What the story is about...

This is just my take on it from what I gathered with the trailer!

The description says this is a country ruled by the church of Seiros, who was the woman who received a gift by the goddess, meaning the kingdom is a theocracy.

First, it seems a lot of people think the lady at the beginning with the dragon crown is the goddess herself, but if you take a look at her clothes, you'll notice they're identical to the ones Seiros is wearing on the painting:

Meaning the lady is actually the descendant of Seiros or Seiros herself, and that along with the crown means she's the queen ruling over this kingdom, since, as the description says, the kingdom is ruled by the church of Seiros.

Now this queen is clearly at war with some other people with some barbaric designs; one of them even tried to attack her and a soldier stopped him. It can be assumed some are not happy with the church ruling over them, which is of course to be expected. But what I noticed through the trailer is that our three key characters (Edelgarde, Claude and Dimitri) are also shown fighting against the kingdom. Dimitri and Claude are shown fighting against an unit called "Kingdom soldier", whose design correspond with the same one who was defending the queen. Edelgarde, on the other hand, is seen fighting against Mercedes, whose clothes look to me kind of like that of a nun, and her overall design fits better that of the church than that of the enemies with their barbaric designs:

Then we have Edelgarde talking about what a horrible world it was, and she says: "some believe the crests, tokens of the goddess' power, are necessary to maintain order. But they're wrong. The crests are to blame." Meaning she doesn't agree with the church at least partially. She would later warn her teacher that if they're to follow "this path", one misstep would take them to ruin.

And speaking about the teacher. His name is Byleth, which is another name for Beleth, the king of Hell, who had a vast knowledge and the ability to command legions, which agrees with him both being a teacher and a tactician, so it's not a coincidence. But the fact it comes from a demon lord makes it ideal for him to be the one going against the church and the goddess it serves.

Byleth can be seen fighting against a kingdom soldier too, with a design also seen before:

So what I want to make clear is that, maybe not at the beginning, but at some point, our three key characters will be on the same side, fighting the church, so it's not like Fates in which you choose sides, and it will not be a war against the houses, but against the church. Also, since Edelgard represents Spring (according to the japanese title, which is Four Seasons), it will probably start with her, then we'll get Claude (Autumn) at our side and lastly, Dimitri (Winter).

As for the queen, I don't mean to say she's evil. Maybe she's wrong, or waiting for something, it's happened in past games. But it did striked me as weird that she, who looks so benevolent, like Elice or Emmeryn or something, shows no sign of sadness or pain while watching the massacre unfolding around her, her face doesn't even show seriousness or severity, nothing. It doesn't mean much now, just that it's weird.

Sorry for the links instead of the images, and for any grammatical errors, since English is not my first language.

And well... that's my take. If all of this was already discussed somewhere, I'm sorry, I get lost easily! If not, I would love to talk about it, your own thoughts and theories, I just want to talk about this game so bad haha. Thank you for reading!

Edited by Chopper...
A link didn't work

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also had a feeling the woman was "evil" in some way. Hopefully they go for a morally gray story (which contemporary culture favors more than classic "good" vs "bad" ones). If this is true, I love the fact her design is very "good guy", but actually isn't necessarily. 

This theory also helps clear up why the teacher character is named Byleth. Upon reading it's based on a king of hell, I reserved opinions of him being the bad guy similar to Robin/Grima, as many people have been led to believe. Another reason is I don't think IS would make such a theoretical plot twist so obvious from the first trailer.

Nice write up!

Good analysis. I agree that the queenly woman is probably an enemy. It's interesting that the lords and avatar don't really look like the typical honourable/naive protagonists we get. Hopefully this is a more serious and morally grey story.

Not sure if intentional, but the way the characters' eyes were designed in this style makes the queen seem almost... psychopathic in the cutscene where she obtains the sword:

U1F7hhp.png

Thank you for answering!!

2 hours ago, Darthkeeper said:

I also had a feeling the woman was "evil" in some way. Hopefully they go for a morally gray story (which contemporary culture favors more than classic "good" vs "bad" ones). If this is true, I love the fact her design is very "good guy", but actually isn't necessarily. 

