Playing through the Tellius games... (For the first time!)

Tsak

@Tsak Something to keep in mind is that your clear game save can transfer to Radiant Dawn. I believe weapon levels and stats on maxed characters transfer. Also, some characters are just too much work to be useful. Makalov and Astrid are good examples of ones to avoid focusing on. Sothe can be worthwhile leveling to level 20 as it really can benefit him quite a bit in RD. Nephenee and Brom are incredibly useful units when promoted in comparison to Mia and Boyd. Those two require way too much work and luck to be great.

21 hours ago, Tsak said:

but that list was before i started chapter 14

whoops! I derped. 

How you liking the way the laguz are portrayed in this game?

Starting to see why after playing through the Tellius Saga, the backstory behind the demihumans of the newer games (taguel, kitsune, wolfskin...) and the way they were just tacked onto cast without ever really being integrated into the plot or the broader setting seems so lackluster?

Edited by Shoblongoo

8 hours ago, grinus said:

@Tsak Something to keep in mind is that your clear game save can transfer to Radiant Dawn. I believe weapon levels and stats on maxed characters transfer. Also, some characters are just too much work to be useful. Makalov and Astrid are good examples of ones to avoid focusing on. Sothe can be worthwhile leveling to level 20 as it really can benefit him quite a bit in RD. Nephenee and Brom are incredibly useful units when promoted in comparison to Mia and Boyd. Those two require way too much work and luck to be great.

I would disagree on Sothe - the direct transfer can actually HURT him, and it overall seems like too much resources devoted to him for not enough benefit.

10 hours ago, grinus said:

Mia i could see what you mean but Boyd is really great tbh. considering you have him from the start of the game and he's got access to what seemingly is the best weapon class. idk he seems quite solid. Astrid also is super easy to train and has 80% speed growth with the knight ward? idk she's been putting in work as of late, paragon is just too OP. Also considering BEXP works with paragon too just seems silly not to use her. Chip+Canto seems strong

2 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

whoops! I derped. 

How you liking the way the laguz are portrayed in this game?

Starting to see why after playing through the Tellius Saga, the backstory behind the demihumans of the newer games (taguel, kitsune, wolfskin...) and the way they were just tacked onto cast without ever really being integrated into the plot or the broader setting seems so lackluster?

I feel like Laguz are portrayed quite well in this game, I was never really a fan of animal transforming characters but PoR seems to have changed my mind on this. They are really well developed and are actually interesting.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I would disagree on Sothe - the direct transfer can actually HURT him, and it overall seems like too much resources devoted to him for not enough benefit.

ooo So if i don't train him he will be even worse? or will he just have like normal bases?
Like is it better to use him if i'm going to do a transfer or just ignore him?

55 minutes ago, Tsak said:

ooo So if i don't train him he will be even worse? or will he just have like normal bases?

I would just ignore him - Sothe is plenty good when he shows up in RD.

19 minutes ago, Tsak said:

If you train him to level 20 (and only then), Sothe's stats will be directly transferred to Radiant Dawn. But since he's just an unpromotable thief in PoR and starts as a Rogue in RD, the gains aren't that great.

The main page is actually a bit misleading in that regard - thanks to his Blossom skill, Sothes effecitive growth rates are quite different between random and fixed level-ups. Sothes average stats page uses the numbers for fixed mode, which are quite a bit lower and would (on average, of course) lead to Sothe starting with worse stats in most areas than he would without transfers. But as long as you're playing with random level-ups and maybe rig a couple level-ups via BEXP, Sothe will actually gain like 1-2 point in most stats. A bit more in Luck and none in Skl and Spd (he starts with 20 in both of those anyway).

That said, I still don't think Sothe profit that much from transfer boni, especially since it's a bit of a pain to give him levels in PoR with his bad base strength and the low might on knives. In RD, he plays more like a Jagen - early joining prepromote - and his base stats are fine as they are, anyway. He'd appreciate it, sure, but not more than most other PoR characters would.

In my opinion, Jill and Nephenee are the ones who can get the most out of transfers, if you want to go for it. Jill can snowball extremely well in RD and can become one of the two best units in the game if you get her rolling, and if she can start with +2 Str/Spd, she'll become OP even earlier. Unfortunately, her averages at level 20/20 tend to be just below her caps, so you'd have to either rig her level-ups or hoard statboosters in case she comes just short. It's a bit tedious, but possible to get her +2 in Str/Skl/Spd/Def that way.
In Neph's case, giving her transfers is honestly only important for exactly one chapter - in her join chapter in RD, you start the map with only her and Brom, and Neph could really, really use the +2 in Str/Spd, especially since she starts with a very heavy lance. After that, she's a decent, but not outstanding character.

