Fire Emblem Three Houses

Just now, Book Bro said:

I really wonder if that manakete/loli at the end looking so much like Tiki is a coincidence or what. This doesn't sound or look like Archanea but if that isn't Tiki then that's an awfully close case of copy paste.

I also hope they change the final name. It needs something else to give it more flavour. Three Houses of Seasons or something? 

Some people think it might be Naga, but I see Y!Tiki as well.

I wish they had just localized the name as FE: Four Seasons or something that had more to do with the lore behind the name. Three Houses sounds odd, and immediately made me think of the localization group.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I really wonder if that manakete/loli at the end looking so much like Tiki is a coincidence or what. This doesn't sound or look like Archanea but if that isn't Tiki then that's an awfully close case of copy paste.

I also hope they change the final name. It needs something else to give it more flavour. Three Houses of Seasons or something? 

after having watched the trailer about 4 times trying to know if I like it or hate it (the answer is I still can't tell, so many elements clashing it hurts to think about it), I am pretty sure it is a coincidence, her hair is different, and she could also be mistaken for nowi, her hair color is a difficult guess as well due to the lighting, but it looks brighter than tiki's to me.

3 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

The mooks.  I am shocked people are complaining about this, cause this is the best part of the trailer.  Formations which likely have advantage/disadvantage based on enemy type and formation, just adds so much depth.  Besides simple battle bonuses it may allow to alter your character's positioning along with its troops, perhaps you can even split a character's troop to flank the enemy while some of them engage from the front.  It just opens up so much and can really revolutionize the Fire emblem formula.  It also adds much needed scale.  When controlling various princes/kings it is silly that they are a little band of 20-30 units, fighting off other nations armies and such.  The battles here look much more like what large scale war would be. 

We can't know to what extent they'll execute this idea in the final game, so I wouldn't speculate too heavily yet. Of course it sounds good if we imprint our hypothetical ideas onto it beforehand. I think it could be cool but I'll wait to see more info about how it really does work. I just hope they don't try to make it TOO complex, since I appreciate the relative simplicity in FE battles. I think most of the complaints have been about how the visuals of it though, like the soldiers are just copy-pasted low-quality models for what we got to see. Hopefully they'll polish that stuff up for the final product, but I don't want to set expectations too high.

Personally I find the scale to be a bit awkward, as it seems too few soldiers to really give that scale of armies clashing for me. I wouldn't expect them to give us Total War-like numbers, but it makes me wish they'd have cranked the number up a bit more.

I've got mixed feelings about the reveal. On one hand, I'm super hyped. Its a new main FE game, after all, and since its on a console I hope it'll be bigger/grander than the 3DS ones, more like PoR and RD. I'm happy to see durability return, as I liked having it in the older games, but they'd better make legendary things unbreakable. Also, given all the shots we have of the MU/instructor dude and only of one version of him, I think that he will be more of a standard character rather than a true Avatar like in Fates and Awakening. Wouldn't they at least have shown a single shot of a female version if he were to be an Avatar?

On the other hand, though, I really don't think I'm going to like the emphasis on having mooks everywhere in battle. It just doesn't feel right. Sure, it'll be good for the large-scale, all-out battles that are supposed to occur when fighting the enemy's main army, but what about the rest of the time? Not every battle will be canonically fought between 300 to 500 troops (since every unit seems to have at least 10-15 surrounding them, you'll be fielding at least 10, and the enemy at least 30), and from what it sounds like with the emphasis on formations as a mechanic, it doesn't sound like they'll be able to be removed for plot really. Furthermore, you can't just have anyone leading a squad; they have to have some leadership potential, and it has to fit with their role. Volke and Jaffar can't exactly run around doing what they do best with 15 people alongside them, and if you were a mook would you really want to be in a squad with your leader as someone like Peri or Nino? I personally would much rather have it be like the other FE games with single units. If they want to show off their amazing mook graphics, just show them in the background of fight scenes when appropriate.

