Fire Emblem Three Houses

I'm another that likes the change in artstyle. Kozaki was starting to stale and this one is refreshing to me.

Presentation, I can see where the concerns may come, but the game is several months away and the visuals can change. While I haven't sat down and read the entirety of the topic in 34 pages, I did happen upon posts containing comparisons of games earlier in the development process and I agree. If the visuals still aren't to liking couple months before release, then I'd be more concerned. 

I'd have to see more of the Gameplay before commenting on it. I don't have any real opinion on it either way. Same with characters.  I do admit to enjoying their designs but I've enjoyed a  character design before only to be turned off by their personality.

Overall I'm slightly optimistic (mostly for the story, as it seems more politically focused) but I'm keeping a rein on that optimism.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Aera said:

The only thing that bothers me now is Beyleth's jacket. He cut holes on the arms so his elbows can rest in the jacket when he could just get a cape or wear the entire coat over his armor. 

Byleth's cloak/jacket/weird thing reminds me a lot of the Houppelande, especially the kind wealthy men wore. There's no front part and the sleeves are closed up but it's the closest source of inspiration that I know of. At least I find it visually appealing even though it's not exactly practical. 

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about: http://www.hobbitronics.com/images/mens/houppelandes/houppelande-cape05.jpg

I have to say, I'm really surprised at the high amount of fanart for Byleth x the male lords, especially Claude. Have seen some Dimitri though. Its amazing but its really caught me off guard. Even though he looks greasy and like a mop, I'm kind of hoping we could gay marry Dimitri now, haha. 

2 hours ago, nyainou said:

I have to say, I'm really surprised at the high amount of fanart for Byleth x the male lords, especially Claude. Have seen some Dimitri though. Its amazing but its really caught me off guard. Even though he looks greasy and like a mop, I'm kind of hoping we could gay marry Dimitri now, haha. 

I honestly hope... Edelgard is bisexual while Dimitri is straight and Claude is gay. But I don't think that will happen in this reality. 

4 hours ago, ChickenBits said:

Byleth's cloak/jacket/weird thing reminds me a lot of the Houppelande, especially the kind wealthy men wore. There's no front part and the sleeves are closed up but it's the closest source of inspiration that I know of. At least I find it visually appealing even though it's not exactly practical. 

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about: http://www.hobbitronics.com/images/mens/houppelandes/houppelande-cape05.jpg

THIS LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER OMG. Really wished this was the outcome instead of that... thing.

ok, the site won't let me upload a picture so I will explain where it is, in the trailer in the battle forcast where edelgard attacks for the first time, around the top left of the screen, there is the vantage symbol, could this mean that skills are back in some form.

18 hours ago, nyainou said:

You can thank Heroes for that. The amount of fanart has been multiplied by at least five since its release, and I'm not even kidding.

4 minutes ago, Cysx said:

You can thank Heroes for that. The amount of fanart has been multiplied by at least five since its release, and I'm not even kidding.

I'm surprised but also.. not surprised. Heroes is accessible and has reached an audience of non-Fire Emblem fans. Of course we'd gets lots of newcomers. Still, I'm grateful for it. More gay content for me to gobble up.

2 minutes ago, nyainou said:

I'm surprised but also.. not surprised. Heroes is accessible and has reached an audience of non-Fire Emblem fans. Of course we'd gets lots of newcomers. Still, I'm grateful for it. More gay content for me to gobble up.

Oh myXD

Well, fair enough:)

Omg, just go to the trailer and hear the song (which is awsomne), the beggining is the FE theme but with a darker tone. If  you did not understand it with the trailer, then check out a guy called marioover(I think) and listen his piano cover of the song.

Edited by SuperNova125

Finally got time to post my thoughts and opinions on the trailer.

Pros:

-I really dig the art style. It does seem very Persona-esque, even if it's not the same artist. It's anime enough to bring in the Otaku crowd, yet still subdued enough to not veer into Micaiah levels of facial proportions. 

-I especially like Edelgard's design. Reminds me HEAVILY of Chris Lightfellow from Suikoden 3, which isn't a bad thing. Chris was an awesome character and I made her my Flame Champion in that game. Claude's design is very unique and handsome-looking! Love his darker skin, unique hair, and messy eyebrows. Dmitri is the weakest, but I appreciate them making his hair look stringy/greasy, gives him character whether it was intentional or not

-The armor design for females is great. Both Edelgard and female generics we've seen so far are fully clothed, as anyone should be for battle. reminds me if GBA FE games, where the majority of women were also more properly dressed for war.

-Female Axe Lord and a Bow Lord make me happy.

-Looks like Edel will have good stats from the get go. Hopefully it doesn't taper out too much.

- Going back to mentioning Suikoden, the My Castle exploration feature is look very reminiscent of Suikoden 3 and 5. Which is also a really great thing. I loved visiting and just chatting with characters around my base, and I look forward to doing it in this one to.

-I saw Vantage being displayed on Edel's battle display when attacking Mercedes. I like that they're having skill icons be shown directly a top it.

