Most Welcome Pitybreakers

kirauza343

We've all had it happen: you're pulling for certain five star units only to get surprised by someone completely different. Sometimes it's someone you really don't want, like the Merrics (well, not anymore at least) and Mists of the world but other times it's someone that's just as good or better than what you were after in the first place. Who are those units you were pleasantly surprised to get and whose banner did they show up on?

For me, it's these:

• Sigurd: Halloween Banner. I was hunting for Nowi because I was desperate for any flying mage and wound up with him, and he's made himself a staple on my primary horse team 
  • Ninian: Bridal Banner 1. In my failed hunt for Charlotte (which continues to this day), Ninian became the first 5 start exclusive dancer I pulled. She had a place on multiple secondary teams and now enjoys a spot on my dragon team (and was also a huge part of the team that first beat lunatic chain challenge 11-12, for which I will always be grateful)
  • Reinhardt: Bridal Banner 1 just like Ninian. He was my first Reinhardt (and i think I've only pulled 2 copies of him the entire time I've played, and I've been pulling so much blue lately), and I was blessed with the +atk nature he loves so much.

How about y'all?

I was trying for M!Morgan and wound up with Helpful!Chrom when they first came out. I really wasn't interested in pulling another sword user, and didn't have the orbs to keep pulling. And yet I think he has stayed on my main team longer than Morgan ever would have. He's always being helpful: he sort of showed up for me as soon as Dragon Teams started being really common.

New Year Azura on her banner, I wanted NY!Camilla

Valetine Roy on his banner, I wanted V!Lyn

Lene on her banner, I wanted Ares... Then in my next 5 orbs, Ares come searching for his girlfriend

When my friend was trying to get Love Abounds Hector, he got pity broken by his first Hector (Vanilla). Ironic right?

Edited by Arcphoenix

So I tried to pull Hardin on his launch banner bc I wanted Bold Fighter for Hector. Sink a bunch of orbs, do not get Hardin, give up

IS is like, hi Lumi we know you want to save but nah have a Hector banner and he's one of my main guys so I'm like fff gotta pull merges, I try Hector merges, no Hector

Managed to scrape together one last f2p orb pull, no green, fuck, pull blue since my Rein wasn't +10 at the time yet

Hardin shows up

Anyway so now Hector has Bold Fighter

Also any time Olwen pitybreaks me bc I probably want her more than [insert other blue] anyway

Edited by Thor Odinson

Most of my pity breakers have been pretty bad, but I have had a few really nice ones.

1. Hector: Got him while trying to summon Summer Robin last year. I'd gotten one before on the first hero fest banner, but he was still very welcome for DC fodder.
  2. Azura: She also pity broke me on that same banner. I'd really wanted her since the game launched so it was great, even if she was -spd. (I got pity broken by her again a couple months ago with a neutral IV, so that was cool too)
  3. Elise: She pity broke me in my orb-intensive quest for the new Hinoka alt. It took me a ton of orbs to get Hinoka in the end, but I'm happy if I had to get pity broken it was by Elise of all things, who'd I'd desperately been wanting. (and she was +spd -hp, so that was amazing)
  4. Alm: ALSO on that Summer Robin banner. He's just +def -res, so not perfect, but he went from odd pity breaker to helpful Falchion healer in the early TTs, to Dragon killer with his new refine. So at first I didn't care about getting him, but as time went by his usefulness just kept going up and I realized how good of a pity breaker he ended up being.
Edited by Alkaid

Any unit I don't own since my goal is to have everybody. I can't do anything with these extra Sakuras and Rebeccas, and I've run out of potential Slaying Lance wielders to use my 5 star lukas' on. Nearly every lance user that wants Slaying Lance has natural access to it. Wish I were swimming in Slaying Axe fodder instead, got at least five or six waiting for that.

I suppose I wouldn't mind another pity breaker Ike. The first I pulled was +Res/-Def. There are only two natures worse than that and +Res/-Spd is one of them. Could use a neutral or better version even if he never matches up to my freebie Legendary Ike.

