Def 20%
Res 15%

If you ever need to check a specific character's growths, you can do this in-game by going to their stat screen and pressing select (backspace by default on VBA).

10 minutes ago, Roosterton said:

Most characters have fairly low growths overall. Cassius has the following:

Hide contents

HP 60%
Mag 40%
Skill 40%
Spd 45%
Luck 40%
Def 20%
Res 15%

If you ever need to check a specific character's growths, you can do this in-game by going to their stat screen and pressing select (backspace by default on VBA).

Hmm. They're not that bad, especially if the general curve is low. I feel like I might have just gotten unlucky. Still, his bases seem decent enough and if the growth curve is low, then it shouldn't matter too much.

Okay, I've done Chapters 5 and 6 now and I'm really starting to enjoy things.

I didn't expect Anna to have such a dark role in the story.  Perhaps she's going to be a boss in a later chapter?

Hoo boy, Chapter 6.  That was kind of a crazy time.  I don't ever think I've been so afraid of Mage Knights in all my time playing Fire Emblem.  I honestly don't see how you could deal with them without a Barrier staff-boosted Gilbert wielding a Horseslayer and Javelin.  Didn't think I'd be able to defeat the boss and get two delicious Master Seals at once, but somehow I managed to pull it off.

I also got to see Derruk and Breyett's C Support in the process.  Bandits have always been one of the more fascinating aspects of Fire Emblem to me and I absolutely adore that we get to see them explored a bit more in-depth.

Definitely can't wait to do Chapter 7!  The Arena is tempting, but I think I'd like to try playing without Arena abuse for once.  Do you get enough Master Seals for all of your unpromoted units in this hack?  I'm thinking about promoting my healers at Level 10 (since they grow kind of slowly and I like promoting healers first so they can defend themselves) and promoting everyone else at Level 15.

18 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Okay, I've done Chapters 5 and 6 now and I'm really starting to enjoy things.

I didn't expect Anna to have such a dark role in the story.  Perhaps she's going to be a boss in a later chapter?

Hoo boy, Chapter 6.  That was kind of a crazy time.  I don't ever think I've been so afraid of Mage Knights in all my time playing Fire Emblem.  I honestly don't see how you could deal with them without a Barrier staff-boosted Gilbert wielding a Horseslayer and Javelin.  Didn't think I'd be able to defeat the boss and get two delicious Master Seals at once, but somehow I managed to pull it off.

I also got to see Derruk and Breyett's C Support in the process.  Bandits have always been one of the more fascinating aspects of Fire Emblem to me and I absolutely adore that we get to see them explored a bit more in-depth.

Definitely can't wait to do Chapter 7!  The Arena is tempting, but I think I'd like to try playing without Arena abuse for once.  Do you get enough Master Seals for all of your unpromoted units in this hack?  I'm thinking about promoting my healers at Level 10 (since they grow kind of slowly and I like promoting healers first so they can defend themselves) and promoting everyone else at Level 15.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it!

If you manage to get all the treasure (which it sounds like you're doing) then you'll have more than enough to promote everyone.

The arena in chapter 7 isn't actually functional, it's just there to look pretty. I usually find the whole concept of 'soldiers stopping what they're doing to fight in the arena' to be sort of immersion breaking, especially considering the plot of ch.7 :P:

16 minutes ago, Roosterton said:

If you manage to get all the treasure (which it sounds like you're doing) then you'll have more than enough to promote everyone.

The arena in chapter 7 isn't actually functional, it's just there to look pretty. I usually find the whole concept of 'soldiers stopping what they're doing to fight in the arena' to be sort of immersion breaking, especially considering the plot of ch.7 :P:

...Huh.  Purely decorative Arenas?  That's new.

Also, that prince guy Fordra seems to like so much (his name escapes me at the moment) also has a weird skin tone.  It kind of makes him look like a zombie.  Does he too suffer from degeneration?

1 hour ago, Roosterton said:

45 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

...Huh.  Purely decorative Arenas?  That's new.

