The world map (also looking for help reading the text)

So the first thing we saw in the trailer was a world map (presumably of Fódlan yay, we got a continent with a name again!) with a bunch of fancy text.

F%C3%B3dlanmap.png

Funnily enough, I'm finding the fancy text--despite being English--kinda hard to read. Besides the really obvious ones like Adrastea and Leicester. Anyone want to take a stab at identifying the names?

I can also see Rusalka, Brionac, Charon, Aegir(?). Basically very fantasy-esque names.

I didn't pay attention but that's hard to read.

I'm pretty sure the main Kingdom are : Heryus or Heryub, Adractea, Borg Mac and Meicostor.

2 minutes ago, Ycine said:

I didn't pay attention but that's hard to read.

I'm pretty sure the main Kingdom are : Heryus or Heryub, Adractea, Borg Mac and Meicostor.

Second is Adrastea and fourth is Leicester. They are names that already exist in fiction/geography.

No clue about the other two just yet.

The north kingdom looks like Fergus, the one on the right Leiscester and the one on the left Asraetea.

Garg Mae might be the continent.

Aside from that, I'll have to look more to guess the smaller names. Like Dali

Edited by Dayni

Gloucester is geographically correct to the southwest of Leicester. Mountains are Necklace of Fodlan, basically Here Be Dragons surely.

Some places that sound like people's names, Matthaus, Gaspard, Dali. Westerns and Eastern Soiries* that seem to not correspond to any geographical feature.

17 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Gloucester is geographically correct to the southwest of Leicester. Mountains are Necklace of Fodlan, basically Here Be Dragons surely.

Some places that sound like people's names, Matthaus, Gaspard, Dali. Westerns and Eastern Soiries* that seem to not correspond to any geographical feature.

I hope they didn't just put some random names on the world map to make it look more "detailed" after the complaints about lack of world-building in recent games lol.

Edited by Ryo

Oh, look blacklettering - my kind of Calligraphy.^^

But dang that is a very blended style - is it French/Anglo Saxon minuscels? It can't decide at any rate

I'm in a bit of a hurry, but anyway, here's what I'm seeing that hasn't been mentioned yet (as of me writing this post):

Note: N=North, W= west and so on. M=Mid.

• Garatea (MN)
  • Guinivere (NW)
  • Vergilius (ME)
  • Toutatia (NW)
  • Brionac (W)
  • Alill (N)
  • Regan (N)
  • Hofring or Nofring (W)
  • Edamand/Edmund [due to how the a/u are rendered it could be either] (NE)
  • Mylddin (SE)
  • Hrymr or Nrymr? (E)
  • Amid (ME)

I'll take another closer look once I have my reference material at hand - and I'll use the bigger map from the JP website that you linked in the other thread @VincentASM.

But, I'm heading out so it might be a while before I have a chance to.

The nation with the blue banner appears to have the Griffon rider as a symbol. Is this a hint that the Griffon rider class might be returning?

Does the map remind anyone else of Europe? In the south you got a peninsula seperated from the rest of the country by a mountain range like Italy and the Alps, the western could be France and the middle part Germany with the little area surrounded by rivers could be the low Countries. There's even an British-like island in the north west. 

Adrastea, at least from the trailer, seems to be the main, for lack of a better term, "good guy" house. However, of course, the player could just happen to be there.
Also based on the blue flag, Griffons might be a thing again.

flags.png

Very detailed world map, and it doesn't sleep on the edge lands either. I'm glad they learned their lesson after Fates.

25 minutes ago, Tactician_Iris said:

Oh, look blacklettering - my kind of Calligraphy.^^

But dang that is a very blended style - is it French/Anglo Saxon minuscels? It can't decide at any rate

I'm in a bit of a hurry, but anyway, here's what I'm seeing that hasn't been mentioned yet (as of me writing this post):

Note: N=North, W= west and so on. M=Mid.

• Garatea (MN)
  • Guinivere (NW)
  • Vergilius (ME)
  • Toutatia (NW)
  • Brionac (W)
  • Alill (N)
  • Regan (N)
  • Hofring or Nofring (W)
  • Edamand/Edmund [due to how the a/u are rendered it could be either] (NE)
  • Mylddin (SE)
  • Hrymr or Nrymr? (E)
  • Amid (ME)

I'll take another closer look once I have my reference material at hand - and I'll use the bigger map from the JP website that you linked in the other thread @VincentASM.

