Things you want/don't want/expect to be saying about the Fire Emblem reveal

I've been burned on predicting Fire Emblem at every Direct for the last year, but I'm opening up my heart again to say it's finally coming at this year's E3. Let's imagine what that trailer will look like and list the things we want to be saying, don't want to be saying, and expect we'll say about it.

Things I want to be saying about Fire Emblem Switch

• I've been waiting for years to punch the crap out of dudes so I can't wait to use the Monk class.
  • Dialogue options? Suddenly the Avatar character makes sense!
  • Oh cool, you can swap the 3D graphics for sprites on the map.
  • Brb downloading the demo.

Things I don't want to be saying about Fire Emblem Switch

• They're doing multiple versions again...180 dollars to see all three routes huh? Oh and yup, they're peddling the Season Pass before release
  • Gee, thanks IS. After a year of crossovers and remakes I'm glad we're getting another Fates/Awakening crossover game. Let's start dusting off those character tropes because nobody's getting any character development here.
  • Hey I'm open to a real world setting but did the Maid Cafe really need to be one of the first side activities they showed off? 

Things I expect to be saying about Fire Emblem Switch

• Guys come on, I'm sure the mysterious blue haired girl is neither Azura nor Lucina. This is clearly a different world.
  • I'll bet that the Mom character will get axed off within the first hour. Any takers?
  • Uh oh, which dark dragon god is possessing the old, sinister looking guy?
Edited by Glennstavos

18 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:
  • Dialogue options? Suddenly the Avatar character makes sense!
  • Oh cool, you can swap the 3D graphics for sprites on the map.

Things I don't want to be saying about Fire Emblem Switch

• They're doing multiple versions again...180 dollars to see all three routes huh? Oh and yup, they're peddling the Season Pass before release

Things I expect to be saying about Fire Emblem Switch

• Guys come on, I'm sure the mysterious blue haired girl is neither Azura nor Lucina. This is clearly a different world.
  • I'll bet that the Mom character will get axed off within the first hour. Any takers?
  • Uh oh, which dark dragon god is possessing the old, sinister looking guy?

The things you say are things I also hope to say. (If they actually do an Avatar with Dialogue options I'd be fine, so long as they have even the mildest of impact, and not just immediate dialogue change.) I want more choices in the game so that things can have more replay ability. In SoV we got portraits of characters looking directly at the screen (Alm) so they could do the same for supports with the Avatar, and then sideview portraits when they are talking to other units.

If we do multiple versions again I might cry. (Though I wouldn't mind multiple routes/parties ala FE: SOV and FE: Sacred Stones, just don't peddle it as another game.)

I'm confident that all 3 of those things will be said about the switch though, dark dragon god. Though I'm gonna actually deviate, it'll be a dead father character that we deeply respect, as well as the mysterious blue haired girl will actually be the mysterious pink haired girl. (Obviously there will be 3 focus characters of the avatar, lord-type, and mysterious-princess type.)

Edited by RookofSpades

Maid cafe?

I'm just wondering if the leak awhile back was at all true, with the succubi and moonshifters and medieval gothic theme.

Want to say: "This looks like a game we can all enjoy"

Don't want to say: "Great, even more fanservice"

Expect to say: "Seems interesting but I'll have to wait for more story details after seeing what happened with Fates"

30 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

OH MY GOD

Things I will probably say, regardless of whether or not this game is shown:

- Tone it down, this is a video game
- No, it's not okay to take a shit on (insert another FE game here), try to be respectful
- Yes, the Code of Conduct applies to you
- The next time you do anything like this will be grounds for a nice, long suspension

My internal dialogue will be much worse, I promise.

12 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Don't want to say: "Great, even more fanservice"

Please nothing like what they did with Camilla, where footage from the trailer featuring her swaying cleavage within the hour became a gif. IS had nothing to do with the gif's creation, but they could have not provided the footage that would sans a single memey word written on it become a thing.

5 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I know right? Remember on the first Fates trailer where everybody thought Azura was Lucina? Classic throwback.

