Fire Emblem Three Houses

FINALLY MORE NEWS!!

The long wait is now over. I am so excited for this direct as 3Houses will finally get some new info. I expect them to show not just a trailer like last time but go into more detail. Stuff like gameplay mechanics, the premise of the story, some characters and a release date might be there. 

Something else I would like for the direct that doesn't have to do with FE is the new Pokémon but I won't get my hopes up.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest Irene

Very excited for this direct and the showing of Three Houses. I expect this game to be a multimillion seller beyond even what Awakening and Fates sold. The Switch is selling software like crazy. Thus, the hype cycle for my and so many others (on this site) most anticipated game of the year finally begins. <3 

18 hours ago, BZL8 said:

"Being able to imagine a world in your head is one thing. Trying to write about it on a paper is a another thing.", as I once heard.

I just wanted to say I love this quote.

10 hours ago, Serea-chan said:

It's happening!

Finally! That 3H's is being highlighted means everyone should get a glimpse of something they really want to see. Hopefully it causes people (myself included) to be less pessimistic about it.

40 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

They had to do a big blowout since the game is supposedly coming out in the next three months. Still, I'm so glad our little franchise is now headlining a full Direct! :')

There's definitely gonna be a big blowout for it! I'm so happy its headlining the direct too I had to check twice!

After seeing the direct, here are my thoughts.

1. Three Houses representing three different nations, monastery, officer's academy. So, your not just being called a teacher, you are the teacher! At an academy, where you teach students (units) to battle with. Go on...

2. You choose one of the three houses in the academy, and the students become your personal units to use in battle. Limited, but sure!

3. The girl from the last trailer (the one sleeping on a throne) is named Sothis, and has some kind of mind-link connection, thingy. Okay, but is she a manakete? I'm betting she is, because of the pointy ears.

4. There are fist weapons now?! YES!!!

5. So, you can earn money by having your students train with other students? Are there other methods of monetary gain?

6. Is there a Casual mode. I assume there is one.

7. The teacher's father is a mercenary named Jeralt. And they're another avatar character? (btw, female version's kinda cute though)

8. Leonie's... pretty cute! As are some of the other character designs (some, not all). It'll take a lot to replace Scarlet for me, though.

9. Promotions involve giving characters assignments? Guess that's to be expected; you are the teacher after all.

10. There seems to be a day/night cycle. Hopefully your given all the time you need for preparations.

Overall, I'm super hyped for this game! I can't to see more information about this in the future!

Edited by MetalAmethyst

The fact that we're bringing My Unit back complete with "YOU THE PLAYER" talk from the narrator has me apprehensive about the story buuuuuut everything else has me excited to see what comes next.

Today was a good day.

I really hope there aren't three paths so Nintendo can sell you each separately a la Fates style. Here are 30 dollars per path. I don't think it is from what was shown but Fates marketing has me concerned. 

Edited by grinus

Atleast Dimitri looks interesting as a character.

I knew that green haired guy was just as bland as he was in the early trailer so of COURSE he had to be the avatar. Atleast he looks cool....

So from the looks of it, its trying to be doing something like FE7/FE8/FE14 where depending on what you select will have different chapters and plot( I'm only guessing because they tell you can only choose one of the houses) 

If they are going to do it like in Fates where none of your choices matter and the other side just trolls at you just for the fun of it, IS needs to get back Ken Yokoyama until they figure out how to write a GOOD story. Yeah Conquest is the best FE game as of now but the plot is seriously messed up no matter how hard you look at it. Then again, knowing Nintendo rarely writes stories with strong plot these days, I'm used to it. Whoever is writing the plot for this game better do it right.

If it ends up being something like FE7/FE8 where depending on who you choose, you get exclusive chapters and still has very little difference in plot, I'm sold because it adds replayability to the overall game without trolling you that you have yet to get the best ending.. 

As for gameplay...they didn't explain enough of what you can do in the game and what new features are added. It looks like marriage is absent here unless I'm wrong because there's no footage of it.

There's also very little seen in the battlefield. Missed opportunity for seeing the map design and movement taking place. I'm only guessing that more will be shown at the Treehouse live event? 

And yet, I know for a fact that it'll turn out as a solid game. I mean it has to given its Intelligent Systems doing the IP they know best. Can't really think of an FE game that's near abysmal. So I'll get it knowing it'll be a great game to play in the end.

I dunno if this has been brought up yet but the direct pretty much confirmed 3H has full voice acting, I heard Edelgard speak her lines with the rest of the Black Eagles and Ashe during his support with the blonde girl, and I'm almost positive Bernadetta had a voiced quote when she was selected on the map.

4 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/software/feature/otome.html

Nintendo has added an Otome section to their Japanese site. I'll be shocked if 3 houses will be there.

Yeah this game is going to have its own category. The Otomer/Harem genre of games on the Switch! (:P)

I think that is just because the Switch is being touted as the next Vita in terms of visual novels. It already has a couple in the eshop anyway.

3 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I dunno if this has been brought up yet but the direct pretty much confirmed 3H has full voice acting, I heard Edelgard speak her lines with the rest of the Black Eagles and Ashe during his support with the blonde girl, and I'm almost positive Bernadetta had a voiced quote when she was selected on the map.

I hope so! It really brought a lot of life to the characters in the game.

