Thoughts On Art/Character Design and Character Personalities

What are your thoughts on the characters we've seen so far? Do you like the designs/art style? What do you think their personalities will be? What are your hopes for any yet to be revealed characters?

Personally I really like the art style and the designs we've seen so far! Though, Claude is my favourite. #TeamClaude

I like Edelgard and Byleth as well and I don't even dislike Dimitri's design :P

As for the other characters I have high hopes! Or at least high optimism. The consensus seems to be that the character artist is Kurahana Chinatsu who designed the characters for Uta no Prince-sama. I'm a fan of her art but I do wonder how varied her designs can actually get in terms of differing body types. I'm excited to find out though.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edelgard and Dimitri feel really icy, and if I didn't know any better, I'd swear they were siblings.  Claude has a warmer vibe, hence why I like him.  Unlike the other two, he's smiling.

Byleth needs to lose the cloak.  Don't mind the darker aesthetic, though.

It'll be interesting to see if we get bulkier characters.  I wouldn't mind a bit more body type diversity!

from what I've seen so far, I hate edelgard and dimitri, I tolerate claude, and byleth isn't fundamentally bad, but falls to short for me to like.

edgelord edelgard, looks like micaiah, but bad, her color scheme is very unappealing using what appears to be magenta to offset black which only seems to lead to the magenta looking darker and stands out less, the proportions of the magenta also seem to be really awkward focusing in her cape and tights, with minimal accents around her torso, this leaves us with a situation where the contrasting colors force us to go from pitch black to some of the palest skin in fire emblem, likely caused by a lack of middling colors to help offset the difference between her face and clothes, her hair color isn't helping her either, then comes her outfit, of what i've seen, the dark colors make it unappealing to look at, and I am having trouble ascertaining a distinct shape for her overall, and I really don't like the ruffled short legs, it just looks ugly to me, either bite the bullet and wear a skirt or wear proper shorts, not this ugly middleground, if you want to see some well done shorts in fire emblem lethe's look great, and if you take issue with the slits, they still look fine without, or she could just wear proper pants like everyone seems to demand, but unlike most I would hardly call her "properly dressed" especially for, what appears to be, a front lines combatant, micaiah gets away with leggings because she is back line support and is a mage. She also appears to be the "straight A student of the trio" kind of dull if you ask me, will scoff at claude for not looking perpetually depressed/pissed.

dimitri, commits far fewer sins in the looks department, his color scheme is a bit iffy to me the bright blue next to that pitch black armor doesn't sit well with me, edelgard has the opposite problem, though both seem to lack proper accents to make their armor look less dark or at least to take away from only using one color dimitri would do better with darker blue accents, then we have his hair, bangs are not supposed to be this notably longer than the rest you know, then the way it clumps up just makes him look like he would dd better to cut it all off, I don't know if dreads in front exclusively then have the back really short is a thing, but if it is, make it stop being a thing it looks wrong. looks like his cat died in a tragic apple cart incident and someone crapped in his boo berry this morning, he seems like he will do what his superiors ask with little issue, but also enjoys fighting, sucks at magic, also will scoff at claude for not looking perpetually depressed/pissed.

byleth doesn't feel wrong on a fundamental level, his hair color is off to me, I don't like it, but I think is his black armor does not help that, then we have the most important thing, his coat, now I will say this borders on one of the most juvenile trying to look badass elements of his design and I like it, but, they still found a way to mess it up, the way the sleeves are positioned incorrectly, rather being off to the sides (which is where they fall when wearing a coat this way properly), they are positioned behind him, making him look like he is wearing the coat like a cape rather than wearing it like normal without putting his arms through the sleeves, this looks bad and only serves to disvalue the design, but unlike the two previous this one may be an avatar and therefore may be customizable, so that may mean we can remove the bad and accentuate the good. will be as bland as a bowl of marshmallowless lucky charms, has a mysterious past and yet is the best at what he does and we are left assuming "well I guess that is how it is", will be arrested for using his status as teacher to exchange illicit substances and naughty pictures from his students for good grades, this avatar isn't a kid anymore real life has consequences, also face touching, but that is dlc only.

then there is claude, I like him, I like him way more than the other two of our merry little trio, he has a much better color scheme because black isn't his only primary color, the darker orange accents help offset the color and it just works better than everyone else, his hair is ok as well and he has an earing, he looks to be more jovial in tone, not very smart, until the plot demands it, just doesn't get "it".

