E3 2018 Schedule/Discussion/Hype Thread

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Microsoft had the best bang-for-the-buck conference. They showed a lot, went over a lot, even mentioned that they're currently building towards the next generation. 

It was straight, to the point, and a clean conference. 

Sekiro and DMC5 were the highlights, and I might be inclined to show interest in Halo Infinite if they explain what exactly it is. A "back to roots adventure with Master Chief" doesn't give me much. 

Sony showed REmake 2, which might be the game I'm most hyped about, but they were Sony to the extreme this year. The banjo and bamboo-flute concerts were so goddamn masurtbatory for games I really don't have any interest in. Spider-Man looks cool. But that whole "We're demoing TLoU2 in a Church, now wait while we move everyone to the proper conference building. We'll talk about how good everything we do is in the meantime and show ads for Blops 3 and Anthem." was just... WHY?! 

Nintendo focused way too much on Smash, and I don't think they showed enough new content. FE was cool, but I'm still processing what I just saw.

EA was abysmal, but that's not out of the ordinary. 

Square shouldn't have even bothered. 

Ubisoft gave their worst in recent memory. 

Andrew WK hype aside, Bethesda was pretty paint-by-numbers(WE HAVE A BUNCH OF FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS!). 

Devolver probably had the best ratio of good looking stuff, but they showed off 3 games, so... 

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

So what the hell was that Daemon X Machina game? I thought it was Xenoblade Chronicles X2 but it's not. Who even is the developers?

The art style screamed Suda51 to me, but it's not them. With that Direct name drop it appears to be some spiritual successor to the Armored Core series. It hasn't been that long since the last one of those, but I guess FromSoftware is too busy making Souls style games these days.

15 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I think Microsoft had the best bang-for-the-buck conference. They showed a lot, went over a lot, even mentioned that they're currently building towards the next generation. 

It was straight, to the point, and a clean conference. 

Sekiro and DMC5 were the highlights, and I might be inclined to show interest in Halo Infinite if they explain what exactly it is. A "back to roots adventure with Master Chief" doesn't give me much. 

Sony showed REmake 2, which might be the game I'm most hyped about, but they were Sony to the extreme this year. The banjo and bamboo-flute concerts were so goddamn masurtbatory for games I really don't have any interest in. Spider-Man looks cool. But that whole "We're demoing TLoU2 in a Church, now wait while we move everyone to the proper conference building. We'll talk about how good everything we do is in the meantime and show ads for Blops 3 and Anthem." was just... WHY?! 

Nintendo focused way too much on Smash, and I don't think they showed enough new content. FE was cool, but I'm still processing what I just saw.

EA was abysmal, but that's not out of the ordinary. 

Square shouldn't have even bothered. 

Ubisoft gave their worst in recent memory. 

Andrew WK hype aside, Bethesda was pretty paint-by-numbers(WE HAVE A BUNCH OF FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS!). 

Devolver probably had the best ratio of good looking stuff, but they showed off 3 games, so... 

So I get the impression from your take that as a whole E3 this year was Empty Ehhhh Entertainment? A case of almost everyone failing to get their acts together?

Well there is always next year, and it isn't like everything has to be shown at E3. There are 360 other days in a year to show and reveal things.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So I get the impression from your take that as a whole E3 this year was Empty Ehhhh Entertainment? A case of almost everyone failing to get their acts together?

Well there is always next year, and it isn't like everything has to be shown at E3. There are 360 other days in a year to show and reveal things.

It was a low year for pretty much everyone besides Microsoft, yeah. Microsoft actually stepped up their game, while everyone else did the same thing they've always done, or worse. 

Collectively a lot was shown this E3 that I'm actually pretty interested in. It's just that... Everyone besides M$ spent way too much time on shit that wasn't important to the conference, or really focused on a small handful of things, while blazing through the rest. 

And yeah, there's always GamesCom, TGS and the Game Awards. Those always have one or two major announcements. 

Edited by Slumber

OH! I forgot about my bets. Let's see what the damages are:

Spoiler
  1. Episode 1 of Final Fantasy 7 Remake will release in what year? We don't know. We'll get a cinematic trailer but no release date.
  2. Will either a new Xbox or new Playstation system be announced or teased? No.
  3. Is Death Stranding going to have gameplay or just be another short film? Short film. I'm expecting them to eventually announce this is going to be an animated film that maybe has a tie-in video game.
  4. How many QTEs will appear during the Spider Man segment of Sony's Conference? Two.
  5. How many Wii U Port/Remaster/Sequels in Nintendo's Presentation? Exactly One. Super Mario Maker.
  6. Will Nintendo's Presentation start or end with Smash? Both. It starts with an overview and ends with a surprise (Shink!) character reveal. 
  7. Who are the finalists at the Smash tournament? Assuming they're on opposite sides of the bracket, Armada vs Zero.
  8. How many deaths at Devolver Digital? At least one hundred confirmed kills. The audience better be ready to spill blood.
  9. Who's the developer cameo at Devolver Digital? Hideo Kojima.
  10. Will any non nintendo conference announce a game coming to switch? Sure, I'm willing to bet a switch port of a Bethesda title is mentioned at their conference
  11. Conference that has the most liberal use of the word "experience"? Microsoft.

Hmm...

