E3 2018 Schedule/Discussion/Hype Thread

Bethesda in ten minutes. Fallout 76 is my second most anticipated game guaranteed to appear at E3. I was captivated by that trailer a few hours ago. I'm not really expecting much from this conference, but I would love a DOOM sequel to get announced. ID Software is just knocking these games out of the park. Unfortunately I could not get to Rage in my backlog to know if I should be anticipating its sequel.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Tryhard said:

They already confirmed it was for Xbox One, PS4, Switch and Steam:

Vesperia? Great! I'm not the biggest Tales fan, but Vesperia has caught my interest as being supposedly one of the better ones. Very "anime" like all Tales, and the plot apparently falters later on (where ToA and ToS also had issues), but I won't mind too much. Not going to remotely try 100%ing the game, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy it. Want to see what Yuri is like, apparently he isn't that bad a protag, and a little bit different.

And I'm happy for Microsoft fans, not that I watched the presentation at all, nor ever have owned anything Xbox related, or anything really from a "Western" gaming genre. But hey, Microsoft is no real threat to Ninty, since Nintendo doesn't exactly try to directly compete with Sony and Microsoft, thinking more "besides the box". As long as Nintendo is not threatened, viva to all methods of gaming!

NieR: Automata got announced for XBone, which makes it seem likely it will also come to Switch.

It's weird that I'm so hyped for the possibility of a port of a game I've already played.

I give the Bethesda conference a D+

• Lots of self congratulatory praise.
  • Multiplayer Fallout game, eeeehhh
  • Mobile Elder Scroll ehhh
  • The next project is another version of No Man Sky?
  • Doom 2 gameplay is going to show up later.
  • The next  Elder Scroll game is going to  be in development for the next 4-5 years. Not much to be excited for.

Overall I'm not impressed

19 minutes ago, Florete said:

It's weird that I'm so hyped for the possibility of a port of a game I've already played.

Not necessarily. If you love the game, you're just a missionary wanting to see the word of God spread for all to hear and embrace. That and if you do really love it, no number of playthroughs will stop being fun and you'll therefore provided money isn't an issue like having it on as many platforms that are convenient for you as possible.

Bethesda was okay. An improvement over last year, but I feel like they didn't have the kick needed behind what was shown. A decent amount was an add on to what we've seen before, the online aspect of 76 stops me from getting interested, and Rage 2 looked fine, nothing spectacular.

As for the new games, I'm happy to see Elder Scrolls move forward, a new I.P. is always nice, and Doom Eternal makes me very excited. Unfortunately, we aren't seeing those until a year later at the earliest.

The highlight was honestly Skyrim: Very Special Edition. My friends and I couldn't stop laughing.

That Rage band performance was dumb but also kind of self aware. I think the camera crew really searched hard for the most forced smiles in the audience. There's a reason they lit up the stands that much. Ah, not a great conference. Lots of presenter hiccups and pauses. But Pete Hines and Todd Howard jokes were generally on point. I don't like that they replayed today's earlier trailer for Fallout 76 before the new trailer. Didn't need that. Doom Eternal is hype and they promised when we'll see more. Can't wait to see Hell on Earth. Wolfenstein and Prey DLC look great. Elder Scrolls phone game looks surprisingly fun, but I hate how they handled Elder Scrolls 6. No trailer, no title. "Stop asking us about Elder Scrolls 6". Nothing to share. Also nothing to share about Starfield? Low lows in this conference. And god why was this as long as Microsofts? So much time was wasted compared to them. There were awesome games to talk about but the conference was super tedious in its presentation. Todd Howard's story about previous E3s, and come on dude. This is not a podcast. 

Now for Fallout thoughts

Spoiler

I'm worried that co-op and a massive map is their substitute for meaningful quests and stories. Not one NPC appeared in the trailer except for some Mister Handys in the vault. Fallout 4's base game had like three meaningful quests outside of the faction quests, making for a hollow single player experience. So yes we can play this new game in single player, but is it a worthwhile single player experience?  Nuking other players also sounds mean, and I'm hoping it will be easy to retrieve anything that took a lot of resources to build. I'll definitely enjoy playing this with friends, and the lack of servers gives me hope that I won't play the game one day and find all my stuff destroyed. And I like Todd Howard's reassurances of peoples' fears about the game. I'm conflicted about the game, but hopeful I'll find something to love about it.

Gonna go watch Devolver's video to detox, and you should too. Because tomorrow is Act 2 of E3 2018. Bright and early, we will Praise Nomura. The conference I cynically predicted I would rate the lowest based on shows I've seen SE put out in the past. Can't wait!

Edited by Glennstavos

Bethesda press conference felt like the EA conference. I used to love them so much but with Elder Scrolls VI so far away, I'm losing faith quickly. Starfield could be interesting but everything else felt the same. Multiplayer Fallout doesn't appeal to me but I guess there are Fallout fans who are. I think I'm just really bored with first-person shooters which is pretty much the majority of games for Bethesda these days.

