Everyone's backlog? mid-2018 edition

henrymidfields

So, again, I'm asking everyone's backlog for 2018, in continuation of last year's backlog thread. What's everyone's list of games?

Mine is the following:

Spoiler

Done for 2017-2018:

• Fire Emblem Fates Conquest

UPDATE: Done

Aborted:

• LoZ Spirit Tracks

About to finish:

• Persona 4 Golden (1st runthrough; True End) FINISHED - Commenced 2nd runthrough

In progress:

• Persona 4 Dancing All Night
  • Pokemon Sun

Waiting list:

• Persona 3 Portable
  • Persona 4 Arena games
  • Persona 5
  • Devil Survivor 1
  • Radiant Historia 3DS
  • The two FE Tellius games
  • LoZ Twilight Princess
  • LoZ Skyward Sword
  • Pokemon: Colosseum
  • Pokemon: Gale of Darkness
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
  • F-Zero GC cancelled
  • LoZ Wind Waker
  • LoZ Twilight Princess
  • LoZ Breath of the Wild
  • FE 16?

Maybes

• Valkyria Chronicles 1/3/4
  • LA Noire

Edited by henrymidfields

Finished in 2018

• Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
  • Sonic Forces
  • Metroid Prime 3 (100% Hyper Mode playthrough)
  • Gunman Clive HD Collection
  • The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
  • Bayonetta 
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Hardest difficulty Playthoughs of God of War 2, 3, Ascension, and Ghost of Sparta
  • Celeste
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • Medal of Honor: Frontline
  • Secret Agent Clank
  • Warhammer: Vermintide 2
  • Star Wars Pod Racer Revenge
  • Mighty Switch Force
  • Crash Twinsanity
  • God of War (2018)
  • Ratchet and Clank (2016)
  • Mad Max

In Progress: The Swindle. That's a difficult game. Also Lost Planet Extreme Conditions. Got about an hour left on it. Will play the second one with a friend immediately after if I can get Windows Live to work.

Aborted: Possibly Infamous Second Son. I dunno, I can't get into this game but I'm still trying atm.

Waiting List: I'm thinking Just Cause 2 since I loved Mad Max and realize it was made by the Just Cause guys. Just trying to tame my Steam collection and I've got a lot of good games to pick from.

Backlog

Finished in 2018 

• Xenogears
  • Trails in the Sky trilogy
  • Celeste

In-progress

• Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (technically, i've already beaten the main story but i'm in the middle of 100% the game and the DLC is giving me more to look for)
  • Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
  • Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and Lost Ocean
  • Trails to Zero
  • Trails of Cold Steel
  • Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Aborted

• Kirby: Star Allies
  • Tales of Phantasia
  • Tales of the Abyss

On-hold

• Soma Bringer

Waiting list (only games that have released and have been localized, unless they can't and require a translation patch, go here)

• Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse
  • Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X (Switch port please but i'm willing to buy a Wii U just for it)
  • Baten Kaitos Origins
  • Trails to Azure (hope that translation patch gets done soon)
  • Trails of Cold Steel II
  • Ys (i'm still deciding on which game to actually start with)
  • Blazblue CrossTag Battle 

I haven't finished one new videogame in this year yet except for Persona 5 very early this year.
Decided to replay the one or other game instead.

Completed in 2018:

• Persona 5 (first time)
  • Tales of Graces (second time)

Currently playing:

• Tales of Zestiria (second time)

Owned games I still have to beat for the first time:

• Trails in the Sky FC
  • Trails in the Sky SC
  • Trails in the Sky TC
  • Ys 1
  • Ys 2
  • The Legend of Zelda. Ocarina of Time
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Devil May Cry 1

New Backlog 2018

Wizardry 8

Master of Magic 

The other SSI games included on the GoG "Forgotten Realms Archives Volume Two" after Pool of Radiance

Lode Runner 3D (n64)

Aggresive Inline (GCN)

Red Dead Redemption 2 (expecting Winter release)

Doom Eternal (expecting Summer 2019 tbh) 

Mr Driller 2

Yoshi Switch

Star control Origins (pretty much guranteed June or July release)

Star Control: Ghosts of the Precursors (release uncertain)

Grinding up to a Tier 10 in World of Tanks

Replays

Roller Coaster Tycoon - want to force my physical disc to work, but compatibiliy mode is not having it.

Star Wars: Tie Fighter - I have gotten dosbox to run it, but goign to invest in a joystick rather than use it's full keyboard controls  (laptop is missing keys it expects you to have)

Ape Escape: Pumped and Primed - pending a re-purchase due to scratched disk

Steambot Chronicles - pending a re-purchase due to scratched disk

Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim - trying to solve my recording issues so I can get the RTA speedrun in addition to the IGT speedrun.

Last Year's stuff

Future Tactics: The Uprising- Did second story, abandonded plans of speedrunning.