Edited by Glennstavos

Most of my pity breaker have been pretty bad, when they aren't they tend to appear on the same circle as the unit I was looking for (Ayra when I wanted Eirikalter, got both) so I don't count them as such, they are bonuses. 

I suppose Y!Tiki and Minerva when I pulled for S!Camilla in the first Spring banner would count. I didn't paricularly want Camilla but she was pretty unique, instead of her I got the former two with wonderful natures and have been very good on my teams ever since. 

There's also the second B!Ike I got from a recent banner (I think it was the new Bride banner). He is worse than my first one but Steady Breath is always a good skill to have around.

1) When trying to pull on the Thracia banner, I didn't have any Red orbs, so I pulled on a Green. I ended up getting Sonya out of it, which was a character I wanted for a long time and she had great IVs to boot. 

2) I did a free Summon on a Skill banner and ended up getting a random Lucina. Her IVs weren't as good as Sonya's, but still workable and she's been an important asset for some of my harder PvE challenges.

3) I got a Lyn trying to pull for B!Lyn for Skills.   

Edited by Medeus

>I remember back at the beginning of the Sacred Memories banner, one of my first pulls in hopes of getting one of these three cool looking units... I instead got Lute.

She was, to be honest, a unit I had wanted, but I certainly didn't expect to get her not just randomly, but randomly in the banner featuring her game. She's been useful since, with her +Res -HP nature and Fury 3 enabling the ability to disable the enemy.

I also got 5* Seth one summoning session later, but he at least wasn't a 5* lock.

>Legendary Grima legendary banner, I was hoping I could get Witch Nowi, but I honestly had dashed hopes and even worse hotel internet, so I was just hoping I could exhaust my pity rate before I left feeling deep regrets.

I not only got two separate Witch Nowis, one +Res -Spd, which I was originally okay with because her Res was at least pretty good, and the other +Atk -Res, which I immediately merged into. But the units who were probably more likely pity breakers were VL!Ike, a Fjorm I still use, NS!Elise, and ToD!Sakura.

>I guess in the first hour of Scattered Fangs, I did have a pity breaker I was somewhat okay with more than I would have been otherwise... Meister Reinhardt, which I'm only okay with because he isn't a Red pity breaker I already own.

I'm otherwise not sure what else to say... pity breakers for me always go one of two ways: I already own the pity breaker, and the nature can either be good or bad, or the pity breaker was of a 4*-available unit who I already own and have built. Thank god for the summoning pool changes, amiright?

I've at least gotten a few Gennys and Fayes over time that I'm more okay with than some other pity breakers...

• Klein
  • Hana
  • Thany
  • Barst
  • Bartre
  • That dude from Fates with fury at low star ranks
  • Jeigan
  • Hawkeye
  • Boey
  • Roy
  • Selena
  • Armor/Flier/Cav buffs

I use a LOT of Death Blow, Fury, LnD, Reposition, Ignis (and the other derivatives/counterparts), triangle adept, and so on.

just need to get me 2 more copes of Fury 3 so Arvis and Valter can roam free.

There aren't many pity-breakers that are part of my regular teams. The M Grima I recently got on the new Brides banner is pretty neat, though I haven't actually built him yet. My first Ninian was off-focus too but no idea what banner she came from. Hinoka is up there too, since up until I got Airzura, she was a necessity to boost Summer Corrin's Blarblade.

In the second tier, there's units like a +Atk Lilina and +Atk Effie, but not being 5* exclusive they're not that big of a deal and I'd rather have the focus unit. Then there are great nature Jaffar and Sanaki, but I use neither of them. There's also Alm who was bad news at the time but is at least a decent unit now with his refinement.

At the "meh, kinda useful" tier, there are a couple of Lindes, one mediocre one bad. A bad Eldigan who was useful as a backup Xander for a while. My first Ike with -atk. And perhaps Maria, my first ever 5-star.