I guess I'll also comment on some of the smaller portraits and others

young girl with pink twintails, don't know why but the color seems off to me, I liked serra so this shouldn't make me feel anything at worst, but I just don't know what it was. has a problem with poisonous plants being all to common, likes animals.

older gentlemen with mustache, I like his macado's mustache, not much else I can say about it, just a man who seems to understand facial hair. Was in the great war, hates seeing children fighting, is into older women, intimidated by the facial hair of others, spicy foods give him heartburn, looks like a jpop lead without his mustache.

loli at the end, she is (hopefully) our dragon loli for the evening, so that automatically gets a win in my book, I don't see the tiki resemblance much apart from loli dragon but that isn't a ton, but apart from that, I do like the design, no complaints here. Stays up too late, causing an erratic sleep schedule, likes inflicting pain on those smaller than she is (prefered targets depend on form), ate a bug once on a dare, will deny it, insists she is an adult, likes drinking, no one will let her for legal reasons.

important lady, looks like mila to me. Reluctantly fights alongside our trio, kingdom was destroyed, hates the avatar, spends at least twenty minutes brushing every morning, will betray us in the third act.

mr. swordwhip man, he is older, he has a swordwhip, he is likely a major antagonist, that is all. Likes long walks in his castle courtyard, into S&M, gave up on true love a long time ago, is depressed, sacrifices himself to save the world.

phew, that was long, I certainly hope it is not impossible to follow, overall I am indifferent leaning don't like on design and whatnot, nothing really great to make me interested, and quite a few that I dislike on a fundamental level more may be revealed to make me like the character designs but at the moment I am slightly leaning toward don't like.

It's hard to have my thoughts on the character's personalities because we know jack shit about them.

Edgelord Edelgard is my favorite of the bunch and that kind of has to do with the amount of fanart she's been getting. And i can see why so many people are interested. Female Axe Lord? Hell yeah!

But other than that, i can't really comment on the characters other than the artstyle, which i like. It....feels a bit like a mix between Kozaki's and Hidari's artstyle.

Edgelord Eldelgard, looks great, she sound like she might have "knight templar" type personality, or in this case knight anti-templar. She doesn't resemble any female lord in that regard not even Lyn. She feels lot of like Alm actually.

Claude, looks like classic friendly sniper, I bet he can be bro and in time of need provide voice of reason, maybe? I also don't think we had that before. Plus looking at his skin he likelly spend lot of time on beach sunbathing, this guy know his stuff.

Dimitry looks like Inness, if that case he is not particularly unique, but it could work well, especially as part of power trio. Being lance lord is also going for him, we don't have lot of these.

Byleth’s coat reminds me of Kirito from Sword Art Online. That’s not a good thing. Otherwise, I’m liking the return of SoV-esque cutscenes, and the scenery looks nice

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

It'll be interesting to see if we get bulkier characters.  I wouldn't mind a bit more body type diversity!

That's what  I'm wondering about with Chinatsu most likely being the artist of the game. And with a glance at google, majority of her work is pretty boys from Otome games. But things may change later on. To be fair, Hidari before Echoes was known for drawing cute girls in the Atelier series. So I want to be surprised.

4 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

then there is claude, I like him, I like him way more than the other two of our merry little trio, he has a much better color scheme because black isn't his only primary color, the darker orange accents help offset the color and it just works better than everyone else, his hair is ok as well and he has an earing, he looks to be more jovial in tone, not very smart, until the plot demands it, just doesn't get "it".

So.... you do realize Claude's color is yellow, right? And the darker tones are gold? Not orange? You also said Edelgard uses magenta when her colors are red (and lavender for her eyes/hair ties). Are you a little colorblind, maybe?? I wonder if that's why the colors seem so off to you!

Otherwise, I personally love the art/character designs at the moment. We have 0 personality so I can't speak to that.

Edelgard is super pretty. At first her BRIGHT lavender eyes were a bit jarring (also because I couldn't see the pupil) but upon official release, I really like it. It's very ... high class, aristocrat (which ironically is her class), and so I think it fits. I wish her two hair pieces weren't cut so sharply and evenly, but otherwise her outfit looks cute and sensible and stylized without being overdrawn.

