Click to look at Fódlan!

Ok, so, here's the map of Fódlan(?), right. So, this continent goes on right? 

Click to look at the surroundings of Fódlan!

And to the east there's a continent named Palmica. I might be crazy, but doesn't Palmica look strangely like...

Click here to look at FE 10 Tellius Map!

But reversed, I guess. What is "Palmica" Could easily be Begnion and Daein, with the southern Islands being those islands that we see below Palmica(don't judge my spelling okay, reading what the map says is difficult). Leicester in the east of Fódlan is slightly brighter than the rest of the map suggesting a desert, and then in the Tellius Saga they clearly state that there is a desert to the east. I mean it's kind of a long shot, and there would have to be a reason for Tellius to be flipped on Fódlan's map(it could be as easy as it's simply just perspective). Or, I might just be crazy. But, I've been thinking about this like all day.

(All of the links except the surrounding Fódlan one should just be Serenes Forest links so they should really not be harmful)

I think a link to Nintendo's website should be safe : P

Yeah, I can see some similarities, although I'm personally not sure how intentional it is.

Actually, the more I look at Fodlan, the more it looks like Western Europe. Albine(?) in the north-west corner is a dead ringer for the United Kingdom.

2 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I think a link to Nintendo's website should be safe : P

Yeah, I can see some similarities, although I'm personally not sure how intentional it is.

Actually, the more I look at Fodlan, the more it looks like Western Europe. Albine(?) in the north-west corner is a dead ringer for the United Kingdom.

Considering you and Thane were bemoaning all the Germanic-sounding names, I think the Western Europe analogy is probably the intended one.

I think the area you're talking about is named Palmira which is similar to the real life city of Palmyra in Syria. As such I think the region is supposed to represent a desert region with maybe an Arabian night theme or just the clasical FE desert setting like Jehena. 

If we're to tie Fodlan to any continent I think it would be more likely to be Fateslandia. Fateslandia also has a landmass connected to it rather than being an island continent like Elibe or Archenea. It could be that Nohr's western border extends to Palmira, and behind Palmira lies Fodlan. Connecting Tellius with Fodlan wouldn't work as well because the landmass that stretches from Daien is on the wrong side to be connected to Fodlan. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think the area you're talking about is named Palmira which is similar to the real life city of Palmyra in Syria. As such I think the region is supposed to represent a desert region with maybe an Arabian night theme or just the clasical FE desert setting like Jehena. 

If we're to tie Fodlan to any continent I think it would be more likely to be Fateslandia. Fateslandia also has a landmass connected to it rather than being an island continent like Elibe or Archenea. It could be that Nohr's western border extends to Palmira, and behind Palmira lies Fodlan. Connecting Tellius with Fodlan wouldn't work as well because the landmass that stretches from Daien is on the wrong side to be connected to Fodlan. 

Interesting, buuuuut, isn't Nestra the country bordering Nohr?

something that I noticed about the goddess in the trailer (apologies for the bad quality, I had to make it a .gif so it would fit)3hgoddess.GIF.3a19e9601889fa758c6838a391bc41e6.GIF

Ashunera.png.b4edbf8abc8081eb02c26b3c0563edff.pngshe looks a bit like ashunera, the hair color seems about right, though the mural could pass for brown due to the lack of clear colors, though there, it is about as outlandish as the world map, but I think it is an interesting thing to look at, I would say that any differences could be due to the mural being more stylized, though, I can't tell if the back of the hair is the similar enough or covered, the outfit seems like it could translate well enough to a more stylized ideal, either way, I think it's interesting, the fact alone that we can even make tellius parallels, does say something about potential similarities.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Connecting Tellius with Fodlan wouldn't work as well because the landmass that stretches from Daien is on the wrong side to be connected to Fodlan. 

Unless the continents shifted in relation to the poles. Dunno how a continent could "spin", though... Or maybe something crazy caused the north and south poles to reverse. The Ending Winter reversed the seasons; maybe something could reverse a planet's polarity. These are my arguments for Tellius=Jugdral. My point is, there are possibilities no matter how wild. Are they likely? ...I'd say not very.

@topic: If you turn Fodlan upside-down, it very loosely resembles Isaac in Jugdral. Actually, there are two ways to line it up.

Alternatively... Un-rotated (well actually about 30 degrees rotation), Fodlan could also EXTREMELY LOOSELY resemble Tellius: Blaidad is to the east of Melior, Clayman(?) is Canteus, and then...the outcropping that Tatana is on got shaved off the coastline; in the  south, we have the outcropping that Enbavo(?) is on being Kilvas&the unnamed island broken off the mainland. But. There are too many other things on the coast lines that don't line up--mainly the northeast corner, where'd all the water come from/go to? Theeeen there's the mountain ranges. Right down the middle of Fodlan, whereas in Tellius they are definitely off to the west. ...Unless Morpheus split off of Begnion? But that's backwards to Kilvas splitting off. ...That does it! I'm done with this.