And now for the general comments:

"Fire Emblem: Three Houses". Couldn't you at least try to be interesting? Sure, we have stereotypical titles like "Blazing Sword", "Sacred Stones", and "Fates", but at least they sound vaguely cool. "Three Houses" is probably not an inaccurate title, but it just bores the hell out of me even more than something like "Crests of the Goddess" or something equally basic RPG sounding.

0:38 "It's time to measure your worth as an instructor" -> Uses axe against a sword dude. (sure, they might not have a weapon triangle here from the looks of things, but I still found that silly upon first viewing)

1:46 1) We have robots, I guess. 2) That's a really big room for medieval standards, since the bot is at least 2x times a human male's height, and the room utterly dwarfs it.

1:56 1) "I will return here someday, my teacher. Promise me, that you won't forget me". Either MU isn't actually her teacher, or we might get a lord swap? Since Edelgard is clearly going away from her teacher for a while. 2) Yay, lolis recruitable manaketes/goddesses (since she looks rather like the "Mother" goddess figure seen in the mural and on the first battlefield cinematic)

Me: "Well fortunately, there's no sign of children units yet. Aaand, I probably just jinxed it, didn't I?"

I really don't like all the mooks/foot soldiers as well. Its crowded and noisy in my opinion. I don't care about fighting wars or the realism of battle to be honest; I enjoyed managing many different distinct units, regardless of how ""unrealistic"" it was to have, say, 26 soldiers fighting and winning a war. I'm open to this change, but I don't like it at all.

3 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Thanks. I had to enhance the brightness on my computer, but I saw that blue tartan pattern, and how cool is it that those berserkers are wearing that pattern on an article of clothing that looks suspiciously like a kilt!

I hope that those guys aren't actually of the berserker class, because of that name's Norse roots. Maybe instead if they call it something like Tartan Raider? I don't know. I think I would have preferred if these kilt-wearing tough guys were warriors, rather than seemingly-shirtless almost-certainly berserkers. 

My Scottish roots call me to do the same. I'm hoping that there is some nuance to them: they aren't an evil kingdom, but they are the most blunt and straightforward one in how they talk and how they deal with issues.

hopefully they manage to treat em with some nuance yeah. Hell, I'd be pleasantly surprised if they just werent the big bads of the game. Also the one bearded guy we see in the trailer does wield a sword so they might not all be berserkers (actually as far as I can tell we might have a few new classes in this game which would be interesting. that or dismounting's returned).

2 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

We can't know to what extent they'll execute this idea in the final game, so I wouldn't speculate too heavily yet. Of course it sounds good if we imprint our hypothetical ideas onto it beforehand. I think it could be cool but I'll wait to see more info about how it really does work. I just hope they don't try to make it TOO complex, since I appreciate the relative simplicity in FE battles. I think most of the complaints have been about how the visuals of it though, like the soldiers are just copy-pasted low-quality models for what we got to see. Hopefully they'll polish that stuff up for the final product, but I don't want to set expectations too high.

Personally I find the scale to be a bit awkward, as it seems too few soldiers to really give that scale of armies clashing for me. I wouldn't expect them to give us Total War-like numbers, but it makes me wish they'd have cranked the number up a bit more.

tbf, we only ever saw it in the context of a handful of units (about ten in both players and enemies) at a time, i suspect that once ya get to the later game when player armies reach about 16 units at a time and enemy armies can reach upwards of fifty units at a time it will look a lot bigger.

5 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

Yeah we don't know other than formations exist, how everything will work.  I think the thing about all of unit type looking the same to be expected though, it would be too much work and game likely couldn't handle every single soilder unit having a different face and body/build.  I think what might be better is as some suggested, helmets, and for magic characters maybe cloaks/hoods...something that covers the face.  

Well Total War is huge, I think they will crank up the numbers as much as they can without causing slowdowns and such.  I am hoping the game gets more depth than previous games but I do want battles to move fast as well.

Oh other thought on the manaketes.  Maybe the adult manakete is embracing that sword so tenderly cause she is Tiki grown up and that is the Falchion that Marth wielded so long ago.  The child manakete might then be her daughter or perhaps a flashback of her thinking to her early days.  

