Fire Emblem Three Houses

3 minutes ago, Integrity said:

none of this is at all remarkable for the series fandom, 'guest' who has been posting for a solid month

oh I don't disagree with that one bit, it just sneaks up on you when you get used to being around non-assholes is all.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Ottservia said:

I actually out of the 3ds titles awakening does the whole "ad medias res" the best. It starts you off in a dark room. There's another guy charging what looks to be an evil wizard and there are explosions, movement, and stuff is happening. It just kind of throws you into an urgent situation without any real context which in turn starts getting you to ask questions. Then you learn the other guy's name is chrom and this is your final battle against sorcerer man over there who just spouts something about fate before dying. The cut scene that follows is an interesting because for one in just a couple frames of animation you get an idea about the relationship between you and this chrom person where you take a hit for him. This leads to the following you stabbing him in the gut have a lot more impact. The way this scene is structured is to establish a quick friendly relationship with chrom before surprising you like that. The cutscene that follows is another good move because it continues to pile on questions. you hear a couple voices one of which sounds familiar. You open your eyes to the bright sunlight(which contrasts with the previous scenes dark tone) and none other than the face of the man you supposedly just killed. Immediately several questions should be popping into your head. "where am I?" Who is that girl?" "I thought I killed him?" "was that a dream?" "a vision of the future?" "what the hell is that mark on my arm?". Well you gotta play the game to find out. It ropes you in and imo it's effective at doing that 

Yeah FE13  opening was good in my opinion, like I remember while playing FE13 just waiting for my avatar to go crazy and attack Chrom lol ;-; 

Ok I apologize for just deciding to make the letters jumbo sized but I wasn't actually mad or trolling. I wanted to make a point but maybe 48 would have been better instead I guess? Well anyways lol I do know how to take people disagreeing with me, as dumb as that sounds.

On 2019-02-09 at 8:23 PM, Guest Dingo said:

Who here's willing to bet the game will start with another premonition that pointlessly shows a later plot-point out of context for no reason and THEN starts where the story begins.

I agree that they weren't very good:

Awakening's was very abrupt, and it raised a whole lot of questions. While ultimately fairly well-executed, it doesn't really add anything to the narrative; it doesn't set up anything that isn't set up in the prologue or later chapters.
However, one massive point in it's favour is that it is very well-contextualized later on, when it is revealed that the premonition is the result of Future-Grima trying to transfer his soul to Present-Robin; causing Robin's amnesia and his dreams of future events, which are memories that he received as part of the failed transfer. 

With Fates, it's just a complete mess on every narrative level. It presents us with Nohr vs Hoshido, but the prologue and chapters 1-through-5 already establish and build up to that conflict. The fact that it is essentially the conflict in chapter 6 from a perspective where Corrin's fighting for Hoshido already presents a bias in a narrative that's supposed to branch at the version of this moment in chapter 6. And it is poorly contextualized within the overall narrative: the best they give is Corrin waking up in the prologue and saying he had a weird dream. Clearly this is no ordinary dream, as it presents information Corrin does not know at this point. But no explanation is ever given for why he's experiencing this obviously-magic dream. If it's some kind of prophecy, then who's causing it? And why does it present the Hoshido branch?
Fates took an unnecessary but fairly well-executed part of Awakening and completely botched it. Then again, what else is new in that regard? If they wanted to do this in Fates; a far better thing to do would've been to use one of Corrin's suppressed memories as the premonition; thus it foreshadows the seal on his childhood memories beginning to crack while also contextualizing it. This memory could've been either Mikoto fleeing Valla, or Sumeragi trying to escape Garon's trap. 

But seriously; why did these games even need a premonition and a prologue in the first place? Most novel authors and publishers debate whether or not even having a prologue in a story is a good idea. A prologue needs to set up facets of the story distinct from what chapter 1 sets up (i.e. they need two different hooks).