1 hour ago, Tonton said:

DEVOLVER WINS E3

I can't decide between Devolver and Bethesda, based purely on them catering to my highly specific demands.

Bethesda gave me Andrew WK(Fuck whatever else they did), Devolver gave me Metal Wolf Chaos.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But hey, Microsoft is no real threat to Ninty, since Nintendo doesn't exactly try to directly compete with Sony and Microsoft, thinking more "besides the box". As long as Nintendo is not threatened, viva to all methods of gaming!

Guess serenesforest forums aren't really the demographic who cares "who wins E3"? For me I'm surprised that Microsoft beats Bethesda; I see them as joint-winners with Devolver for now. But I'm still in the camp that if Nintendo wants the Switch to be a success they should continue to seduce over the 3rd parties like From, SqEnix, if possible CD Projekt Red etc

Microsoft do have the problem that a lot of their games shown are multiplatforms, and the ones that were exclusives weren't the most anticipated - meaning it probably doesn't help them practically. However, I will be surprised if either Sony or Nintendo puts on a better show than them this year.

I get that it's a Fire Emblem board and I'm sure it'll be good when shown but it isn't the end all and be all.

I haven't had a chance to check Bethesda's yet but I am excited for the prospect of a Doom sequel.

Edited by Tryhard

4 hours ago, Retyl said:

I skimmed Microsoft conference but Devil May Cry 5! So looking forward to playing that game. As for EA, I didn't think that anything from EA would catch my interest but Journey Two and Sea of Solitude actually did. Surprising.

I'm extremely hyped for DMC5, it's actually the first new game that's coming out since i've gotten into the franchise, I was a late comer in like 2014, got the HD collection and 4 and played the heck out of them, tried DmC:DMC and while it was fun, it lacked in every other catagory, but at least it was fun to play. 

This seems to be back to form, although I must say i'm highly amused Nero is the MC again for this reason, back when DMC4 was announced and teased people didn't like him, but as time has gone, his popularity has grown, and after the DmC:DMC mistake, having Nero back is seen as super welcome by most people i've seen.

Edited by Jedi

Well, on the Very Special edition, it's certainly a very self aware thing on their part.

Bethesda reveal ES6, which isn't coming for at least 3 years imo, some other ES stuff nobody cares about, Rage 2 (Really? That game never was all that popular), more DOOM and Wolfenstein, some expansion stuff for Prey, more ports for Fallout Shelter and news on 76 and something called Starfield where next to nothing was shown. Meh overall, but it's not like there's nothing here.

As for Devolver, apparently Metal Wolf Chaos is happening (I've heard of it before, they want to Mech America this time), My Friend Pedro is reminding me of SuperHot and is on PC/Switch, another open world game in SCUM and they literally have a buyable coin that is at 150$ at present. What the hell. Well, it is a trolly press conference.

@Jedi Nero might not be Dante, but I certainly don't hate the guy. He's also a cyborg now, so we should all be cool. I'm still confused because I saw no Dante in the trailer but apparently he was there.

Edited by Dayni

8 minutes ago, Dayni said:

@Jedi Nero might not be Dante, but I certainly don't hate the guy. He's also a cyborg now, so we should all be cool. I'm still confused because I saw no Dante in the trailer but apparently he was there.

He's on a motorcycle at the very end of the Trailer. 

4077bc5217f7b77208bda0da75a2638c.png

1 hour ago, omglmaowtf said:

Guess serenesforest forums aren't really the demographic who cares "who wins E3"? For me I'm surprised that Microsoft beats Bethesda; I see them as joint-winners with Devolver for now. But I'm still in the camp that if Nintendo wants the Switch to be a success they should continue to seduce over the 3rd parties like From, SqEnix, if possible CD Projekt Red etc

Winning?  What is this, a competition?  I don't give two figs about Bethseda, so they've already "lost" just by not being in my periphery.  Likewise, I don't care about Microsoft, because I don't have any of their consoles (and my computer isn't meant to run games).  Doesn't mean that either of 'em put on a bad show.  But this "winning" concept needs to go out the door.  Compete in things that are meant to be a competition, like the midterm elections coming up in the US.

Because if we're going by that metric, Square already blew everyone out of the water by announcing KH3's release date.  And this is before their segment even came up.

Edited by eclipse

11 hours ago, Florete said:

NieR: Automata got announced for XBone, which makes it seem likely it will also come to Switch.

The existance of the XOne port does lend credence to those early rumors that Nintendo was trying to get it on the Switch.

12 hours ago, Florete said:

I'm hyped for 2027, which is when we'll get TES6, Nier Automata 2 (Taro is working in a sequel, at the very least) and Cyberpunk 2077.

I just want to know more about Fire Emblem Switch. I don't really care about other Nintendo stuff.