Odd, I thought she was Ninian. Although Azura was an attempt to fabricate a Lucina (which seems to have failed, but being an MC of Fates, she still shows up heavily), Azura's powers speak more of Ninian.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Things i expect to see

• The fanbase takes a trip to the Dead Sea

And there, somebody will be writing some papyri and copper tablets declaring they are the children of light who will one day vanquish the darkness that is the diabolical FE 16 and all it stands for and restore the series to eternal bliss and salvation. They shall be known as the Dead Sea Whines.

What I want to be able to say: "Finally, I will be able to read supports and plot again. Playing purely for gameplay leaves something of a small void in my heart."

What I will likely be saying: "Like everyone else, I liked the concept of the avatar before it ever existed, but now, I wish it never did, and am not looking forward to it again."

Things I want to say

- Good, we're going back to basics and getting rid of reclassing

- Good, we're going back to the Tellius skill system

- Good, they rebalancing the classes and giving players a reason to use classes other than mounted ones.

Things I don't want to say

- Oh good lord, they're doubling down on the worst parts of Fates

- Oh good lord, they're just making this a Disgaea/FF Tactics clone

Things I expect to say

- Well, at least we have something to talk about instead of just speculation

Want:

"I'm loving this art style. Props to this... (insert japanese name here) fellow/lady."

"Oooh, a lord who uses a (non-sword weapon)! Nice!"

"I like this music! Nice combination of violin and guitar."

"Oooh, this is a cool class, I love the animations."

Don't Want:

"Yay. More fanservice."

"Joy. Obviously evil villains that the protagonist trusts."

"Wonderful. An avatar lord."

Expect:

"I wonder if these guys are going to get into Heroes."

Want: Something

Don't want: Nothing

Expect: An expansion/evolution of the system Awakening and Fates has been using.

Want to say:

"What an incredible looking world this game is set in!"

"A Tellius prequel? Take my money!"

Don't want to say:

"Oh, joy. They've split the story into 3 games and an expansion pass."

Expect to say:

"Oh look... it's Archanea.... again."

Edited by Etheus

Wants:

Avatar character to not have the personality of a toaster. This could be through dialogue options that actually matter or having the option to pick a personality in the character creation menu that would give the character different sets of dialogue during the story and in supports to make them more interesting

To bring back my favorite parts of Radiant Dawn's mechanics (skill system, laguz, 3 promotion tiers, the magic system but with dark actually being available)

I like the new art style but the character designs are too ridiculous, I think the Tellius games have plenty of flaws, but they really nailed bringing in the anime aesthetic while maintaining realistic enough proportions and armor designs, I would like to see that again

Doesn't Want:

Yet another lackluster story. Radiant Dawn and onward have been particularly weak, though it doesn't matter THAT much since I mainly play for the gameplay

Too many lords

The game to rely too much on min/maxing

The big bad guy to be a dragon again. Radiant Dawn's story has plenty of problems but it deviates enough from the norm that it doesn't bother me very much

Edited by LetMeRomanceYou

Want to say: 

• FE16 still exists.
  • The trailer has nice graphics. 
  • Look at those sick animations!
  • I'll finally buy a Switch for this.

Don't want to say: 

• Delayed until Fall 2019.
  • Chill, it'll still come one day. Reggie said it exists for 3 seconds during the direct.
  • "Please understand"
  • This guy/girl is giving me Corrin vibes.
  • Well, I can hold off from buying a Switch for another year.

Expect to say:

• Don't judge it by it's first appearance, it may be better than you're thinking.
  • Is the new avatar going to be Robin 2.0 or Kris 2.0? I was hoping for Mark 2.0 though. 
  • Who's this? She looks like "insert FE girl here" but now with swords.

Want to say:

• This looks better than I expected!
  • Female Axe infantry Lord!  AAAAAAAAAHHHH I CAN DIE HAPPY
  • Glad they're shifting away from fanservice this time around

Don't want to say:

• More Child Units.  Great.  Just what we needed.
  • Another Sword Lord?  Really, IS?  Did you learn nothing at all from Warriors's PR?
  • ...Where's the game?  You were supposed to reveal the game here!  Arrrrgh

Expect to say:

Spoiler

(Okay.  Maybe not these exact words, since I don't like to swear.  But something along their lines.)

