[FE8] [Complete] Vision Quest (v2.1 21-Mar-21 - Final Release)

Pandan

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! Hope it doesn't disappoint.

We are in the final stretch of development - just need to insert supports and paired endings, then do a last round of playtesting before releasing v1.

Stay tuned!

I've just downloaded the patch and am excited to give this game a whirl. I am glad to meet a fellow hater of 1-ranged bows.

If I promote a unit before level 15, can they still get their level 15 skill?

EDIT: The game froze after the first cutscene before chapter 2 for me.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

You will not get the level 15 skill if you promote before then, it is meant to be a tradeoff of sorts. 

There are some early game scenes that appear to have errors, the dev team is working on fixing them asap, but just using start to skip the scene works as a temporary solution.

32 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I've just downloaded the patch and am excited to give this game a whirl. I am glad to meet a fellow hater of 1-ranged bows.

If I promote a unit before level 15, can they still get their level 15 skill?

EDIT: The game froze after the first cutscene before chapter 2 for me.

The patch is updated on the dropbox and this should be fixed. Apologies for the rocky start!

21 hours ago, Pandan said:

The patch is updated on the dropbox and this should be fixed. Apologies for the rocky start!

Not a problem!

Another thing is about Light Weight, the skill Natsuko comes with. It says "three or less items" when it should be "three or fewer items." I haven't changed patches yet so you'll have to let me know if anything else I come across has been fixed already.

Congrats on the release! I've only played the first chapter and can already tell it's going to be a blast.

I'm also happy to give feedback, though I suspect there won't be much to say given how polished this is!

does the game end with festan's death? i felt like there was more to be done with the cultists and horvath, did i miss something? 

congratulations on the release! 

*queue gasp* wait.. its done already! 😄 ahhhhh yes! ^.^ ill def give it a play today and post feedback 🙂 damn its been awhile since a new full hack came out lol.

Hey first word first, the hack is awesome and I love it so far. I would say that there are quite a lot of map that I found frustrating and the Waluyo path is quite, challenging in a way. Btw there seems to be a problem with chapter 4-1, I can't start the chapter and it just stuck in the black screen. Wonder if it's a problem from my side or not.

I'll have to check this out! I'm looking forward to playing it. Hopefully I can figure out how to set it up (I'm not the most tech savvy, unfortunately.)

13 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Hopefully I can figure out how to set it up (I'm not the most tech savvy, unfortunately.)

Just like every other romhack.

(Also, SF is still busy dealing with Singularity's aftermath and is not hiring right now)

On 6/6/2020 at 9:25 PM, Pandan said:

Appreciate that - thank you!

Not a problem. I gotta put Weird Al's "Word Crimes" to use somehow, you know?

The transitions between chapters are a bit weird, since the previous map keeps appearing between fade outs.

I've started on Lunatic mode for some reason and I can say it's actually been pretty challenging so far. I definitely appreciate having something to steal on just about every map.

Where did you get the portrait for Zarn, that one shaman boss in 1-7x? I've seen it in a Mekkkah video but couldn't find it in the mugging blitz repository.
EDIT: Never mind, I found it.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

So below I will list pros and cons of the game that I personally found, and ill list any bugs I find along the way. 🙂 

Things I Enjoyed:

- Most character portraits look pretty good 🙂
- I really like the added classes.
- Skills system is sweet! 
- Map design is well done, so far I haven't been locked down with huge maps.
- You have some new quests or in chapter events i quite enjoyed. lol SAVE THE CHICKENS!!! 😄
- I like over all how many chapters there are, def not a short game. 

Things I Didn't Like:

- Story-line could use some fine tuning... 
-  Zoya's portrait, her head is tilted up a bit too much, looks like shes staring angrily at the sky lol. xD yet her hair is positioned as if she were normally looking to the side. Just looks wrong, couldn't even use her it just bugged me too much.
- I don't like Storch... As a unit he is great, but his personality sucks lol.
- 

Story-line:

- You censor way too much, replacing common phrases with childish ones. It is absolutely hilarious to see a rough and tough brigand who steals from and kills people say "Oh darn it, who the heck are you?!" xD Like.... Oh my! Those manners! Honestly though it kinda takes away from the story, i'm not saying you need to cuss, but if you wanna censor language then try using different phrases all together, rather than using the same phrases over and over. On my next playthrough i'm going to count how many times I've seen the phrase "what the heck".. I know its at least 20 and i'm only halfway through the game. 
- Another thing that takes away from the story is some of the characters attitudes. Marlen for example, i know hes only 15 or 16 but come on, your on a battlefield, stop fawning over omelettes! xD  I'm on Chapter 2-6 and it doesn't seem to be maturing, Storch is still indifferent mostly... Grow up Storch, ya can't sit around and relax all your life... >.>
-  

Bugs:

- I find in some chapters the enemy turn seems to lag a bit, does not flow as smooth between enemy unit turns. 
- Kitazowa says "bastards" in his death quote, yet every other time you have people saying "dastards", not sure if this was intentional. I actually liked it though, it felt like a real response. I certainly wouldn't be yelling out "YOU DASTARDS!!"  when I die either lol.  