Cons:

-Weapon durability. Blech. Well, I don't mind it for generic weapons, but I hope they exclude legendary weapons from it and just make them harder to obtain instead.

-Im actually not digging Byleth's clothes design so far. The pinkish white designs on his otherwise dark armor look horrible, the purple on his knife hilt clashes. I do like the sharp features of his face though and his hair style is fine. He has a serious look to him, and his eyes have a mature feel to them. Hoping Fyleth(F!Byleth, assuming he's a MU) looks good too, since Ill be playing female my first play anyway.

-The cutscene animations are horrid. I severely dislike the choppy, janky work of Khara. It looked horrible in Echoes, and it looks horrible here. They should've gotten the people who did Awakening/Fates, or forgo CG animation all together and make 2D cut scenes (and have Ufotable animate them while we're at it.)

- The UI is meh. Hope they make it more stylish later.

- The backgrounds also look rather bland, But it's a good chance that what were were shown were just mock battles/training (which could explain why generics were being shown in place of unique units. Maybe it was training against not Mercedes herself, but her army, and the generics show her portrait to indicate that for training.) if Edel's dialogue before we were shown any gameplay has an correlation, so I'm hoping they'll fix that

Worries:

-I really hope they don't pull a Lyn/Micaiah/Celica with Edel and have her overshadowed by Male Lords. Take a page from history and look at female military leaders like Boudicca, Jeane D'Arc, the Trung Sisters, Nzinga of Ndongo, Fu Hao, Bouboulina, etc etc the list goes on, and have her lead her own army, make her own decisions, and don't let her be held back. Treat her like you treat your male lords.

- I hope the generic models are just placeholders, and not how Unit Leaders with portraits appear. The game is almost a whole year away, so I cant judge so soon, but this is a worry of mine. I did write above in my pros another possibility of why that is as well, and Im hoping that my theory there holds true.

-I hope Seiros really does end up being unjust and evil. Let her be a cruel, religious dictator like Pope Urban II. Don't make her redeemable/actually-a-good-guy-who's-just-possessed just to play straight the pure, motherly holy woman trope.

-Having a dragon final boss is inevitable, but a small part of me is hoping they'll surprise us.

- For the love of god, I hope they don't make Byleth a major/main character. Just let him be another unit in the military. The teacher angle sounds great! Having Byleth guide/teach the Lords about battle for game play and stat/skill building reasons, but not having him/her making decisions for them would be the best case scenario.

-It seems like they're taking heavy inspiration from FE:Warriors. Which is fine, but the one thing I hope they don't copy from that game is the Support conversation backgrounds. They were the most boring looking and ugly supports in the series. The talk sprites looked way too close together and that godawful white border the had going on the top and bottom were horrendous. I'm hoping they do it like the Persona series, with the character portraits being displayed by the text, but the 3D models acting out what's happening in the conversation in the background.

That's all I got off the top of my head. So far I'm definitely liking more than disliking, and Im pretty hyped to see more! 

Edited by Talcinel

44 minutes ago, nyainou said:

@Talcinel, can I just say, I love how you call Edelgard "Edel"? That's so cute! I didn't even consider that. You've just made Edel a bit more endearing to me, haha.

I always give my FE girlfriends cute nicknames ;). Just like my precious GF Mimi(Sumia)

In all seriousness, I just got tired of typing out Edelgard's whole name XD. Edel is short and sweet.

Edited by Talcinel

16 hours ago, Talcinel said:

- For the love of god, I hope they don't make Byleth a major/main character. Just let him be another unit in the military. The teacher angle sounds great! Having Byleth guide/teach the Lords about battle for game play and stat/skill building reasons, but not having him/her making decisions for them would be the best case scenario

This is pretty good! I’m hoping byleth ends up pointing their students in the right direction at least. Not outright making decisions for them. That’s not what a teacher does. They should just show edelgard and co. the right things to do by giving THEM options to choose from, that would be interesting. I can’t wait to see how they handle the role of a teacher now! 

3 hours ago, Novus said:

This is pretty good! I’m hoping byleth ends up pointing their students in the right direction at least. Not outright making decisions for them. That’s not what a teacher does. They should just show edelgard and co. the right things to do by giving THEM options to choose from, that would be interesting. I can’t wait to see how they handle the role of a teacher now! 

at least then robin esque decisions would make sense.

"Well you know what, teacher, I don't give a crap, I am ordering my soldiers to round up the villagers and burn them, and that is final"

fire edgeblem

So I'm probably reading/listening into this way too much, but does anyone else hear some noticeable differences in the VO from the trailer? I'm fairly confident these four lines are all spoken by Edelgard given their general likeness in delivery as well as the subject matter in each feeling shared, but line 1 to me sound a good deal younger and less mature than the others , while 2 & 4 are nearly identical and don't sound as young, but then 3 sounds significantly more mature and older. I would really love for there to be a time skip or rather the story takes place, and is properly shown to occur, over the course of many years with the characters visibly maturing and developing as both the plot and time progresses.