What I want to say:

The radiant dawn skill system really was the most balanced way to handle them and I am happy they chose to use it for the new entry

Priam as a lord in a new tellius game? I'll take it.

I am overjoyed that the character designs are at the same time not really sleazy and yet are also appealing enough to permit me to play this game in public.

that's cool, they added compatibility with all the amiibos and they can be recruited, I may just have to get a tiki sometime. 

what I don't want to say:

it's better than nothing

map sprites... wonderful

a new low for character and class design

these jiggle physics are incredible

what I expect to say:

next stop, an official fire emblem hentai

how is that outfit supposed to work

"fire emblem... was a mistake" - Shouzou Kaga's dying words

I don't know how I feel about this, but somewhere down the line I know it's fans will make me hate it

Edited by thecrimsonflash

what i want:

breakable weapons

expieriense share like sov or radiant dawn

more awsome characters like, noir, tharjia, lon qu, lucina, nephenee, ike, dark knight, sirius, lyn and so on!

more online gaming( fire emblem maker) so u can fight togherether with other player in the map 

more cool classes

lesbians can have adopted children!

what i dont want:

children realms like fates

boring characters

boring dlc

boring online gaming

3 versions of the game like fates

boring supports

cesnorship!

thats all!

Want:

Alright, this is shaping up to be pretty neat world. Looks like SoV was a good influence.

I'm liking what little gameplay we saw so far.

Do not want:

Oh man, more Fateslandia! (Just, don't set it there.)

Really, nothing at all? Not even a vague release date?

Expect:

Wait, was there anything? Oh, 2019.

I realized after reading through all I wrote here that I have a lot of complaints about the series...but I just want to say that the reasons why I love FE are way, way more than the issues I have with it. Anyways...

Want to say:

• The side characters are well-integrated into the storyline, instead of disappearing from relevance immediately after recruitment.
  • Rei Kondoh is back on the sound team!!!
  • The plot is poignant and well-written/localized, is this 2003?
  • They thought of a cool way to use the Switch's unique features as a part of the game, instead of just putting it on the Switch for the sake of moving on from the 3DS!
  • This local/online co-op/VS mode is awesome.
  • The FE10 promotion system is back.
  • The marriage system is back, sans children.
  • The game features an FE7-esque avatar again.

Don't want to say:

• This plot makes me want to stop playing...
  • Every gender-compatible support chain ends with marriage again.
  • The playable adult children are back.
  • All the main characters have the same, unfailingly straight-laced and generic personality again.
  • All the side characters are one-dimensional again.
  • Another sword lord.
  • Why is this game easy on the highest difficulty?
  • Release postponed. They haven't been telling us anything because there actually isn't a game yet!

Expect to say:

• Another 3DS-style avatar.
  • W a i f u s
  • How did they make a difficulty level easier than Phoenix?
  • Here's more fun-looking DLC I will never buy...
  • (FE16 character) is going to be some major powercreep in Heroes

What I Want To Say:

• "Each nation/faction looks distinct and different! No longer will we be fighting generic enemy nations no. 174!"
  • "The faces of your enemies are randomized! No longer is generic enemy no. 9472 a thing!"
  • "That armor looks powerful AND practical!"
  • "Finally! Every single female character is wearing something modest!"
  • "I love these realistic battle animations!" or "They found that fine line between down-to-earth and over-the-top!"
  • "They Made Axes Awesome!!!"
  • "The artwork is amazing!"
  • "They perfectly balanced showing off the cutscenes and the gameplay."
  • "New Game Plus is a thing! No longer will the hackers be the only ones to play the game randomized!"
  • "This game is complex in all the right ways and for all the right reasons!"
  • "They got Chris Avallone as a writer! My dreams have come true!"