As this review is getting long, ill just post this one now. Ill do another for the last half of the game later. 🙂
OHHH I wanted to ask, are Arena's removed in your hack? I have yet to come across one... Maybe I was rushing... 

Edited by Thorgrun

Hey, I found a few bugs that happened somehow during the ending of the game

Spoiler

bCsU2Cl.png

After the endings I couldn't access the epilogue. After the text bubble, nothing shows up and its permanently stuck. I'm not sure if this is intended or not? I tried skipping the final scenes after you defeat Festan and that lead to a black screen.

rBdoEmH.png

Also in both chapter 4-6 and 4-E I was unable to edit the unit formation in the map. Everything was working perfectly fine before the last two chapters. This is in Hard Mode if that helps

5 hours ago, Racer said:

Hey, I found a few bugs that happened somehow during the ending of the game

Hide contents

bCsU2Cl.png

After the endings I couldn't access the epilogue. After the text bubble, nothing shows up and its permanently stuck. I'm not sure if this is intended or not? I tried skipping the final scenes after you defeat Festan and that lead to a black screen.

rBdoEmH.png

Also in both chapter 4-6 and 4-E I was unable to edit the unit formation in the map. Everything was working perfectly fine before the last two chapters. This is in Hard Mode if that helps

These bugs are now fixed in updated on the dropbox, thanks for flagging!

On 6/12/2020 at 1:45 AM, Thorgrun said:

So below I will list pros and cons of the game that I personally found, and ill list any bugs I find along the way. 🙂 

Things I Enjoyed:

- Most character portraits look pretty good 🙂
- I really like the added classes.
- Skills system is sweet! 
- Map design is well done, so far I haven't been locked down with huge maps.
- You have some new quests or in chapter events i quite enjoyed. lol SAVE THE CHICKENS!!! 😄
- I like over all how many chapters there are, def not a short game. 

Things I Didn't Like:

- Story-line could use some fine tuning... 
-  Zoya's portrait, her head is tilted up a bit too much, looks like shes staring angrily at the sky lol. xD yet her hair is positioned as if she were normally looking to the side. Just looks wrong, couldn't even use her it just bugged me too much.
- I don't like Storch... As a unit he is great, but his personality sucks lol.
- 

Story-line:

- You censor way too much, replacing common phrases with childish ones. It is absolutely hilarious to see a rough and tough brigand who steals from and kills people say "Oh darn it, who the heck are you?!" xD Like.... Oh my! Those manners! Honestly though it kinda takes away from the story, i'm not saying you need to cuss, but if you wanna censor language then try using different phrases all together, rather than using the same phrases over and over. On my next playthrough i'm going to count how many times I've seen the phrase "what the heck".. I know its at least 20 and i'm only halfway through the game. 
- Another thing that takes away from the story is some of the characters attitudes. Marlen for example, i know hes only 15 or 16 but come on, your on a battlefield, stop fawning over omelettes! xD  I'm on Chapter 2-6 and it doesn't seem to be maturing, Storch is still indifferent mostly... Grow up Storch, ya can't sit around and relax all your life... >.>
-  

Bugs:

- I find in some chapters the enemy turn seems to lag a bit, does not flow as smooth between enemy unit turns. 
- Kitazowa says "bastards" in his death quote, yet every other time you have people saying "dastards", not sure if this was intentional. I actually liked it though, it felt like a real response. I certainly wouldn't be yelling out "YOU DASTARDS!!"  when I die either lol.  

As this review is getting long, ill just post this one now. Ill do another for the last half of the game later. 🙂
OHHH I wanted to ask, are Arena's removed in your hack? I have yet to come across one... Maybe I was rushing... 

Thanks for the review! The language thing was def intentional because I felt cussing and most naughty words don't really suit FE, but I can understand if it feels odd reading it. VQ is def meant to be more surreal and not taken very literally.

There are arenas but not very many - there's one in 2-5 and another in 4-6.

Appreciate all the kind and thoughtful feedback. I'm making some tweaks and will be releasing a more major update down the line.

This is really cool! I'm on 2-3 and loving the hack so far. I like how you can view all the support convos even if you can only get the benefits of a couple ingame.

There are a couple minor bugs I found. First, I noticed that Gladiator Storch's map sprite seems to have a little disjointed bit northwest of him when you hover over him. Secondly, in the "dream sequence" chapters (in this case 2-3x) the healing music still plays rather than the map bgm. I know you replaced the battle music with the map bgm for those chapters so I don't know if the heal theme staying in there is intentional or not. 

I'm not veteran enough to critique the maps, but I've really liked them so far!

Is the guide in the download and I'm not seeing it, or is it somewhere else? If it's in the discord then that link's expired.

