Dismounting might be back

I already posted this on Reddit, but I'm gonna post it here too just in case you are unable to access it and also to spread it

Here's the link for those who can access it https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/8qq3rg/dismounting_might_be_back/

For those unable to access reddit, I'll go over it.

Spoiler

cavalier.PNG.d452b5e6fe1f774af149404855baeff8.PNG

Here we see a cavalier in a cutscene, wearing very distinctive armor

Spoiler

charge.thumb.PNG.4351199cce8fd9f9f25f6d3cd947afd7.PNG

Here we can see many units, and the cavs have the same armor

Spoiler

dismount.PNG.26af3446173a9a27f245328383acc5c5.PNG

And finally, in the first part with Dimitri, he attacks a unit in cavalier armor without a horse. So either they're using the same armor for different classes (which i honestly doubt), or dismounting is returning

I support it because customisability is a big thing for me. I don't like restrictions, and would prefer it if anyone could equip a horse, and also any weapon they please. Probably should make riding a skill just like weapon ranks too.

I prefer classless RPGs so that probably explains my preferences. Not so much "master of everything" power fantasies like Elder Scrolls games, but I much prefer OG Fallout's system (based on GURPS) to D&D for example.

55 minutes ago, Florete said:

I don't necessarily mind...but I don't understand why it's such a big deal for some people.

Because balancing classes. Horse units are pretty commonly the best units in the game. They really don't have that much of a downside. Dismounting nerfs them on indoor maps. Dismounting is kind of a strength for them as well, I guess, because you can traverse harsh terrain better

What I'm curious is what kind of canto we're getting. I kinda don't want to see FE4 canto because it's way too good

Edited by silveraura25

I definitely would like to see some balancing done to mounted units in some regard.  I think what @Humanoid proposed with making all classes capable of riding mounts would be best, because there's no logical reason for why some units in an army shouldn't ride horses, pegasi, wyverns, or griffons into battle.

But even dismounting making a return would be fine.  I just don't like that they have the abundant advantage of being able to move faster than other units while still being just as capable fighters as those other units.

I'm fine with it as long as their stats don't get tanked to all hell and the character is locked to swords. That was seriously dumb.

54 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I'm fine with it as long as their stats don't get tanked to all hell and the character is locked to swords. That was seriously dumb.

Just them getting nerfed a tad bit would be a little understandable. As for the character being locked to swords, yeah that was ridiculous

5 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I support it because customisability is a big thing for me. I don't like restrictions, and would prefer it if anyone could equip a horse, and also any weapon they please. Probably should make riding a skill just like weapon ranks too.

I prefer classless RPGs so that probably explains my preferences. Not so much "master of everything" power fantasies like Elder Scrolls games, but I much prefer OG Fallout's system (based on GURPS) to D&D for example.

That would be so cool. It might not work for FE though because it might make it harder to have variety and balance in the characters, as having a high speed/skill cav versus a high speed/skill fighter wouldn't make a difference if you could choose their classes.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

I definitely would like to see some balancing done to mounted units in some regard.  I think what @Humanoid proposed with making all classes capable of riding mounts would be best, because there's no logical reason for why some units in an army shouldn't ride horses, pegasi, wyverns, or griffons into battle.

But even dismounting making a return would be fine.  I just don't like that they have the abundant advantage of being able to move faster than other units while still being just as capable fighters as those other units.

You can't really assume every member of your army would be trained to fight on horseback and it would be even more out there if everyone was trained to fight on a flying mount.

Every class is supposed to have strengths and weaknesses, but the games are usually unbalanced in mounted units favor with the most common mission objectives favoring high move units and enemies in most Fire Emblem not needed the stats of classes to specialized in any particular way. We haven't seen enough to make judgments, but there is a lot alongside dismounted that could be done to balance them. We could have a lot of terrain mounts can't move on, a healthy amount of indoor maps, the other class types could have abilities that make them worthwhile using instead of mounts or we could even see new mission types to make them less optimal.

1 minute ago, Modamy said:

You can't really assume every member of your army would be trained to fight on horseback and it would be even more out there if everyone was trained to fight on a flying mount.

Every class is supposed to have strengths and weaknesses, but the games are usually unbalanced in mounted units favor with the most common mission objectives favoring high move units and enemies in most Fire Emblem not needed the stats of classes to specialized in any particular way. We haven't seen enough to make judgments, but there is a lot alongside dismounted that could be done to balance them. We could have a lot of terrain mounts can't move on, a healthy amount of indoor maps, the other class types could have abilities that make them worthwhile using instead of mounts or we could even see new mission types to make them less optimal.

In my mind, the infantry would start at E rank "riding" and it'd take a pretty concerted effort to skill up. It might sound a bit out there, but it feels more elegant than Fates' reclassing system, where Ryoma can totally ride a pegasus ...as long as he also ditches the weapon he's wielded all his life. It makes more sense to just keep his base kit, have him "equip" a pegasus, then slowly become more effective at it. I envisage a large combat penalty for mounted fighting at low ranks, with the penalty gradually reducing as you get to A/S rank riding.

The flying mounts themselves would also be fairly rare, you'd never have enough to kit out the entire team with them.

8 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

In my mind, the infantry would start at E rank "riding" and it'd take a pretty concerted effort to skill up. It might sound a bit out there, but it feels more elegant than Fates' reclassing system, where Ryoma can totally ride a pegasus ...as long as he also ditches the weapon he's wielded all his life. It makes more sense to just keep his base kit, have him "equip" a pegasus, then slowly become more effective at it. I envisage a large combat penalty for mounted fighting at low ranks, with the penalty gradually reducing as you get to A/S rank riding.

The flying mounts themselves would also be fairly rare, you'd never have enough to kit out the entire team with them.

I didn't really take reclassing into account since I hope it's gone in favor of making classes more distinct from one another and the idea of letting everyone ride a mount just further feels like homogenization of all the classes. Also even if their was some kind of limitation to using a mount like a rank that just feels like they aren't trying to balance mounted units and just saying you have to grind up a weapon rank so that the OP class can be even more OP.

My ideal would be each class having skills that only units in that class could use with canto being the cavalier class skill and every unit having a personal skill to help set the apart from others they share a class with. I remember in FE 5,9, and 10 having a single personal skill was more than enough to make each unit unique and allow them to fulfill different niches within their class.

Dismounting is not only an awesome mechanic, but it's just straight up realistic and adds to the utility of Cavalry classes. I'm all for it.

I really don't care. Then again, I could say that about my life the way things are going...

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

• 1 year later...

/\___
                                                                  /     I     o ___ )
                        ^    ________________  /          I                                                                                          
?
                    ^^     (    I                                I     )                                                          Ӧ
                   ^^^    I     I       ________       I      I                                                          √I þ
                              Ω                                  Ω