E3 2018 Schedule/Discussion/Hype Thread

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, The DanMan said:

I don't give a damn about who "wins" E3 or whatever, I just want to see the games.

100% agree with that statement. We can debate this all day long, but at the end of the day E3 only has only ever had 2 winners.

The investors paying for the games and the fans who get to play them.

@Retyl Sony will very likely focus on Last of us 2. Every Sony PS4 owner has been clamouring for it for quite some time now. 

It would be interesting to see some gameplay for Death Stranding but I get the impression that a gameplay demo is not a priority for it. You are probably right about Spiderman though since that is being made by Insomniac Games this time around and everyone loves those guys.

I'm sure they will spend quite a bit of time on a bunch of indie developer titles as they have done previously. It would be good if they did show some new things though. 

What I fully expect to see and care about:

Spyro Reignited second trailer, finally showing Spyro 2 story and gameplay footage. Still holding back content on Spyro 3.

More Octo Expansion, finally giving release date. Not much time on this.

Team Sonic Racing footage and more character reveals (Team Dark was revealed today), and release window.

Fire Emblem 16 reveal and release window. (Mind you, if we don't see it, then it's a confirmed delay to 2019, as Ninty said E3 is focusing on 2018 games)

Pokémon Let's Go footage and info. Further details on combat, co-op, and the starter customization.

Smash character reveals, probably including Eevee, FE16 lord, Tails, Ice Climbers, and Wolf, and listing who does and doesn't return from 4. Confirmation or open denial of new adventure mode. 

MediEvil Remake gameplay and release window.

Kingdom Hearts 3 gameplay trailer and release date, showing off more Pixar worlds. 

Death Stranding related things.

FFVII Remake reassurance. Best case is new trailer showing the new visual style and gameplay differences from original reveal.

A trailer for that magic academy game the Stardew Valley guy is making.

New Switches, with more colors and designs. 

What could happen that would be up my alley:

Entirely new Star Fox. Confirming or denying the Grand Prix rumors. 

Animal Crossing on Switch.

Switch port of Spyro Reignited confirmed, but delayed for months after PS4/XBONE releases.

Final Fantasy XVI reveal, first proper glimpse of FFXI mobile version, first bits of info for FFXIV 5.0 now that we're a year into 4.x content.

Xenoblade Chronicles X2 reveal.

A ton of really cool indie games.

Improbable but it'd be a big deal:

Mother Trilogy release.

43 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

What I fully expect to see and care about:

Improbable but it'd be a big deal:

Finally somebody willing to make some BETS with me

Fire Emblem 16 reveal and release window. (Mind you, if we don't see it, then it's a confirmed delay to 2019, as Ninty said E3 is focusing on 2018 games

Nintendo also phrased it as "get a look at games releasing for Nintendo Switch in 2017" last year. This video has the only screenshot of it I can find. And several 2018 games were announced including Kirby, Yoshi, Metroid Prime 4, and the promise of a Pokemon game. So I would be genuinely shocked if there were little to no 2019 games teased, especially when it comes to first party games like Fire Emblem. Wouldn't mind a delay myself. I think this new game could use a lot of time in the oven and development of Echoes only wrapped up a little over a year ago.

MediEvil Remake gameplay and release window

Holy crow I forgot that was announced. What a charming game. And I finally have a PS4 to play it again.

Mother Trilogy release

Was actually hyping up a friend about this possibility yesterday. All three games remastered in 3D with the option of playing the originals. I'm really curious what Mother 1 and Earthbound would be like if half the stats worked properly. Releases on the series 30th anniversary in July 2019. Or what the hell, have it come out on Mother's Day.

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Finally somebody willing to make some BETS with me

Nintendo also phrased it as "get a look at games releasing for Nintendo Switch in 2017" last year. This video has the only screenshot of it I can find. And several 2018 games were announced including Kirby, Yoshi, Metroid Prime 4, and the promise of a Pokemon game. So I would be genuinely shocked if there were little to no 2019 games teased, especially when it comes to first party games like Fire Emblem. Wouldn't mind a delay myself. I think this new game could use a lot of time in the oven and development of Echoes only wrapped up a little over a year ago.

