Working on a plot for a Pokemon game, need help brainstorming ideas.

Fryer

Currently brainstorming ideas for a possible plot I could use for a ROM hack I could make in the future. The premise involves the MC getting 8 badges and stopping an evil team in the process. the usual. Where my plot deviates from the traditional game is that the antagonistic team for the storyline is actually a cult that is manipulated by legendary Pokemon inspired by the Balinese mythology of Barong and Rangda (as a side note, I am not set on names yet).

The lore involves Barong and Rangda being locked in a prolonged battle. Their battles are normally kept secluded, though the few humans who have seen them active across the ages record them as legends. Rangda, being the demon queen, decides to use her abilities to manipulate trainers and Pokemon alike to gain an upper hand in her battle against Barong, shortly after the MC begins his or her journey. The MC will occasionally encounter manipulated trainers and battle them. The problem is, I don't know how to approach this. I could see that near the climax of the game (before the League), you would have one final battle with the cult where you find out that a number of possessed humans have been building a hidden shrine where they can release their Infinity Energy to Rangda in order to empower it and defeat Barong. Upon defeating all the cult members and saving them, the MC would battle Rangda personally and either capture or defeat her, finally ending the battle between the two legendaries. As a post-game event, the MC could encounter Barong and potentially capture it.

If anyone has any ideas on how I could run the plot, please share it. I also need help brainstorming ideas for a potential "trio" of legendaries that can supplement the story.

Edited by Fryer

• 2 months later...

MC's parents are constantly travelling or working so they dump MC and his/her (egg of some sort of baby pokemon. One that evolves with friendship) on his/her older half-brother who is an elite four in region X. MC starts a journey under his/her brother's suggestion and goes to see the region's professor to get a choice of a starter (preferably not the standard three type: ie. not fire, water, and grass). On MC's journey, he/she gets mixed up in the cult mess and saves the world. 

Yes, I did not give any names for regions. MC moves from one region to another. The professor's name and gender is for you to decide too! Since this is your hack, you deserve to name it. You can chose any pokemon to fill in the holes that I left. What I provided is just a suggestion. I don't really expect my idea to be used, but please do give some credit if it is:)

• 2 months later...

What are the cores themes and messages of your story? It will help you tremendously in figuring out the the ideas and game features you want to develop. 

What aspects or concepts do your legendaries rule? What is their place in the world of your creation?

What will Barong do during the story? Will they be more involved? It would be nice if, like Tapukoko in S&M, they appear once or twice to assist the player indirectly or not. They seem to be portrayed as the "good" to Rangda's "evil".