I just realised that if the character customisation in 3H is exclusively sex, it means that we have reached the end of the line for avatar characters, new mystery allowed you to select your class and had a ton of options, awakening had fewer options overall including a set class and gave you build options, fates removed the build and made corrin's class a more integral aspect to his character by giving him a special weapon and genetics which influenced his abilities and now here we have 3H which only lets us change the character's sex and will have this character be even more even more of a character than ever.

isn't that funny, I fully expect for the next game to just create an incredibly generic character (male obviously to cater to the largest part of the fanbase), with no options and just say to the player "that's you", please just stop with the avatars if you are just going to give me a character and say that it is me without as much as letting me pick my hair.

45 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I just realised that if the character customisation in 3H is exclusively sex, it means that we have reached the end of the line for avatar characters, new mystery allowed you to select your class and had a ton of options, awakening had fewer options overall including a set class and gave you build options, fates removed the build and made corrin's class a more integral aspect to his character by giving him a special weapon and genetics which influenced his abilities and now here we have 3H which only lets us change the character's sex and will have this character be even more even more of a character than ever.

isn't that funny, I fully expect for the next game to just create an incredibly generic character (male obviously to cater to the largest part of the fanbase), with no options and just say to the player "that's you", please just stop with the avatars if you are just going to give me a character and say that it is me without as much as letting me pick my hair.

The lack of character customisation for Byleth is the game's way of implementing the avatar into the game's cutscenes without having to make tons of different versions of the same scene with the avatar's differing looks.

44 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

The lack of character customisation for Byleth is the game's way of implementing the avatar into the game's cutscenes without having to make tons of different versions of the same scene with the avatar's differing looks.

I know why this is the case, but it begs the question of why even bother calling this character "me" when I now have even less connection to this avatar, IS has reached the apex of how not to make an avatar by virtue of completely invalidating its own existence as now it is even less effective of a conduit for the player to imprint themselves onto it, there is also the matter of corrin and robin, both of whom were in pre rendered cutscenes, corrin's face was obscured in all cases and first person was very common, same for robin who also had a hood to fall back on. the only reason why is because IS wants to have their cake and eat it too, they want to cater to the sad otaku by giving him his power fantasy, but also don't want to create a truly faceless character who exists only to imprint on, in the end this is the worst case, because not going all in on one or the other only dissatisfies everyone, either give me a faceless custom unit that can be whatever I want it to be, or just don't even bother and give me a traditional lord character.

4 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I know why this is the case, but it begs the question of why even bother calling this character "me" when I now have even less connection to this avatar, IS has reached the apex of how not to make an avatar by virtue of completely invalidating its own existence as now it is even less effective of a conduit for the player to imprint themselves onto it, there is also the matter of corrin and robin, both of whom were in pre rendered cutscenes, corrin's face was obscured in all cases and first person was very common, same for robin who also had a hood to fall back on. the only reason why is because IS wants to have their cake and eat it too, they want to cater to the sad otaku by giving him his power fantasy, but also don't want to create a truly faceless character who exists only to imprint on, in the end this is the worst case, because not going all in on one or the other only dissatisfies everyone, either give me a faceless custom unit that can be whatever I want it to be, or just don't even bother and give me a traditional lord character.

This is exactly the point I tried to make in the reaction thread. If there has to be an avatars, fine, so be it, I don't see the appeal but whatever. But make it an actual avatar.

Corrin and Byleth (and imo also Robin) are established characters with (at least from what I can  gather) fully established personalities, backgrounds, etc. They in no way stand in for the player because they're very specific characters. It's like if they'd marketed SoV as "in this remake, YOU are now part of the story" because now you can choose which lord you start with and edit Alm or Celica's hairstyle slightly and change their name. 

Either have an avatar who isn't the focus of the whole game and can actually be a blank slate (like Mark or to an extent Kris), or don't have one.

I can't for the game to come out. I feel like the main character is going to be dlc in ssbu and two of male alts are going to be Claude and Dimitri and since it is an avatar, the female is going to have an Eldegard (Sorry for botching the name.). I really want this game but I don't have a switch nor am I going to get one unless it's with my own money. 

5 hours ago, Book Bro said:

This is exactly the point I tried to make in the reaction thread. If there has to be an avatars, fine, so be it, I don't see the appeal but whatever. But make it an actual avatar.

Corrin and Byleth (and imo also Robin) are established characters with (at least from what I can  gather) fully established personalities, backgrounds, etc. They in no way stand in for the player because they're very specific characters. It's like if they'd marketed SoV as "in this remake, YOU are now part of the story" because now you can choose which lord you start with and edit Alm or Celica's hairstyle slightly and change their name. 

Either have an avatar who isn't the focus of the whole game and can actually be a blank slate (like Mark or to an extent Kris), or don't have one.

The thing about avatars is that it is possible for them to have an established backstory and still represent the player. The only caveat is that three things must be in place to do this - 

1. The background must be and minimalistic. Nothing grand that would establish too much character. 

2. The avatar’s personality must be a blank slate for the player to work with. 

3. The avatar “speaks” through dialogue choices given to the player, but is otherwise silent. 

Achieving all three qualities would result in a real avatar, and from what we’ve seen Nintendo seems to be going this route. Not once does Byleth speak in either of the two trailers shown.