Fire Emblem Three Houses

13 minutes ago, ElectiveToast said:

The thing about avatars is that it is possible for them to have an established backstory and still represent the player. The only caveat is that three things must be in place to do this - 

1. The background must be and minimalistic. Nothing grand that would establish too much character. 

2. The avatar’s personality must be a blank slate for the player to work with. 

3. The avatar “speaks” through dialogue choices given to the player, but is otherwise silent. 

Achieving all three qualities would result in a real avatar, and from what we’ve seen Nintendo seems to be going this route. Not once does Byleth speak in either of the two trailers shown. 

Yet he's already being built up to be the super special hero of prophecy and has a set appearance. That isn't "me", no matter how much the game says it is, even if he's silent and has dialogue options.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually writing a main character with depth is too hard apparently, instead we have to have a barely customizable generic given the bare minimum in character and have them say "It's YOU THE PLAYER. See how special you are? YOU are the hero!". Hell if you look closely in the trailer you can see him holding what looks like the game's legendary weapon,.

I have ZERO hope for this game's writing, right off the bat it's doomed to fail because kissing the player's ass is just a mandatory part of the series. I can only hope the rest of the game makes up for it.

1 hour ago, Book Bro said:

Yet he's already being built up to be the super special hero of prophecy and has a set appearance. That isn't "me", no matter how much the game says it is, even if he's silent and has dialogue options.

We don’t precisely know whether or not Byleth is customizable yet, and if he is so what? The Dragonborn is a hero of prophecy, but nobody argues that he isn’t a true avatar. 

39 minutes ago, ElectiveToast said:

We don’t precisely know whether or not Byleth is customizable yet, and if he is so what? The Dragonborn is a hero of prophecy, but nobody argues that he isn’t a true avatar. 

yeah, but the dragonborn has no backstory other that he was trying to cross the border, walked right into that imperial ambush, same as us and that thief over there

meanwhile byleth has a dad and is explained to have been a mercenary before the game starts, so there is a backstory.

Guest This Guy
7 hours ago, Flere210 said:

The nameless one is tge hero of a prophecy, is an avatar, and is arguably the gratest vide game character ever made. But Planescape Torment is cheating.

More games should strive to be as well written as Planescape: Torment.

Which I think is now coming to consoles.

Because I can't decide which house to pick Imma go through all the known units and give my plans for their role gameplay wise.

Black Eagles:
Edel("Canon" Promotion) - assuming she has a canon promotion much like previous lords, going off of Edel's outfit during the Gambit Boost scene, which doesn't really look like any other classes she could be, but if she doesn't have a canon promotion, I guess an Axe Cav Edel would be cool.
Ferdinand(Soldier/Halberdier) - He's got that sort of look, assuming they come back.
Bernadetta(Bow user - either Cav or Flying) - She's definitely being promoted as an archer.
Dorothea(Flying Reason user) - pretty sure that because of the customisable units flying/cav/armour mages will be a lot more common, and Dorothea raining fireballs from above with that little hat on is too fun to ignore.
Petra(Swordmaster) - all day long, her design perfectly suits it, no question here.
Linhardt(Mage Cav) - For the memes.
Caspar(Assassin) - He's got that kinda look about him.
Shady Boi(Armour Mage) - He's got that kinda look about him(Pt 2).

Blue Lions:
Dimitri("Canon" Promotion) - same as Edel, but if not, Halberdier or General could work.
Annette(Pegasus Knight) - she's got an Est vibe.
Mercedes(Flying Faith) - she looks kinda motherly and "I'll take care of you", the flying healer class is one of my favourite concepts.
Sylvain(Halberdier or Lance Cav) - Defo a lance wielder, but Idk what kind would work best.
Ashe(Archer) - If I remember rightly he was shooting a bow in a cutscene but it does suit him.
White Haired Dude(Axe Armour) - He's got that kinda look about him(Pt 3).
Other dude(Swordmaster) - He's got that kinda look about him(Pt 4).
Blonde Girl(Cav) - Idk why, we haven't sen enough of her.

