Shadow Dragon - Online Shop Exclusive Items Integrated into Normal Gameplay (UPDATED AGAIN 6/19/18)

This patch integrates exclusive items from the now-defunct Online Shop into normal gameplay.

Why does that matter? Well, I'll let the wiki explain it:
"Along with most Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection services, the online shops in both Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem permanently closed on May 20th, 2014. For Shadow Dragon, this had the effect of rendering the Elysian Whip (and in turn the Falcoknight class) and three of the Brave weapons as essentially unused content... for new save files created after that date on original cartridges." [Emphasis mine]

Now, all those items are back in the game as droppable items (or in some cases, in the starting inventory of certain characters). A list of what went where:

Chapter 7 - generic archer has droppable Longbow
Chapter 9 - generic pirate has droppable Poleax
Chapter 11 - pegasus knight has Elysian Whip
Chapter 13 - boss has Master Seal
Chapter 14 - boss has Master Seal
Chapter 15 - generic dracoknight has Elysian Whip
Chapter 18 - Sternlin (the boss) has Brave Lance
Chapter 19 - generic hero that starts near Tiki has Brave Sword; Tiki has Elysian Whip (droppable, if you want to kill her to access 24x)
Chapter 20 - Lorenz has Brave Bow (not droppable; must recruit him to get it)
Chapter 20x - Ymir starts with Brave Axe (not droppable; must recruit him to get it)
Chapter 6x - Athena starts with Wo Dao

Be warned, these enemies will use these new items against you until you kill them and claim the weapons for your own. However, depending on your difficulty (primarily if you're playing on Normal), two or three of the above enemies will lack the weapon rank required to use the new items, although they will still drop them as normal. On higher difficulties, all bets are off - everybody is skilled enough to use everything in their new arsenal against you.

In addition, Falcoknights have been updated to use their FE12 stats; previously, as the class was not in the original FE1, the developers intended it mostly as an easter egg and did not seem to balance it. As a result, the Falcoknight had absolutely no advantages over the Dracoknight. Now, the Falcoknight has higher Speed, Skill, and a higher maximum Speed, but lower Strength than the Dracoknight, in line with their appearance in FE12.

There are two versions of the patch:

OnlineItemsInGame.XDELTA incorporates the Updated Gaiden Requirements Removal Patch.

OnlineItemsWithHardPrologue.XDELTA incorporates BOTH the Updated Gaiden Requirements Removal Patch and the Prologue in Hard Modes Patch.

USE ONLY ONE PATCH, NOT BOTH.

This was made using the US version of FE11, so you should use an .nds file from that region.

Installation:

1. If you have not already, download the Delta Patcher utility here: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/

2. Obtain an unmodified ROM of FE11. I cannot help you do this.

3. Extract DeltaPatcherLite.exe, your unmodified .nds file of FE11, and EITHER OnlineItemsInGame.xdelta OR OnlineItemsWithHardPrologue.xdelta to the same folder. DO NOT USE BOTH .xdelta FILES; CHOOSE ONLY ONE. The difference is explained above.

4. Open DeltaPatcherLite.exe.

5. Click the "Open" button for the "Original file" box and select the unmodified .nds file of FE11.

6. Click the "Open" button for the "XDelta patch" box and select EITHER OnlineItemsInGame.xdelta OR OnlineItemsWithHardPrologue.xdelta.

7. Click the "Apply Patch" button. Users with older PCs may have to wait a few moments.

8. Your previously unmodified file, which you selected in step 5 as the "Original file", is the patched ROM you should now use.

Download here

Download DeltaPatcher from here (you need this to apply the patch to your ROM)

Your original ROM's checksums should be:

Original CRC32: 4CE55236
Original MD5: 5B7A037DFF5A904078404922642A01E8
Original SHA-1: 5174FBAB0C159CE247CCF133A8103B79FAE1435F

If you don't know what those are, this website can explain:
http://onlinemd5.com/

Patched MD5 for OnlineItemsInGame.xdelta: EDF64863CE7C86D652B3752F4E2D8922
Patched SHA-1 for OnlineItemsInGame.xdelta: 33E18A412557D5C2F967C20F9E5E7E9D4C92A4D6
Patched CRC32 for OnlineItemsInGame.xdelta: 7AC6FA51

Patched MD5 for OnlineItemsWithHardPrologue.xdelta: 20D44513267CB8BBD4C19F337922F341        
Patched SHA-1 for OnlineItemsWithHardPrologue.xdelta: D07060A0A878602B1210CAEE4C0C62BE3130BA92
Patched CRC32 for OnlineItemsWithHardPrologue.xdelta: FE856158

Credits and Acknowledgments:

- Robert of Normandy a.k.a. RobertTheSable for their Gaiden Requirements Removal Patch. Permission was given to incorporate this patch into other hacks here:
https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/51430-fe-shadow-dragon-gaiden-requirements-removal-patch/&do=findComment&comment=3665588
- Blazer for their suite of Shadow Dragon hacking tools, which can be found here:
http://www.feshrine.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=422&p=85130
- Mariode for their update to said suite of tools, which can be found here:
https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/66930-fe-shadow-dragon-unit-disposition-editor-modules-itemclass-editor-update/
- SadNES cITy Translations for their Delta Patcher tool, which can be found here:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/
- The FE Subreddit Discord, for balance advice and suggestions for item placement; thanks in particular go to Wishes, Hype, Krash, and Nino4999
- Will and Sam for their inexplicably continued friendship

Have fun!
- Ciro

Edited by Cirosan
Now hosted on RH.net

Cool, the online shop closure rendering some items unobtainalbe was pretty blegh. Now with those 3 patches (gaiden req removal, hard more prologue and now this one), the enjoyability of the game will really go up.