What I'd Be Mixed On Saying:

• "Hey, they finally added blood. And it's based off of Lugaru/Mount and Blade, so it should still keep it's teen rati- OH MY GOSH! That looked like it HURT!"
  • "So clothing damage is realistic and dynamic this time around. Hopefully it won't be as blatantly fanseric-HOLY CRAP! When did you walk through a meatgrinder?!?"
  • "On the one hand, I do like how they presented this scene. It's a warning that the game will be darker than most fire emblem games, or at least, they're going to do more showing than telling, but they won't overstep their boundaries. On the other hand, the swearing was unnecessary, and I wonder if this will come at a cost of something..."
  • "This is barely T-rated, isn't it?"
  • "This is a good guy, right? Because that critical attack was a little to brutal to be heroic, honestly."
  • "Nice to see capturing return, and they aren't going the cartoony route with showing it. However, the way that thief captured that cleric looked... uncomfortably down-to-earth and realistic, if you don't mind me saying. I am a little concerned about what the 'thief exclusive equipment' looks like now."
  • "I like that the cast so far is quirky without being gimmicky, but I am worried if they can successfully pull off the more serious and dramatic moments."

What I Don't Want To Say:

• "You didn't need to make the divide in the fanbase so bluntly clear, y'know."
  • "For goodness sake, showing off skin is the absolute worse thing you can do in a fight! When will you guy's realize this?!"
  • "You... didn't need to appeal to that crowd. At all."
  • "That was a poor attempt at looking 'edgy.'"
  • "IS, you don't need these kind of mini-games to add character to the cast. Having them talk more will do the same job. Those resources could have gone been put better use elsewhere."
  • "Oh, no. The writers of Echoes really were too busy to work on this game!"
  • "Well, there goes the replay value."
  • "Look, Awakening simplified mechanics to be more accessible, yes, but it was still a strategy game, and it had still lived up to the series trademark difficulty. This... is easy enough that my [non-gamer relative] could beat this game half asleep in a blind playthrough" OR "Tharcia 776 was (presumably) a good game, but it's biggest flaw was how beginner unfriendly it was. This... makes suggesting that game as a first choice look plausible."

What I'm Expecting:

• "About time we had another lord that didn't wield a sword or have blue hair."
  • "Giving that character Heterochromia iridum was a really clever and subtle way of showing that they aren't flipping the portraits for this game."
  • "I wish they could have shown off more gameplay, but what I saw did make me excited."
  • "I still don't like that the game isn't fanservice-free, but at least the characters that are aren't offensively so, and they seem to be in the minority."
  • "About time Fire Emblem jumped on the 'customize your characters' boat'."
  • "The story doesn't seem like it's going to be a masterpiece, but you know what? I liked what I saw, so I'm not going to complain."
  • "They seemed to have toned down the number of gimmicky characters this time around."
  • "Nice to see that they added rewards for beating the game. I would have liked a more complete New Game+ mode, but I'll take what I can get."
  • "Predictably, Amiibos."

30 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

What I'm Expecting:

• "Giving that character Heterochromia iridum was a really clever and subtle way of showing that they aren't flipping the portraits for this game."

that's hardly subtle and says nothing about mirroring, that is just a recolor, I could do that in gimp in fifteen minutes at most and still mirror all the other portraits.

Want To Say

"Holy crap they've patched things up with Kaga!"

Don't Want To Say

"Tits."

Expect To Say

"Tits."

Don't Expect To Say

"I never thought you could have too many puppies, yet here we are."

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

that's hardly subtle and says nothing about mirroring, that is just a recolor, I could do that in gimp in fifteen minutes at most and still mirror all the other portraits.

Well, if you want to be cynical, they'd only need to create two different portraits for the character with the scar or the different colored eyes, and you could convince people that the portrait for every character won't be mirrored this time around.

On the other hand, it took a while for some people to notice that Alm was left-handed, and while different colored eyes are more noticeable, you could catch a few people of guard by having the portraits be accurate both ways, meaning that the people who are looking for the difference would notice it first.