This theory also helps clear up why the teacher character is named Byleth. Upon reading it's based on a king of hell, I reserved opinions of him being the bad guy similar to Robin/Grima, as many people have been led to believe. Another reason is I don't think IS would make such a theoretical plot twist so obvious from the first trailer.

Nice write up!

Thank you!! C:

Well, the trailer definitely shows all the characters at some point, including Blythe, fighting against kingdom soldiers, so you can rest assured they won't pull off Robin/Grima card! Haha, I was scared of that myself. I'm hoping it's the queen the one who turns out evil, but I wonder if IntSys is ready to do that, since they're always so obvious with the characters designs, that's why I think maybe they'll say she's not bad but has her reasons...

2 hours ago, Book Bro said:

Good analysis. I agree that the queenly woman is probably an enemy. It's interesting that the lords and avatar don't really look like the typical honourable/naive protagonists we get. Hopefully this is a more serious and morally grey story.

I really, really hope so!! Or that, if we're going to go for the path of evil, we really go full evil, in a sort of Shin Megami Tensei way, like I thought Conquest was going to be before its release. That would be very cool, to me.

1 hour ago, Ryo said:

Not sure if intentional, but the way the characters' eyes were designed in this style makes the queen seem almost... psychopathic in the cutscene where she obtains the sword:

Reveal hidden contents

U1F7hhp.png

Haha, I did think the same! Maybe it's just the characters' design, but it's also strange how she's hugging that weapon and smiling, why would she even do that? And it was the same weapon used by the old man fighting in the war, according to the analysis made here by VincentASM, which makes it more confusing.

One of my first thoughts when I saw the trailer was hoping IS would finally subvert their trope of the sacrificial, motherly-type character being pure good and the ruthless, conqueror character being pure evil (with the exception of Rudolph). At this point the trope is pretty stale, so I seriously hope they end up doing this game differently.

I certainly do hope this doesn't devolve into the typical jrpg trope of organised religion = evil, fire emblem has handled religion way better in the past and it would be a shame for it to just be what every jrpg in the early 2000s did. It may not be like this, but it seems possible. 

Maybe they should've made more than Three Houses, and maybe there are, but the most powerful three are the most important in the realm. Which is a bit disappointing because it seems like the world design is very simplistic with just three houses or factions. I think as the MU, you decide which house or lord to work with, and that essentially takes the rest of the plot on it's own course, but regardless of which house you choose you end up dealing with some mystical force related to that goddess lady. People are saying it's about fighting against organized religion that seems like something IS would do, yep. 

My hope is that character designs will at least make up for a cliche plot. Like maybe we don't have to have a completely ruthless conqueror type character that is just pure evil for the sake of being evil, or possessed by some dark god. Maybe each character has their good attributes and actions, but also their bad, and we don't get perfect lords who can only understand good deeds.

Thank you fir your replies!! :D::D:

57 minutes ago, Shinwoo said:

One of my first thoughts when I saw the trailer was hoping IS would finally subvert their trope of the sacrificial, motherly-type character being pure good and the ruthless, conqueror character being pure evil (with the exception of Rudolph). At this point the trope is pretty stale, so I seriously hope they end up doing this game differently.

I agree! I don't know if IntSys is ready to finally change that up, since for example every Fire Emblem game so far has basically the same plot (fighting a war between nations then have the true boss revealed to be an evil dragon god), and I mean, that's 12 games not counting remakes. I don't think that'll change, but I have hopes they at least change that Mikoto and Garon trope, with this trailer.

33 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I certainly do hope this doesn't devolve into the typical jrpg trope of organised religion = evil, fire emblem has handled religion way better in the past and it would be a shame for it to just be what every jrpg in the early 2000s did. It may not be like this, but it seems possible. 

Well, actually, Fire Emblem has always painted religion and their people as incredibly benevolent and perfect, which is not realistic to me. This would be a change for them, and it wouldn't be as black and white as the grimleal who were a cult so obviously siding with evil (Grima). What I'm hoping for is an imperfect religion in this game, with the evil people being in the church but not being the church itself or the goddess herself.

31 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Really hoping you're right. After Emmeryn and Mikoto we need something more surprising.

I agreeeeee!