Path of Radiance probably handled it the best in that regard; the prologue opens with a sparring match between Ike and Greil; this not only pulls in the audience that just wants to see fights, but that fight also displays a lot: Greil is training Ike, Ike is nowhere near Greil's level, people on their second playthrough will notice Greil's only using one arm and will know why, we see Ike's determination and recklessness get the better of him (not the last time that that happens), and we have Ike's dream being a memory of his mother as he wakes up to the sound of his sister Mist singing a distinct tune that we later find out was the song their mother would sing to them (and even later find out is the Galdr of Release). We have all this great setup as well as a good introduction to the basic gameplay in Fire Emblem. Furthermore, the fact that Ike is no match against Greil while soundly beating Boyd sets up that Greil is in a very different league from most combatants. 

In chapter 1, the hook is meeting the Greil Mercenaries and seeing a day in the life of the Mercenary Company while seeing Ike getting used to being in the group, while reinforcing the mystery about why Greil is so skilled, with Titania about to make an off-hand remark about it only to stop herself. 

I hope Three Houses learns from what Path of Radiance did right and what Awakening and Fates did wrong. Any premonition or prologue should have context, it should add to the plot, and it should set up different story hooks than chapter 1 does. 

Edited by vanguard333

8 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Fates took an unnecessary but fairly well-executed part of Awakening and completely botched it. Then again, what else is new in that regard?

This just this. agreed 100%

4 hours ago, Ottservia said:

This just this. agreed 100%

Thanks. I always appreciate feedback. 

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that that one quick joke ended up the main takeaway from my huge multi-paragraph dissection of prologues and premonitions in Fire Emblem. 

Edited by vanguard333

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

Thanks. I always appreciate feedback. 

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that that one quick joke ended up the main takeaway from my huge multi-paragraph dissection of prologues. 

Well it wasn't the main take away but it did strike a cord with me. Cause yeah that's exactly what fates is. As for the rest of the post, Twas an eloquent way of breaking things down. Not sure why you included PoR though cause uh that game's opener isn't ad medias res which is what I think the original comment was referring to. Also SoV had that as well which I didn't see you mention but ehh. Don't wanna drag the thread too off topic.

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Well it wasn't the main take away but it did strike a cord with me. Cause yeah that's exactly what fates is. As for the rest of the post, Twas an eloquent way of breaking things down. Not sure why you included PoR though cause uh that game's opener isn't ad medias res which is what I think the original comment was referring to. Also SoV had that as well which I didn't see you mention but ehh. Don't wanna drag the thread too off topic.

Thanks again. 

I wasn't using PoR as an example of ad medias res; I was using it as an example of setting up different hooks in the different opening parts of the story. I was trying to point out how, even though PoR's prologue set up dozens of different important things about the story, there was still room for chapter 1 to have its own hooks. Sorry if that wasn't clear. 

As for SoV… Honestly; I just don't have much to say about its prologue. 

Yeah; we should get back to discussing Three Houses (and so should Nintendo; they've been silent for far too long now). 

I wasn't using PoR as an example of ad medias res; I was using it as an example of setting up different hooks in the different opening parts of the story. I was trying to point out how, even though PoR's prologue set up dozens of different important things about the story, there was still room for chapter 1 to have its own hooks. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

is fine I get it now

Yeah; we should get back to discussing Three Houses (and so should Nintendo; they've been silent for far too long now). 

yeah, then again there isn't much too discuss atm cause y'know nintendo is being really quiet for whatever reason.

7 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

And why does it present the Hoshido branch

Because that's what also happens at first in chapter 5? Without the tutorial fight, but Corrin is still supposed to be fighting the Nohrian invaders at first, because they actually arrive on the battlefield from Hoshido, and the invaders aren't exactly giving them a chance to switch alliegances until the Nohrian siblings appear. That's when they actually get a chance to make a choice. You can still make the argument that the sequence was poorly implemented, but Corrin starts on the Hoshidan side in both the dream and the actual chapter, because they can't just jump across the battlefield to the other side in a heartbeat. Not everything is a conspiracy against poor, maligned Nohr.

