(Finally!) Own Path Of Radiance. Any Help for the New Girl?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Ike promotes after capter 17, so have him at a high level at this time.

- The final boss is only vulnerable to Ike and some other units. Ike is the best way to go, so keep having him enough strength and speed.

-Chapter 27 has an optional boss, who is difficult to beat and requieres luck as well. Thats why the game gives you the option to flee.

man i am loving this game.  i love how it's making me think even though i have to go a lot slower and i miss the mega danger area like in Awakening/Fates/SOV.
but i keep screaming "NO! TURNWHEEL! TURNWHEEL!" lol everytime i go somewhere i didn't want to (I swear SOV spoiled me with that sucker haha).

so i got my Ike to like level 20 before chapter 7
boyd/oscar is there too, (they kept getting crits) Soren's finally getting there (he keeps crit-ing kills away from Illyana and Rolf) so i am using a lot of my bonus ex to try to keep them balanced. i guess i have some lethal mercenaries :D 

Edited by daisy jane

On 5/26/2018 at 9:50 AM, silveraura25 said:

Always pick axes for paladin promotions. A lot of your enemies are going to be lance users and steel axes are E rank

thanks. I picked bow for Oscar, but then the black knight came out of the house and started killing everyone :( 
so i had to restart and so i'll choose axe for everyone now. i'm trying to baby rolf, and he's at level 8 but holy moses is he taking forever to get lethal. 

(sigh) I totally forgot about the house. and i had to heal someone and.... yah. Black Knight murderage. . 

5 hours ago, daisy jane said:

so i got my Ike to like level 20 before chapter 7
boyd/oscar is there too, (they kept getting crits) Soren's finally getting there (he keeps crit-ing kills away from Illyana and Rolf) so i am using a lot of my bonus ex to try to keep them balanced. i guess i have some lethal mercenaries :D 

Um, really? You fed Ike pretty much everything in the first few chapters?

19 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

i'm trying to baby rolf, and he's at level 8 but holy moses is he taking forever to get lethal. 

That is what it means to be an archer - you require a crapton of work, and likely don't pay off enough to justify it.

7 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Um, really? You fed Ike pretty much everything in the first few chapters?

That is what it means to be an archer - you require a crapton of work, and likely don't pay off enough to justify it.

people kept going after him. 
(okay maybe it's my fault, (a little) because i'm so used to the danger areas). but like even if i had like a star formation, (to protect Rhys let's say) they ALWAYS went for Ike (and Soren). i even had him retreat for a while and people came after him. hence. he got all the experience.  so i've been trying to get Mia going (who sucks but she works kinda well to get Rolf his kills and Mist her healing exp). 

However, I am really thinking it's better to let rolf just sit down now and just put a handaxe (or javelin) on people.

i also had Lethe do some work in Chapter 11 (before the Black-Knight-Murderthon), but then i realised she was a Titania (who i've benched or unequiped to give others a chance, so after i get the other sword fighter in chapter 11, i'm going to have her be backup or something)

Edited by daisy jane

Question:

I  lost  Sothe (such a stupid mistake too, i mis-read the laguz counter on chapter 15). 
i am thinking  of just  letting it go ( I did a  lot of grinding  of my lower characters (Jill,  Nephanee, and Astrid etc) though. He was only on level 1. 

and i just realised he was holding the Boots + the Physic :( that was really stinky. (sigh)

Edited by daisy jane

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 7:22 PM, daisy jane said:

I am 100 percent "new school" Fire Emblem, which is to say, I play casual mode and normal. 

Give me your impression of how the story, setting, and worldbuilding stacks up to the newer games when you're done with it.

When old players say "man...the plot and dialogue and tropy character designs in these new games are shit compared to what they use to do in some of the old ones."