Blood(1997)- beat game - Completed.

Hexen- beat game - Completed.

Roll Away- beat game - Completed.

Wesnoth- the remaining mainline campaigns on their hardest difficulties. - Completed

Last Resort- get a 1CC - Completed,

Loonyland 1 and 2 (merit badges, alternate characters)-  Completed both 

StarCraft: Brood War's singleplayer - Finished Protoss campaign, but not zerg or terran. - AGAIN

Bombastic (PS2) -Got Perfect on Every Reverse Stage. Got to level 100 in advanced trial/score attack but still not classic or bombastic.

Hardest difficulty for Perfect Dark's solo campaign. - Up to air force one. - No Progress at all - due to lack of playing, probbbably wouldn't be  that hard for me.

Monaco: What's Yours is Mine speedrun - Doing IL for "Scent of a Rival" currently 2nd place, but have the best 1st floor split, so it shouldn't take much longer.... Way too many hours commited to this, so I have no choice but to keep going.

King of Dragon Pass-  Didn't actually do much of the new content, had more fun making others play it than doing it myself.

Robopon: Sun version-  Got to 3rd Robot Master and quit because it's a stupid meme game.

Secret of Mana-  Canceled because the people I wanted to play it through in multiplayer backed out.

Tales of Symphonia- Canceled because the people I wanted to play it through in multiplayer backed out.Steambot Chronicles Speedrun- Didn't find a replacement copy  for a price I wanted

Perfect Dark (GBC)- found the cart while rummaging around. Canceled

Quake 64- Beat game -  Caceled because I couldn't find the cartridge.

Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed- purchase and do multiplayer stuff. - Canceled in favor of more Mario Kart 8. 

THPS 3- earn the other bonus charathers - Canceled.

THPS 4 - Purchase and clear - Canceled.

Devil Dice-  Canceled because the only thing it offers over the sequel bombastic was it's puzzle mode, and I had better puzzle games.

Unplanned stuff - 

Battleblock Theater : Completed 100% SP stuff.

Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom sim - lowered ingame time for Vanilla to 180 days and Northern Expansion to 190 days, making me first place for both. 

Stephen's Sausage Roll : Completed Game

Breath of The Wild : Completed Main Quests.

Mario Oddysey : Completed 100%

Thracia 776: Replayed it all the way through Glade was a beast

Sleepless Hollow: Completed 

Silent Storm: Completed

Duke Nukem 3D (N64 version) Completed

Puyo Puyo Tetris : Completed story modes, but still playing due to online and such.

-

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and Lost Ocean

Coming from a BK fan, congrats! The new computer you said you got before is powerful enough to play it I guess? May I ask what you think of it so far and how far in you are?

As for myself all I'll realistically ask of myself is that by the end of August, that I will have finished:

• XC2's main story (I'm not concerned with superbosses in most games nowadays)- haven't started yet
  • FFIX- also haven't started yet
  • EOU2- all I want is be able to say I made it all the way to the 6th Stratum bosses on both my Story and Classic runs, not concerned about killing them since 99/99 is a grind. I'll try a few weaker superbosses though.
  • Finish off Shovel Knight's two final stages! I'll try Plague and Specter thereafter.
  • Valkyria Chronicles- the whole story. Fortunately I know the first half of this game decently by this point, so I should be better off than last time.

I won't ask much more of myself, knowing well my inexplicable sluggishness.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Coming from a BK fan, congrats! The new computer you said you got before is powerful enough to play it I guess? May I ask what you think of it so far and how far in you are?

I'm still not that far into the game, currently trying to find a rainbow spider-web or something so the kid can show me the way into Giacomo's mansion. Kalas had an asshole moment in the beginning but it such a nice change of pace compared to the protags that i usually see and he's pretty great.

I was a bit iffy on the combat at first, mainly because i wish i could freely use cards from my deck instead of only being able to chose from a hand each time. It's led to me being unable to attack sometimes because i didn't have any attack cards on my current hand during that turn. Same goes for the defense. But i did figure out how to increase my deck and overall, i'm enjoying it (though it does have that one JRPG pet-peeve of mine that is, you don't get gold for killing monsters).

Music is really, really great. I was not expecting The True Mirror -the battle theme- to be as great as it is. Gonna be adding the game's songs to my playlist as i go through the game.

On the technical side, i do get some framerate stutters, usually when there's a lot on the screen (or just moving water, that valley right before the castle town was rough). But i don't think it's my PC's fault. Considering it can run Trails of Cold Steel just fine, the framerate stutters that happen when playing BK is the emulator's fault, and i haven't really found any way to improve Dolphin.

The same goes for Xenosaga, except the framerate is worse, because the PS2 is more demanding than a GameCube. It's fine when there's not a lot going on, and some of the cutscenes are apparently pre-rendered, so it runs at full 60 FPS. Other times, Xenosaga is running at 30-40 FPS. So whenever the framerate is failing me, i go on YouTube to watch the cutscenes instead. 