11 minutes ago, Ae†her said:

Maybe they should've made more than Three Houses, and maybe there are, but the most powerful three are the most important in the realm. Which is a bit disappointing because it seems like the world design is very simplistic with just three houses or factions. I think as the MU, you decide which house or lord to work with, and that essentially takes the rest of the plot on it's own course, but regardless of which house you choose you end up dealing with some mystical force related to that goddess lady. People are saying it's about fighting against organized religion that seems like something IS would do, yep. 

My hope is that character designs will at least make up for a cliche plot. Like maybe we don't have to have a completely ruthless conqueror type character that is just pure evil for the sake of being evil, or possessed by some dark god. Maybe each character has their good attributes and actions, but also their bad, and we don't get perfect lords who can only understand good deeds.

Luckily, it's just the first trailer and it showed very little. I think many of the past games have done a good job of involving many houses and important people into the war, and we have yet to see many more characters than the 4 units we saw. I get what you mean, though, the most important aspect for me in FE is the political tension between nations and their involvement, and I did have a hard time feeling that in the trailer.

4 minutes ago, Boring Panda said:

Well, actually, Fire Emblem has always painted religion and their people as incredibly benevolent and perfect, which is not realistic to me. This would be a change for them, and it wouldn't be as black and white as the grimleal who were a cult so obviously siding with evil (Grima). What I'm hoping for is an imperfect religion in this game, with the evil people being in the church but not being the church itself or the goddess herself.

not really, Shadows of Valentia portrayed religion in a much more nuanced light, giving us both mila and duma, each portraying an extreme, with mila being benevolent but destructive, showering her people with blessings in excess leading them to fall into depravity and gluttony, and duma being harsh but well meaning, deciding that his people need to learn to live on their own so that they can learn how to become strong enough to survive, this lead to a people who were cold and somewhat barbaric at times.

Radiant Dawn also looked at things in a more interesting way, in how followers of a religion may lose track of what is true about the religion, or even twist it to justify their actions, the begnion senators (who are said to be appointed by the goddess) using the goddess to act like they are higher than others, even though they are the biggest sinners, participating in things like purchasing laguz slaves, this would be the main reason for how most of the events of radiant dawn occur, ultimately culminating in an enraged goddess threatening to destroy the world because of an ancient pack that only a handful of people were even aware of, and then during the time of judgement the goddess appointed these senators to be the generals of her army and this was only because they were so lost to their own egos to see that they were being used and would end up dead as their reward for their arrogance. 

huh, now that I think about it, the possibility of this being a tellius follow up isn't completely outlandish if you look at these things, I mean all the theories could work, the dragon tribe was the most loyal to the goddess, only two didn't join her, that would explain their placement on the mural, the map could be reasoned as a tellius after the water began receding causing land to collapse and new islands to form, eh, it's a thought. I guess it doesn't really matter, it would be like being overly excited for awakening being an arkenea follow up, it really doesn't matter because there isn't much left of the original anyways, unless you just have to have a twisted version of the falchion lying around.

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

not really, Shadows of Valentia portrayed religion in a much more nuanced light, giving us both mila and duma, each portraying an extreme, with mila being benevolent but destructive, showering her people with blessings in excess leading them to fall into depravity and gluttony, and duma being harsh but well meaning, deciding that his people need to learn to live on their own so that they can learn how to become strong enough to survive, this lead to a people who were cold and somewhat barbaric at times.

Radiant Dawn also looked at things in a more interesting way, in how followers of a religion may lose track of what is true about the religion, or even twist it to justify their actions, the begnion senators (who are said to be appointed by the goddess) using the goddess to act like they are higher than others, even though they are the biggest sinners, participating in things like purchasing laguz slaves, this would be the main reason for how most of the events of radiant dawn occur, ultimately culminating in an enraged goddess threatening to destroy the world because of an ancient pack that only a handful of people were even aware of, and then during the time of judgement the goddess appointed these senators to be the generals of her army and this was only because they were so lost to their own egos to see that they were being used and would end up dead as their reward for their arrogance. 

huh, now that I think about it, the possibility of this being a tellius follow up isn't completely outlandish if you look at these things, I mean all the theories could work, the dragon tribe was the most loyal to the goddess, only two didn't join her, that would explain their placement on the mural, the map could be reasoned as a tellius after the water began receding causing land to collapse and new islands to form, eh, it's a thought. I guess it doesn't really matter, it would be like being overly excited for awakening being an arkenea follow up, it really doesn't matter because there isn't much left of the original anyways, unless you just have to have a twisted version of the falchion lying around.