I have had a couple:

1) H!Nowi on the Halloween banner. The welcome part took a while to set in because it was the last day of the Halloween banner and I had spent that month desperately trying anf failing to get Sakunyan. (Even sending home two H!Jakobs, who will never be welcome no matter how broken he is) On the last attempt, with only 5 orbs left, I got no colourless to pull from and resignedly pulled on a red orb not expecting much. And Nowi popped up. I was exasperated that I had literally gotten every Halloween unit except the one I wanted most (got Henry on a free pull), so it took me a while to warm up to her, but she's been an integral part of my flier team even with her bad bane (-Spd). I still would have preferred Sakunyan, but this payed off in the long run.

2) Amelia popped up on the LG banner when I was going for Ryouma. Her slaying axe was great for W!Lissa.

3) Elise, who I think came to me on the Fallen Heroes banner. 

4) F!Grima, but only the first one. The game chose to fling her at me 4 times over instead of giving me a single Sakunyan.

5) Y!Tiki merge on the last TT banner.

the last time I was happy for a pitybreaker....

I guess lovers hector counts since I wanted lovers lilina instead. hec he pity broke me twice. and ended up as good fodder for Zephiel.

Hardin in the rerun of last years bride banner (i really need more armored units, he is the only one I have ever pulled).

Bride Cordelia in the her 8% banner, think i was going for Genny.

Pulled Reinhardt (and Olwen) from a banner I do not remember, did not use them for a while since I had no idea who they were but heard how good Reinhardt could be and he is now one of my favorites.

Never pulled for Catria but wound up with 3 plus 4 4-stars makes her the closest unit I have to getting to +10

This goes for any character (particularly Lyn and Tharja right now) but when I get a 4th version it makes the alt versions I had as pity breakers worth it.

I had Ayra and Hardin pity break me on the Bridal Blooms banner, and Delthea pity break me on the Bridal Blessings rerun banner. All from free orbs too, I eventually got my bride units but those were units I didn't mind pity breaking my odds.

While trying to get B!Ninian I found myself in the one place that you never want to be when color sniping, two red and three colorless I would have gone for green because I wouldn't mind sanaki, but I didn't want garbage in my catalogue of heroes, so I went colorless hoping it would be a 3* or 4*, but I wouldn't be here if it was, the shadow subsided and who else but Elise to greet me, I laughed a bit and said "I'll take it", I never pulled from the banner again because I need to save orbs, honestly this game has been forgiven for that 5* sakura during the SoV banner, that was a pity breaker that I did not appreciate.

my 3 extra V!Ikes, have been very nice, seriously, to everyone who voted for him to be our free unit I hope you are on your 4th V!Ike, because this one is way too common. Ranting aside, I appreciate the warding breath and def tactic fodder (not that I don't like Ike, but he just always has too good skills to pass up on).

I also got a sigbert, a while back, now that we have legault likely dropping to 4* I feel bad for feeding him to Micaiah to give her atk tactic, such a waste, not that I was going to use him much though, I prefer eldigan.

A couple banners: The Reinhardt - saved me 20K feathers per pitybreaker Reinhardt

Performing Arts: Brave Ike - led to Black Knight having Steady Breath (this was months before Bold Fighter and Zelgius got added)

World of Dawn: Azura - at the time, she was the only dancer I had yet to pull

Love Abounds: Mae - instant Blarowl+ for armored Lyn (not sure she really qualifies though since she got pulled right after I got a copy of Lyn in a separate session so only base 3%)

Ooh, I also forgot about the Brave Ike that showed up during Valentines because I foddered him off. Marisa will never forget his sacrifice and neither shall I, because giving her Steady Breath was one of the best decisions I've made in this game.

I got color blocked by Lissa going for Chrom on the Winter banner. What was first a huge disappointment turned into a major help. At the time, she was my only proper tank and she's been a big help for countless challenges ever since.

Hinoka pity broke on the World of Dawn banner. Her IVs were kind of bad, but in trying to salvage her by giving her a new role as Flier support, I wanted to start trying different builds on others, resulting in a creative spark of sorts.

Any unit I don't already own is welcome to me (with the occasional seasonal exception). 

My favourite off focus units have been Leo and Ryoma (back before they'd even had one banner). There have possibly been more, but these spring to my mind most readily :)