...Or...not. Wait. This is adding to my Tellius=Jugdral theory... ...Guys, put me out of my misery.

Edited by Sock

11 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Considering you and Thane were bemoaning all the Germanic-sounding names, I think the Western Europe analogy is probably the intended one.

I'm sorry, but what? Could you quote me on this, because I'm very happy for the Germanic names. I think Edelgard, noble garden, is a fantastic name.

Are you perhaps referring to where I said it was difficult to transcribe Edelgard and Dimitri's last names in katakana? Because it was, if you didn't know what mythological references they were making, which I didn't.

I thought the actual shape looks like Tellius itself. There's some obvious differences though.

Granted, in order for this theory to stand, there's going to need to be some sort of wolf nation that Nailah hails from. Nailah came from her own kingdom right? Not just a tribe? Although I suppose this can change if this takes place in a distant time from Tellius. Borders and countries change over centuries, so it's possible that Nailah's kingdom may have already met a demise or hasn't risen yet, but there should be some sort of wolf kin there.

I do want it to take place in Fates' world, mainly so it adds to Fates' worldbuilding. If Palmira to the east here is a desert (Palmyra in Syria is a desert area IIRC, which seems like the inspiration for the name) and we know that Fates has a desert to the southwest, so it would be Fates to the East and Fodlan to the West, with a desert separating them. Deserts often make great geographic obstacles, so it's not out of the question for there not to be any connection to the East without proper boats (it's unknown if boats are in the equation.) And we know there's a body of water to the west in Fates as well, and it matches up here.

9 hours ago, Sock said:

Unless the continents shifted in relation to the poles. Dunno how a continent could "spin", though... Or maybe something crazy caused the north and south poles to reverse. The Ending Winter reversed the seasons; maybe something could reverse a planet's polarity. These are my arguments for Tellius=Jugdral. My point is, there are possibilities no matter how wild. Are they likely? ...I'd say not very.

@topic: If you turn Fodlan upside-down, it very loosely resembles Isaac in Jugdral. Actually, there are two ways to line it up.

Alternatively... Un-rotated (well actually about 30 degrees rotation), Fodlan could also EXTREMELY LOOSELY resemble Tellius: Blaidad is to the east of Melior, Clayman(?) is Canteus, and then...the outcropping that Tatana is on got shaved off the coastline; in the  south, we have the outcropping that Enbavo(?) is on being Kilvas&the unnamed island broken off the mainland. But. There are too many other things on the coast lines that don't line up--mainly the northeast corner, where'd all the water come from/go to? Theeeen there's the mountain ranges. Right down the middle of Fodlan, whereas in Tellius they are definitely off to the west. ...Unless Morpheus split off of Begnion? But that's backwards to Kilvas splitting off. ...That does it! I'm done with this.

...Or...not. Wait. This is adding to my Tellius=Jugdral theory... ...Guys, put me out of my misery.

The poles actually do flip over time. Earth's poles are supposed to be flipping relatively soon.

I think Jugdral would be too outlandish, but Tellius might work. The town to the north east of Daein is named Palmeni, which is relatively close to Palmiva. But that's not really much to go on, and if we're assuming Palmiva is Begnion then its not even in the center. Another thing that could have happened is tectonic plates shifting. Maybe Reicester broke off of or crashed into the rest of Fodlan (depending on which comes first). If they truly are the same then the water level must be higher during the Tellius era. We can see this as Begnion has a waterway cut through it on its right side, and Palmiva does not. Begnion also has the lake Semper, which also isn't present in Palmiva, but Palmiva does have a river running through it at almost the exact same location, indicating a lowered ground level. We can take that and apply it to the west too. Even if the plates didn't shift, what if a higher water level caused the continent to the west to not be reachable or visible during the Tellius era.

6 hours ago, Thane said:

I'm sorry, but what? Could you quote me on this, because I'm very happy for the Germanic names. I think Edelgard, noble garden, is a fantastic name.

Are you perhaps referring to where I said it was difficult to transcribe Edelgard and Dimitri's last names in katakana? Because it was, if you didn't know what mythological references they were making, which I didn't.

That's what I meant, yeah. Probably could've worded it a bit better.

Hm, I'm seeing a western Europe vibe as well. Albino is an island just off the North East (UK); Threne is a peninsula to the north (Denmark/Scandinavia);  Palmiva looks like it could represent Russia; Brigit is a coastal empire with emphasis on the seas (Portugal); and Morpheus may well be Turkey. Also, BargMac looks like a small, decisively neutral country in the centre of everything, like Switzerland. Maybe the avatar will hail from BargMac?