Otherwise, I'd just go with whoever you like. Everyone likes the bonuses, but I don't think it's as impactful for anyone else than Jill and Neph. Ike is somewhat of a natural recipient because you want him to at a high level for PoR's endgame, anyway, though.

11 hours ago, grinus said:

Also, some characters are just too much work to be useful. Makalov and Astrid are good examples of ones to avoid focusing on.

I have to disagree here. While it is the most "optimal" choice to concentrate BEXP on a few great units, it is still absolutely viable to use it to kickstart an underleveled unit. Even the worst units in the game are still fairly easy to use without a big overall detriment.

And more specifically, Astrid is really good in PoR, although she does kinda blow in RD. Paragon is an amazing skill and she gains a lot of experience even when she doesn't take the kill herself. It also works on BEXP, so it's only half as expensive to give her that kickstart. And as soon as she promotes, she can wield axes (always the best choice for paladins, since Steel Axes and Hand Axes are E rank, unlike Javelins and Steel Lances). And while Makalov doesn't have Paragon (and also kinda blows in RD ;) ), he's still an OK unit just because Cavalier->Paladin is such an amazing class in this game.

53 minutes ago, Tsak said:

Boyd is really great tbh.

As far as pure combat prowess goes, Boyd might be the best unit in the game as soon as the level gap to Titania closes (or at least narrows). When he starts doubling, his damage output is just stupid.

1 hour ago, Tsak said:

If Sothe reaches level 20, his stats will transfer over. If he does not hit 20, his stats will not.

An exception is Sothe:

• If Sothe reached Level 20 in FE9, his FE9 stats will be transferred directly to FE10 (excludes Build or Movement).
  • If a FE9 stat is lower than a default FE10 stat, the FE9 stat will take precedence.
  • Since the Resistance cap is lower in FE10, if his Resistance was 16 to 20 in FE9 it will become 15 in FE10.

So if Sothe has a 36 HP Str stat at level 20 in PoR, and his base stat in RD for that is 35, he will have 36 HP, better. However, if his HP is 34, he will actually be worse off in RD.

Here are Sothe's (with Blossom) 20 averages in PoR. SF gives two sets of average values, the first for Fixed Mode, and the second for Random. Being this is your first playthrough, you are playing Random, so look at the Random set:

Spoiler
HP 32.67 Str 16.61 Mag 3.11 Skl 20 Spd 20 Lck 16.61 Def 11.39 Res 6.33

And the Random set:

HP 36.0 Str 19.4 Mag 4.6 Skl 20 Spd 20 Lck 20.2 Def 15.0 Res 9.7

Here are his RD bases:

Spoiler
HP 35 Str 18 Mag 4 Skl 20 Spd 20 Lck 15 Def 14 Res 9

On Fixed, Sothe turns out a bit worse than RD bases, but on Random, on average he turns out a bit better than RD bases.

You can only tie in Skl and Spd, since 20 is the PoR cap. Magic is near useless for him save for the magic cards and Imbue skill of RD.

An extra 2 Str if he hits 20 there is good for Sothe's combat though, if not good if you want him to feed kills to your weaker units initially.

Up to 5 extra HP (since it caps at 40 in PoR) can be a real help for durability, and if you rig Def to like 20, he will be very tanky. Up to 6 more Res is good as well, though enemy Mages are rather weak in RD, so not too many worries there. Extra Lck can help dodgetanking, and if you rig a point on every levelup and then feed him both Ashera Icons, you get it to 28, since the PoR universal Lck cap is 40, and nobody will normally hit it, so giving Sothe the Icons is a good idea for transfers.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

@Tsak I've played through PoR around 10 times now and Boyd has always been mediocre for me. I guess I've been lucky with Sothe but I've always given him the majority of the stat boosting items so that may have something to do with it. The consistently great units always end up being Titania, Oscar, Jill, Ike, Nephenee, Marcia, Brom, and Gatrie. Maybe, my particular playstyle has a lot to do with who ends up being useful.