Also, that prince guy Fordra seems to like so much (his name escapes me at the moment) also has a weird skin tone.  It kind of makes him look like a zombie.  Does he too suffer from degeneration?

Hey it's still working 

For me asleast 

fe hb-1.png

10 minutes ago, Street Hero said:

Hey it's still working 

For me asleast 

Oh, I guess I was mistaken - I didn't do any eventing for the arena so I just assumed it wouldn't be a thing, but I guess it's bound to the arena tile rather than a specific coordinate on the map?

Well, more power to you then! For the next build I'll make sure to change the arena competitor name from "Offspring" to "Enemy" or something.

Edited by Roosterton

10 minutes ago, Street Hero said:

Btw the archer boy promote is bugged (can only choose ranger, the sniper promotion cause the game crashed) 

Huh... that's very bizarre. I just tested on the same chapter and was able to promote him to sniper just fine. Two questions to help me troubleshoot:
1. Are you playing easy or hard mode? Might be version-specific if I messed something up.
2. Have you visited any of the houses at this point in the chapter? (and if so which ones) It's possible I used a bad completion flag for one of them which somehow interferes with the sniper promo.

If you finish the chapter, check to see if his promotion works afterwards - that will let me know if it's a chapter-specific problem.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

breyettsniper.JPG

Edited by Roosterton

23 minutes ago, Roosterton said:

Huh... that's very bizarre. I just tested on the same chapter and was able to promote him to sniper just fine. Two questions to help me troubleshoot:
1. Are you playing easy or hard mode? Might be version-specific if I messed something up.
2. Have you visited any of the houses at this point in the chapter? (and if so which ones) It's possible I used a bad completion flag for one of them which somehow interferes with the sniper promo.

If you finish the chapter, check to see if his promotion works afterwards - that will let me know if it's a chapter-specific problem.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

breyettsniper.JPG

1.Easy mode 

2.The 1st house only

3.Still bugged (doesn't matter, go ranger anyway because i like nomad class)

12 minutes ago, Street Hero said:

1.Easy mode 

2.The 1st house only

3.Still bugged (doesn't matter, go ranger anyway because i like nomad class)

Okay, I tested again on easy mode after visiting the 1st house, and still can't seem to replicate it. I'm going to write this off as some incredibly niche occurrence for now, but please let me know if something similar happens again.

11 minutes ago, Roosterton said:

Okay, I tested again on easy mode after visiting the 1st house, and still can't seem to replicate it. I'm going to write this off as some incredibly niche occurrence for now, but please let me know if something similar happens again.

It's ok, pal. Just my luck. 

Spoiler

5b066c2970c92_fehb-1.png.96d8d141e1a982902bebac585ffa35f6.png they crit the shit out of me >.<

Spoiler

Reset state:6

Edited by Street Hero

Been keeping notes of things I notice good or bad but you know how that works out. Just going to copy and paste them over here

I think this a pretty solid hack and pretty impressive that it's actually COMPLETE :wub::wub:

Playing Hard mode

Prolouge

-Hands pallet is overly bright while the rest of the cast is overly dark

-Both girls have something wonkie going on with their eyes. Fordra’s blink animation is being clipped by her shaded face? or something and Keena’s eyes are transparent i think

-Map is good and shows a few mechanics and isn’t overly hard and no one feels too strong or too weak to contribute

-Mend is probably too much of a staff initially. Felt like i couldn’t spam it for exp on her immediately. Could be a good or bad thing. Depends what your were going for.

-Map should probably just be a rout map since you aren’t going to be able to skip any mobs since it’s so “linear” to just rush a seize.

Chapter 1

-Breyett’s outline is too dark

-REALLY like how you made Derruk start pushing with the Cavaliers very early. I really wasn’t ready to try and cheese him since i thought i just needed to talk to him with the lord and it completely forced me to make some pretty rushed decisions, since i wasn’t done clearing the enemies on the east side of the wall. Had to sprint over and grab Breyett and have him talk to Derruk. I was convinced i was going to have to restart there.

