Fire Emblem Three Houses

12 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Yeet. Poor Dimitri looks like Clive and Fernand's manbaby. 

I also understand the longing for body type diversity. We need more of that too. Im here for buff men and women. Especially buff women. 

Looks like Papa Clive didn't teach his son about drying his hair after he steps out of the shower. I could've swore Dimitri had a mole beneath his lip, but alas, he doesn't.

Buff people are welcome. It's part of the reason why I liked some of Fates' overall character design because a lot of characters had muscle.

2 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

It also would be nice to alleviate some of the memes about a jpop group slaying a great evil, now with facepetting, because that is such an ignorant thing to say.

most of the time it is just a crazy dragon, nothing is truly evil.

maybe it's time to have a serious discussion about mental health in the Fire Emblem Meta, to dramatically reduce the amount of cases concerning "Mad Dragon Disease".

This art looks the most JPOP-ish than the rest. Weirdly enough, I wonder if "same face" problem will be an issue. I'm worried too many characters may look too similar, just in a different outfit/hairstyle. Kozaki had a bit of this problem in Awakening, but really improved in Fates.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I confess that between Mega Man 11 and my FE Switch hype, I'm almost exploding of anxiety.

FE3H is looking pretty good, as far as vibes go at least (since the trailer did not show much). Its worldbuilding is reminding me of FE4, its gameplay heavily reminds me of Radiant Dawn, I really liked the detail in adding redshirts following your units (and formation shenanigans), it looks like they're going for something ambitious and serious this time... which Fates also tried to do, but failed. I'm rather curious about combat arts. The art looks gorgeous imo, I'm glad characters don't look like they're made of clay anymore.

I hope they showcase more about FE3H on Treehouse even if we have to slog through it by watching a terrible player showcasing the game

I feel like I finally have my thoughts together after watching the trailer a million times.

Since the title is "Three Houses" it seems to me like Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude are probably part of noble families within the same kingdom? Maybe they are royalty in different kingdoms, but that's just what it seems like to me.

As for their designs and the art overall so far, I really like it! I think the lack of colour (the mostly black clothing) at least in these three characters is probably purposefully done to make their primary colours stand out (red for Edelgard, blue for Dimitri and Yellow for Claude.) Maybe it's their house colours?

Also, some of those cutscenes looked really choppy and laggy but some of them looked smooth? The 3D exploration of the MyCastle/base area looked really good though!

And this thing definitely looks like some kind of possessed iron maiden:

Spoiler

2018-06-13.thumb.png.7ff889ead0fd099c0fd4fa4ff4825e94.png

Reminds me of The Mouth of Truth showing up in Fates as the Stoneborn. The history nerd in me loves little things like this.

(also Claude looks beautiful and I love him already)

41 minutes ago, nyainou said:

Dimitri's hair looks like a yellow mop. I can't stand it, haha. I laugh a bit every time I see him.

I saw on Twitter that he is Clive and Fernand’s love child. Yikes.

31 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Im not even gonna bother on the rest of your posts on the subject cuz thats a lot to unpack and i doubt eclipse would appreciate a full on discussion about that. So ill narrow it down. Representation matters. Considering how even avatars dont have dark skin options, having a lord be very obviously not white is a pretty big step. Darker skinned people in FE were never lead characters. They were either secondary (Gray, the Khans), villainous (Validar, Aversa, erc), or portrayed as a joke. (Devdan/Danved) So a main character who has very obviously not white features, is hugely story important, and a main lord, is noteworthy. Hes very dark skinned  

Also, if "race doesnt matter" in FE, why not have MORE poc in the series? People being excited about Claude cuz hes so not white, is going to happen. The nation hes from might actually have people who have his level of melanin for all we know 

I was just trying to point that it may not really be the representation you're labeling it as, depending on the designers' intent. I get finding a darker character appealing because it looks more like you,and that's fine, just none of these characters are necessarily meant to reflect real races, which is the impression I was getting when you called him a "PoC". I wouldn't call Edelgard white either, despite being pale. But like I said, I don't really jump to race relation when I see anime characters anyway unless the anime/game is clearly representing real people with it or it's super obvious (like Basilio, where they actually put in pretty blatant black features into him as well.

And I didn't say race doesn't matter, rather that race just isn't not much of a thing in these games, neither for variety nor representation of anyone. They're made by Japanese people, who typically make lighter-skinned characters because that's just what they often like to make. (even most Asians aren't as pale as the typical anime character) So it makes sense why there's not much skin tone variety among FE characters either. That doesn't make them all white, but again, I get what you mean by not having somebody to identify with as much. I definitely agree though that they should have more skin tones for player-created characters to let everyone properly make something that reflects themselves. And I have no issue with more darker characters either, if that's what the devs choose to design.

While I'm still not really impressed with the characters shown so far, he's definitely the most appealing design-wise of the few we got see. (Eldegard really looks like somebody who's been ripped out of a different game, to me)

26 minutes ago, nyainou said:

Dimitri's hair looks like a yellow mop. I can't stand it, haha. I laugh a bit every time I see him.