I tend to avoid levelling Lethe due to her being nerfed in RD which makes her fairly useless while being pretty overpowered in PoR. I have a fairly petty reason when it comes to Makalov. His pink hair annoys me. :) I also avoid levelling pre-promoted units like Tauroneo and most of the other Laguz units since they are actually better in RD regardless of transfer. I use them mostly to level the units I prefer. 

Thanks for the info guys! So I'm gonna let Sothe shine in RD and he can take a backseat in PoR on the bench.

Nephenee i almost want her and brom to be worse so it makes that RD chapter more interesting.

Astrid & Jill are doing great atm so i'll continue to use them. Makalov is not seeing much use, but who knows i might get to him

1 hour ago, grinus said:

@Tsak I've played through PoR around 10 times now and Boyd has always been mediocre for me. I guess I've been lucky with Sothe but I've always given him the majority of the stat boosting items so that may have something to do with it. The consistently great units always end up being Titania, Oscar, Jill, Ike, Nephenee, Marcia, Brom, and Gatrie. Maybe, my particular playstyle has a lot to do with who ends up being useful.

I tend to avoid levelling Lethe due to her being nerfed in RD which makes her fairly useless while being pretty overpowered in PoR. I have a fairly petty reason when it comes to Makalov. His pink hair annoys me. :) I also avoid levelling pre-promoted units like Tauroneo and most of the other Laguz units since they are actually better in RD regardless of transfer. I use them mostly to level the units I prefer. 

The question, as I see it, is: is it really worth all that investment into Sothe in this game just to make him marginally better in RD? I think it is not.

I would disagree on laguz units in RD - the hawks are about the only ones that are better in RD than in PoR.

Maybe I overlooked it but I haven't seen anyone mention this about PoR transfers: For Weapon Rank bonuses it does absolutely not matter if you hit level 20. They will be applied no matter what. And you don't actually need to cap your weapon level either, a C-Rank will already get you a bonus. Going higher then that will simply increase that bonus.

Either way, Radiant Dawn is probably better played without transfers, honestly. Like, making Ike even more broken really doesn't add to the game experience.

Edited by BrightBow

@ping I'm not sure what difficulty you are playing on but I generally lose Astrid on the map you get her on before I can get my units in to protect her.  I've only managed to save her on 4 of the 10 playthroughs. Also, I always end up giving her knight ward to Brom or Oscar.  Maybe, I play too defensively to save her in time.

8 minutes ago, grinus said:

@ping I'm not sure what difficulty you are playing on but I generally lose Astrid on the map you get her on before I can get my units in to protect her.  I've only managed to save her on 4 of the 10 playthroughs. Also, I always end up giving her knight ward to Brom or Oscar.  Maybe, I play too defensively to save her in time.

I never had that problem. I just shove Ike several times to get her.

3 hours ago, grinus said:

Just doing normal. She is in quite a dangerous position but it was no biggie. I'll probably do difficult after i complete RD. I like to do a casual playthrough first and get the lay of the land before i go guns blazing on harder difficulties

Edited by Tsak

@Tsak Long as you are enjoying the game, nothing else really matters but it certainly does feel that difficulty was lowered for the American audiences. The hard difficulty feels more like the normal of the typical Fire Emblem game. 

50 minutes ago, Tsak said:

Just doing normal. She is in quite a dangerous position but it was no biggie. I'll probably do difficult after i complete RD. I like to do a casual playthrough first and get the lay of thel and before i go guns blazing on harder difficulties

recruiting astrid on hard mode was a pain, she is guaranteed to die on the first turn if you don't shove a ton or get really lucky, I think PoR had some of my least favorite ship maps in the series, they range from unfair to aggravating.

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

recruiting astrid on hard mode was a pain, she is guaranteed to die on the first turn if you don't shove a ton or get really lucky, I think PoR had some of my least favorite ship maps in the series, they range from unfair to aggravating.

Yeah i used mordecai to smite Ike into range, she definitely doesn't have a good time with those doubling myrmidons nearby

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 8:26 PM, Affinity said:

Interested to know how the remainder of the game progressed for you.

haha sorry i got a lot on my plate atm, so i'm on chapter 21 atm. Haven't progressed further yet, I will finish it soon though. Just been dealing with a lot of stuff atm.

i'm thinking about streaming the rest of the playthrough on twitch... thoughts?

Probably gonna try to play fast and reckless to make it interesting, so it doesn't take forever.

EDIT: Nvm probably not a good idea

Edited by Tsak

• 5 weeks later...