Holy crow I forgot that was announced. What a charming game. And I finally have a PS4 to play it again.

Was actually hyping up a friend about this possibility yesterday. All three games remastered in 3D with the option of playing the originals. I'm really curious what Mother 1 and Earthbound would be like if half the stats worked properly. Releases on the series 30th anniversary in July 2019. Or what the hell, have it come out on Mother's Day.

Hey, if Nintendo is happy to detail some early 2019 games, I'd be down for that as long as it's not more cases of games releasing 3+ years after reveal. That's become detrimental to most games.

I just want to play MediEvil since I misses out the first time.

Mother 3 being officially released by Nintendo in some form is a meme even Nintendo plays with, but there are a whole host of reasons it hasn't, ranging from censorship concerns and copyright skirting imagery.

But it's so intensely desired, especially after the meme, and the Mother series overall has an actual reputation and following now that it lacked in the SNES days. (Apparently lots of bugs to fix, too, going by your comment.)

Plus, remakes and classic game compilations are a hot trend in games right now.

I just think it's something Nintendo COULD do, but really find the chances very small despite the shock and delight ot would garner.

14 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

Hey, if Nintendo is happy to detail some early 2019 games, I'd be down for that as long as it's not more cases of games releasing 3+ years after reveal. That's become detrimental to most games.

I just want to play MediEvil since I misses out the first time.

Mother 3 being officially released by Nintendo in some form is a meme even Nintendo plays with, but there are a whole host of reasons it hasn't, ranging from censorship concerns and copyright skirting imagery.

But it's so intensely desired, especially after the meme, and the Mother series overall has an actual reputation and following now that it lacked in the SNES days. (Apparently lots of bugs to fix, too, going by your comment.)

Plus, remakes and classic game compilations are a hot trend in games right now.

I just think it's something Nintendo COULD do, but really find the chances very small despite the shock and delight ot would garner.

Meh, I played the fanslation of Mother 3 which is very faithful and not risque. A T ESRB rating won't kill a game that mostly twenty-somethings were looking forward to playing. Earthbound's Wii U VC re-release landed it a T rating mostly due to veiled drug references which Mother 3 is also guilty of. There's not much in Mother 3 that stands out against Earthbound. There are a cast of transvestite characters, but those have appeared in numerous games from Final Fantasy to Fire Emblem. At least in this game said characters are not cast as villains like every Japanese game I can think of. Oh and Lucas' bare ass is hanging out from his trousers in a comedic scene. I hear people bring up the animal abuse in one chapter but it's important to note that your protagonist is the subject of that abuse and your abuser is very obviously a bad person. Earthbound has a father spanking his son ten minutes into the game. I can't see anything that needs to be censored and they have the benefit of writing the translation from scratch to make sure everything is tastefully represented in the English language.

This bit is speculation but Soraya Saga retweeted the E3 Nintendo Direct announcement and usually, whenever she retweets something, Monolith Soft is gonna be involved. But realistically, it's probably just the reveal of the Xenoblade 2 Story DLC. I don't expect any major Monolith Soft announcements during the E3 Direct other than that.

Maybe a new Xenoblade rep in Smash but that's more of a Smash announcement.

7 hours ago, Altrosa said:

7 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Xenoblade Chronicles X2 reveal

Gonna go ahead and say that X2 isn't happening this soon (though i'd love to be proven wrong here). A Switch port of X is much more likely and there's still that new IP that Monolith Soft is working on and i doubt that is also being shown off. I mean, it might, but they are still recruiting people for that project.

We know that Monolith Soft wants to make a Xenoblade X2. And a Xenoblade 3. There was a message in a booklet that came with the physical version of the XC2 OST that said so. But i doubt we'd be seeing those two before 2020.