You're right, I forgot about Gaiden (I've yet to play the remake, though). As for PoR and RD, those are coincidentially the only games of the series I never played because I didn't own a Wii :(: but from what you are saying, then FE did have the trope of "organised religion = evil", since you say the begnion seniors were the biggest sinners and etc. It sounds very interesting and dark (which is something I really like), but as I said before I'm hoping for an imperfect religion with maybe both sides having a grey moral both in actions and reasons.

1 hour ago, Ryo said:

Whoever the evil party is, I hope the story won't devolve into a final battle against a dragon... again.

Now this is something I don't think will ever change... but it would be great. I mean, not even Link fights ganon in aaall the zelda games. But who knows!

6 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I have a similar concern and I'm really hoping that the whole 'evil church' trope doesn't end up being the case for the story, or at least there's some kind of twist that makes it not that as the situation unfolds.  It's old and I'm so tired of seeing it, and what I've read and seen so far about Three Houses is already discouraging.  I was so hyped when I first saw the trailer screenshots and the characters.

However, I'm going to wait around, try not to get too bummed out this early, and hope for the best.  I don't care much for the moral grays in stories unless they're done well.  I want a good story first.

Great write up, this has been my general belief about the story as well

What I really hope is that the Church isn't Evil with a capital E, but more so that they are just really zealous and fanatical to a major fault and won't/can't see the error of their ways.

I really like the theory I saw on here or Reddit that the "Crests" from the Goddess aren't simply emblems or tokens imbued with divine power of some kind but are actual relics/weapons made from her very bones and remains. The chief evidence for this is the bone whip blade we see in the trailer that the barbarian/highlander Leader uses to devastating effect, but which we also see this supposed Seiros, or Church Leader, embracing in a very creepy and eerie manner. Kind of like she's embracing the very bones of her Goddess. The idea that the Goddess is dead is great to me as I really would like a game where the main antagonist and final boss isn't possessed by Evil itself or Yin to some purely good Deities Yang, but rather just a messed up person. Let the gods be dead, or at the very least in the background, and let the people and their own imperfections and motivations rule/ruin the day.

Have Seiros and the Church/Kingdom just be a group of fanatics that revere these regalia made of their dead God and have taken whatever Dogma they follow too far, twisted and corrupted through years of dominance and power, with just a bit of every day greed, lust for power and megalomania coloring that. I really don't want a whole "the Church and religion is just a lie and a front for something nefarious" or "the god is actually evil and tricking/possessing everyone." Rather "Hey the Church is out of control and doing more harm than good and have lost sight of whatever mission and message the Goddess may have bestowed upon us." 

But we probably won't get that. There's way too much stuff in the trailer that hints at Deities or higher beings of some kind are going to play a role and that there's probably some big bad Evil pulling some stuff behind the scenes. Even if they do try to subvert expectations by having the Church and this Seiros maybe not be the good guys.

I agree with everything you said, but I would like to add some of my own thoughts. First I want to note that the sword-whip the old guy is using in one scene is the same sword the queen lady is holding in another scene. So some things don't add up here. How is the sword in the old guy's hands one second and in the queen's hands in another? My answer is that before the game's setting, the queen and old guy were at war, the old guy loses and the queen gains possession of the sword. So in the early game the queen holds a lot of power over the continent. Because looking back at the reveal trailers for Awakening and Fates, they mostly show scenes from opening cutscenes and the early game. So I think that the cutscenes shown in the trailer are part of the opening cutscene for the game. Thus really focusing on the story and the world through events in the past. 

9 hours ago, Ae†her said:

There's a possibility that a fouth house exist in the japanese name it mention the four season (summer's wind, autumn's moon, spring's flowers and winter's snow) there's a theory about each of the protagonists been a season Edelgard (spring), Dimitri (winter) and Claude (autumn) so there's one left and thats the avatar, been the avatar means that he's customisable but the default hair color is green (wind¿?) and obviously a fourth house (maybe destroyed long time ago or hidden just like Valla).

