World of Dragons

Dragoncat

"That was the third time you've been crystallized this month, sir." A young golden scaled peace keeper spoke to the big grizzled copper colored male in front of her. "I'd be more careful if I were you."

An audible gasp rose from the group of soldiers. "She's literal toast." One said. Another shook his head. "Nah, she'll get away with it...the colonel likes her, treats her almost like a daughter." And then the second clamped his mouth shut when he noticed the colonel glaring at him.

Colonel Garre shivered and shook the remaining crystal off his wings. "You're a good kid, Hurik. But I'm fine, they can't keep me down!" He paused to look around. They were smack dab in the middle of the mainland, dragons from all five worlds were supposed to meet today. Four worlds were confirmed. All but dream weavers, but they were recovering from a brutal attack on Lofty Castle, so maybe all their resources were there at the moment.

The peace keepers had brought a good sized platoon, and some stood guard in watchtowers in case of an ambush. It had taken eight of the strongest soldiers to drag the colonel to the meeting place, he had been hit by the crystal spell just hours before and broke free just as they put him down. The other worlds' representatives were starting to arrive now.

When news of the meeting had reached young Fara's ears, she had been excited to go and was one of the first to offer. Among the Magic Crafters, Fara is considered a good choice. Despite her age she's excited and friendly, not as aloof and solitary as the others from her homeworld. The young lilac dragon is the first of her people to arrive, having rushed ahead of the others, so she's there just in time to hear the audible gasps of the already gathered Peace Keeper soldiers. Her blue eyes gaze around at the gathered dragons as she takes in what's currently happening, though now that she's actually there she hangs back from the main group, suddenly wishing she hadn't rushed ahead so as not to interfere in what appears to be a Peace Keeper issue.

The glint of crystal falling off one of their wings catches her eye as she gazes around and she finds her attention drawn back into the group, gazing at the crystal as it falls from the older dragon's wings and hits the ground. If she were back at home, she'd be asking if she could keep a piece to study, but in this instance she feels it may be rude so she remains silent. With the other dragons beginning to arrive she silently slips to the side, waiting for others of her world to arrive alongside the dragons from other areas. She remains quiet, though she will give a quick smile to anyone who happens to hold her eye for a moment. She's hoping to show that she's friendly without exactly putting herself out there... yet.

In the distance thunder can be heard rumbling. Looking up you can't see a single spec of blue in the sky. "These clouds came in fast" coming from a solider on look out in a tower. "Do you think any good will come from this meeting Efreet? We could really use supplies at the very least if not more volunteers for the vanguard." Leaning against a balcony looking out over the landscape i respond, "Something should happen. They just lugged Colonel Garre in crystallized. I'm hoping at least a few of the others saw that before he broke free that way they can see what fate awaits them if they don't act".

Grunting and moving away from the edge of the tower, "At the very least we get a break for a few days from the more serious fighting. Back to back dog fights is getting exhausting and those gnorcs all of sudden pulling out the heavy artillery of ballista doesn't bode well for upcoming battles. If they keep fielding those most of our combat is going to get grounded". Each tower stood with a handful of Peace Keepers manning them looking out over the fields. In addition to manning the towers a few were sent to scout the perimeter and make rounds no more than a few miles from the meeting place.

Down below you can see convoy after convoy arriving with guests and representatives from the other lands. Another solider remarks, "I just hope these clouds don't prelude to something bad happening." I nod my head and stare out into the endless gray sky. The day is just starting and ill weather already sets the mood. 

Edited by Tediz64
Attempting to make it neat looking

"..Some embellishments may be required..." Erandinan mutters under his breath, putting quill to parchment in written record of the gathering.

Erandinan is but a civilian artist, and matters of war are being discussed. He has neither the knowledge nor the interest to contribute.  But he has resolved to chronicle the glorious deeds of the peacekeepers and their cohorts, and make of them the most spectacular epic of their age.

...The great sagas of old never mentioned the heroes being dragged half-crystalized by indignant subordinates... He thinks with a frown. 

A young lilac magic crafter arrives; bright blue eyes flashing in curiosity at the sight of Garre's spell-damaged form. She is quite striking.

Inspired, Erandinan crosses out his opening paragraphs. He begins sketching a heroine in her likeness at the head of a warband--lightning dancing across her fingertips--arching out and laying low hordes of savage, charging gnorks. One breaks through their lines and strikes a crystalizing blow agaisnt the Colonel.

Yes. Some embellishment may be required.

Erandinan regards his work, quite pleased with himself. 

Better.    

Edited by Shoblongoo

A meeting of such size and importance was a boon in many aspects. One of them being in regards to the demand of food needed for the duration of such. As such, for food providers such as Gilbert and his family, the meeting was a big opportinuty. As such, Gilbert and his father found themselves dragging a big sealed box, placed on top of a cart, filled to the brim with meat. 

"Well son, we're almost there," Gilbert's father said.

"Mhm," Gilbert merely grunted, likely due to how obvious the statement was.

"One more perfect delivery," his father continued.

"Well, almost," Gilbert corrected.

His father frowned.

"Yeah, who would've known the Attack Frogs would be extra violent that day."

"Rosco?" Gilbert guessed.

"Well, other than him. And I always thought he was just exaggerating!" His father protested.

"In any case, it was probably the gnorcs. Let's just get this delivery done as soon as possible and head back."

"I agree," Gilbert merely said.