15 minutes ago, NobodiePichu said:

hopefully they manage to treat em with some nuance yeah. Hell, I'd be pleasantly surprised if they just werent the big bads of the game. Also the one bearded guy we see in the trailer does wield a sword so they might not all be berserkers (actually as far as I can tell we might have a few new classes in this game which would be interesting. that or dismounting's returned).

Here's hoping. Speaking of Scots, how cool would it be if one of the swords in the game (maybe the steel sword) looked like a claymore? 

By the way, something I just noticed that helps with my Fergus = Scottish region theory: the Fergus coat-of-arms is a person on top of what I first guessed to be a Pegasus, but then I noticed that it lacks wings, suggesting that it is in fact a unicorn: the national animal of Scotland.

Anyway, I don't know if this is just the Shadiversity-fan/history-nut in me noticing this, but the castle in the trailer is impressively detailed: it sits at the top of a hill, which is ideal defensively. It takes up the entirety of the top of the hill; using all the space provided. It also has round towers, turrets on each side of the main gate, and vaulted ceilings. Very impressive level of detail. However, if I wanted to nitpick, I would point out that there doesn't seem to be any way to fire down on an enemy that's managed to reach the portcullis. 

9 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Oh other thought on the manaketes.  Maybe the adult manakete is embracing that sword so tenderly cause she is Tiki grown up and that is the Falchion that Marth wielded so long ago.  The child manakete might then be her daughter or perhaps a flashback of her thinking to her early days.  

Except she doesn't really look like Tiki apart from being a green-haired female manakete (and there have been a number of those), that ruined sword looks nothing like the falchion, and that ruined sword is visually identical to the whip-sword that the old guy in the trailer uses (as I noticed and pointed out some time ago). 

The child manakete being the adult manakete's daughter could be interesting, but I would be pleasantly surprised if their relation was something else, like sisters, or maybe even being one and the same person after a timeskip of some sort.

Edited by vanguard333

7 minutes ago, NobodiePichu said:

tbf, we only ever saw it in the context of a handful of units (about ten in both players and enemies) at a time, i suspect that once ya get to the later game when player armies reach about 16 units at a time and enemy armies can reach upwards of fifty units at a time it will look a lot bigger.

True, though I'd still say a few more soldiers per unit would make the scale look a bit nicer. It just looks a bit sparse to me as-is.

3 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Yeah we don't know other than formations exist, how everything will work.  I think the thing about all of unit type looking the same to be expected though, it would be too much work and game likely couldn't handle every single soilder unit having a different face and body/build.  I think what might be better is as some suggested, helmets, and for magic characters maybe cloaks/hoods...something that covers the face.  

Well Total War is huge, I think they will crank up the numbers as much as they can without causing slowdowns and such.  I am hoping the game gets more depth than previous games but I do want battles to move fast as well.

Yeah, I'm not comparing the scale to Total War's exactly, just I think the unit sizes we saw could use a bit of a bump to hit a better balance for scale, in my opinion. I think they're just a little too spread thin as it is. As for looking the same, they maybe could do what Total War does in that case, which is have a couple different armor/detail variations and then spread them out throughout the unit. Maybe just 3-4 types, but it makes a world of a difference even in the big 100-120 model size units in those games. It's simple but really helps with the detail. Just any variation other than the exact same model repeated would be nice to see.

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

Here's hoping. Speaking of Scots, how cool would it be if one of the swords in the game (maybe the steel sword) looked like a claymore? 

Anyway, I don't know if this is just the Shadiversity-fan/history-nut in me noticing this, but the castle in the trailer is impressively detailed: it sits at the top of a hill, which is ideal defensively. It takes up the entirety of the top of the hill; using all the space provided. It also has round towers, turrets on each side of the main gate, and vaulted ceilings. Very impressive level of detail. However, if I wanted to nitpick, I would point out that there doesn't seem to be any way to fire down on an enemy that's managed to reach the portcullis. 

