PS4 or Switch?

Since the E3 presentation yesterday I'm not certain which console to buy Next (won't happen before winter anyways).
I was certain to buy a PS4 because of Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition, but since I heared that it would come out for Switch too, and FE is also a thing, I'm really thinking right now.

The main question for me is: Which console has more / better JRPGs?

I don't care for any Mario games or other platformers, just for (round based) strategy games and JRPGs. 

I don't remember if Tales of Berseria is a PS4 exclusive, or if it was on the PS3.  But since you're a Tales fan, I strongly recommend playing it.

PS4 probably has more jrpgs (but don't hold me to it), I'm not sure about strategy games though. It really comes down to titles you want to play imho. Switch has some great jrpgs (like I'm Setsuna, which I really liked - but it is available on PS4 so it won't change that much). If you want to play Tales of Vesperia (which comes to switch), and other switch exclusives, I would say go for the switch. But this advice comes from someone, who owns neither, so I can't really give you advice about how it feels to play on these consoles. 

The Switch, DEFINITELY. I only considered PS4 for Monster Hunter Worlds, but with Switch having Smash Bros, Fire Emblem, AND Monster Hunter  G Ultimate, it is now my choice. 

I personally would prefer the style of Monster Hunter Worlds, but Switch have even more stuff that I'm excited for. 

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

I don't remember if Tales of Berseria is a PS4 exclusive, or if it was on the PS3.  But since you're a Tales fan, I strongly recommend playing it.

It came out also for PS3 in JP which I have played.
I wouldn't mind to play it in English too sometime (same reason as for Vesperia), but it would not be a crucial argument for me to get a PS4.
I lent my copy of Vesperia oversea, so I have much rather desire to replay this Tales of game.

21 minutes ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

It came out also for PS3 in JP which I have played.
I wouldn't mind to play it in English too sometime (same reason as for Vesperia), but it would not be a crucial argument for me to get a PS4.
I lent my copy of Vesperia oversea, so I have much rather desire to replay this Tales of game.

I don't know how fluent you are in Japanese.  However, I'd say Berseria has some good dialogue moments, and is worth playing in English.  You can swap between the JP and EN voices, if that's your thing.  Give the English dub a shot, though - Velvet is excellent in both languages.

@Hecatia Lapislazuli

PlayStation 4 has some noteworthy titles: SRPGs: Banner Saga 1 & 2, Disgaea 5 Alliance of Vengeance, Valkyria Revolution, Grand Kingdom, Nobunaga's Ambition Sphere of Influence.

JRPGs: Persona 5, Nier Automata, Tales of Berseria, Ys Origin, Valkyria Chronicles, I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear, Tales of Zestiria, Ys VIII

RPGs: Divinity Original Sin, Horizon Zero Dawn, Monster Hunter World, The Witcher 3, Nioh, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire, Ash of Gods

Upcoming titles: Cyberpunk 2077, Banner Saga 3, Kingdom Hearts 3, Nioh 2, Divinity Original Sin 2, Dragon Quest XI, God Wars Complete Legend, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition, Kingdom Under Fire 2. There's more upcoming but I listed the ones that stood out. https://www.gamepressure.com/games/ps4/rpg/33

Nintendo Switch has some good ones as well: Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear, Skyrim, Disgaea 5 Complete, Atelier Lydie & Suelle

Upcoming titles: Octopath Traveller, Dragon Quest XI, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Nights of Azure 2, Code of Princess EX, Banner Saga 3, Shining Resonance Refrain, Ys VIII

Get PS4 this year, and wait for Switch to get more unique titles, instead of ports.

Edited by grinus

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

I don't know how fluent you are in Japanese.  However, I'd say Berseria has some good dialogue moments, and is worth playing in English.  You can swap between the JP and EN voices, if that's your thing.  Give the English dub a shot, though - Velvet is excellent in both languages.

I have zero knowledge in Japanese. I read the English script and watched a LP of Vesperia and Berseria though. Playing Berseria in English would be great, but it's not an absolute "must-have" right now for me. Another reason for replaying it for PS4 would be for the DLC stuff.

3 hours ago, Retyl said:

Also Tales of Berseria is not exlusive to Playstation consoles. It's on Steam too so you can get it there if your computer can run it.