1 hour ago, Enduin said:

What I really hope is that the Church isn't Evil with a capital E, but more so that they are just really zealous and fanatical to a major fault and won't/can't see the error of their ways.

I really like the theory I saw on here or Reddit that the "Crests" from the Goddess aren't simply emblems or tokens imbued with divine power of some kind but are actual relics/weapons made from her very bones and remains. The chief evidence for this is the bone whip blade we see in the trailer that the barbarian/highlander Leader uses to devastating effect, but which we also see this supposed Seiros, or Church Leader, embracing in a very creepy and eerie manner. Kind of like she's embracing the very bones of her Goddess. The idea that the Goddess is dead is great to me as I really would like a game where the main antagonist and final boss isn't possessed by Evil itself or Yin to some purely good Deities Yang, but rather just a messed up person. Let the gods be dead, or at the very least in the background, and let the people and their own imperfections and motivations rule/ruin the day.

Have Seiros and the Church/Kingdom just be a group of fanatics that revere these regalia made of their dead God and have taken whatever Dogma they follow too far, twisted and corrupted through years of dominance and power, with just a bit of every day greed, lust for power and megalomania coloring that. I really don't want a whole "the Church and religion is just a lie and a front for something nefarious" or "the god is actually evil and tricking/possessing everyone." Rather "Hey the Church is out of control and doing more harm than good and have lost sight of whatever mission and message the Goddess may have bestowed upon us." 

But we probably won't get that. There's way too much stuff in the trailer that hints at Deities or higher beings of some kind are going to play a role and that there's probably some big bad Evil pulling some stuff behind the scenes. Even if they do try to subvert expectations by having the Church and this Seiros maybe not be the good guys.

That's what I want, not a blatant evil, but an imperfect religion. And that theory about the crests is incredible! I really hope it turns out like that, and it would make sense because the whip blade does look like a spine, and the crests are supposed to be tokens that signify the "power of the goddess", which could truly mean her very own bones. It would be so great if she were dead and gods were not to interfere, but then we have that sleeping manakete girl at the end, which I personally don't like because it just looks like she's going to fullfill the same role as Tiki, or maybe she's the goddess herself. I hope it's something else entirely, but...

1 hour ago, halvey said:

I agree with everything you said, but I would like to add some of my own thoughts. First I want to note that the sword-whip the old guy is using in one scene is the same sword the queen lady is holding in another scene. So some things don't add up here. How is the sword in the old guy's hands one second and in the queen's hands in another? My answer is that before the game's setting, the queen and old guy were at war, the old guy loses and the queen gains possession of the sword. So in the early game the queen holds a lot of power over the continent. Because looking back at the reveal trailers for Awakening and Fates, they mostly show scenes from opening cutscenes and the early game. So I think that the cutscenes shown in the trailer are part of the opening cutscene for the game. Thus really focusing on the story and the world through events in the past. 

That's actually what I'm suspecting too! that it could be that old man either dies in the first chapters of the game like Mikoto, or is dead since before the game even begins. What I'm sure about is the fact that no matter when, he dies, and that's how the queen gets the sword. That's why I don't even consider him that important. What I believe is that the three key characters will eventually continue where that old man left or something. 

I really like everything you had to say here, and appreciate the screenshots. 

I think major organized religion tends to be kind of questionable. I don't dislike religion, and I believe everyone has a right to practice whichever religion they see fit.. but I'm excited at the prospect of 3H dealing with this issue. Why it can be a bad thing to have the state controlled by the church, what things can happen if religious zealots are left unchecked, even enabled. I'm not fond of "religion BAD!" stories, but I hope that they can handle this angle with nuance and grey-morality. 

I don't really want to judge the supposed queen's design based off of the 3D CG. I mean, think back to how.. gross Mila looked in SoV during cutscenes vs. her official art.

Spoiler

https://imgur.com/a/ixGMDCC (sorry for use of thumbnail, couldn't find any other decent img of CG Mila. Its from Pheonixmaster1's playthrough and the video is here.

If you watch Mila cutscenes in action, she looks especially weird. And since they haven't learned their lesson from SoV's bad cutscenes (at least for this trailer's build, I hope), I'm not gonna jump the gun on judgments.