The transvestite characters are sketchy and one thing to note, but I think NOW they wouldn't make anyone bat an eye, but when the game came out for GBA is an entirely different story. Progress!

To be more specific, though, I recall an article noting the sheer amount of little real world details that had to be changed for the Western audience that's more with how companies are more strict with logo usage. Earthbound was not a sinple localization job.

Xenoblade X2 is 100% wishful thinking. I'll take a port of X1, too, but man do I want more of that X storyline.

Edited by Altrosa

So uh, that leak that said that games like Fortnite and Paladins and DBFZ was coming to Switch? I dismissed that because there was no way Not Overwatch (Paladins) was coming to Switch before Overwatch did. But uh,

https://nintendowire.com/news/2018/06/06/nintendo-uploads-files-for-paladins-to-eshop/

So looks like that leak was real after all.

18 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I have a feeling Smash is going to generate some salt.

Par for the course.

I hope to see something on Cyberpunk 2077.

Edited by Tryhard

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I have a feeling Smash is going to generate some salt. I still believe that its either a port or that it will heavily borrow from Smash Wii-U and that this won't sit well with people who are expecting a brand new Smash

All the signs point to it being a new game. Even if it borrows from 4 (which it probably will since 4 seems to be the sweet spot between the competitive Melee and the casual Brawl), it's still gonna be a new game, because it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to be incredibly secretive about this game if it was just a port.

39 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Loaded up the OP with appropriate links. Does anybody else dress up just to watch E3 from home?

Define dress up...

Though the answer is almost definitely no.

EA's press conference starts soon.....which means E3 actually starts tomorrow because EA's conference is just "how can we make ourselves E3's laughing stock again" the show.

On 6/6/2018 at 4:29 AM, Altrosa said:

Xenoblade X2 is 100% wishful thinking. I'll take a port of X1, too, but man do I want more of that X storyline.

What storyline?

I kid. I too am interested in seeing how things go.

Although I'm not they'd start with Elma and the White Whale, a sidequest featuring Lara Nara (or Lara Mara, I forget which identical Japanese gay stereotype guy it was) mentions they might have picked up communications in Japanese or some other Earth language as the White Whale was crashing into Mira. Which would indicate another ark of humanity is still out there possibly. Since you can't loop around the planet in X as you can in many games which encompass an entire planet, and I think another tiny bit of NPC talk mention the detection of more continents, then it is possible that they could set X2 on this other, let us say half, of Mira playing as the crew of the second surviving ark. This would make things easier to get into for new players than just picking up with Elma where X left off. But if you aren't the avatar of X, then how to treat them when getting back to Elma and the White Whale? Sudden heroic sacrifice before you meet up with Elma?

I do want X2 more story-driven, since it has potential that shouldn't go to waste, but at the same time I like the open world and don't want to lose that. The MMO aspect can also be furthered, but I would like a bit less postgame grinding and more variety.

12 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Loaded up the OP with appropriate links. Does anybody else dress up just to watch E3 from home?

The proper thing is to dress all the way down and let E3 into flow into every pore of your being, let the hype become your body.

When Nintendo gets to the FE16 trailer, I might just jump off at that point and wait two minutes before watching the presentation again. My heart wouldn't be able to handle the ride, just shove the game into hands and let me try it. I'll be staying away from all SF FE16 talk too, if I can.

5 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

You say that as if they didn't already.

Always a chance of a revival.

I have yet to see a franchise come back from mobilization.

10 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The monsters turned Command & Conquer into a mobile game.

THE MONSTERS KILLED C&C

Once I finished wrapping my head around mobile esports I finally understood this and yeah, that's pretty dirty.

EA desperately needed more Battlefield but I guess the rest is tomorrow during Microsoft. I will say Sea of Solitude was low key one of the most endearing parts of a conference I've ever seen. Even more than the Mario + Rabbids reveal last year.