My CPU don't match the requirements, so that's why I imported the PS3 version.

2 hours ago, grinus said:

@Hecatia Lapislazuli

PlayStation 4 has some noteworthy titles: SRPGs: Banner Saga 1 & 2, Disgaea 5 Alliance of Vengeance, Valkyria Revolution, Grand Kingdom, Nobunaga's Ambition Sphere of Influence.

JRPGs: Persona 5, Nier Automata, Tales of Berseria, Ys Origin, Valkyria Chronicles, I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear, Tales of Zestiria, Ys VIII

RPGs: Divinity Original Sin, Horizon Zero Dawn, Monster Hunter World, The Witcher 3, Nioh, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire, Ash of Gods

Upcoming titles: Cyberpunk 2077, Banner Saga 3, Kingdom Hearts 3, Nioh 2, Divinity Original Sin 2, Dragon Quest XI, God Wars Complete Legend, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition, Kingdom Under Fire 2. There's more upcoming but I listed the ones that stood out. https://www.gamepressure.com/games/ps4/rpg/33

Nintendo Switch has some good ones as well: Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear, Skyrim, Disgaea 5 Complete, Atelier Lydie & Suelle

Upcoming titles: Octopath Traveller, Dragon Quest XI, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Nights of Azure 2, Code of Princess EX, Banner Saga 3, Shining Resonance Refrain, Ys VIII

Get PS4 this year, and wait for Switch to get more unique titles, instead of ports.

Played Persona 5, Berseria and Zestiria for PS3. First two were amazing, latter not so much.
I tried to get into Ys by playjng the first two parts. Honestly I can't get used into its gameplay, but I've heared that the old parts have different gameplay to the current ones, so I might have a wrong Impression about this series.
Nier is a series I have heared really good things about, Valkyrie Chronicles looks interesting too by watching a LP. 
Can't say anything about the other games.

As for Switch the new FE game Octopath Traveller are Sound interesting.
I couldn't play a Xenoblade game yet (couldn't find a favorable GC copy of 1 yet), but I guess I'd love this series. People told me that 2 isn't strongly connected to 1 a / o X, so it could be a good introduction for me.
I tried to get into DQ... with the focus on "tried".

2 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I have both systems. So I can reliably say that I play my PS4 more often than my Switch. However, it really all comes down to this - Had you rather get Vesperia and FE? Or Vesperia and other PS4 games?

Honestly I don't really know any games aside of Vesperia and Trails of Cold Steel 3 for the the PS3 simply ecause I haven't bothered with its games yet (same as for Switch). My most anticapted game is actually Trails of Cold Steel III because I absolutely love its prequels. But it has no date of release for the west yet, so Vesperia would be my only PS4 game from what I can think of right now..

Banner Saga's on Steam, and if my old toaster of a computer could run it, I think yours could, too.  If you're into many small choices and a very different type of SRPG, give it a whirl!

@Hecatia Lapislazuli I neglected to mention PC RPGs that work well even on Intel-based graphics and older hardware. I only have my Chromebook now so my options are limited to Linux games. Anyhow, the following are some titles I've personally had the privilege to play. 

Banner Saga 1, Lost Sphear, I am Setsuna, Agarest Generations of War, King's Bounty Series, Fallout Tactics Brotherhood of Steel, Recettear An item shop's tale, & Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky.

In my opinion, PS4. It have a much greater numbers of games, the list is really  really too long.

The Switch might have a few great exclusive like Zelda:Botw or the new Mario that really looks awesome, but a small numbers of titles, no matter how great they are, doesn't justify the buying of a new consoles to me.
Then again, the Switch seems to take it's fly (about time), but it seems like a sloppy fly to me. Yeah, Fire Emblem16, SMTV. Pokemon Let's go (eeeeh about that one though...)... that's still a small number of good games, a console empty the wallet, hard. You gotta be sure you're going to spend a long time using with it. And since the PS4 have much more game, and so a lot of good games, it's a no brainer. Heck, it's the same reason why I bought a 3DS in the first place before.

That is, of course my opinion. In the end, do what you want. It is, after all, your life and choice. I wouldn't buy the Switch, but you might want to.