E3 2018 Schedule/Discussion/Hype Thread

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Square Enix's return to E3 after three years has just wrapped up. Only a 30 minute presentation which I find quite welcome after two 100+ minute conferences yesterday. I find it ironic that the publisher known for JRPGs, the longest genre, put out a short show, but I dig it. Wish we saw some games previously teased like the Avengers game or Left Alive which is allegedly the successor to the dead Front Mission franchise. I think the highlights from this presentation are the Platinum-developed Babylon's Fall CGI trailer, Tomb Raider finally getting some gameplay rather than a fourth CG trailer, and Dragon Quest 11 if you've been completely out of the loop on that game. FF7 did not appear, but c'mon we don't even know if its entered any meaningful development stage. The KH trailer was an extended cut of what we got yesterday at microsoft. There was also The Quiet Man blending live action cutscenes. I dunno, it's a weird teaser of a guy beating up dudes in an alleyway but I'm interested in the idea of playing as a deaf character.

I cynically predicted I'd rate this the lowest, but that was because I expected some producer coming on to say some vague stuff about FF7 with no apology or concrete details about the game's status. And without that moment I'm not sure I can rate this lower than EA overall. Kind of a stinker though. I feel bad for anybody expecting something huge.

4 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Hmm. So Microsoft beat Sony when it came to E3 presentations. Also, no FF7

Sony hasn't gone yet. They're on TONIGHT. seven hours and 15 minutes from this post

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

Sony hasn't gone yet. They're on TONIGHT. seven hours and 15 minutes from this post

I was just sleeping so I'm a bit not right in the head

Aw man. I wanted to see Roxas in the KH trailer. He's my favorite character from that series

Edited by silveraura25

1 minute ago, silveraura25 said:

Well shake it off because this is the most PACKED day of E3. I've taken to calling today Act 2. Ubisoft's conference is in two hours. I'm surprised Division 2 got a trailer and gameplay at Microsoft since I assumed that would be the #1 draw for Ubisoft's conference. We're expecting a reveal of the next Assassin's Creed which has already leaked if you're curious about the supposed setting. And cross your fingers for anything related to Beyond Good and Evil 2.

4 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Aw man. I wanted to see Roxas in the KH trailer. He's my favorite character from that series

No, he's not in the trailer, but he WILL be back.

The KH3 stuff is amazing.  I'm happy.

11 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

And cross your fingers for anything related to Beyond Good and Evil 2.

But doesn't that game look nothing like the original BGaE from what has been shown of it so far? I once owned, never got more than 1/4 of the way through BGaE, but I did have the game guide to show me the rest. BGaE is action-adventure like Zelda, with some stealth emphasis; whereas the new game is set on a different planet, no Jade, new aesthetic, and I think open world as well. How is that BGaE?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But doesn't that game look nothing like the original BGaE from what has been shown of it so far? I once owned, never got more than 1/4 of the way through BGaE, but I did have the game guide to show me the rest. BGaE is action-adventure like Zelda, with some stealth emphasis; whereas the new game is set on a different planet, no Jade, new aesthetic, and I think open world as well. How is that BGaE?

Just in it for the name, baby. You know how the internet gets about franchise revivals. You think anybody would care about Metroid Prime 4 months after Prime 3? They wouldn't. Prime 3 has an instant win button and the Wii is casual trash. But eleven years later and it's like yeeeeeeessssss

Ohohoh, it's that time of year again!

I decided to branch out from Nintendo and watched Square's presentation. I think it was The Quiet Man? That caught my attention. As someone who is also deaf, it's nice to see it be represented in something such as a video game. Kingdom Hearts 3 looks gorgeous, and if it gets ported to the Switch, I'll get it. No Final Fantasy VII remake news unfortunately, but it's okay, I can wait as long as they want me to if they make Aerith absolutely stunning. Kinda hoping they remake Crisis Core sometime in the future, I need more Zack Fair in my life.

As for Ninty-endo...tomorrow is going to be a sad day, so I hope they're able to cheer me up. I know Smash is going to be shown, but I hope they include a story mode this time. SSE was why I go back to Brawl more than I do Smash 4. Ice Climbers better return, and because Konami seems to be rather...well, on the uprise, maybe we can see the return of Snake. FE Switch better be there, alongside a TMS port, hahah. More Pokemon would be nice. Maybe a revival of Golden Sun?

But, the most important wish...

Reggie, give us Mother 3!