Spoiler
  1. we didn't even get a trailer let alone a release window. So that's a no.
  2. Actually Microsoft did allude to a new Xbox system some time in the future. Guess I should have bet in line with other people.
  3. Ah...still time for them to announce this as some sort of film or digital series, but this does not appear to be a tie-in game. Plus we DID get some gameplay so this is immediately wrong.
  4. None I think? The HUD completely disappeared every time Spider-Man was outside of combat so some might have been edited out for all we know. But with no evidence to the contrary, this is a wrong bet. I hope they didn't take out QTEs completely just because of dumb comments. Complaining about QTEs in 2018 is far dumber than in 2008 where they were actually rampant.
  5. Wrong on the Mario Maker prediction, but I didn't specify new ports. And Captain Toad did appear. I give myself half a point for correctly predicting just one port in the video. 
  6. Half right. It did not begin with Smash. I expected a presentation that introduces Smash and comes back to it later. I'd say that's worth half a point since I also made the (safer) prediction that it ends in a character reveal.
  7. They were not on opposite sides of the bracket and Zero knocked out Armada in the semifinals. I suppose getting one of the finalists is good for half a point, but Armada did have an exceptionally slim chance of making it back to Finals through losers bracket before losing a tense free for all. Plus Zero in finals is the safest bet you could have made out of these eight players. No points awarded for this.
  8. The Audience did spill blood, but only two confirmed kills. Possibly as high as ten but certainly not a hundred.
  9. Nobody actually. I thought that would be a recurring gag but I guess not.
  10. Yes. My favorite personally is Trials Rising. Wasn't wrong on a bethesda announcement either with Fallout Shelter, eventually Elder Scrolls Blades, and likely Wolfenstein: Youngblood. Full point for this.
  11. Shoot, I didn't think to tally this up. To save myself some time, let's say this is wrong because I'm too lazy to check. Microsoft is the longest conference however so it's not an unlikely answer.

Two points out of eleven possible. Par for the course for my brand of HIGH STAKES bets.

FE may really be the only thing remotely interesting, but even that I'm skeptical considering just how unengaging Awakening story and gameplay was, and how Fates story was even worse - to say nothing of their lacking worldbuilding. Not even bothering to comment on Smash. Still no word on FF7 remake?

Edited by henrymidfields

21 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

OH! I forgot about my bets. Let's see what the damages are:

Hide contents
  1. Episode 1 of Final Fantasy 7 Remake will release in what year? We don't know. We'll get a cinematic trailer but no release date.
  2. Will either a new Xbox or new Playstation system be announced or teased? No.
  3. Is Death Stranding going to have gameplay or just be another short film? Short film. I'm expecting them to eventually announce this is going to be an animated film that maybe has a tie-in video game.
  4. How many QTEs will appear during the Spider Man segment of Sony's Conference? Two.
  5. How many Wii U Port/Remaster/Sequels in Nintendo's Presentation? Exactly One. Super Mario Maker.
  6. Will Nintendo's Presentation start or end with Smash? Both. It starts with an overview and ends with a surprise (Shink!) character reveal. 
  7. Who are the finalists at the Smash tournament? Assuming they're on opposite sides of the bracket, Armada vs Zero.
  8. How many deaths at Devolver Digital? At least one hundred confirmed kills. The audience better be ready to spill blood.
  9. Who's the developer cameo at Devolver Digital? Hideo Kojima.
  10. Will any non nintendo conference announce a game coming to switch? Sure, I'm willing to bet a switch port of a Bethesda title is mentioned at their conference
  11. Conference that has the most liberal use of the word "experience"? Microsoft.

Hmm...

Hide contents
  1. we didn't even get a trailer let alone a release window. So that's a no.
  2. Actually Microsoft did allude to a new Xbox system some time in the future. Guess I should have bet in line with other people.
  3. Ah...still time for them to announce this as some sort of film or digital series, but this does not appear to be a tie-in game. Plus we DID get some gameplay so this is immediately wrong.
  4. None I think? The HUD completely disappeared every time Spider-Man was outside of combat so some might have been edited out for all we know. But with no evidence to the contrary, this is a wrong bet. I hope they didn't take out QTEs completely just because of dumb comments. Complaining about QTEs in 2018 is far dumber than in 2008 where they were actually rampant.
  5. Wrong on the Mario Maker prediction, but I didn't specify new ports. And Captain Toad did appear. I give myself half a point for correctly predicting just one port in the video. 
  6. Half right. It did not begin with Smash. I expected a presentation that introduces Smash and comes back to it later. I'd say that's worth half a point since I also made the (safer) prediction that it ends in a character reveal.
  7. They were not on opposite sides of the bracket and Zero knocked out Armada in the semifinals. I suppose getting one of the finalists is good for half a point, but Armada did have an exceptionally slim chance of making it back to Finals through losers bracket before losing a tense free for all. Plus Zero in finals is the safest bet you could have made out of these eight players. No points awarded for this.
  8. The Audience did spill blood, but only two confirmed kills. Possibly as high as ten but certainly not a hundred.
  9. Nobody actually. I thought that would be a recurring gag but I guess not.
  10. Yes. My favorite personally is Trials Rising. Wasn't wrong on a bethesda announcement either with Fallout Shelter, eventually Elder Scrolls Blades, and likely Wolfenstein: Youngblood. Full point for this.
  11. Shoot, I didn't think to tally this up. To save myself some time, let's say this is wrong because I'm too lazy to check. Microsoft is the longest conference however so it's not an unlikely answer.

Two points out of eleven possible. Par for the course for my brand of HIGH STAKES bets.

Sony definitely used "experience" the most, since that's what they called their whole conference, and the intermission has the word "experience" being tossed around pretty liberally. 

The biggest games of E3 for me were FE Three Houses, Smash Bros Ultimate, Cyberpunk 2077, and DMC5.

I'm still on the fence about Anthem, but I like what I see. My concerns are what I do not see. Is this game going to be as content-starved and story-lite as the Destiny franchise? EA has not done or said anything to quell those concerns.