He looks like somebody dumped a bucket of water on his head. I don't know why they'd chose to make such a weird hairstyle like that for him. At least Claude's looks pretty cool.

5 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

And selfish as this is, I am a bit relieved by the delay since this makes it more likely for Eirika to win CYL 3 in Heroes next year, instead of Edelgard winning via recency bias, but on the other hand I was really looking forward to getting this in time for Christmas :P

TBH I'm also happy because I want Micaiah to win CYL3 and this increases her chances. More importantly, not ready to buy a Switch just yet so less likely to get spoiled if it is released later. 

Not to quibble over details, but does anyone else think that the subtitle "Three Houses" sounds incredibly.... dumb? That sounds mean, and the rest of what was shown looked crazy good, but regardless of their actual content, we had a good thing going on with the naming of Awakening, Fates, even Heroes. Why go for something that sounds so... unexciting?

1 minute ago, aaronarium said:

Not to quibble over details, but does anyone else think that the subtitle "Three Houses" sounds incredibly.... dumb? That sounds mean, and the rest of what was shown looked crazy good, but regardless of their actual content, we had a good thing going on with the naming of Awakening, Fates, even Heroes. Why go for something that sounds so... unexciting?

Yeah. I share this opinion. They at least could've put more into the what the three houses are doing. Something like: "FIRE EMBLEM: ROMANCE OF THE THREE HOUSES" or clash or something. 

By saying "Three Houses" I'm here just saying "Okay, aaand?" Lmao

3 minutes ago, aaronarium said:

The Japanese title is a bit hard to translate (Four Seasons, but the specific kanji references a poem I believe with a deeper meaning. You can read about it here.) Basically, its difficult to express to a western audience, so they probably said "to heck with it!" and came up with something on their own.

16 minutes ago, nyainou said:

The Japanese title is a bit hard to translate (Four Seasons, but the specific kanji references a poem I believe with a deeper meaning. You can read about it here.) Basically, its difficult to express to a western audience, so they probably said "to heck with it!" and came up with something on their own.

It's unfortunate the localized title comes off as so.. bland. That's really nice in Japanese, and it's too bad they couldn't think of any better way to put it. They don't even try to reference the seasons angle with it. I think "Three Kingdoms" might have sounded better, but perhaps they worried people would expect this to be based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms China or something.

Edited by Alkaid

1 hour ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Im not even gonna bother on the rest of your posts on the subject cuz thats a lot to unpack and i doubt eclipse would appreciate a full on discussion about that. So ill narrow it down. Representation matters. Considering how even avatars dont have dark skin options, having a lord be very obviously not white is a pretty big step. Darker skinned people in FE were never lead characters. They were either secondary (Gray, the Khans), villainous (Validar, Aversa, erc), or portrayed as a joke. (Devdan/Danved) So a main character who has very obviously not white features, is hugely story important, and a main lord, is noteworthy. Hes very dark skinned  

Also, if "race doesnt matter" in FE, why not have MORE poc in the series? People being excited about Claude cuz hes so not white, is going to happen. The nation hes from might actually have people who have his level of melanin for all we know  

is it me or does Edelgard look like Daenerys Targaryen with the very whiteish hair and lilac eyes? Can i be getting my A Song of Ice And Fire Emblem at last?

image.jpeg

Even if I know nothing about GoT, that's the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the trailer.  FE meets GoT.  Pretty sure it's not accurate, though.

Ahem. . .

I like Claude because in an otherwise bland world, he's wearing yellow, an earring, a braid, and a smile.  He's refreshing!

2 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

It's unfortunate the localized title comes off as so.. bland. That's really nice in Japanese, and it's too bad they couldn't think of any better way to put it.

If you have any ideas, feel free to air 'em.  Fire Emblem: Seasons reminds me way too much of a certain Zelda title.

Boy...this thread is rather getting toxic I might say.

Guys, it's just a trailer. Let's wait for interviews and stuff like that because it's too early to conclude anything.

Like I said earlier, it looks fine to me so far.

8 minutes ago, eclipse said:

If you have any ideas, feel free to air 'em.  Fire Emblem: Seasons reminds me way too much of a certain Zelda title.

Man, Fire Emblem: Seasons makes me think of Story of Seasons. First FE Farming game, anyone?

Emily in Stardew Valley is already your typical FE Pegasister.

EDIT: And the backdrop of the game is a big war between the Ferngill Republic and the Gotoro Empire, totally sounds like something out of Fire Emblem already.

Edited by Humanoid

2 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I wonder what mangs, blazingknight and mekkah have to say about the trailer...

I imagine Blazingknight will probably have a video expressing his feelings on it soon enough. Not sure about the other two.

5 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Mekkah already discussed his feelings in a video (he dislikes avatars, but can bear a silent one; hopes there isn't too much Fates cringe; kinda dislikes the free roaming aspect and prefers the base from the Tellius games). Mangs is still in Greece with his family

8 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Mekkah already discussed his feelings in a video (he dislikes avatars, but can bear a silent one; hopes there isn't too much Fates cringe; kinda dislikes the free roaming aspect and prefers the base from the Tellius games). Mangs is still in Greece with his family

I feel like there will be waaaaay less Fates cringe. This one seems like it's a bit more tonally consistent.