...Tellius Saga is the gold standard that everything else gets compared to (and bare in mind this isn't even half the saga. The events of Path of Radiance are basically just prequel and set-up to the events of Radiant Dawn, where the main conflict unfold)

______
PRO-TIP: This game throws money at you.  Hit the forge every chapter you have a chance to do so and spend, spend, spend, spend; theres no reward for stockpiling your gold. 

Max MT forged iron with moderately improved hit rate is not super-expensive to craft, and can bring the damage output and accuracy of otherwise underwhelming units immediately up-to-snuff if you're trying to grind up some underleveled characters.

...or just make your best characters better...   

You got this. Its a simple enough game to figure out--Tellius difficulty doesn't spike until Radiant Dawn.

Edited by Shoblongoo

Definitely try to pick up Stefan in the desert map in Chapter 15. He comes with a sword that gives him a massive edge above the other myrmidons. You will need either Mordecai or Lethe to pick him up. Search around the upper right corner area of the map with them. 

You'll definitely end up playing through it more than once.  I'm on my 12th playthrough.

On 6/8/2018 at 10:13 PM, daisy jane said:

Question:

I  lost  Sothe (such a stupid mistake too, i mis-read the laguz counter on chapter 15). 
i am thinking  of just  letting it go ( I did a  lot of grinding  of my lower characters (Jill,  Nephanee, and Astrid etc) though. He was only on level 1. 

and i just realised he was holding the Boots + the Physic :( that was really stinky. (sigh)

Sothe is the most useless character in the game. I know you posted this a few days ago, but I figured I'd let you know that nothing of value was lost. Boots and the staff are nice, but nothing essential to your journey.

How are you enjoying the rest of the game so far? PoR is my personal favorite..I bought it 3 days after it released back in 2005 on a whim. I thought it was Marth on the cover and I was really digging the cover art, so I bought it.

iirc sothe has an assassin model in-game, but for some fucking reason it's never implemented lol.

PoR is absolutely fun. Try using wrath/resolve Ike to solo a certain bossfight in which the only other unit that can come is mist.

also mist is good in this game unlike fe10 since she can get access to MAGIC SWORDS like the sonic sword and make a total and utter massacre alongside the rest of the mounted force.

1 minute ago, Czarpy said:

Try using wrath/resolve Ike to solo a certain bossfight in which the only other unit that can come is mist.

Except for the part where, you know, you cannot because Resolve doesn't come until the chapter in question.

11 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Except for the part where, you know, you cannot because Resolve doesn't come until the chapter in question.

I hear "use Wrath-Resolve" all the time and his is always my response. Sometimes I second-guess myself and wonder "can you equip skills mid-mission?"

iirc, the most reliable way to beat that particular boss (which is still not reliable at all) is Adapt+ResolveWrath, which you can then change to Wrath+Resolve before the next chapter. The main reason to just stick with Aether is honestly just the animation. :D

Edited by ping

5 hours ago, ping said:

iirc, the most reliable way to beat that particular boss (which is still not reliable at all) is Adapt+Resolve, which you can then change to Wrath+Resolve before the next chapter. The main reason to just stick with Aether is honestly just the animation. :D

Don't you mean Adept-Wrath?

1 minute ago, bethany81707 said:

Don't you mean Adept-Wrath?

Yep. Oops! :D

Thanks for catching that.

On 6/18/2018 at 5:00 PM, Shoblongoo said:

Give me your impression of how the story, setting, and worldbuilding stacks up to the newer games when you're done with it.

When old players say "man...the plot and dialogue and tropy character designs in these new games are shit compared to what they use to do in some of the old ones."

...Tellius Saga is the gold standard that everything else gets compared to (and bare in mind this isn't even half the saga. The events of Path of Radiance are basically just prequel and set-up to the events of Radiant Dawn, where the main conflict unfold)

______
PRO-TIP: This game throws money at you.  Hit the forge every chapter you have a chance to do so and spend, spend, spend, spend; theres no reward for stockpiling your gold. 