But, I'm heading out so it might be a while before I have a chance to.

Thanks. I can't seem to find Regan though. Can you point that out?

I just noticed there's a place called Bladdad to the north.

Also the three key characters have Hresvelgr, Blaiddyd (Bladdad) and Regan as their surname. I can see Hresbelgr on the map (towards the far south, near the emblem) and Bladdad, so Regan would complete the trinity.

The map of Fódlan shows 3 regions in particular with symbols next to them. Their names are Hresvelgr, Blaidad and Regan.

Spoiler

Njhiekq.png

Incidentally, the full names of the three characters (likely main characters), as revealed in the Japanese Nintendo page for FE16 are:

Edelgard von Hresvelgr (エーデルガルト フォン フレスベルグ)

Spoiler

00001143_09_Edel.jpg

Dmitri Alexander Blaidad (ディミトリ アレクサンドル ブレーダッド)

Spoiler

00001143_10_Dimi.jpg

Claude von Regan (クロード フォン リーガン)

Spoiler

00001143_11_Claude.jpg

(The potentially sh*tty Anglizisations are mine)

which conveniently matches up with the names of these three regions. This, and the name constructions of the full names of Edelgard and Claude ('von' meaning 'of') resemble those of Germanic nobility (and Edelgard's base class being called 'Aristocrat') also lends support to the idea that these refer to houses or the region they hail from.

Given that Hresvelgr is in Adrastea, Blaidad is in Fergus and Regan is in Leicester, it seems likely that Edelgard, Dmitri and Claude each come from Adrastea, Fergus and Leicester respectively.

If I were to speculate further, we note that the Japanese title for Fire Emblem: Three Houses is ファイアーエムブレム 風花雪月 (Fire Emblem: Fuuka setsugetsu). 風花雪月 are Kanji for 'Wind Flower Snow Moon' respectively, but in conjunction like that they refer to the seasonal beauty of nature, or the futility of rhetoric without substance.

But I believe there is more meaning to the Japanese title than that alone. The symbol next Regan seems to be that of a moon. It's not a stretch to see the symbol next to Blaidad being a snowflake, and the symbol next to Hresvelgr being some kind of floral symbol. Therefore it seems that they are not simply taking 風花雪月 to refer to its idiomatic meaning. In addition to that, the last three of 風 (Wind), 花 (Flower), 雪(Snow) and 月(Moon) literally stands for each of the 'Three Houses' (à la title of the game).. The first may refer to another institutional entity, (likely the Church of Seiros) or suggestive of a fourth important character, perhaps Byleth, or another protagonist (Avatar?). This may be how the English title of the game and the Japanese title of the game relate to one another.

Edited by Aggro Incarnate
Greater clarity; changed romanization based on Tactician_Iris' findings

Okay so its likely that im seeing things that aren't there, but does this map vaguely remind anyone else off the Tellius world map?

(Both maps within the spoilers, because of their size.)

Spoiler

oYcllBv.jpg

Bildergebnis für tellius map

The water level is quite high. Much of the land is missing. The southern parts of Begnion are gone, including the capital city, Sienne. Its land masses point southwest instead of south. Goldoa is completely underwater and most parts of Gallia as well. However, the top chain of hills that divide Gallia from crimea are still present in the new map and therefore are now near the coast. Crimea iremains mostly above surface and the tiny northern island seems to be much bigger now.

The mountains forming arounds the Serenes Forest are still there and reach all the way up to divide the northern regions - just like Daein and Crimea are split by mountains. A large inlet now runs through the former region of Daein. One streak of land reaches up north, indicating that the continent used to be very massive in the northeast. Additionally, the eastern mountains that divide Daein from the desert where the wolf laguz live are also still present in the new map. On the other hand, the large lake southeast from Daein is gone.

Phoenicis and Kilvas are now one island, which smaller and shaped very differently. The island east of Begnion is still present. East of Serenes Forest used to flow the large Ribahn river, which is now completely gone or has at least shrunken down considerably.

