Never Abandon An Idea

So I'm not sure how widely known this is as I had to sleep not long after the trailer last night, but the whole squad based battle idea is something they've considered before.

https://serenesforest.net/2016/06/20/making-of-fire-emblem-genealogy-of-changes/#more-32331

It's not the first time we've seen some old design ideas return for a new game. It seems IS are always considering every idea they've ever had. Maybe some day we'll get that bizarre Fire Emblem on Mars concept.

Huh, interesting. Squads would've certainly made sense for the scale the maps of Genealogy used.

Personally, I'm totally down for that Mars idea. The idea itself reminds me a bit of that Zone of Enders game that took place in Mars, which unlike other games of the series, it was a SRPG. Well, it came off more as SRW than FE, but still...

Just now, Dandy Druid said:

So does this mean that squad mechanics/visual is another thing to add to the "Kaga did it first" list?

I was thinking the same thing. Wonder if he'll sue Nintendo for stealing his former ideas.

It is worth also consider Emblem Saga- beta TearRing Saga.

Spoiler

There will be multiple main characters? Gaiden-style elements of the game

Kaga: I’ve always thought that allowing players to choose the main character would be interesting. This time, there will be multiple “armies” that can be controlled on the world map. As for which characters can lead an army, each character has a rich background, so any character has the potential to become a main character. Although the missions that each army can undertake is fixed, but there will be a lot of freedom from the middle and onwards, and you can focus on your favourite army to progress the story.

es2 Players could freely divide their characters into armies of up to 8 units each and move them around the map, “just like in Fire Emblem: Gaiden.” The characters within an army may be able to support each other to develop love or friendship.

The army being selected belongs to Faris of the Remris Knights. Their tactician is Warner (presumably the character from the screenshot above). The stats to the right side of the portrait are: Emblems, Gold, Income, Cost, Army Strength and Storage.

The menu items to the bottom left of the screen are: Move, Create (army), Unit, Item, Wait and Pass (forfeit your turn?).

—Has the properties of each army already been decided from the start?

Kaga: Of course, the starting attributes will be fixed to some extent, but they will change depending on the player’s methods of playing. This time, we’ve considered various areas related to each army’s attributes. Based on these areas, players can make their own decisions as to how to personalise their characters. For example, if you only fight in arenas, by the end of the game, your army may become proficient in arena battles, but it may be weak in group battles. Another example, say you constantly battle cave monsters, perhaps your army will become invincible against monsters, but their personalities will become negatively affected.

—Sounds very interesting! So, depending on the enemy and location, the properties and personalities of the armies will undergo change.

Kaga: Additionally, character growth will also be related to their relationships with others. If two unrelated characters fight together in the same army, perhaps they will become lovers or close friends by the end…

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I was thinking the same thing. Wonder if he'll sue Nintendo for stealing his former ideas.

It is worth also consider Emblem Saga- beta TearRing Saga.

Reveal hidden contents

There will be multiple main characters? Gaiden-style elements of the game

Kaga: I’ve always thought that allowing players to choose the main character would be interesting. This time, there will be multiple “armies” that can be controlled on the world map. As for which characters can lead an army, each character has a rich background, so any character has the potential to become a main character. Although the missions that each army can undertake is fixed, but there will be a lot of freedom from the middle and onwards, and you can focus on your favourite army to progress the story.

es2 Players could freely divide their characters into armies of up to 8 units each and move them around the map, “just like in Fire Emblem: Gaiden.” The characters within an army may be able to support each other to develop love or friendship.

The army being selected belongs to Faris of the Remris Knights. Their tactician is Warner (presumably the character from the screenshot above). The stats to the right side of the portrait are: Emblems, Gold, Income, Cost, Army Strength and Storage.

The menu items to the bottom left of the screen are: Move, Create (army), Unit, Item, Wait and Pass (forfeit your turn?).

—Has the properties of each army already been decided from the start?

Kaga: Of course, the starting attributes will be fixed to some extent, but they will change depending on the player’s methods of playing. This time, we’ve considered various areas related to each army’s attributes. Based on these areas, players can make their own decisions as to how to personalise their characters. For example, if you only fight in arenas, by the end of the game, your army may become proficient in arena battles, but it may be weak in group battles. Another example, say you constantly battle cave monsters, perhaps your army will become invincible against monsters, but their personalities will become negatively affected.

—Sounds very interesting! So, depending on the enemy and location, the properties and personalities of the armies will undergo change.

Kaga: Additionally, character growth will also be related to their relationships with others. If two unrelated characters fight together in the same army, perhaps they will become lovers or close friends by the end…

Tbh there's no getting away with Kaga, as he was the creator of the series. Although he hasn't been at IS for nearly 2 decades now, he really left an impact on the company whether they like it or not. 

Plus Kaga seems to like brainstorming and coming up with tons of ideas to implement. I don't think they thought of Kaga for this idea, but it's probably something they've been wanting to do for years but finally have the tech to do it and meet their own satisfaction.

If it goes well, hey, maybe Advanced Wars will come back. If not, maybe they're looking to buy Lagrisser or something.

1 hour ago, Dandy Druid said:

Tbh there's no getting away with Kaga, as he was the creator of the series. Although he hasn't been at IS for nearly 2 decades now, he really left an impact on the company whether they like it or not. 

Plus Kaga seems to like brainstorming and coming up with tons of ideas to implement. I don't think they thought of Kaga for this idea, but it's probably something they've been wanting to do for years but finally have the tech to do it and meet their own satisfaction.