53 minutes ago, Laptopispy said:

You know, it's possible that the sword and whip-sword aren't the same thing, but are just both made from the same spine.

Oh, you're right!! I haven't thought of that! maybe twin blades? But yes, it could be, a dragon spine should be very long. I do hope the tokens are different objects, though, maybe one of them being a bow for Claude, an axe or sword for Edelgarde, and so own.

47 minutes ago, Serea-chan said:

Maybe she's nuzzling the blade, that looks extremely similar to the one the Rudolf-esque character wields, because she loves him? Or loved who he was in the past? 

That thought did cross my mind the first time I saw the trailer; maybe they loved each other but their differences made them take opposite sides? :c

27 minutes ago, nyainou said:

I really like everything you had to say here, and appreciate the screenshots. 

I think major organized religion tends to be kind of questionable. I don't dislike religion, and I believe everyone has a right to practice whichever religion they see fit.. but I'm excited at the prospect of 3H dealing with this issue. Why it can be a bad thing to have the state controlled by the church, what things can happen if religious zealots are left unchecked, even enabled. I'm not fond of "religion BAD!" stories, but I hope that they can handle this angle with nuance and grey-morality. 

I don't really want to judge the supposed queen's design based off of the 3D CG. I mean, think back to how.. gross Mila looked in SoV during cutscenes vs. her official art.

Reveal hidden contents

https://imgur.com/a/ixGMDCC (sorry for use of thumbnail, couldn't find any other decent img of CG Mila. Its from Pheonixmaster1's playthrough and the video is here.

If you watch Mila cutscenes in action, she looks especially weird. And since they haven't learned their lesson from SoV's bad cutscenes (at least for this trailer's build, I hope), I'm not gonna jump the gun on judgments.

Thank you very much :D:!!

I also think a theocracy can't be perfect, realistically speaking, and history proves it. So it would be very interesting to see how they portray it in the game. It doesn't have to be the "the church is actually evil" trope, it could be them just being wrong, which is what I think it will end up being. I just really hope they don't make everything black-and-white.

I'm glad you pointed out the queen lady not being the goddess. I thought it strange how everyone assumed that even though the mural depicts the goddess with brown hair, not platinum blonde. The queen lady has an eerie calmness to her in the battle, and she's definitely not dressed for it. I thought before that this meant that she wasn't physically there and was simply watching over the battle (especially since the voice over for that part had then talking about the goddess governing over all souls) but another part has what looks like someone specifically attacking her so I don't know. I think there is something supernatural about her at any rate. Was her cradling that sword a humanizing element or fanatical devotion to something?

11 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

This worries me a lot, actually. Tellius and SoV had a more nuanced look at organized religion but I fear we'll get a "corrupt fanatical church" that we fight like the good teenage rebels we are. I would prefer that, if the church is going to be the central antagonistic group, that we see their wrongdoings as the influence of some messed up individuals, with many exceptions to the organization, rather than a secret religion of evil.

3 hours ago, Enduin said:

I like these ideas. Human drama is generally more interesting than supernatural threats so I'd prefer the gods be relics of the past, show how humanity has picked up the pieces, and the conflicts that start because of human nature.

11 hours ago, Ryo said:

Whoever the evil party is, I hope the story won't devolve into a final battle against a dragon... again.

And when we are up to this, we can also remove lords, supports, Fire emblem and weapon triangle. We don't need things that makes Fire Emblem Fire Emblem in our Fire Emblem... again.

This is a pretty interesting analysis. Although I thought some of this, I didn't realize the possibility that Mila 2.0 could be in fact, evil, and Berserker Rudolf will be an ally. This makes me a lot more interested in the characters of the story, because Fire Emblem has a tendency to make the pretty & flower-y characters good guys while the fire & brimstone types the bad guys. It's usually very obvious who's good and who's bad, but now I'm realizing that this may not be the case with this game. 

Furthermore, looking at some of the other enemy NPCs shown (Mercedes, Hilda, and some of the other guys), this definitely seems to be true. Because the more I look at the trailer, the less they look recruitable. This is pretty interesting, because this makes identifying recruitable enemies harder, and there's a lot more female enemies as well. The enemy definitely looks cartoonishy evil, so the characters seem enough to get excited about.