Thoughts On Art/Character Design and Character Personalities

5 minutes ago, Sunsurge said:

Ummm...not really. To be fair, I literally work in graphic design, so I work with colors all day long. So no. It's not even close to a magenta (which has a fair amount of purple and pink hues even in the darker shades). This is a soft red (not like stop-sign red), and maybe you could get away with the shadows being a wine-red, and even then it strays more maroon with grayish tones just based on the color diagram of when I pull the color.

Alright , I think I can see a problem: When I think of magenta, I think in how warmer it looks in the CMYK model, which underplays its purple undertones...

That said, now I notice with your example image that Edel's Portrait hints at Magenta without using the exact hue: Soft Red Cape, Lavender Eyes, Purple Ribbons...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this art style a lot. I think one of the reasons why it seems a bit dull for some people is that we have only seen a few portraits and they have all been wearing similar sort of clothes. I also keep seeing comments saying that the style reminds them of Persona. I can sort of seeing where they're coming from. For example, the portraits have that gradient shading down from their chin but the Fates portraits already have that and if anything the style looks a lot more like Fates then Persona (/SMT) to me. All and all, I'd just like to see more of the game.

If the artist designer is indeed Chinatsu, I really can't see there being that much variation in body types, other than tall/short. I couldn't really find any other projects she has worked on, but from what I've seen of Utapri there really didn't seem to be much variation there. But to be honest, if that means women with clothing that makes sense and bishounens, I don't mind that much.

So far Claude's design has been my favourite and he seems like a chill dude. I just hope they fix his model's skin tone in the final release.

The art style doesn't really suit my taste, however it's not the biggest issue that I have with this game's aesthetics. If I have to choose, then Claude's design is probably my favorite so far. Dimitri is least favorite due to terrible hairstyle and color choice. 

1 hour ago, AstraSage said:

Alright , I think I can see a problem: When I think of magenta, I think in how warmer it looks in the CMYK model, which underplays its purple undertones...

That said, now I notice with your example image that Edel's Portrait hints at Magenta without using the exact hue: Soft Red Cape, Lavender Eyes, Purple Ribbons...

Ahh, even in the CMYK model I view it more with pink overtones I suppose so it's brighter to me either way!!

Yeah it definitely does. It uses all the colors that make up magenta for sure. The red cape/lavender eyes/etc. But that's why I like the color scheme because it has a bit more dimensional depth in the colors because they merge rather than clash.!

2 hours ago, Kahvi said:

I like this art style a lot. I think one of the reasons why it seems a bit dull for some people is that we have only seen a few portraits and they have all been wearing similar sort of clothes. I also keep seeing comments saying that the style reminds them of Persona. I can sort of seeing where they're coming from. For example, the portraits have that gradient shading down from their chin but the Fates portraits already have that and if anything the style looks a lot more like Fates then Persona (/SMT) to me. All and all, I'd just like to see more of the game.

If the artist designer is indeed Chinatsu, I really can't see there being that much variation in body types, other than tall/short. I couldn't really find any other projects she has worked on, but from what I've seen of Utapri there really didn't seem to be much variation there. But to be honest, if that means women with clothing that makes sense and bishounens, I don't mind that much.

So far Claude's design has been my favourite and he seems like a chill dude. I just hope they fix his model's skin tone in the final release.

You could check out Aquarion Evol's character arts if you haven't seen that already

I like the artstyle, though I do prefer Kozaki's and Hidari's art more.

So far, Edelgard and Byleth are my favourites, design wise. Byleth especially. I really hope he's a good character, he looks so serious, I love it. Claude and Dimitri...uhh...Claude is alright. Not the best, but not bad either. Dimitri's hair is awful.

So far, I'm really liking where they're going with it, but I'm reserving my judgements for a potential FE direct.

While I liked Fates and Echoes's art more, I don't mind the art we have this time around. It looks a lot like Persona's artstyle and while that's not the best, it's still decent. I can't really judge the characters as characters yet though because we haven't seen enough of them. Edelgard does have my favorite design of the bunch though.

5 hours ago, Raumata said:

It's nice to see that Claude's getting quite popular. It makes so much sense too, since he looks like a people-person with that smile of his and yellow cape. 

Edelgard seems to be our rebellious, passionate heroine. Jokes about his hair aside, out of the trio, Dimitri seems like the type to keep Edelgard and Claude in check. 

If this is really set in a military academy,  then I'm excited to see the trio's interactions together.

I don't see how would he keep her and Claude "in line".  He doesn't look like person ho compromise easily.

Eldelgard seems pretty resolute person, if she decide something she will do it and if Dimitri would stand in her way they will clash (in which case Claude who chill guy would act as middleman).