If it goes well, hey, maybe Advanced Wars will come back. If not, maybe they're looking to buy Lagrisser or something.

Yeah, I expect this idea has long been on the table and discussed before they started a new game, probably as far back as binding blade, but always dismissed for one reason or another.

34 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, I expect this idea has long been on the table and discussed before they started a new game, probably as far back as binding blade, but always dismissed for one reason or another.

My guess is resources/money. It would just be an added expense.

But thanks to the success of Awakening, Fates, and Heroes, I bet they feel more encouraged to experiment with the formula and do stuff they couldn't do before.

And I probably shouldn't be asking this here, since it is a little off-topic since it has nothing to do with FE16, or FETH as it now known, or FE3H if you want to be cute about it.

But if they had to totally rebuild FE4 2 or 3 times does that mean it underwent a pre-contemporary development hell, or at least skimmed the first circle? Or can development hells not exist in an era where development costs aren't so high?

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And I probably shouldn't be asking this here, since it is a little off-topic since it has nothing to do with FE16, or FETH as it now known, or FE3H if you want to be cute about it.

But if they had to totally rebuild FE4 2 or 3 times does that mean it underwent a pre-contemporary development hell, or at least skimmed the first circle? Or can development hells not exist in an era where development costs aren't so high?

It came out almost two and a half years after Mystery of the Emblem, which I hear was a pretty long development cycle for games made in those days (especially with a game that had a prior installment they could work off of). More telling perhaps, is that the Nintendo 64 was being released only a few months later, so I doubt they intended for it to be released near the end of the consoles life cycle given the scale and scope of the game (also I should note that the SNES did have a pretty long life even after the Nintendo 64 was released, hello Thracia 776 which came out after the first Smash Bros., I'm not sure Nintendo knew they were going to continue to support it that long though). So yeah, I'd say looking at the facts, remaking the game three times, a long development cycle (for the time) and getting released just before the next console's launch,  it seems development hell would be an accurate term.

At this point, I feel like we need to dig really deep to look for scrapped ideas that they're gonna recycle in Three Houses or the next FE games XD

I mentioned this in my analysis, but Edelgard's Aristocrat class originated back in Blazing Blade, as Elbert and (I think) Eleanora's unused class (where it was known as "Peer" in the English version).

Wait, they got rid of kissing scenes in Awakening... Maybe we'll get a VR dating spin off one day *___*

Anyway, it's cool they finally used this idea again. One of the problems with FE, especially as the games got more realistic, was the sense of scale during battles--or lack of.

1 minute ago, VincentASM said:

At this point, I feel like we need to dig really deep to look for scrapped ideas that they're gonna recycle in Three Houses or the next FE games XD

I mentioned this in my analysis, but Edelgard's Aristocrat class originated back in Blazing Blade, as Elbert and (I think) Eleanora's unused class (where it was known as "Peer" in the English version).

Wait, they got rid of kissing scenes in Awakening... Maybe we'll get a VR dating spin off one day *___*

Anyway, it's cool they finally used this idea again. One of the problems with FE, especially as the games got more realistic, was the sense of scale during battles--or lack of.

The face touching seems like a take on a kissing mechanic.

RE: Realism, I actually really like how they maintained scale in Radiant Dawn. Basically every battle had some kind of excuse as to why it's only twenty guys vs thirty guys. Stuff like Ike's group being a distraction during the big cgi battle, or Michaiah trapping Sanaki in the valley with most of the army separated from the A Team (trust us guys, there's a lod of soldiers just off the screen!). Or like several times where Ike and co stay behind to hold off the advancing forces to let the laguz escape. They never quite went too far with it, but it maintained the illusion that this conflict is happening on a larger scale and we're just playing the micro stuff in it (the prerendered cutscenes and stuff like showing off Zelguis' army and generally having a load of NPC allies that suicide in various maps helped too).

10 hours ago, Seifus said:

Whenever I think squads in an RPG, I keep thinking of Kingdom Under Fire

I think about Glory of Herakles III, personally. Even though we probably won't have the same kind of story telling, for better or worse.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

RE: Realism, I actually really like how they maintained scale in Radiant Dawn. Basically every battle had some kind of excuse as to why it's only twenty guys vs thirty guys. Stuff like Ike's group being a distraction during the big cgi battle, or Michaiah trapping Sanaki in the valley with most of the army separated from the A Team (trust us guys, there's a lod of soldiers just off the screen!). Or like several times where Ike and co stay behind to hold off the advancing forces to let the laguz escape. They never quite went too far with it, but it maintained the illusion that this conflict is happening on a larger scale and we're just playing the micro stuff in it (the prerendered cutscenes and stuff like showing off Zelguis' army and generally having a load of NPC allies that suicide in various maps helped too).

Same here. Part 4 then eradicates mostly everyone as well, there is hardly a fight that doesn't have a logic justifying the scale, with only like 1-F and 3-6 real exceptions.

PoR was fine with scale for a significant portion of the game. You don't get a big army until post C-17. And even then until Nevassa's fall in C21 and the temple investigation of C22, the scale was okay owing to the game saying you only got limited troops since Sanaki needed Sephiran to return to give the full might of Begnion. Tanith's Reinforce skill gave some Allied units to add a little scale.

After this, there are real scale issues. But they do give Tibarn and some Laguz a side mission during C26, and during the Final Chapter, Giffca, Tibarn, Naesala and Zelgius (perfect to hide the statistical truth) each an offscreen front during the assault on Melior.