Association Football 2018-19 incl. World Cup discussion

Bullwine85

Since the previous thread has gone over a year since their last post and has gone past the first page, I thought it'd be appropriate to start a new thread.

Champions League final was today, in which Karius has assured that he will receive a standing ovation at Old Trafford and Goodison Park. Shame about Salah, as he is the player I felt would put Egypt through to the Round of 16, but with his injury, I have doubts on how well Egypt will peform.

Speaking of which, the local fans in my area are compiling a list of teams of who to root for during this year's World Cup, considering the US national team embarassing themselves and their country in qualifying (though there is still hope despite the debacle, as it seems to be the much needed wake-up call). My list consists of Germany, Iceland, Poland, and anyone playing Mexico.

I'm cheering on Odin's Eleven because seeing Argentina get eliminated in groups by Iceland, Nigeria and Croatia (which is more possible than it first sounds) would be hilarious.

Money on Belgium winning, though.

28 minutes ago, Life said:

I'm cheering on Odin's Eleven because seeing Argentina get eliminated in groups by Iceland, Nigeria and Croatia (which is more possible than it first sounds) would be hilarious.

Money on Belgium winning, though.

My bold prediction is that Iceland will make it out of the group at Argentina's expense.

As far as Belgium is concerned, they have the talent, but they're less than the sum of their parts. I have them getting thoroughly exposed by Brazil in the quarterfinals.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Missed this topic.

I still have to hear about 1966 from English commentators. If England actually win another World Cup I will legitimately never hear the end of it until I die.

Just now, Edgelord said:

Missed this topic.

I still have to hear about 1966 from English commentators. If England actually win another World Cup I will legitimately never hear the end of it until I die.

What's that, I can't hear you over the fact that IT'S COMING HOME

39 minutes ago, Edgelord said:

i play three lions unironically every so often

but togetherness

and unity

means victory,

in italy!

8 minutes ago, Edgelord said:

it's going slav

Honestly, I just wanted to see the english destroy their own country in a drunken riot had they won. Like philly, but 1000 times worse

Edited by UNLEASH IT

I feel a little bad at being happy about England not winning. Still want to see if Croatia can beat back a France looking to make history though. It might be the one bridge too far though.

It's an odd world cup in general though, can't say that any one side is looking like the definite champions this time around. Could have had very different final four if some teams had played better than they did this time (Germany were last in their group, think about that), though sadly I can't say there was any team I was as impressed on their form as an out of nowhere side like Costa Rica last time either.

The fan in me wants Croatia to win

The selfish man in me who has money in his local pool wants France to win.

On a side note, the US road to redemption starts in September. The squads called up since the qualifying debacle show that Bradley and Jozy can kindly go away and never put on a US shirt again, as this younger generation looks like they may actually do something. Good thing too, considering that we're hosting the 2026 World Cup, we've got 8 years to not look like complete crap.

Edited by Bullwine85

ass. 

I feel extremely hard done with this. france shouldn't have had the first goal because it resulted from a dive. the VAR decision was contentious and while I first thought it was a penalty albeit a softer one, after looking at it again it's hard to say that was definitely deliberate (just because ball hits hand does not mean handball per rules). fair play to france for some of the play from mbappe and pogba but almost everything went against croatia today. referee was shit.

france got outplayed by croatia almost every moment of this game. I don't mind losing that money, because I knew France were the favourites, but they were second best here and undeserved winners. just sad to see.

Edited by Edgelord