Thank you!

6 hours ago, MCProductions said:

Question, does the prologue in hard modes version of this patch also include the additional death requirement for Norne patch?

No, because I haven't successfully hacked her in yet; that patch will remain separate until I have it working.

I can't seem to figure out how to hack that one out, but when I do, I'll update all of my other patches. It's funny; I don't even care for the character, really - she's just the last vestige of FE11's absurd "death requirements" mechanic that has yet to be scrubbed away.

18 hours ago, Cirosan said:

No, because I haven't successfully hacked her in yet; that patch will remain separate until I have it working.

I can't seem to figure out how to hack that one out, but when I do, I'll update all of my other patches. It's funny; I don't even care for the character, really - she's just the last vestige of FE11's absurd "death requirements" mechanic that has yet to be scrubbed away.

That and she has her adoring fans that await for the day you finally conquer FE11's absurd system of locking content behind death. (I'd have been fine with Gaiden if they just had alternate requirements like leveling specific characters or recruiting a specific unit, etc.)

Anyway another great patch Cirosan. (All this game is missing is that Norne patch and supports that would be nigh impossible to add to the game.)

Mod has been updated:

* A third Elysian Whip has been added; Tiki is holding it in Chapter 19, and she'll drop it if you want to kill her to access 24x. The Online Shop allowed you to buy a maximum of 3 Elysian Whips, so having 3 added by the mod was only logical.

* Falcoknights have been updated to use their FE12 stats; previously, as the class was not in the original FE1, the developers intended it mostly as an easter egg and did not seem to balance it. As a result, the Falcoknight had absolutely no advantages over the Dracoknight. Now, the Falcoknight has higher Speed, Skill, and a higher maximum Speed, but lower Strength than the Dracoknight, in line with their appearance in FE12.

Download link is in the OP.

Is it possible to have a patch that doesn't trim the rom? The trimming makes it incompatible with nds-bootstrap on 3DS

EDIT: Actually I got it to work. I just added FF bytes to make the patched rom the same size as the original, and it worked for me.

Edited by WiiUExposed
Found solution

Neat, that's one way to go about it. Would it be possible to do what the Wii U VC release did and have the online shop always accessible, and the stock using the system clock? Or is that too difficult to do?

16 minutes ago, SmugMarth said:

Great work there, the gaiden requirements bypass worked but somehow the enemies carry the exclusive items but are not droppable, do I need to create a new save data or something?

Be very specific about which enemies are having this problem.

13 hours ago, SmugMarth said:

So far I'm on chapter 8 but Athena only began with an iron sword and the generic archer on chapter 7 had the longbow but i couldn't drop it

https://pasteboard.co/HpW6LF6.jpg

And what version of the patch are you using?

That is indeed a bug, and it was caused by an error on my part when compiling the patch, so it wasn't on your end.

An updated, corrected version has been uploaded to RH.net, but since that site takes a while to approve new uploads, you can find it here right now:

[Outdated]

Edited by Cirosan

The update is now live on RH.net, so the link in the OP is once again the place to find the latest version - no further confusion with Mega links necessary, just use the link in the OP. Sorry for the delay.

This update is compatible with existing saves, to be clear - just load a save from before any affected chapters (like one of the saves the game asks you to make after one chapter ends but before the next one begins). You'll have to patch a fresh, unmodified ROM - don't patch the one you're using now. Then just import the save file (if you're using Desmune, use File > Import Backup Memory).

This update is only necessary if you were using the version of the patch that only unlocked the Gaidens - OnlineItemsInGame.xdelta - and IS NOT NECESSARY if you're using the version that unlocked Gaidens and unlocked the prologue in hard modes (OnlineItemsWithHardPrologue.xdelta).

On 6/14/2018 at 3:58 PM, Maruhai said:

Man that's insane, you guys are just putting out more and more QoL improvements on Shadow Dragon. Ultimate version when?

Thanks for this.

As soon as my mod to always recruit Norne is out of betatesting, I'll be releasing that mod as a stand-alone mod - and shortly thereafter, I'll be releasing a patch that combines all of my Shadow Dragon mods together (Hard Prologue + Updated Gaiden Reqs Removal + Online Shop Items + Norne Unlock). This combined patch will also include compatibility with Arch's Sync Patch, for anyone who's interested in that.

Edited by Cirosan
Clarified who needs the update

18 hours ago, Cirosan said:

As soon as my mod to always recruit Norne is out of betatesting, I'll be releasing that mod as a stand-alone mod - and shortly thereafter, I'll be releasing a patch that combines all of my Shadow Dragon mods together (Hard Prologue + Updated Gaiden Reqs Removal + Online Shop Items + Norne Unlock). This combined patch will also include compatibility with Arch's Sync Patch, for anyone who's interested in that.

Just don't forget to increase the number of slots in the first three chapters to accomodate for Norne - though I'm sure you have done that already, but just in case.

3 hours ago, Kruggov said:

Just don't forget to increase the number of slots in the first three chapters to accomodate for Norne - though I'm sure you have done that already, but just in case.

I have indeed. That's actually the trickiest part, but it looks to be in a good enough state, barring a brief graphical glitch during the intro cutscene of chapter 1. I just need some final confirmation from my playtesters, and it'll be time to release it into the wild.

The dev thread for it is here, for anyone curious:

1 hour ago, Cirosan said:

I have indeed. That's actually the trickiest part, but it looks to be in a good enough state, barring a brief graphical glitch during the intro cutscene of chapter 1. I just need some final confirmation from my playtesters, and it'll be time to release it into the wild.

Played through to Ch.4, and Ch.1 bug is the only problem.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...