Other dynamics I can see happen is "serious vs carefree" with Dimitri being Kent and Claude Sain (in which case Eldelgard would be middleman). 

I'm really liking the art style. The comparison to art from Atlus games only makes me like it more.

Based on initial impressions, I think Byleth already has my favorite look out of all the Avatars. Doesn't look as silly as Robin's outfit or as ridiculous as Corrin's. 

I think this art style looks more serious.  It doesn't particularly look beautiful or attractive, however it also seems maybe a better fit for war.  Characters can be disfigured, dark, but it won't look cartoonish or silly like say Jedah or Garon.  You can have young teen characters or kids, but it isn't going to be otaku wet dreams or whatever.  

I think Hidari is the best of all Fire Emblem when it comes to art style (even though I pointed out Jedah), beautiful practical etc.  However I do like this art style cause it seems like a poor fit for the heavy fanservice we have got in Fates or get routinely in Heroes.  That makes me very happy.  

If Chinatsu is the artist, I'm not excited. I loathe Utapri. I think it looks really slimy and stringy. 

I do really like Byleth's design though! As well as Claude's. Edelgard too, I guess. I'm not sure how I feel about their portraits overall though. I'm just kind of ehhhhhh about it. Neutral. The style overall feels simultaneously generic and too Persona-y. FE3H doesn't have a unique style to it, I feel. Lots of people will look at it and be reminded of Persona, which is a bummer. 
I dislike Mercedes' design. We only saw a small snippit of her portrait but it looked Really Not Good imo. Really janky.  
I meant Hilda, not Mercedes. My bad.

Regarding Claude, I'll be really surprised if he isn't gay or bisexual. Everything I know about character design, as well as Japanese character design, just makes him scream "gay" to me. Especially the earring. If he had a mullet, I might say he's straight, since for some reason Japan thinks pretty boys with mullets are rly attractive, and its a really common design element in womanizers. Though, Leon also had a mullet and he was really gay. Just goes to show that sometimes designs can defy your expectations! It seems Japanese character designers have a tendency to make gay/bi characters with dark skin though, and unfortunate implications aside, I feel like that's whats happened here. I'll still love Claude regardless of his sexuality , just.. in different ways. p:

Edited by nyainou

3 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

I don't see how would he keep her and Claude "in line".  He doesn't look like person ho compromise easily.

Eldelgard seems pretty resolute person, if she decide something she will do it and if Dimitri would stand in her way they will clash (in which case Claude who chill guy would act as middleman).

Other dynamics I can see happen is "serious vs carefree" with Dimitri being Kent and Claude Sain (in which case Eldelgard would be middleman). 

Oooh. That makes sense. Yeah. 

The eyes terrify me. Edelgard is awful. Mostly it's the girls' eyes that are just...wrong. Claude's eyes seem okay to my aesthetic sense.

Can't pay attention to anything else (like outfits) because of those godawful eyes freaking me the hell out.

I feel like everyone is hating on Dimitri a bit much, I think he looks fine.

Claude is great, Edelgard is fine, and I do like Byleth.

It's not my favourite art style in the series (that's still Kita Senri and Hidari), but it isn't bad per se. And at the very least the art direcrion is much better than in the 3DS era. It's curious to me that we've seen a lot of characters who look strikingly like past ones: the queen is like a mix of Emmeryn and Mila, the girl looks like Tiki, Blythe is like an angry Marth... I hope this isn't a problem in the final game.

Heh, I think I am more pleased by what I don't see (gratuitous fanservice, legal lolis, insert-crass-anime-trope-here) than what I do.

It's definitely not my preferred art style. I would have preferred Hidari or Senri to come back but I'll just have to get used to it. The colors seem a bit dull, but maybe that's to contribute to a darker story tone? I would appreciate a more somber story this time around.

Character design is pretty middling so far. I'd say Byleth and Adelgard are my favorites, the other two are fine (I might be the only person okay with Dimitri's hair because he reminds me of Rufus Shinra. The rest of his outfit is terrible though). I'm not really a fan of the school/military academy outfit aesthetic, for Fire Emblem at least. These designs would be right at home for a Tales of game but I wouldn't have guessed it was Fire Emblem unless you told me. Looking back, I much prefer the embroidered robes of the Elibe lords, or the functional armor of Tellius characters. I'll just have to wait and see how the other characters look.

So, now, I've concluded I'm not a fan of how the renders look and not the art style itself, because I actually like what designs we've seen. Hopefully, they'll look more polished by the time the game is released but, if not, I mean, it's not a complete deal breaker. But I will likely look at both IntSys and the game with the side eye for years to come.