And so, the two continued making the final trek.

"Let's dance, sheepy!" A giant lizard wearing sunglasses and carrying a witch doctor staff spoke to a tall, scarecrow figure beside him. 

"Do NOT call me Sheepy, Shemp. Hey look, that dragon colonel who nearly killed you is here." The scarecrow's pumpkin head was in a constant smirk, but now the sheep inside was also smirking.

"I'm not afraid of him!" Shemp waved his staff and charged out of the bushes to a pair of beast makers with a cart. "Drop the cart! Nobody is getting any boar today!"

The colonel raised his head, eyes widened. "Get them!" He yelled at the soldiers. Several gnorcs and attack dogs were with Toasty and Shemp.

One of the attack dogs lunged at Hurik. She jumped out of the way, but was socked in the jaw by a paw. Spitting flames, the young peace keeper's eyes flashed in the fury of battle.

Gilbert and his father barely had time to register what was now happening all around them before finding themselves under direct danger. Fortunately, the witch doctor had announced himself, throwing out what little surprise factor he had left after emerging from his hiding spot.

"Watch out!" Gilbert was the first to see him coming their way.

"So much for having watchtowers..." his father lamented as they circled the cart.

"Who had the bright idea to meet up in an open field, anyway," Gilbert rolled his eyes.

They weren't fully sure what to do. They were familiar with his sort. Many a Beast Maker also carried the same look. They were no fighters, and this was miles above simple pest control. Flying away was an option, but also an easy target before they could gain a signifcant altitude. They had to act fast.

"What do we do now?" His father wondered.

Gilbert took note of the dogs that were with the gnorcs. Then glanced at the cart. An idea formed. He quickly brought a claw to his mouth, and whistled. Almost immideatedly, he grabbed a piece of boar meat, and threw it in the direction of Shemp.

"What are you...?"

"Run!" Gilbert didn't gave time to his father to ask before grabbing a few pieces of meat, and quickly getting away from the cart, his father following soon after.

After issuing the order to another to light the central torch to alert the others on patrol to return to base Efreet with a few others rush down the tower. "When we make contact i want you to quickly focus on making sure the civilians make it out of the way. You two, circle around and cover them from behind, and you two, stay on me and push their line back. The Colonel is already down there along with others but we are spread too thin and those hounds are flanking us. Do not let them inside with the other representatives!"

Shortly after emerging from the tower our forces immediately collide with Toasty's and Shemp's. In order to block the gnorcs and hounds from circling around to gain entrance to the meeting hall, Efreet and the soldiers quickly get into formation to restrict their access. "Your orders Colonel?"

• 2 weeks later...

"No seriously guys--I'm just the scribe." Erandinan protests as a squad of peacekeepers mobilize him into formation.

All dragons present--warrior by trade or otherwise--are press-ganged into duty, as everything goes to hell at a rather alarming velocity.

"Use yer' horns and use yer' head. Save yer breath for when it counts. Don't fire 'til ya got a clean shot at the whole lot of 'em," a grizzled veteran charges into the thick of the action with a mighty headbutt, sending a mob of gnorks flying.

Okay. That actually doens't look too hard. Erandinan drops his head. Thrusts his horns forward. Charges...

...and impacts with a harmless bounce against the belly fat of a big, nasty gnork. The creature laughs, grabs him by the neck, and throws him into a wall.

The lilac magic crafter gives him a quizzical stare.

"...Meant to do that..." Erandinan gets up, shakes off the debris, and comports himself with as much dignity as possible.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

• 2 weeks later...

Fara remains a short distance away from the others as they gather, a curious look in her eye as she observes them all. Thanks to her constantly shifting gaze she isn't focusing on anything for very long at a time, but she's also one of the first to see the rustling bushes that denote an ambush... unfortunately that means nothing when she dismisses it as the wind and continues to listen in on conversations near her. She's caught just as off guard as everyone else at the sudden - if loudly announced - assault of Shemp and Toasty.

While the young dragon hasn't exactly been in many battles - okay, none - she figures it can't be too hard to at least help with a few of the smaller ones right? ... right? At least that's what she thinks when she hears the older dragon's advice about using her horns. She's about to charge herself when she sees a peace keeper charge a large gnork, only to bounce harmlessly off of him. Well then, apparently charging isn't the best idea... She gives the dragon a questioning glance, just to ensure he's alright.

"Okay... well, better try I suppose..." she runs up to a nearby gnork, flaming him right in the back.

"Yeah! I did it!" She'll leave the bigger guys to the more experienced dragons, not wanting to test her luck too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Circling in the sky, far, far above the unfolding conflict below, the fiery dragoness watches on with annoyance and disgust as she watches the dragons down below struggling to deal with the gnorks below, and is less than amused when she sees one actually fail to do any damage to perhaps the largest of the gnorks there...

It seems the only remedy to that problem would be her large size hurtling through the sky, aimed straight at the gnork's head in an attempt to take it right off, although any observer may just see a flaming figure rapidly descending from the heavens upon the foe, striking the back of the head of the large gnork, knocking it prone with the force delivered. 

Alraxis wasn't done, though, snarling as she begins slashing up the monster, unaware of the gnorks that are already advancing upon her as she is completely focused on killing the one gnork, rahter than let it live and become another pain in the rear...just like the king of nothing, far to the north.

A shame that Alraxis cannot even hear that there is a dragon trying to warn her in advance that her life is probably in danger.