Dimitri, I ... well ... I don't HATE his hair. But I don't like the mop look. It's just a few pieces that are just out of place that kinda bother me (and the weird length issue), but I also kinda like that it's different because it makes him unique and hey, we've all had bad haircuts. Lol. His outfit is a bit more generic but I'm okay with that (for now).

And Claude...oh Claude. *dreamily sighs* I really could just go on and on (but yellow/black are my favorite colors together so yeah). So I love him. He has some shade diversity (like Grey or Boey) which I love, beautiful eyes. Wavy hair and a braid. Like ... sign me up. He looks like a mage to me (but it's probably only because I LOVE magic, so anyone I like, I make into a mage)..

But I'm excited to see the other characters. From the quick character portraits of enemies(?) I was really vibing with the looks. The Avatar looks cool too, but I want an official portrait before I make my decision.

Can't comment on personality because I don't know them yet. I didn't like the SoV style cinematic, when they try to blend 3D and 2D to me looks like unfinished 3D so I'm disappointed they are back. Edgelord Eldigan Edelgard and Dimitri look so much like designs from a Persona game I find it distracting, Claude looks different so his design I'm cool with.

I like the art style for the most part. I don't really have anything to say about the characters shown so far. But I will say that, when it comes to unit designs, I like it overall. The only thing that really bothers me is the huge amount of spiked armour on some of the units shown in the cinematic parts of the trailer.

There's one thing the cinematic showed that came as a pleasant surprise to me: the use of tartan. The swordsman with the spiked armour has a red tartan cape, and the axe-wielding units seen at around 0:54 in the trailer are unmistakably wearing blue tartan kilts. As a fan of Scottish culture, this was really cool to see. I hope that the mercenary/hero class tree (if it is in the game) has the same blue kilt and the red tartan cloak. 

I like all the characters so far. Dimitri is a lance lord and we haven't had one of those in a long time, Eldegard is basically a female axe lord that fact alone is going to get me to like her, Claude looks pretty cool. But aside from the class type and design I can't really say, we no zip about their personality or what kind of character they are. So I can't really say whether I like their personality or not as we were not shown what their personality is. I like Dimitri's blue design wise he reminds me a little of Clive from Echoes, Eldegard's black and red outfit also that her class name is Aristocrat, Claude's yellow and black looks rather sharp.

From what was in the trailer, I like the character art style. It feels very different from past FEs, but it seems like that's what they were going for. The portraits seem like they give some insight into the character's personalities (Claude being more personable, Dmitri possibly being more harsh), which is all I really ask for from a portrait.

I actually like all of the character portraits that we've seen so far, especially Claude and Edelgard. Dmitri and Byleth are pretty good, but Byleth looks a mite edgy. That's a departure from the typical MU, though, so I'll take it. Personally, I'd like to see some lower-class characters in the future. FE3H looks like it has nobles as the main characters, so I'm hoping that we'll get some social diversity in the rest of the roster.

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

Edelgard and Dimitri feel really icy, and if I didn't know any better, I'd swear they were siblings.  Claude has a warmer vibe, hence why I like him.  Unlike the other two, he's smiling.

Byleth needs to lose the cloak.  Don't mind the darker aesthetic, though.

No thanks. The cloak is the only aspect of Byleth's design that I like. An option to toggle or change the cloak would be welcome, but if no cloak customization is available, I would like to keep it, tyvm.

I love the art of this game and the characters so far again as many already point out the Persona look which is great!

Byleth: probably the best Avatar design yet(not to say Kris, Robin or Corrin are bad love theirs still but Byleth takes the cake)! Love that serious, mature knight vibes "they" give off hope to see his and the potential female version full art!(they'll definitely will be fun to potentially customize)!

Edelgard: Very regal, stotic and gorgeous definitely S-Rank material for me already! hope she has great supports and dialogue!

Claude: he's definitely a pretty boy I'm definitely sure girls are gonna want to marry him in game. He looks like he's gonna have some great supports!

Dmitri: I feel he'll be the harsh arrogant or serious one to contrasts Claudes potential outgoing personality. He's definitely also potential husband material I'm predicting.