My only real nitpick is that the main color of the three lords' uniforms is black with different colors being the accent. Yes, I understand it's a uniform, but I think it might have looked better had the colors been inverted or something - like, Edelgard's main color would be red, Dimitri's blue and Claude's yellow. Could have still been a uniform and the colors would represent what country they hail from. Again, not a deal breaker but a nitpick. I'm pretty sure the designs will grow on me more, as they have been since the trailer.

Dmitri and Edelgard's designs have grown on me the most. Edelgard, in particular. Her hair-eye color combo clashed to me, but I've grown accustomed. Dimitri, I think, is my second favorite (after Claude). I like how you can get a general feel for his personality simply from his expression and how he wears his uniform: rigid, by-the-books and likely with sarcastic or dry humor. I could be wrong about that - they could subvert that - but I'm really diggin' him now.

Uh, I think that's all I'll say for now, to be honest.

Edited by saisymbolic
clarification

13 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

You could check out Aquarion Evol's character arts if you haven't seen that already

I wasn't aware she worked on that or that such series existed. I'll definitely check that out later.

After going back over the trailer a couple of times...Dimitri's design is growing on me, particularly his actual ingame model, Claude too.

I'm withholding my opinion on Mercedes and Hilda until I see more than a portrait. Hopefully we actually get full character art this time around, unlike Fates.

...Byleth is still my favourite. What a beauty. He looks like Alm, which is always a plus.

I really like Dimitri's design. I'm one of the few that really likes his hair, it seems, while I love the dark blue and black design of his outfit. He's my favourite, so far, of the three.

He looks like he's going to be the serious type, which I tend to really like. I'm hoping for a Christmas Knight dynamic between him and Claude (along the lines of Kent and Sain, especially). I like the idea of Edalgard (I'm sorry, I do keep reading this as Edgelord >.<) being the middle person. Her and Claude have great designs too - I really like them.

That being said, I adore Uta no Prince Sama, so I probably would...

Byleth looks a lot like Jude from ToX to me, which isn't a bad thing. I wonder how customisable he will be. I hope that remains the default design, though, since I quite like it :)

Edited by Cute Chao

20 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I really like Dimitri's design. I'm one of the few that really likes his hair, it seems, while I love the dark blue and black design of his outfit. He's my favourite, so far, of the three.

He looks like he's going to be the serious type, which I tend to really like. I'm hoping for a Christmas Knight dynamic between him and Claude (along the lines of Kent and Sain, especially). I like the idea of Edalgard (I'm sorry, I do keep reading this as Edgelord >.<) being the middle person. Her and Claude have great designs too - I really like them.

That being said, I adore Uta no Prince Sama, so I probably would...

Byleth looks a lot like Jude from ToX to me, which isn't a bad thing. I wonder how customisable he will be. I hope that remains the default design, though, since I quite like it :)

Same! Dimitri looks really good to me. I thought that he had a pretty normal hairstyle tbh.

26 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Same! Dimitri looks really good to me. I thought that he had a pretty normal hairstyle tbh.

Agreed. It surprised me when so many people took issue with it xD

I'm neutral about the new art style, I definitely prefer Kozaki and Hidari more over this artist. I'm not really a fan of how the artist draws and colors eyes, the irises feel empty and lifeless for how big they are. The line works of the portraits are extremely sloppy and inconsistent if you pay slight attention to them, and judging from Dimitri's design, the artist is lacking in skill in terms of drawing and designing armor. Also, with so many people pointing out and making comparisons to Persona, Fire Emblem has kind of lost its distinct niche look.

The characters all lack something... They don't really pop out for me and don't really make me feel enticed to learn more of them compared to the elegant and mysterious blue haired dancer, or all the royal siblings in the Fates reveal. In previous entries, all the characters all popped and shone distinctively, but these characters are just... average. I feel more enticed to learn more about the Emmeryn-esque queen, sword-whip dude and sleepy Manakete than the three main protagonists.

The designs are gradually growing on me, though I'm still not a fan of how Eld's (I can't remember her name on the top of my head) hair, skin color and irises are just a combination of extremely pale and bland colors, Dimitri looks like if Fernand and Clive had a child and Claude looks the most unique of the three, though personally I wish I could just cut that braid off. 'Teacher' just has a messy and incoherent color scheme going on.

If I were to take a shot in guessing their personalities, Eld is probably going to be the keen and studious of the three, Dimitri is grumpy and serious, and Claude is going to be outgoing. I'm also hoping future character reveals down the line will have much simpler naming conventions 'cause I can barely remember their names besides Claude.

Edited by thanny