All in all, quite a lot has changed. The general shape of the new continent roughly resembles Tellius and especially the mountain formations bear striking similarity to it. However, the land masses shifted to a large degree. Furthermore - not only are huge chunks of land from Tellius now underwater, but new land formation appeared as well (southwest of Begnion, north of Crimea, several islands). That means a hightened water level alone does not suffice as a explanation. We would at least need to consider serious seismic activiy to explain the differences between both world maps. So in the end it does not seem likely, although some hints are there.

What do you think - Could this game be a chronologic successor to the Tellius series playing in the distant future? Or are my ramblings just crazy rubbish?

Edited by Melior

4 minutes ago, Aggro Incarnate said:

If I were to speculate further, we note that the Japanese title for Fire Emblem: Three Houses is ファイアーエムブレム 風花雪月 (Fire Emblem: Fuuka setsugetsu). 風花雪月 are Kanji for 'Wind Flower Snow Moon' respectively, but in conjunction like that they refer to the seasonal beauty of nature.

But I believe there is more meaning to the Japanese title than that alone. The symbol next Regan seems to be that of a moon. It's not a stretch to see the symbol next to Bladad being a snowflake, and the symbol next to Fresbelgr being some kind of floral symbol. Therefore it seems that they are not simply taking 風花雪月 to mean seasonal beauty of nature, each of the 'Three Houses' (à la title of the game) to stand for the last three of 風 (Wind), 花 (Flower), 雪(Snow) and 月(Moon). The first may refer to another institutional entity, (likely the Church of Seiros), which may be how the English title of the game and the Japanese title of the game match up with one another.

The Japanese title certainly reminds me of 風花月鳥 (Fuuka Gecchou), which is a famous poetic shorthand for "All the Beautiful Things in Nature" with "Birds" taking "Snow"'s place ...

That said, now that you point it, I can see the motif of Moon and Snow on Regan and Bladdad respectively, but Fresbelgr/Hresvelgr can go for either for either Wind or Flower; And to be honest, I'm kinda leaning for Hresvelgr being Wind for Mythological reasons and because that leaves Flower as the House-independent Motif and the most likely to be McGuffin'd because 花 being written as "ka" makes it a homophone to 火 (Fire) and thus making the Flower Crest FE16's most likely instance of the Fire Emblem... (which would not surprise me considering IS loves to draw parallels between Blooms and Flames each time they've rendered Ignis)

22 minutes ago, AstraSage said:

That said, now that you point it, I can see the motif of Moon and Snow on Regan and Bladdad respectively, but Fresbelgr/Hresvelgr can go for either for either Wind or Flower; And to be honest, I'm kinda leaning for Hresvelgr being Wind for Mythological reasons and because that leaves Flower as the House-independent Motif and the most likely to be McGuffin'd because 花 being written as "ka" makes it a homophone to 火 (Fire) and thus making the Flower Crest FE16's most likely instance of the Fire Emblem... (which would not surprise me considering IS loves to draw parallels between Blooms and Flames each time they've rendered Ignis)

This makes a lot of sense. I wonder if what I thought was a floral symbol is actually more like a round paper fan...

50 minutes ago, Aggro Incarnate said:

This makes a lot of sense. I wonder if what I thought was a floral symbol is actually more like a round paper fan...

Well, the Crest does look like a Blossom, hence why I'm wavering between Edelgard being the Flower or Wind representative (and it doesn't help cultural evidence points to Wind being a better fit for a Wildcard element like the Avatar)...

It still doesn't discount the possibility of the Flower Crest doubling as the Fire Emblem and the Fresbelgr/Hresvelgr's Coat of Arm referring the Wind Bird even if they don't hold the matching Crest. 

The outer landmasses are:

• Brigit (SW)
  • Morpheus (NE)
  • Threne (N)
  • Palmira (E)
  • Albine(W)

More landmarks on the map are:

• Garg Mac (M)
  • Claymor? Clayman? The latter part is too fuzzy to make out. (NW)
  • Ratthaus (NW)
  • Gauthier (NE)
  • Eva (NE)
  • Gwydion (NW)
  • Lobe (M)
  • Gaspard (M) 
  • Váli (M)
  • Goneril (E)
  • Enbarr (S)
  • Nouvelle (W)
  • Samhain (M)
  • Deirdre (E) (Yes I know, just like Guinivere, a returning name. But that's definitely a capital "D", and minuscle "eirdre" on the map)

Speaking of Guinivere, it's St. Guinivere on the map - dunno how I missed the 'St.' part initially, but there it is anyway.