1. "God ahead, give me order. It's time to measure your worth as an Instructor."

2. "Such a brutal, irrational world we live in. Some believe the crests, tokens of the Goddess's power, are necessary to maintain order, but they wrong teacher. The crests are to blame."

3. "Do you dare to walk this path with me? One misstep and we fall to our ruin. So take your first step, it's now or never!"

4. "I will return here someday, my teacher. Promise me, that you won't forget me."

It's probably nothing and just the difference between more serious and impassioned deliveries that are causing the differences, but maybe not. At the very least 1 and 4 sound miles apart, with 1 vs 2/3 also being rather noticeably different, but a bit less so, and then 2/3 vs 4 being a bit less noticeably different than that.

Edited by Enduin

13 minutes ago, Enduin said:

So I'm probably reading/listening into this way too much, but does anyone else hear some noticeable differences in the VO from the trailer? I'm fairly confident these four lines are all spoken by Edelgard given their general likeness in delivery as well as the subject matter in each feeling shared, but line 1 to me sound a good deal younger and less mature than the others , while 2 & 4 are nearly identical and don't sound as young, but then 3 sounds significantly more mature and older. I would really love for there to be a time skip or rather the story takes place, and is properly shown to occur, over the course of many years with the characters visibly maturing and developing as both the plot and time progresses.

1. "God ahead, give me order. It's time to measure your worth as an Instructor."

2. "Such a brutal, irrational world we live in. Some believe the crests, tokens of the Goddess's power, are necessary to maintain order, but they wrong teacher. The crests are to blame."

3. "Do you dare to walk this path with me? One misstep and we fall to our ruin. So take your first step, it's now or never!"

4. "I will return here someday, my teacher. Promise me, that you won't forget me."

It's probably nothing and just the difference between more serious and impassioned deliveries that are causing the differences, but maybe not. At the very least 1 and 4 sound miles apart, with 1 vs 2/3 also being rather noticeably different, but a bit less so, and then 2/3 vs 4 being a bit less noticeably different than that.

Nah I think its just how the VA speaks in tone of the mood.

So, I just read the UK website for Fire Emblem Three Houses. I doubt what I'm saying is anything we didn't already know, but at least the website confirms that the green-haired guy roaming the castle is "your protagonist". Whether that means the almost-certainly-a MyUnit will simply be a Point-of-View character and tactician, or the main character again like Corrin... the website's vague on that. 

In case I misinterpreted something, here's what the website says:

• In some parts, the player can move the main character freely, and interact with other characters and gather information
  • Your protagonist meets three main characters – Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude – who play important roles in the story
Edited by vanguard333

21 minutes ago, MetalAmethyst said:

I found out that the game's being dubbed by Cup of Tea Productions. Am I late to this news?

noo but thank you for sharimg this information.

what i think ...there is no customable avatar...we saw only a male one. i hope they show more information sonn. maybe in 2 months? what do you think?

1 hour ago, MetalAmethyst said:

I found out that the game's being dubbed by Cup of Tea Productions. Am I late to this news?

Went to their website and their portfolio page returned a 404 error. The level of professionalism.. Though, their "projects" page did work(please just settle on one, thanks CoT). Well, they did SoV and Awakening and those were pretty solid in terms of the dub quality. Still, could you please provide a source? Because I haven't heard any of this and of course, it isn't on their projects page.

Will the game be fully voice acted? I wasn't quite sure if they just muted the gameplay where Edelgard asks Byleth what to train, has it been muted, not been added yet, or simply doesn't exist at all.

1 hour ago, nyainou said:

Went to their website and their portfolio page returned a 404 error. The level of professionalism.. Though, their "projects" page did work(please just settle on one, thanks CoT). Well, they did SoV and Awakening and those were pretty solid in terms of the dub quality. Still, could you please provide a source? Because I haven't heard any of this and of course, it isn't on their projects page.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem:_Three_Houses

It's in the trivia section.

I have no problem with an army of Soliel, though diversity is still good.

3 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Will the game be fully voice acted? I wasn't quite sure if they just muted the gameplay where Edelgard asks Byleth what to train, has it been muted, not been added yet, or simply doesn't exist at all.

That's too hard to tell at this point, you have to remember what they showed is still going to be something in a work in progress. Personally if its on the switch, one would hope its fully voiced, but that depends on their budget as well.

As for those who are looking really intensely at the trailer, heed some advice and stop lol. Trailers are just like Anime Openings, they are pretty and eye catching, but you know your not going to see the exact same thing that occurs there in the game itself.

this new formation thing...it reminds me of a old game....kessen 2. you and your comrades had a little group behind you. you can go defense or rush into the enemy and they lose soldiers. If the enemy lose soldiers then they dont do any damage...it was a lot of fun^^ but that was long time ago on ps2 and ot was not turn based. I want to know how they do it on fe 3h!. And the old guy on the trailer..do you think he is maybe a good one? cause he kills red enemys on the trailer^^