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I'm still not that far into the game, currently trying to find a rainbow spider-web or something so the kid can show me the way into Giacomo's mansion. Kalas had an asshole moment in the beginning but it such a nice change of pace compared to the protags that i usually see and he's pretty great.

I was a bit iffy on the combat at first, mainly because i wish i could freely use cards from my deck instead of only being able to chose from a hand each time. It's led to me being unable to attack sometimes because i didn't have any attack cards on my current hand during that turn. Same goes for the defense. But i did figure out how to increase my deck and overall, i'm enjoying it (though it does have that one JRPG pet-peeve of mine that is, you don't get gold for killing monsters).

Music is really, really great. I was not expecting The True Mirror -the battle theme- to be as great as it is. Gonna be adding the game's songs to my playlist as i go through the game.

Ah The True Mirror! A personal favorite of mine among battle themes. Originally I preferred the Guitar Version to the original one, but over time, while the Guitar Version rocks, I actually like the standard version more. Something is so elegant about it.

About gold, that is why photographs exist- sell those for money. You generally don't need a lot of gold in this game anyhow- monster drops provide a lot of the good Magnus. But, there are a few things that make better pictures- one, getting the lighting just right. Each area has a different natural lighting level on a scale of 1-10, and using Light and Dark Magnus will affect this. A Light/Dark Flare I is a +1/-1 to brightness level, and each stronger level of Flare adjusts it by another point. These adjustment means can increase the brightness level above 10 by the way, don't know what the cap is. For the best quality pictures, you want the value to be exactly 10 though.

Also a few combat tips:

Spirit Numbers. Those numbers on the cards? Learn to use them! You're only at the very beginning, so it doesn't really matter, but as your class level goes up and you can play more cards, they can make things much easier. Spirit Combos are using pairs/# of a kind and straights. You can do things like a pair of 4s and three 7s and get both boosts, but you can't mix a straight with pairs I think. By using Spirit Combos, your final damage output receives a percentage boost, and on defense, where it isn't as easy to use them, it'll reduce final damage taken. At the very end of the game- final dungeon and optional playable character mini dungeons, you'll be able to perform Sunrise and Sunset straights, consisting of playing all numbers in the order of 1-9 and 9-1 respectively, a Sunrise is +305% and a Sunset +275% for damage, this is additive, not multiplied I believe, so you're quadrupling damage here. Obviously you won't do these crazy things anytime soon, but still the boosts are very helpful, and it'll be better later on to not play every card in your hand if it ruins a Spirit Combo, since it'll actually hurt the damage output. 

Sounds intimidating? Don't worry, as the game progresses, attack and defense Magnus go from 1 Spirit Number per card, to 4 by the end. This makes Spirit Combos much easier to pull off. You should be seeing two numbers on each card by the time you get to the second island, three don't start coming at the earliest until shortly before Disc 2 I think.

My next piece of advice cannot be repeated enough. To avoid a potential unwinnable nightmare, make a separate save before you head to the first dungeon on Disc 2! I had fallen for it in my youth, if you have no backup save, you're basically screwed. The issue is that you cannot leave the dungeon once you're there, and the flower there is Red, not Blue, so you can't level up at all. The boss battle ending the dungeon is also very nasty, if it weren't for this, there wouldn't be such an issue.

Speaking of leveling, since you don't have to level up if you don't want to, you're free to adjust the difficulty to your tastes a bit if you want. If things are too easy, just don't level as much until it's hard enough. I find having good Magnus makes things much easier than a high level, so farming enemies that drop the good Magnus is the best way to make things easier. Lots of good Magnus + good use of Spirit Combos = easy game. Don't farm good Magnus but use Spirit Combos for a more balanced difficultly. Play as you wish.

And speaking of good Magnus, when you get to Mira, no, not the planet, the island, you can get a very good healing Magnus once you're there, and by that I mean in-battle revival with no spoilage due to age. Loading up on that will help. Just tell me and I can point out exactly how to obtain it.

Hope that all helps! I have the old Brady game guide, fairly good for this game, in case you ever need some more advice on little things like sidequests.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My next piece of advice cannot be repeated enough. To avoid a potential unwinnable nightmare, make a separate save before you head to the first dungeon on Disc 2! I had fallen for it in my youth, if you have no backup save, you're basically screwed. The issue is that you cannot leave the dungeon once you're there, and the flower there is Red, not Blue, so you can't level up at all. The boss battle ending the dungeon is also very nasty, if it weren't for this, there wouldn't be such an issue.

Oh yeah, i did hear about this. Thank you for letting me know when it actually happens though. Now i know when to prepare for it.

