What does the Nintendo Switch Bring to the Table?

IS decided to release this game for the Switch instead of another 3ds game. This made me wonder why that is. There must be some reason for using the Switch instead of the 3ds other than the existence of 3 FE games already being on the 3ds.

Other than simply the ability to make a larger scale game with more characters, chapters, classes, etc. What unique features do you think will come with the release of FE Switch.

It seems Nintendo loves their Joy-con controllers and the "Sharing the Joy" multiplayer feature they have, so maybe FE Switch will have a co-op mode. A pure-mobile system isn't very good for co-op but the Switch is great for it's accessibility to co-op, not to mention people playing co-op will help more people get into Fire Emblem. If I'm playing Fire Emblem in public and a curious person asks me about it, the conversation changes from "This is Fire Emblem." "Uh Ok." to "This is Fire Emblem, do you want to play too?" "um sure."

Tell me what you think the Switch will do to make FE16 unique.

Edited by Popers1328

@Popers1328 IS is probably following a Nintendo request to do so since it's done very well on 3DS and putting it on the Switch would likely grow the audience for FE. 

I remember one of the primary reasons for putting it on the home console was its capability for better graphics but the consideration for it's more robust multiplayer/coop potential was very likely a bonus. I'm also getting the impression that FE Switch may end up being more like Valkyria Chronicles for its gameplay so that more casual audiences would find it more engaging and action based. 

I'm really hoping that the game mechanics will be a mix of Radiant Dawn, Awakenings and Echoes with a bit of the good things that came from Fates and Heroes.

Well the Switch is the 3DS' successor. So it shouldn't be a surprise that they're moving on to better hardware. On the other hand, Fire Emblem has quite the history of sticking to dead systems. The Switch was out for a month when Echoes released. Gaiden released two years after the Super Nintendo released. Thracia was released three years after the Nintendo 64 was out. And that is just disgusting. 

I'm interested in how they'll move back to a single screen again. Simplified unit information will appear at the top just like older games and Heroes, and with a more detailed page you could pull up. I think we'll return to the "Press R to learn more" system from pre 3DS, in addition to tapping with your finger on something you want to learn more about. And I could see them allowing you to drag units to attack similar to how you move them in Heroes. I somewhat expect them to accommodate playstyles using only buttons or using only the touch screen rather than expecting the player to use both control styles like we had to do on 3DS. I hate playing a game with buttons but every few minutes I have to aim my finger down at a weapon in order to learn more. The reason why they'd want to accommodate a touch screen control style is to appeal to all the newcomers from Fire Emblem Heroes.

The Switch's unique features such as HD Rumble, motion controls, and co-op are not the things I suspect they'll use in the new Fire Emblem. Turn based tactics and Co-op mix poorly, since  you're both sharing one screen and presumably one cursor. Nothing would get done more efficiently than watching the person playing the game and suggesting moves to take. Have you ever watched somebody play Fire Emblem? Pretty fun experience, even if it's not co-op in the sense that you're both holding a controller. You could have two people with their own switch and copy of the game link up for co-op, but that wouldn't be "sharing the joy" at all. HD Rumble and motion controls might appear in one of the side activities back at base, but I wouldn't count on anything in particular. Some people have suggested motion control based action commands that let you do more damage on an attack or dodge an incoming attack and this is not Paper Mario. Fire Emblem's damage and accuracy values ought to be dictated by stats, not the player's reflexes

the switch isn't 7 year old hardware (possibly even older parts) for one, that can be quite a boon, character models that aren't cringe to look at (radiant dawn still holds up better than SoV model wise), more complex environments being possible (significantly higher detail) and a system which isn't on its way out (I would be way less hyped for a 3ds game). I think that the real question is what could the 3ds not do, the 3ds menus are not a very big loss and load times should be negligible (due to cartridges and better hardware).

Nintendo already merged their handheld and console divisions while working on the Switch, meaning it's the only piece of hardware they plan to support long-term. The 3DS is more or less just coasting by right now.

2 hours ago, Popers1328 said:

Other than simply the ability to make a larger scale game with more characters, chapters, classes, etc. What unique features do you think will come with the release of FE Switch.

That's simply an issue of budget, not hardware limitations. If they wanted to make any of the 3DS games with bigger maps, more chapters, and more classes they would've-- but that takes time and money. I sincerely doubt there's going to be a notable jump in those departments. 

4 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Nintendo already merged their handheld and console divisions while working on the Switch, meaning it's the only piece of hardware they plan to support long-term. The 3DS is more or less just coasting by right now.

they're still planning on supporting the 3ds into 2019, with the Luigi's Mansion remake and Bowser's Inside Story remake, but that's neither here or there. they probably choose the Switch because they're a major second party company, and Nintendo probably wants more popular titles on the Switch to draw more people to it.

3DS is pretty much dead in all regions. Only Pokemon is the one left charting for it in Japan. I expect mechanic like RD/POR but more lively look of the 3DS games. Dating mechanic stuff.

I really have no idea what new stuff they can come up for it though especially on the SWITCH. FEH is different from Go to be integrated to the mainline FE game. Maybe Cipher cards compatibility? IDK