I'd be all up for any of the heavier sword looking like a claymore. hell, the armourslayer as a claymore would look hella radd, or even a legendary claymore.

as for the castles level of detail. its not surprising since they would have accesses to a lot of reference work for European castles. They are pretty much all over europe after all. still, im more interested in the inner workings of the castle and what we can explore of it personally.

2 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

True, though I'd still say a few more soldiers per unit would make the scale look a bit nicer. It just looks a bit sparse to me as-is.

hmm... yeah I can see that. maybe they increase in number the stronger your unit gets, but thats pure speculation and if its not the case then yeah a few extra spares lying around wouldnt hurt.

10 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Corrin's female look wasn't shown off in Fates' reveal trailer.

This, plus the trailer emphasizes "you" as very important "as the the main character the player (cont)".

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

11 minutes ago, NobodiePichu said:

I'd be all up for any of the heavier sword looking like a claymore. hell, the armourslayer as a claymore would look hella radd, or even a legendary claymore.

Agreed. That could be awesome. Though, rather than anti-armour, I think I would prefer to see the claymore as an anti-cavalry sword, since that, if I'm not mistaken, is how it was used historically. A legendary claymore though would be incredible.

Anyway, I found some more things leading credence to our Scots kingdom theory. I already mentioned the Fergus coat-of-arms in an edit of my previous post. One more thing I noticed: at about 0:24, one can see the sword-wielding guy in spiked armour and with the horned helmet. A ceremonial horned helmet did actually exist among the Ancient Celts, though the horns were the same metal as the helmet, but, more to the point, his cape is a red and white tartan pattern as well.

I'm not much of a fan of the spiked armour though; I'm hoping it's just the cinematic, and it at least gets toned down for the actual in-game classes.

Edited by vanguard333

14 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Corrin's female look wasn't shown off in Fates' reveal trailer.

Oh, was she not? Huh, must've misremembered that. But still, when compared to something like Awakening, which explicitly avoids showing Robin's gender by hiding their face under a hood and iirc just being unclear about their chest for the opening clip and stuff like that, the blatant showing off of the teacher (who's evidently named Byleth, thanks VincentASM for your analysis) makes me unsure. Then again, they do always refer to them in the voicing as "teacher", which is gender neutral, so I might just be wrong.

Edited by alatartheblue42

51 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Call it what you like, but I've been a fan since Blazing Sword and Shadow Dragon is the only game that really rubbed me the wrong way for its art style. I'm an individual, not a collective with the same opinion as everyone else in the fandom.

Sorry; I'm just personally a bit tired of art style complaints every time something new happens.

In my opinion, I just think the art looks flat. And it's not even the art style itself. The art style is nice to me. It's more so the renders looking a bit flat. Hopefully, when the final game releases, they'll have added more detail or texture to the models.

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Agreed. That could be awesome. Though I think I would prefer to see the claymore as an anti-cavalry sword, since that, if I'm not mistaken, is how it was used historically. 

Anyway, I found some more things leading credence to our Scots kingdom theory. I already mentioned the Fergus coat-of-arms in an edit of my previous post. One more thing I noticed: at about 0:24, one can see the sword-wielding guy in spiked armour and with the horned helmet. A ceremonial horned helmet did actually exist among the Ancient Celts, though the horns were the same metal as the helmet, but, more to the point, his cape is a red and white tartan pattern as well.

it was anti cavalry and armor sword as i remember but im probably wrong on that.

anyways, in the trailer that looks about right yeah. and considering the other guys have a definitive knight sortta theme maybe were looking at a conflict taking notes form england and scotlands historical conflicts? or atleast looking at an english inspired and a scottish inspired nation...

4 minutes ago, alatartheblue42 said:

Oh, was she not? Huh, must've misremembered that. But still, when compared to something like Awakening, which explicitly avoids showing Robin's gender by hiding their face under a hood and iirc just being unclear about their chest for the opening clip and stuff like that, the blatant showing off of the teacher (who's evidently named Byleth, thanks VincentASM for your analysis) makes me unsure. Then again, they do always refer to them in the voicing as "teacher", which is gender neutral, so I might just be wrong.