Overall an odd mishmash of names and etymology on that map but that's fantasy for you.

I'll try and compile what is known of the map's Alphabet as best I can when I have time - no estimate nor promise it will end up 100% accurate though, as some letters are too fuzzy to make out the finer details, but I'll try. Far easier to have an alphabet handy when doing this sort of thing anyway.

Another interesting note is that the three Crests/glyphs/symbols on the heraldry and the map are featured on the Goddess/Dragon mural seen in the trailer (and the offical site). Could they be the crests spoken of in the trailer perhaps...?

Also, one more of these symbols found on the mural matches the crest on the bearded guy's cape. The weapon the Braided woman is holding is also the same (or at least the handle is very similar) as the one that the bearded guy is using. (This iteration's Fire Emblem maybe?)

Another thing...that very same woman has a rather prominent flower in her hair, as do the depicted Goddess (at least I assume that's what she is), she wears a wreath of flowers) in the mural. Considering the kanji for the JP title it's interesting.... but it might just be purely coincidental.

4 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Thanks. I can't seem to find Regan though. Can you point that out?

I just noticed there's a place called Bladdad to the north.

Also the three key characters have Hresvelgr, Blaiddyd (Bladdad) and Regan as their surname. I can see Hresbelgr on the map (towards the far south, near the emblem) and Bladdad, so Regan would complete the trinity.

@Aggro Incarnate beat me to it, but Regan is located directly south of the Moon Crest/Glyph on the map.

I do believe Hresvelgr is spelt that way on the map though, since an extra ligature on a minuscle v was not uncommon for this kind of blacklettering (it's a sort of Bastard Secretary/Lettre Bâtarde style). It's easy to mistake a v for a b at a glance, but if one looks at Enbarr in the south you can see that the b has a more rounded shape than the v. The third region is rendered as Blaidad on the map, the i is faint, but there (I didn't spot it until I replayed the trailer).

Edited by Tactician_Iris
Found out it's St. Guinivere+Typo fix

38 minutes ago, Tactician_Iris said:

I'll try and compile what is known of the map's Alphabet as best I can when I have time - no estimate nor promise it will end up 100% accurate though, as some letters are too fuzzy to make out the finer details, but I'll try. Far easier to have an alphabet handy when doing this sort of thing anyway.

Another interesting note is that the three Crests/glyphs/symbols on the heraldry and the map are featured on the Goddess/Dragon mural seen in the trailer (and the offical site). Could they be the crests spoken of in the trailer perhaps...?

Also, one more of these symbols found on the mural matches the crest on the bearded guy's cape. The weapon the Braided woman is holding is also the same (or at least the handle is very similar) as the one that the bearded guy is using. (This iteration's Fire Emblem maybe?)

Another thing...that very same woman has a rather prominent flower in her hair, as do the depicted Goddess (at least I assume that's what she is), she wears a wreath of flowers) in the mural. Considering the kanji for the JP title it's interesting.... but it might just be purely coincidental.

I'm also seeing a lot of prominence of Flower motifs among the background lore to think it's coincidental...

I'm seriously considering the possibility that the Flower Crest is gonna be heavily linked to the Fire Emblem in a Ignis way...

1 hour ago, Tactician_Iris said:

@Aggro Incarnate beat me to it, but Regan is located directly south of the Moon Crest/Glyph on the map.

I do believe Hresvelgr is spelt that way on the map though, since an extra ligature on a minuscle v was not uncommon for this kind of blacklettering (it's a sort of Bastard Secretary/Lettre Bâtarde style). It's easy to mistake a v for a b at a glance, but if one looks at Enbarr in the south you can see that the b has a more rounded shape than the v. The third region is rendered as Blaidad on the map, the i is faint, but there (I didn't spot it until I replayed the trailer).

Thanks, that's a huge help!