I also really love the designs of the Goddess, the dragon girl, the old king looking man, Hilda/ Mercedes/and a few unconfirmed portraits we saw.

2 hours ago, Arcphoenix said:

Byleth’s coat reminds me of Kirito from Sword Art Online. That’s not a good thing. Otherwise, I’m liking the return of SoV-esque cutscenes, and the scenery looks nice

The problem with Kirito was never his design. It was his boring personality, overpowered wish fulfillment tropes, and SAO's generally low writing quality. If anything, Kirito's character design was the only positive aspect of his character.

long story short

1) the art style to me is... strange: it reminds me a lot of persona (and i don't like persona's art style), but it's not bat, i think i'll eventually end up liking it

2) i really like edelgard atm, claude looks nice (also devdan was too much of a stereotype i guess) and dimitri should take a shower, i mean look at that hair, looks like they covered it with glue

3) i don't like the fact that the characters, in their portraits, look directly towards the player: i mean, it's like talking to someone while looking at a completely different direction

that's it for now

Edited by Yexin

1 hour ago, Sunsurge said:

So.... you do realize Claude's color is yellow, right? And the darker tones are gold? Not orange? You also said Edelgard uses magenta when her colors are red (and lavender for her eyes/hair ties). Are you a little colorblind, maybe?? I wonder if that's why the colors seem so off to you!

To be fair, Edelgard does wear something between a very deep hue of Magenta or a very soft Wine Red...

That said, I'm very okay with the next entry taking a more subdued approach to the designs. I still have yet to see how the artist renders a rugged character, though...

Did I miss a livestream from E3 about this, if so can someone put a link in this thread

As for the art style maybe, I find it kind of boring, I couldn't recognize it as FE. I personally feel like I've seen this art style several times before, and it's really not that appealing to me. 

Edited by Captain Karnage

I like all three of them and if I had to rank them on what little we've seen I would say Edelgard >  Claude >> Dimitri. We don't know anything about their personalities so I'll ignore that.

Edelgard has a pretty cool name and black/red clothes going for her. Oh and gameplay wise she's a female Axe lord...that's really original and neat (I know she can also use swords).

Claude looks very unique with his darker skin, his nice smile and...he's a bow lord?! That's really cool! Curious to see how they'll make bows good now that they have a lord that uses them.

Dimitri Iooks alright. He's the one I'm the least invested in tbh. He does seem to be a lance lord so that's a plus. 

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's hard to have my thoughts on the character's personalities because we know jack shit about them.

Edgelord Edelgard is my favorite of the bunch and that kind of has to do with the amount of fanart she's been getting. And i can see why so many people are interested. Female Axe Lord? Hell yeah!

But other than that, i can't really comment on the characters other than the artstyle, which i like. It....feels a bit like a mix between Kozaki's and Hidari's artstyle.

No kidding. I knew people were going to like her when I watched the trailer but I didn't expect so much fanart to show up so quickly.

Edited by Hekselka

41 minutes ago, AstraSage said:

To be fair, Edelgard does wear something between a very deep hue of Magenta or a very soft Wine Red...

That said, I'm very okay with the next entry taking a more subdued approach to the designs. I still have yet to see how the artist renders a rugged character, though...

Ummm...not really. To be fair, I literally work in graphic design, so I work with colors all day long. So no. It's not even close to a magenta (which has a fair amount of purple and pink hues even in the darker shades). This is a soft red (not like stop-sign red), and maybe you could get away with the shadows being a wine-red, and even then it strays more maroon with grayish tones just based on the color diagram of when I pull the color.

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 11.45.09 AM.png

It's nice to see that Claude's getting quite popular. It makes so much sense too, since he looks like a people-person with that smile of his and yellow cape. 

Edelgard seems to be our rebellious, passionate heroine. Jokes about his hair aside, out of the trio, Dimitri seems like the type to keep Edelgard and Claude in check. 

If this is really set in a military academy,  then I'm excited to see the trio's interactions together.

Byleth, our assumed MU/Avatar, is my favorite though. Pretty boy's just gotta be a sweetheart underneath that intimidating, reserved black and gray outfit. Like Batman (Bruce Wayne).

Here's a little something I found interesting about Byleth's outfit. http://historyoftheemblem.tumblr.com/post/174862797981/byleths-sleeves