That was only in the animated cutscenes though. Byleth never shows his face in an animated cutscene so he could still be an Avatar. Also, if he wasn't one it would be weird to hear them call him teacher all the time instead of his actual name.

9 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Sorry; I'm just personally a bit tired of art style complaints every time something new happens.

I wouldn't really call it 'complaining', it's more critiquing and expressing opinions on the new art style which is bound to happen. It's been pretty civil most of the time in this thread.

2 minutes ago, NobodiePichu said:

it was anti cavalry and armor sword as I remember but I'm probably wrong on that.

If you're right about claymores, then perhaps it could be Fergus' version of an FE rapier?

4 minutes ago, NobodiePichu said:

anyways, in the trailer that looks about right yeah. and considering the other guys have a definitive knight sortta theme maybe were looking at a conflict taking notes form England and Scotland's historical conflicts? or atleast looking at an English inspired and a Scottish inspired nation...

That sounds cool. Incidentally, I wonder if anyone from Fergus will yell, "Freedom!" as part of their critical hit...

Braveheart jokes aside (and probably best left aside, given how inaccurate that film was), that just leaves one question: who is it that's at war with the tartan guys in the trailers? I wonder who it is...

17 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Considering the huge diversity of tastes and preferences on this forum its no shock the reaction to this trailer can be so varied.

Personally, I think the art style looks fine. However, I'm very easy to please so me being ok with the artstyle isn't saying much. It looks pretty, what more do I need?

Edited by wissenschaft

2 hours ago, Alkaid said:

Do you think so? I was seeing him as just a darker toned character like Gray, so I'm not sure if he's intended to be a black character. Not that I care which he is, bit his design seems rather ambiguous at best.

Well, even if IS intends for it to be a "Person of Color" in the context of -Race as we understand it in the 21st century-, the characters in FE:TH probably have wildly different understandings as to what skin color means to peoples identities. As would probably be the case for every fictional fantasy setting. So even if Claude for us is equivalent to Black or Latino or what have you, in game they'll probably just refer to his heritage as his Nation or Territory of origin (Reganian?) if they make note of him being "different" at all.

It's just nice to have people that look like us, since it allows a wider array of people to immerse themselves in gameplay.

Edited by MU woadie

3 minutes ago, thanny said:

I wouldn't really call it 'complaining', it's more critiquing and expressing opinions on the new art style which is bound to happen. It's been pretty civil most of the time in this thread.

Bingo.

So far, only had to yell at two people total, out of seventeen pages.  That's impressive, in a good way.

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

That sounds cool. Incidentally, I wonder if anyone from Fergus will yell, "Freedom!" as part of their critical hit...

Braveheart jokes aside (and probably best left aside, given how inaccurate that film was), that just leaves one question: who is it that's at war with the tartan guys in the trailers? I wonder who it is...

. . .okay, three people. :P:

I'm not sure why the text in your posts randomly changes color.  I'm on Night Forest, and it's a bit disconcerting.

Text colors aside, I hope those tartan guys aren't the early-game brigands or something like that.  Would be a waste IMO!

5 minutes ago, wissenschaft said:

Considering the huge diversity of tastes and preferences on this forum its no shock the reaction to this trailer can be so varied.

Personally, I think the art style looks fine. However, I'm very easy to please so me being ok with the artstyle isn't saying much. It looks pretty, what more do I need?

Same its so Persona-like love that series artstyle so I'm loving the similarity here!

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'm not sure why the text in your posts randomly changes color.  I'm on Night Forest, and it's a bit disconcerting.

Text colors aside, I hope those tartan guys aren't the early-game brigands or something like that.  Would be a waste IMO!

What are you talking about? Changing text colours (and by the way, this is the correct spelling of colour)

Yes, it would very much be a waste. I've been waiting for a kingdom of Scots in an FE game for some time now!