The rest of the tips you shared are pretty useful. Looks like i'm gonna need Xelha if i really want to take advantage of taking pictures.

Also, which island is Mira? 

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Hope that all helps! I have the old Brady game guide, fairly good for this game, in case you ever need some more advice on little things like sidequests.

Yeah, that'd be nice. I'm not too worried about sidequests in this game but the family tree and star map ones seem like ones i can do as i progress through the plot. Those are the only two sidequests i really wanna do.

Also, which island is Mira?

The purplish one furthest on the left side of the screen. Very cool by the way. It's the fourth to be visited. Basically you go clockwise on your journey for the End Magnus. And it's only a minor spoiler, so I'll tell you that is the last island you visit before Disc 2. Once you're done there, it is onto the second.

Also, you have some rice right? Just one of these is fine. Once it ages, you'll have the first component of the healing item.

Yeah, that'd be nice. I'm not too worried about sidequests in this game but the family tree and star map ones seem like ones i can do as i progress through the plot. Those are the only two sidequests i really wanna do.

Do note it'll take up until before the final dungeon to complete them both. Also, some enemies randomly drop constellation fragments, you'll have to kill them until you get the piece, fortunately you can't choose to not pick them up when they drop, and none of the enemies are permanently missable. I can provide a list of these monsters, names without locations shouldn't be an issue, right? Other pieces are tucked away in treasure chests, dropped by bosses, found by examining things and talking to people in towns, and a few simple and pretty easy anytime fetch quests. 

There is one piece you might be able to permanently miss though. Basically in Diadem, after the hoopla is over there, but before leaving for the next island, you'll want to volunteer doing some cleanup. Complete all of this, it isn't hard or long at all, and you'll get the constellation as a reward from talking to the head of the cleanup. If you don't do the cleanup, the next time you return to Diadem, you'll be able to give the guy who would've give you the constellation a small flower or something. He might reward you with the constellation, but he might not, since there are a couple other rewards the cleanup gives and the guy will randomly only give you one of them from the flower.

Diadem by the way has this one kinda complicated forced sidequest during the more intense part of the plot of the island. The rewards is one good attack Magnus and some peculiar (I forget what made them odd, but it did make them harder to use than regular defense Magnus), I never used them myself, elemental defense Magnus called Auras- one for every element. This is the only way to obtain the Auras if you care. 

Basically it consists of pitting NPC good guys vs. bad guys, it is a little complicated to explain. But basically you have to spend your limited good guys such that they overpower the enemies with the help of the good guys they were already fighting, with as minimal a waste of manpower on your part as possible. Failing to give sufficient help results in the good guys losing with no reward and you having to fight the baddies instead. The enemies come in two types, one stronger than the other (I forget their values), and the good guys come in four ranks, each with a value of 1-4. If you see a situation where it is 2 good guys (their power is always 1 each), fighting 4 bad guys (let us assume they are all a value of 1), you want to bring the good guy value over 4, but without going overboard. So here, a lone +3 ally or a +1 and +2 should be used to get to 5, don't waste your +4.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Finished in 2018

• Okami HD
  • Nights of Azure 2
  • Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
  • Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory
  • Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Redux
  • Etrian Odyssey V

In progress

• The Alliance Alive
  • Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology
  • Shadow of the Colossus HD
  • Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana (I REALLY need to get back to this one)
  • 7th Dragon III Code: VFD (Nth playthrough)
  • Nights of Azure 2 (I want to Platinum this game, because I freaking love it)

Aborted

• Persona 4 Golden

Interested in:

• Fire Emblem Thracia 776
  • 7th Dragon
  • 7th Dragon 2020
  • 7th Dragon 2020-II

Currently looking forward to:

• Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition
  • Trails of Cold Steel III
  • Etrian Odyssey X
Edited by DragonFlames

Plan to play:

• Persona 5
  • Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
  • Trails to Zero and Trails of Azure
  • Radiant Historia remake
  • Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
  • Tales of Berseria
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • Baten Kaitos (maybe. I know the big plot twist, so...)
  • Air Tonellico (probably)
  • Growlanser Generations (I've read a LP of it once)
  • Nioh
  • Okami HD
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV and Nocturne

Plan to continue:

• Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
  • Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
  • Trails of Cold Steel II
  • Tales of Zestiria
  • Freedom Planet
  • XCOM: Enemy Within (I played it a lot but I never actually beat the game)
  • The Witcher 3
  • FTL - Faster than Light
  • Dark Souls I and III
  • Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • Stardew Valley

Waiting for Godot release:

• The Crash Bandicoot remake collection
  • FE Switch
  • Mother 4 (the fangame)
  • Megaman 11
  • All Megaman X titles (replay + waiting for the collection)
  • Ghosts of Tsushima
  • Sekiro
  • Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition

On my replay list:

• Megaman Zero series
  • Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • The Age of Decadence
Edited by Rapier