-Derruk’s portrait looks good here

- Music doesn’t loop well and is too quiet in the beginning or has too slow of a startup. Thought the music bugged for a second

-This chapter also feels weird to be a seize chapter as well.

I'll have more later for sure

Pretty solid story so far. Nothing has hit me as overly out there Script-wise but I've only completed the first few chapters

1 hour ago, Skeeth said:

Derruk’s portrait looks good here

I'm pretty sure it's a reused boss portrait from vanilla Sacred Stones.  Hands also seems to reuse Durban's portrait, which I'm not a big fan of.

I think Sedry should come with C staves so she can use Silence right out the gate. Her skill extended it's range feels like it's a bit useless out the gate.

...So I didn't like Chapter 7 very much.

The reinforcements coming from where you start are already threatening enough with their high-end weapons, but the other enemies further down make it hard to outrun them, especially when the Cavaliers and Wyvern Riders start showing up.  Needless to say it's easy to get overwhelmed by them as you get closer to the exit.

So what I ended up having to do was mostly turtle near the starting position and kill off the reinforcements as they spawned, not moving forward until after I had killed every wave.  Considering the context of the chapter, I severely doubt this is how you intended players to go about it.

7 hours ago, Street Hero said:

TROLOLOL 

Hide contents

nooooo wtf my bad, this is Fordra/Hands support yeah?

edit: oh it's a talk event that I forgot to remove, thank you!!

Edited by Roosterton

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

...So I didn't like Chapter 7 very much.

The reinforcements coming from where you start are already threatening enough with their high-end weapons, but the other enemies further down make it hard to outrun them, especially when the Cavaliers and Wyvern Riders start showing up.  Needless to say it's easy to get overwhelmed by them as you get closer to the exit.

So what I ended up having to do was mostly turtle near the starting position and kill off the reinforcements as they spawned, not moving forward until after I had killed every wave.  Considering the context of the chapter, I severely doubt this is how you intended players to go about it.

Correct, the intention was to rush forward guns blazing & outpace the reinforcements. It's supposed to be really crazy and hectic towards the end, but not to the point where you have to turtle. On hard mode (for me atleast) this usually means making extensive use of Sleep, Bolting, and rescue chains w/mounted units. I'll think of some ways to make it bit less insane (maybe have the cavs/wyverns spawn a turn later or something?).

3 hours ago, Skeeth said:

snip

Thanks for all the feedback! For the prologue, I was going for more of a 'tutorial' kind of thing, explaining mechanics like doors, breakable walls, ranged attacks, etc. I know it's unlikely that any actual first-time FE players will play a romhack, but who knows. You're right that the map functionally could have been rout, but I chose to make it seize to let the player easily discover how that mechanic works in a low-stress environment.

-Mend is probably too much of a staff initially. Felt like i couldn’t spam it for exp on her immediately. Could be a good or bad thing. Depends what your were going for.

She originally started with heal in development, but it caused her to constantly fall behind in xp for the first few chapters (heal gives pitiful xp). I wanted players to have no choice other than to use Mend so that their Fordra keeps up, at least until you get other staves like silence / physic which give more xp. Think of the heal staff you get at the end of Ch.1 as just a backup in case you break your Mend.

Edited by Roosterton

16 minutes ago, Roosterton said:

She originally started with heal in development, but it caused her to constantly fall behind in xp for the first few chapters (heal gives pitiful xp). I wanted players to have no choice other than to use Mend so that their Fordra keeps up, at least until you get other staves like silence / physic which give more xp. Think of the heal staff you get at the end of Ch.1 as just a backup in case you break your Mend.

I have noticed that you get an awful lot of droppable Mend staves in this game.

EDIT: Did you ever consider increasing the amount of EXP certain Staves give?

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

9 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

EDIT: Did you ever consider increasing the amount of EXP certain Staves give?

I actually couldn't find how to do this in FE8 documented anywhere online (beyond adjusting staff prices), so this was my first-time-romhacking bandage workaround. The alternative would have been to increase the EXP of all staves, but I didn't want to go that route either because then the big ones would give tons of exp.