r/fireemblem petition to ban the word "waifu" from the subreddit

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw this and was going to make a thread here about it as well. 

I personally am not a big fan of otaku culture and it's waifus, loli's and what have you but I also admit I've sometimes used the word waifu in an ironic joking manner. Not a lot, but I've done it, I'm not going to deny that.

All of that being said, I think this is going too far. Waifu isn't like the f word or the n word. The word husbando also exists and I've seen female gamers use the term when talking about FE characters and I honestly don't mind it. I might not be a big fan of the word but I won't stop anyone from using it.

Edited by Hekselka

I have my own petition to ban all negative sentiments ever.  I would link it to you, but too many people used the F word in their signatures on the petition.

Waifu/husbando is so widely used in basically any fandom ever. The fact that some people at r/fireemblem wants to ban it is incredibly stupid.

Edited by Armagon

Just now, Armagon said:

Waifu/husbando is so widely used in basically any fandom ever. The fact that r/fireemblem wants to ban it is incredibly stupid.

r/fireemblem is incredibly stupid at this point

Fanartists who draw anything remotely "fanservicey" get harassed.
A writer for Eurogamer was personally attacked and discredited as a journalist for saying he found FEW to be a better crossover than FEH.
The Heroes sub as treated as the pit of degeneracy for actually having casual conversation.

You get the picture.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Waifu/husbando is so widely used in basically any fandom ever. The fact that some people at r/fireemblem wants to ban it is incredibly stupid.

Yeah, this.

14 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I have my own petition to ban all negative sentiments ever.  I would link it to you, but too many people used the F word in their signatures on the petition.

10/10 best reply.

8 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

r/fireemblem is incredibly stupid at this point

Fanartists who draw anything remotely "fanservicey" get harassed.
A writer for Eurogamer was personally attacked and discredited as a journalist for saying he found FEW to be a better crossover than FEH.
The Heroes sub as treated as the pit of degeneracy for actually having casual conversation.

You get the picture.

I don't know about those first two points (screw anyone who harasses fanartists for making the art they want to make) since I have only been on the subreddit for 5 months or so but let's not act like some of the "casual conversation" in the Heroes subreddit is something people should blindly accept.

Did you see that post where that guy posted a picture of his sister cosplaying as Lyn and did you see how some people reacted in that thread?

Edited by Hekselka

Just now, Hekselka said:

I don't know about those first two points (and screw anyone who harasses fanartists for making the art they want to make) since I have only been on the subreddit for 5 months or so but let's not act like some of the "casual conversation" in the Heroes subreddit is something people should blindly accept.

Did you see that post where that guy posted a picture of his sister cosplaying as Lyn and did you see how some people reacted in that thread?

I'm not denying the Heroes sub isn't its own bucket of worms, but the way they talk about it is a gigantic case of "pointing out the speck in your brother's eye before removing the plank from your own".

36 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I'm not denying the Heroes sub isn't its own bucket of worms, but the way they talk about it is a gigantic case of "pointing out the speck in your brother's eye before removing the plank from your own".

Yeah after seeing the ban waifu thread and realizing it wasn't a joke I can see that.

Edited by Hekselka

I don't think I've ever seen such a split and negative community. The Fire Emblem community feels like a high school where the fans are the students, and they're all part of specific cliques that absolutely despise each other.

Edited by Frenzify

2 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

I don't think I've ever seen such a split and negative community. The Fire Emblem community feels like a high school where the fans are the students, and they're all part of specific cliques that absolutely despise each other.

Go join the RWBY fandom.

It makes most communities seem tame.

But seriously, it's not like the word "waifu" is hurting anyone. Let people enjoy things dernit.

1 minute ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Go join the RWBY fandom.

But seriously, it's not like the word "waifu" is hurting anyone. Let people enjoy things dernit.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree, really. Even before the most recent RWBY volumes that were met with a... mixed reception (putting it lightly), just the shipping culture of it was crazy enough. But seeing as I actively avoid most of the hell of the RWBY fandom, but kind of actively engage in the FE community, there's a good chance I'm probably a little bias.

I can understand the sentiment of wanting that word banned, although I think actually petitioning to be banned is going a bit too far.

8 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Go join the RWBY fandom.

But isn't the grass always greener on the other side? 

Well at least the Zelda fanbase isn't the Final Fantasy fanbase. Well at least the Final Fantasy fanbase isn't the Sonic fanbase. At least the Sonic fanbase isn't the... actually I don't have something to fill in here because I don't go very often wherever the toxicity is. 

Which reminds me, the air in the 'forest is so clean and fresh! I love it, and all of us who are responsible for it!

As for the ban petition, well I loathed they actually named character a Tiki=Waifu in Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but at least it was a teenage girl, and not Barry. Such a petition is futile nonsense, and a sign you are caught up too much in the wrong things in life and need a wholesome dharma instilled in your being.

As stupid as it is, they ultimetaly achieved what they wanted: attention. I can't imagine any other reason why anyone would want to ban this word. Ah, well, who I want to mislead? There was probably a guy who came late to the party, and his waifu was already claimed, so he thought banning the word 'waifu' is the ultimate solution for his problem. Browsing reddit recently made me bellieve that the community is kinda like this...

28 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Go join the RWBY fandom.

Note to self: NEVER join the RWBY fandom, watching and enjoying the series is more than enough...

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

What is Heroes crossing over with, exactly?

Anyway, this is stupid, and is part of the reason why I consider reddit to be worse than 4chan.

5 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

What is Heroes crossing over with, exactly?

Anyway, this is stupid, and is part of the reason why I consider reddit to be worse than 4chan.

The exact wording wasn't "crossover"; I believe it was "better represents FE."

I spend far more time on gamefaqs than reddit at this point because you have trolls and stuff but also a bunch of casual conversation and more self-aware users.

"I'm just a bit tired of looking at what this fandom has turned into. Sure, specific discussions are one thing, but there's just too much casual stuff that it's not possible to filter everything away since it leaks into normal discussions as well. It's sad because pre-awakening discussion always focused on individual entries for the longest of times, but now that the series has drawn in the generic jrpg crowd the quality of conversation has deteriorated significantly."

I'm depressed.

People this dumb exist.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

"I'm just a bit tired of looking at what this fandom has turned into. Sure, specific discussions are one thing, but there's just too much casual stuff that it's not possible to filter everything away since it leaks into normal discussions as well. It's sad because pre-awakening discussion always focused on individual entries for the longest of times, but now that the series has drawn in the generic jrpg crowd the quality of conversation has deteriorated significantly."

I'm depressed.

People this dumb exist.

I can't I just have no words. Truly the words of a man standing waaay too high on his horse to really care about the community at large. I mean elitism is nothing new to any community but this thing you quoted here just reeks of arrogance and close mindedness.