9 hours ago, Nanima said:

Because that's what also happens at first in chapter 5? Without the tutorial fight, but Corrin is still supposed to be fighting the Nohrian invaders at first, because they actually arrive on the battlefield from Hoshido, and the invaders aren't exactly giving them a chance to switch alliegances until the Nohrian siblings appear. That's when they actually get a chance to make a choice. You can still make the argument that the sequence was poorly implemented, but Corrin starts on the Hoshidan side in both the dream and the actual chapter, because they can't just jump across the battlefield to the other side in a heartbeat. Not everything is a conspiracy against poor, maligned Nohr.

It's also worthwhile to put them on the Hoshido side in the dream because the player will have a Nohrian bias by starting the game with them (granted, if you bought Birthright, you probably already made that choice).

That said, (unexplained) prophetic dreams are a tired narrative tool and I hope they don't pull that a 4th time.

8 minutes ago, E. Wendall said:

I saw something about the German playlist a couple days ago, I wonder if that's really what it is.  Either the videos are out of order, or it doesn't have the most recent TH trailer, right?

I imagine the accounts outside of us, jp, and uk probably aren't given every video.

so, I just realised that if we are to believe the "leak" about the 13th we should be getting our announcement tomorrow.

I also will say that someone did bring up a good point "13 is your number" could also say 13 days from now.

Edit: oof, I forgot that I had already posted, sorry.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

11 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

so, I just realised that if we are to believe the "leak" about the 13th we should be getting our announcement tomorrow.

I also will say that someone did bring up a good point "13 is your number" could also say 13 days from now.

Edit: oof, I forgot that I had already posted, sorry.

which means that we're either getting a direct announcement tomorrow or early next week. Or worst case scenario these rumors are false and we get nothing

Guest Guest Irene

In regards to the "13 Days" hint. I think that the hint is in regard to either Feb. 13th being the actual direct date or the announcement date for a Feb. 14th direct (Yes, Nintendo's done Valentine's directs before). The reason I believe the direct won't be 13 days from the date the hint was posted (I believe Feb. 8th) is because Nintendo has never done a general direct in the latter half of the month. They ALWAYS do them in the first half. 

These are the possibilities, though I also suppose that the direct could be on March 13th too.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:13 PM, thecrimsonflash said:

I'm just going to call it, if fire emblem does this they will botch it hard.

Well the story is likely. Unless they got a really good writer that actually supervises what they are doing with their writing I can only see another Fates situation occurring because they don't seem to have much experience with that sort of stuff. Setting wise I actually trust IS to do a good job with something like that. They are good at creating interesting worlds, and will get the aesthetic down perfectly in my opinion. Actually fleshing out that world is a different story entirely though...

Onto the current topic though, I really really hope we are getting more information soon. I don't really trust that "leak" much, but (if true) the 13 should mean the date of the direct. I don't think I've ever seen Nintendo do a countdown for a direct before. First time for everything aside, we'll know tomorrow one way or the other.

3 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

Well the story is likely. Unless they got a really good writer that actually supervises what they are doing with their writing I can only see another Fates situation occurring because they don't seem to have much experience with that sort of stuff. Setting wise I actually trust IS to do a good job with something like that. They are good at creating interesting worlds, and will get the aesthetic down perfectly in my opinion. Actually fleshing out that world is a different story entirely though...

Onto the current topic though, I really really hope we are getting more information soon. I don't really trust that "leak" much, but (if true) the 13 should mean the date of the direct. I don't think I've ever seen Nintendo do a countdown for a direct before. First time for everything aside, we'll know tomorrow one way or the other.

"Being able to imagine a world in your head is one thing. Trying to write about it on a paper is a another thing.", as I once heard.

10 hours ago, Guest Guest Irene said:

In regards to the "13 Days" hint. I think that the hint is in regard to either Feb. 13th being the actual direct date or the announcement date for a Feb. 14th direct (Yes, Nintendo's done Valentine's directs before). The reason I believe the direct won't be 13 days from the date the hint was posted (I believe Feb. 8th) is because Nintendo has never done a general direct in the latter half of the month. They ALWAYS do them in the first half. 

These are the possibilities, though I also suppose that the direct could be on March 13th too.

pretty sure nintendo has never skipped january outright before.