Nice work so far dude, glad I found this.

Edited by RkThe23rdst
Found another bug

Alright the last part of my review, covering 2-6 to the end, and my 2nd play through. 🙂 I may have listed a few of these already but that's ok! 

Pros:
- I really like your in chapter events, it made each chapter fun and more challenging, having to utilize weapons/staffs and items I normally just sell off lol. 
- I listed in my previous review that the story wasn't all that interesting. And at first it wasn't, took half the game but I was invested by 3-1. That ending though... xD
- Really liked that you made various weapons available, not just a bunch of generic crap, everything you pulled from a chest was 100% usable instantly. 
- I know i mentioned map design, but i really liked the map work done! there wasn't a single map i went into thinking "ugh" lol.
- And I'll admit, I came to like Storch finally... 😛
- Loved that Arena Abuse is completely unnecessary in this FE. Its just pure game play. 

Bugs:

- In map 4-1 enemies tend to disappear, yet show up on top of other enemies, I wouldn't call it unplayable, just tricky to deal with lol.  Did not experience this issue in my first play through. My first play through I did not use Gunnar or Naia, this 2nd play through I am using them, and am now experiencing the issue, maybe its tied to them somehow? 
- You mentioned you didn't want cussing in your game. That's cool 🙂 but towards the end, there's a fair bit of cussing, a few saying "damn" and at one point, Storch totally said "fuck" o.O lmao that's actually what made me like him. 😄 

And with that, thanks so much for making this. While it is not perfect, it did provide a few days of fun. 🙂

Hey mate, just tried this out and I'm on chapter 1-4 atm. Though I'm still in the beginning, it's working great so far - portraits and sprites are solid, the new classes and inverse promotions are integrated well, interesting maps and conditions (although escape in 1-1 would've been better Thracia-style tbh, as it's really more like seize as is), and cool music (props for using Ape Escape!).

I do have a couple of issues which I believe you might have noted under bugs. The freeze at the end of 1-3's cutscenes occurred and when I reloaded a save state before taking out Ghirken, it always froze even after skipping the scenes. Choosing suspend also froze the game. I could only continue by loading the auto-suspend after resetting the game; that definitely needs to be fixed. Otherwise, the game jitters a bit in scenes, like echoed selection sfx occasionally when clicking through dialogue. The music also seems to rise and fall in pitch quite a lot, making me feel vaguely woozy when it happens 😖. Maybe that's on me but I've had no problem with mainline series sounds.

Lastly, one small nitpick. When pressing the right shoulder button on the character stat screen to show info, it starts on the title which tells you that pressing select will display growths. This is great, but you can't press left to check unit name info when on the title so you have to press down to move to stats then press left. A minor bother but yeah, a fix would be cool 😉

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also got an S rank bow (boog-something) from a generic mage who was only carrying a fire tome iirc, in chapter 1-2. Was this intentional? The boss mentioned a powerful bow, but maybe that was referring to the longbow enemy. Also, after doing the second escape chapter, I was happy not everyone had to escape first; damn that was hard lol.

Edited by YourBoyRoy

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 3:56 AM, YourBoyRoy said:

Hey mate, just tried this out and I'm on chapter 1-4 atm. Though I'm still in the beginning, it's working great so far - portraits and sprites are solid, the new classes and inverse promotions are integrated well, interesting maps and conditions (although escape in 1-1 would've been better Thracia-style tbh, as it's really more like seize as is), and cool music (props for using Ape Escape!).

I do have a couple of issues which I believe you might have noted under bugs. The freeze at the end of 1-3's cutscenes occurred and when I reloaded a save state before taking out Ghirken, it always froze even after skipping the scenes. Choosing suspend also froze the game. I could only continue by loading the auto-suspend after resetting the game; that definitely needs to be fixed. Otherwise, the game jitters a bit in scenes, like echoed selection sfx occasionally when clicking through dialogue. The music also seems to rise and fall in pitch quite a lot, making me feel vaguely woozy when it happens 😖. Maybe that's on me but I've had no problem with mainline series sounds.

Lastly, one small nitpick. When pressing the right shoulder button on the character stat screen to show info, it starts on the title which tells you that pressing select will display growths. This is great, but you can't press left to check unit name info when on the title so you have to press down to move to stats then press left. A minor bother but yeah, a fix would be cool 😉

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also got an S rank bow (boog-something) from a generic mage who was only carrying a fire tome iirc, in chapter 1-2. Was this intentional? The boss mentioned a powerful bow, but maybe that was referring to the longbow enemy. Also, after doing the second escape chapter, I was happy not everyone had to escape first; damn that was hard lol.

Thanks for the feedback! All of these bugs should be fixed on the latest version on Dropbox.

The Boogjacht is alluded to in the brown house near the starting position. It is neither a glitch nor the archer that the boss refers to at the start of the map.

Unsure about the issues with the stat screen, and additionally, only Storch needs to seize to end the map. You don't need to bring everyone along.