We got loli dragon, but we didn't get any "Oniiiiiiiiiii/Oneeeeeeee chaaaaaaaaan"s or ludicrous cleavage shots.

Edited by Slumber

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I feel like there will be waaaaay less Fates cringe. This one seems like it's a bit more tonally consistent.

We got loli dragon, but we didn't get any "Oniiiiiiiiiii/Oneeeeeeee chaaaaaaaaan"s or ludicrous cleavage shots.

We didn't get any of that in the first Fates teaser either, so I guess we'll have to wait and see :P

I agree that this one looks a lot less fanservicey so far though.

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

He means as in the mycastle having a cringey stuff. He mentioned that the free roaming mode what looks like a town/castle could be this games' equivalent of the mycastle.

Just now, LorisaGoldfish said:

We didn't get any of that in the first Fates teaser either, so I guess we'll have to wait and see :P

I agree that this one looks a lot less fanservicey so far though.

Ah right, the first one was the Azura dancing, Ryoma/Xander fighting trailer. The next one was where we got all of the stuff Fates became famous for.

That said, no dancing.

1 hour ago, LorisaGoldfish said:

Since the title is "Three Houses" it seems to me like Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude are probably part of noble families within the same kingdom? Maybe they are royalty in different kingdoms, but that's just what it seems like to me.

As for their designs and the art overall so far, I really like it! I think the lack of colour (the mostly black clothing) at least in these three characters is probably purposefully done to make their primary colours stand out (red for Edelgard, blue for Dimitri and Yellow for Claude.) Maybe it's their house colours?

Also, some of those cutscenes looked really choppy and laggy but some of them looked smooth? The 3D exploration of the MyCastle/base area looked really good though!

(also Claude looks beautiful and I love him already)

1. I think they all come from different kingdoms, but I don't think this like Fates. I think they may have a similar goal in mind.

2. That's the impression I got. It's all primary colors.

3. I hope the laggier ones get improved upon. The game still has less than a year to get polished, so there's time to fix it.

4. Agreed. I've said it before and I'll say it again; Claude's a hottie.

22 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Mekkah has a video out, I don't watch blazingknight, and Mangs is on vacation IIRC, so it'll be a while to hear what Mangs thinks of it.

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The tone definitely seems more serious this time, and the character art seems more conservative. If it really was the artist from Uta No Prince-Sama, who I believe is a woman, we probably won't have to worry TOO much about bad female design. We may need to worry about too many flower boys though.

3 hours ago, nyainou said:

I understand what you mean, but it is useful when having conversations about topics such as these.

I don't know, it just feels the exact opposite to preach diversity when you group a bunch of so-called 'colored' individuals together in a term. But hey, what do I know? Who am I to judge the term 'PoC', probably should just stick to playing and discussing about video games.

2 hours ago, Alkaid said:

Going by the artist's previous work, it seems a standard slender male/female body type is going to be pretty common, and anybody like a bulky dude or big-chested girl will be an oddity for them. That said, if IS directs them to draw something I suppose they'll do it, so we may still get some other types of character designs if they're prompted to.

That's exactly what I'm scared about too, I'm not exactly a big fan of the artists' past works as all I've seen from her are pretty idol boys and girls.. but it's not fair to judge her based off just those so I'll probably reserve my judgement 'til more characters get revealed.

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

Bingo.

So far, only had to yell at two people total, out of seventeen pages.  That's impressive, in a good way.

Yeah, I'm really digging the calm and in-depth discussions so far in the thread despite the varied opinions about the new game!

1 hour ago, MU woadie said:

So I went with PoC just to keep things simple.

If this is a response to what I said, I was trying to echo this same notion, just by explaining that characters probably don't think of people as "black/white/hispanic etc" the same way we think of them. Especially since it's from a Japanese developer, who also doesn't have those same concepts. So ultimately having more diverse skin tones isn't something the characters gonna draw attention to with people like Niles/Tobin in previous games, despite them being clearly different in appearance.

You mean Gray right? But yes, I agree with you. I don't think Japan cares about the number of racial, body, orientation or whatever diversity there is to discuss about, they're just designing whatever characters they themselves and their audiences find appealing in mind; and I don't know why people are bringing up real life nationalities for designs especially as cartoon-ish looking as Fire Emblem. They probably chose a darker skin toned character because maybe, just maybe it looks cool? It's probably not as deep and political ya'll think it is.

Of course diversity is great, but I miss the days when people could just relate to characters without needing to look at the complexity of their skin or whatever, and please note that it's insulting to the characters and designers if all you can see is in their work is how underrepresented you think you are, when they are just making a game/character/setting that they love. 

I think Tolvir sums it up pretty well, actually.

1 hour ago, Tolvir said:

Or you know, we just not inject politics into our Japanese Strategy Role Playing Game with mediocre stories, and just enjoy it for what it is. Claude looks Mediterranean to me anyway.