I hunger for more KH.

Ninty's next on the bucket list, and with it, a really high bar to overcome for me.

17 minutes ago, Lau said:

I need more Zack Fair in my life.

Embrace your dreams and always protect your honor!

19 minutes ago, Lau said:

No Final Fantasy VII remake news unfortunately, but it's okay, I can wait as long as they want me to if they make Aerith absolutely stunning.

Not ambitious enough.  I will give Square however long it takes to fully animate Cloud in a dress.

@Motendra Boi, are you trying to make me cry? Because I will, I really, really will.

@eclipse Yessss crossdressing Cloud! I really hope they keep it, I don't see why they wouldn't, but you never know with some companies. 1997 was a long time ago...

5 minutes ago, Lau said:

@eclipse Yessss crossdressing Cloud! I really hope they keep it, I don't see why they wouldn't, but you never know with some companies. 1997 was a long time ago...

Oh, they will, if the Dissidia mobile game is anything to go by.  I think there was an old interview that said that they'd keep it, too.

12 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Star Fox coming on Star Link

This makes me think that the Star Fox leak was legit.

Nintendo's not the kind of company to tease a franchise in another publisher's game if they don't have something of their own to show.

Still waiting on Ubisoft to show something new. Everything so far is a sequel or add-on to something out already. It's still much better than the EA conference but that's a pretty low bar to beat. AC: Odyssey does look neat but it really is more of the same of AC: Origins. Greece will be cool to explore. 

So, things to look forward to EA: nothing Microsoft: Halo and Gears 5. Square Enix: Kingdom Hearts 3 Bethesda: nothing Ubisoft: AC: Odyssey

Edited by grinus

So I guess the next Ubisoft and Nintendo Crossover is Assassin's Creed: Hyrule? Far Cry: Metroid? Watch Dogs: Earthbound?

Ubisoft with a very strong showing this year. Assassin's Creed Odyssey had good footage and apparently a focus on role playing which has me interested. I could definitely see For Honor blowing up again. Beyond Good and Evil 2 has me scratching my head. Since it's a prequel, I don't understand Jade being here. The community commissions thing sounds exciting, but I don't like the idea of a developers asking fans to tell them their ideas and contribute to the lore through art. Trials Rising is huge. I was wondering where that series went and I can't wait to create levels on the switch version. Loved the Mario + Rabbids DLC trailer and music performance. Rabbid Cranky is hilarious, and if it's just three characters in a side story then that's great. Tired of having Mario constantly in the party, and resetting characters to zero will help them craft a challenging experience. And of course the Star Fox cameo in Star Link was incredibly unexpected. Fun show! This is currently the second best conference for sure in my opinion. Current rankings from best to worst:

Microsoft > Ubisoft >>> Square Enix > Bethesda > EA

Devolver unranked because that's not fair to the other guys. Only two conferences remain. PC Gaming show in a few but nobody cares. Will Act 2 of E3 2018 end in an All Is Lost moment?

Edited by Glennstavos

6 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

So I guess the next Ubisoft and Nintendo Crossover is Assassin's Creed: Hyrule? Far Cry: Metroid? Watch Dogs: Earthbound?

Ubisoft

I don't want Ubisoft to help develop a Fire Emblem game. A open world Fire Emblem game with collectibles is a strange idea for me.

Pretty boring showing this year. Assassin's Creed looked like Assassin's Creed with a dialogue tree, Skull and Bones had boats, Trials Rising looked like a Trials game, For Honor is still a thing that exists, Division 2 was even more boring than it was at Microsoft's conference, and Just Dance is Just Dance.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 looks a lot better tone-wise compared to last year, Mario + Rabbids was fun to watch, and the Star Fox cameo is neat (even if Star Link doesn't look very interesting).

For now, I'm tying this with EA for conference quality. EA had less good points compared to Ubisoft, but they're good points felt higher than Ubisoft's. Both were incredibly boring and went on for longer than they had a right to. 

Oh! and Splatoon Championships begin in 30 minutes. Technically the first Nintendo content. The finals for this tournament will be streamed tomorrow, immediately preceding the entirety of the Smash Tournament but after a few hours of Treehouse streams.

And now its time to wait for the Sony conference.....at 3:30 in the morning. I believe that's an hour later than the already shamelessly late time they usually do their press conference. Why does Sony think its a good idea to make Europeans suffer every year?

Edited by Etrurian emperor