Golden Deer:
Claude("Canon" Promotion) - But if his canon promotion isn't a flying archer, I'm promoting him to that no matter what.
Raphael(Armour) - He's the big bulky armour type, but I kinda wanna make him a Peg Knight for a joke. Brigand could work too.
Leonie(Pegasus Knight) - much like Annette she's got an Est vibe.
Hilda(Faith Magic) - I need my Serra clone.
Glasses Dude(Reason Magic) - He's got that kinda look about him(Pt 5).
Blue haired boy(Swordmaster) - I guess, he's kind of generic IMO.

so looking at some of the footage, I noticed that a good chunk of the cutscenes we have already seen may be in engine, like the bandit being attacked by claude and meeting sothis for the first time where byleth's face is shown outright, the more anime esque cutscenes could be purely promotional.

so maybe the fears of no custom character could be wrong, admittedly I also do see this possibly being confirmation bias on my part.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It's now been over two months since we got our last batch of information with the February direct. We have 101 days to go until the release of the game, so there's still plenty of time for them to give us more info, but it still feels really weird to know so little about the game so far. To be fair, I think Fates had about 77 days between the first trailer and the next, so this isn't exactly unusual.

(I realize that I'm not counting the 5 seconds of trailer footage or the cover reveal, but they don't really tell us anything new about the game.)

52 minutes ago, Calico said:

It's now been over two months since we got our last batch of information with the February direct. We have 101 days to go until the release of the game, so there's still plenty of time for them to give us more info, but it still feels really weird to know so little about the game so far. To be fair, I think Fates had about 77 days between the first trailer and the next, so this isn't exactly unusual.

(I realize that I'm not counting the 5 seconds of trailer footage or the cover reveal, but they don't really tell us anything new about the game.)

Fingers crossed we get something soon, either on April 20th, on the FE Expo in May, or worst case scenario during E3 in June.

4 hours ago, Calico said:

I remember the constant shitstorm that was the days leading up to Fates.  Perhaps IS learned their lesson, and are curtailing the amount of info they'll release before the game's launch.

6 hours ago, Calico said:

Might be hopeful thinking, but with the game releasing in July, it would seem wise to make Three Houses' E3 coverage substantial. Might be part of the reason. And we do have an expo coming up.

1 hour ago, Cysx said:

Might be hopeful thinking, but with the game releasing in July, it would seem wise to make Three Houses' E3 coverage substantial. Might be part of the reason. And we do have an expo coming up.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about FE Expo. That's in less than three weeks! Hopefully there'll at least be a new trailer. By E3 the game should be finished, so maybe there'll even be a demo for people to play?

3 minutes ago, Calico said:

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about FE Expo. That's in less than three weeks! Hopefully there'll at least be a new trailer. By E3 the game should be finished, so maybe there'll even be a demo for people to play?

Yeah, both sound pretty plausible to me. We should hopefully be out of the no-info tunnel fairly soon, at any rate.

16 hours ago, senior firehood said:

if we dont get a direct then is it possible that we getting more information at E3?

The game's release date is July 25, and E3s always happen in either May or June, so it's certainly possible, though it would be rather close to the release date.

9 hours ago, Timlugia said:

E3 this years is on June 11th. Maybe we will get a trailer with Expo, then final trailer on E3. (Trailer on E3 is pretty certain one)

When is the expo again? Is it not in about a week's time?

Yeah, the expo's this coming Saturday. It's just running a single day, so for those of us in the states I'd be expecting info to be out by early Saturday morning. As for news itself, I expect it to be running all the way to release like previous games. The game should be playable at E3 by this point, or Nintendo could hold a press event for their summer releases and Mario Maker 2 that'll get us some preview impressions.

I'm hoping we get a serious story trailer or the like at the Expo, something to build the hype ahead of E3 where they can spend more time showing off actual gameplay and mechanics and probably a show floor demo for attendees, but wouldn't be surprised if all we got was a teaser. 

What would really be awesome is if they had the likely demo for E3 at the Expo for the JP fans to get hands-on time with, but being a single day event and not really knowing what exactly the format is that's probably very unlikely.

It's about time we got more of a hook for the story itself, everything's been focused on the very start of the game so far. Mechanics-wise, I think we're due for an explanation on Gambits and formations, if we're not getting more of that at the Expo I'm expecting the next Famitsu to be about it. Thankfully I think we've about exhausted everything we can learn about stuff we've seen since the original reveal trailer save formations, it's time to move onto more of the unknown.