Edited by The_antithesis

5 hours ago, The DanMan said:

That's what I meant, yeah. Probably could've worded it a bit better.

Maybe. There's a slight difference between being confused by how two names - one of them probably Welsh, I think - are transcribed in katakana and bemoaning Germanic-sounding names.

12 minutes ago, Thane said:

Maybe. There's a slight difference between being confused by how two names - one of them probably Welsh, I think - are transcribed in katakana and bemoaning Germanic-sounding names.

Meant "bemoaning the difficulties of them", but dropped a couple words for the sake of simplicity without thinking.

9 hours ago, immatx said:

if we're assuming Palmiva is Begnion

I am assuming Palmira is Daein because of the mountain range, which means Leicester is northern Begnion. ...Then again, there is a mountain range northeast of Daein, so maybe the mountains south of Daein disappeared? Or appeared, depending which came first. Agh, why am I still thinking about this?

Edited by Sock

6 hours ago, The_antithesis said:

Also, BargMac looks like a small, decisively neutral country in the centre of everything, like Switzerland. Maybe the avatar will hail from BargMac?

I think it's Barg as in Mountain. Mt Mac. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Barg

Anyone want to take a guess at the language origins for the areas? I think Fergus is definitely meant to be a mishmash of Scottish and Irish, especially with the Bríonac region. (Although there were Brionac Snaidhpearan in Xenoblade, so maybe it is a Scots Gaelic word?)

Adrastea I can't tell beyond the Germanic bits, there's some Slavic looking thinks like Amíd and Russalka in there, Aegic I can't pick, etc...

Leicester seems English and Welsh, especially with a territory like Mylddín (probably a transcription error of Myrddin). Or maybe there's a Wales-esque kingdom in the process of being annexed by Leicester, since it looks like Fergus has territory past the mountain.

On 6/14/2018 at 3:00 PM, thecrimsonflash said:

something that I noticed about the goddess in the trailer (apologies for the bad quality, I had to make it a .gif so it would fit)3hgoddess.GIF.3a19e9601889fa758c6838a391bc41e6.GIF

Ashunera.png.b4edbf8abc8081eb02c26b3c0563edff.pngshe looks a bit like ashunera, the hair color seems about right, though the mural could pass for brown due to the lack of clear colors, though there, it is about as outlandish as the world map, but I think it is an interesting thing to look at, I would say that any differences could be due to the mural being more stylized, though, I can't tell if the back of the hair is the similar enough or covered, the outfit seems like it could translate well enough to a more stylized ideal, either way, I think it's interesting, the fact alone that we can even make tellius parallels, does say something about potential similarities.

I did wonder about that myself when they showed that artwork, and they never say the name of the goddess here, so it could work. On the other hand, the goddess of Three Houses seems to be very closely associated with dragons, which is common for Fire Emblem, but notably Ashunera was NOT associated with dragons specifically, dragons were just another type of laguz, and Ashunera seemed completely humanoid. So I suspect it's probably not the case.

Though I certainly wouldn't mind another game set in Telius.

1 minute ago, Mad_Scientist said:

I did wonder about that myself when they showed that artwork, and they never say the name of the goddess here, so it could work. On the other hand, the goddess of Three Houses seems to be very closely associated with dragons, which is common for Fire Emblem, but notably Ashunera was NOT associated with dragons specifically, dragons were just another type of laguz, and Ashunera seemed completely humanoid. So I suspect it's probably not the case.

Though I certainly wouldn't mind another game set in Telius.

true, but you could argue that the dragons (perhaps more so dheginsea, but he in a sense is the dragon tribe) were the most loyal to ashera who was half of ashunera, even accepting that death was the only reward they would get for that loyalty, even the begnion senators were simply under the belief that it was divine mandate that they fight in the goddess's name and assumed that there was a place for them in the new world or some great reward for their loyalty, then we have Leval, who had a great sense of respect for Zelgius and Zelgius was mindlessly obedient to Sephiran and Sephrian was using ashera to invoke the end of the world, only Dheginsea (and most likely the dragon tribe as they would know of the covenant being passed down by one of those who made it)  knew what loyalty would result in.

corse this is only a thought, I know that it is kind of flimsy, dragon lolis don't exist in tellius... unless, that loli we see in the trailer is soren's niece and her hair color is due to having the blood of every kind of dragon on tellius. mic drop. I admit, I would like that, ena's child is such an interesting thought to me, there is such an odd number of possibilities with the perfect (ish) dragon.

Ashunera was known as the dawn goddess, so that is something.

when this all ends up being wrong, I imagine some hardcore tellius fans will be pissed, or they won't care that much, as for me I don't think I care a ton either way, I just find this to be a fun theory, I can see this game being heavily inspired by tellius, which could explain the similarities. Though you can't deny that the map does have a similar overall land mass which does get you thinking.