Max MT forged iron with moderately improved hit rate is not super-expensive to craft, and can bring the damage output and accuracy of otherwise underwhelming units immediately up-to-snuff if you're trying to grind up some underleveled characters.

...or just make your best characters better...   

You got this. Its a simple enough game to figure out--Tellius difficulty doesn't spike until Radiant Dawn.

I will :) 
also - I didn't realise that about forging (and money). when i play next i won't be so stingey because now it's like. umm. hello. and I didn't realise that you could only forge once once I actually started to do it. that's also good to know :)

On 6/18/2018 at 5:26 PM, Czarpy said:

Don't forget to look for stefan.

Also don't talk to shiharam with jill. seriously don't do it.

Got him! and I didn't do that. 

On 6/18/2018 at 5:59 PM, grinus said:

Definitely try to pick up Stefan in the desert map in Chapter 15. He comes with a sword that gives him a massive edge above the other myrmidons. You will need either Mordecai or Lethe to pick him up. Search around the upper right corner area of the map with them. 

You'll definitely end up playing through it more than once.  I'm on my 12th playthrough.

hehe good to know :)

On 6/18/2018 at 6:14 PM, Czarpy said:

don't forget to try the growth modifier items like the knight band

i never got it 

other notes

Okay - 

1: Thanks for making me feel better about losing Sothe. 
I DID lose the boots, but not the physic. I was never using him other than getting the extra thief stuff, but it was really more of. "I really really mis-read the counter" thing. (I still don't get how the Laguz thing works. lol so it cost me again in a later chapter no death)

2: I did Aether on Ike. I had him maxed out on Strength/Speed/ and I wanna say Skill? (He's like REALLY maxed my Ike, he keeps like dodging everything). and I lucked out on the 4th go-around and Aethered that solo fight. (I was soooo happy that I won) :) 

3: I don't think i put skills on anyone. I read that you lost skills if you removed them. the Only person i put an occult scroll on was Ike (Aether) and Volke (Lethality)

4: My Rolf has become really awesome. so I was glad i put the time into training him. (It kinda sucks though it takes forever to "S rank him and A rank Soren. I was trying to get them balanced in magic, but I think in my next playthrough (which I'm gonna do!) I'm just gonna concentrate on Wind for Soren so i can use A rank magics)

Edited by daisy jane

3 hours ago, daisy jane said:

I don't think i put skills on anyone. I read that you lost skills if you removed them. the Only person i put an occult scroll on was Ike (Aether) and Volke (Lethality)

Any reason why you put one on Volke? It’s honestly a waste compared to something like Sol.

3 hours ago, daisy jane said:

My Rolf has become really awesome. so I was glad i put the time into training him. (It kinda sucks though it takes forever to "S rank him and A rank Soren. I was trying to get them balanced in magic, but I think in my next playthrough (which I'm gonna do!) I'm just gonna concentrate on Wind for Soren so i can use A rank magics)

You aren’t missing out on much - the Double Bow is junk and Tornado has the might of an iron bow.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Any reason why you put one on Volke? It’s honestly a waste compared to something like Sol.

You aren’t missing out on much - the Double Bow is junk and Tornado has the might of an iron bow.

thanks! :)

oh. lethality was one of my favourite moves in awakening so i was like oooooh. (i didn't realise it was a waste).

after that i didn't put anything on anyone else. because i didn't know who would benefit from what. Like Neph's wrath wasn't awesome anymore because she like never got hit.

12 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

thanks! :)

oh. lethality was one of my favourite moves in awakening so i was like oooooh. (i didn't realise it was a waste).

after that i didn't put anything on anyone else. because i didn't know who would benefit from what. Like Neph's wrath wasn't awesome anymore because she like never got hit.

I never found Lethality useful in Awakening - it's just way too unreliable, and the one instance it could legitimately be useful is one where everything winds up being immune to it anyhow. Sadly, it was even worse in PoR, where the one character who gets it has crit rates too low to get anything out of it.

Fair enough.