Theory: Fergus is a Scottish-Inspired Kingdom

This is a theory I came up after noticing a few things (and after other things were pointed out to me). Here's my evidence: (and sorry that I can't provide pictures; I'll try to give the times at which each thing appears in the trailer)

1. right away, the name Fergus is an anglicization of the Scottish Gaelic Fearghas, which means man of vigour. Now, Fire Emblem has used plenty of names from many different parts of the world before. So, what makes this any different? That leads me to my next pieces of evidence.

2. The swordsman about to attack the Emmeryn-Impersonator in the trailer, the one in the spiked armour, is wearing a red-and-white tartan cape. Now, a tartan cape isn't much, but it is distinct, and it is the first case (if I'm not mistaken; someone correct me if I'm wrong) of a character wearing anything tartan in an FE game, and this isn't the only case in the trailer of tartan: the charging axe warriors at around 0:54 into the trailer are each wearing a blue tartan outfit that looks suspiciously similar to a kilt.

So, why do I think this is Fergus, and not one of the other kingdoms? Well, in addition to the Scottish name, the kingdom of Fergus sits the furthest north on the map of the continent in the trailer. Typically in FE, the northernmost nations are also the coldest, and most likely to have chapters where the characters fight in ice and snow. Daein in Path of Radiance, Regna Ferox in Awakening, and the Rigelian Empire in SoV are all great examples of this. Why is this important? That swordsman with the red tartan cape, and the axe-wielding warriors in the blue tartan kilts, are also wearing fur. In FE; most notably in Echoes, fur indicates that the character hails from that cold, northern region where the heroes inevitably fight there in the winter, and these guys are the ones wearing furs. Everyone else is wearing (likely linen) cloth. 

So, what do you think of my theory?

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

This is a theory I came up after noticing a few things (and after other things were pointed out to me). Here's my evidence: (and sorry that I can't provide pictures; I'll try to give the times at which each thing appears in the trailer)

1. right away, the name Fergus is an anglicization of the Scottish Gaelic Fearghas, which means man of vigour. Now, Fire Emblem has used plenty of names from many different parts of the world before. So, what makes this any different? That leads me to my next pieces of evidence.

2. The swordsman about to attack the Emmeryn-Impersonator in the trailer, the one in the spiked armour, is wearing a red-and-white tartan cape. Now, a tartan cape isn't much, but it is distinct, and it is the first case (if I'm not mistaken; someone correct me if I'm wrong) of a character wearing anything tartan in an FE game, and this isn't the only case in the trailer of tartan: the charging axe warriors at around 0:54 into the trailer are each wearing a blue tartan outfit that looks suspiciously similar to a kilt.

So, why do I think this is Fergus, and not one of the other kingdoms? Well, in addition to the Scottish name, the kingdom of Fergus sits the furthest north on the map of the continent in the trailer. Typically in FE, the northernmost nations are also the coldest, and most likely to have chapters where the characters fight in ice and snow. Daein in Path of Radiance, Regna Ferox in Awakening, and the Rigelian Empire in SoV are all great examples of this. Why is this important? That swordsman with the red tartan cape, and the axe-wielding warriors in the blue tartan kilts, are also wearing fur. In FE; most notably in Echoes, fur indicates that the character hails from that cold, northern region where the heroes inevitably fight there in the winter, and these guys are the ones wearing furs. Everyone else is wearing (likely linen) cloth. 

So, what do you think of my theory?

It seems like a possibility. Hopefully more information about this game comes around at some point.

It's likely, yes, but it's also likely to be fairly superficial given the other placenames in the area. It'd be sort of interesting if the whole setting was basically Celtic Britain vs Anglo-Saxon Britain vs Norman Britain.

23 hours ago, Czarpy said:

if we get a william wallace influenced character, i will die happy.

That sounds cool as long as you're not referring to the Braveheart version of William Wallace. Given that he was a swordsman, I'm hoping that they base the mercenary/hero class tree on this Scottish design they've shown already: the blue tartan kilt and the red tartan cape.