Classes You Know About, Expect to See, or Want to See

What classes can you be certain/deduce are returning in this game? What classes do you expect to see return for this game? And what classes do you want to see return for this game?

Based on the trailer, I know there is a class called Aristocrat, which may be a variation of the lord class. We can also see from the formations that myrmidons are returning (unless those are mercenaries). We can also see that archers are returning. From the cinematic parts of the trailer, we can see cavaliers, Pegasus knights, and what presumably are fighters; given that they are shirtless axe-wielders wearing fur and blue kilts (as a fan of Scottish Culture, I do like the kilts). What other classes have you noticed from the trailer?

Given that the MyUnit seems to be returning as the character repeatedly referred to as "teacher", I expect the tactician class to return, though likely modified or renamed. Given the importance placed on the continent's religion in the trailer, I expect priest/bishop to return in some form.

I hope mercenary/hero returns, and I hope it has the blue tartan kilt that the fighters in the cinematic had. I also hope it has the red tartan cape that that sword-wielding character in spiked armour had (though I hope the spiked armour doesn't appear; I personally have never been much of a fan of spiked armour). I also hope that the warrior class returns as a promotion for the fighter class. 

What do you think? What other classes did you see in the trailer? What classes do you expect to see return? What classes would you like to see return?

Edited by vanguard333

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are Thieves and Assassins going to work with the whole "1 unit = a small squad" thing?

Also of note: We have not seen any Priests, Clerics or Troubadours.

Edited by Corrobin

6 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

How are Thieves and Assassins going to work with the whole "1 unit = a small squad" thing?

Forgive me, I don't exactly understand; are you just asking out of curiosity, or are you asking me directly. I'm confused because I never mentioned thieves and assassins. Could you please clarify?

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

Forgive me, I don't exactly understand; are you just asking out of curiosity, or are you asking me directly. I'm confused because I never mentioned thieves and assassins. Could you please clarify?

Well, it's just I don't like the idea of, say, Gaius or Jaffar-like characters in this game leading units of thieves or assassins into battle. It just... sort of doesn't make sense.

1 minute ago, Corrobin said:

Well, it's just I don't like the idea of, say, Gaius or Jaffar-like characters in this game leading units of thieves or assassins into battle. It just... sort of doesn't make sense.

Okay, so you're saying this is a class you don't want to see?

Well, I do want to see Thieves and Assassins, I'm just not sure how it's going to work.

Classes I want to see:

-Different kinds of cavaliers (Sword Cavs, Lance Cavs, Axe Cavs, Bow Cavs)

-Myrmidons and Mercenaries

-Mages of all kinds (Light Mages, Dark Mages, Fire, Wind, and Thunder Mages, Mage Knights, Mage Fighters, Sages, etc.)

-Warriors

Just now, Corrobin said:

Well, I do want to see Thieves and Assassins, I'm just not sure how it's going to work.

Classes I want to see:

-Different kinds of cavaliers (Sword Cavs, Lance Cavs, Axe Cavs, Bow Cavs)

-Myrmidons and Mercenaries

-Mages of all kinds (Light Mages, Dark Mages, Fire, Wind, and Thunder Mages, Mage Knights, Mage Fighters, Sages, etc.)

-Warriors

Oh; that makes sense. thanks. 

Different kinds of cavaliers would be great. 

I hope Malig Knights and/or Dark Fliers are back in some way. Basically, flying mages. Armoured mages would be cool too.

I'd like to see thieves and their promotion get the steal ability back. I imagine they wouldn't have access to formations, but since they're a utility class it isn't necessary. I doubt the refresher unit or healers will have formations either.

And light/dark magic should hopefully return, since the church would probably specialize in light magic.

I'd like to see a return to the Tellius system for cavs, keep them locked on 1 weapon pre premote, then let them choose their 2nd. Also hope they do something with armors, maybe through formations or combat arts, to actually give them a purpose.

if the armoured sword wielding fellas are any indication i hope we are either getting dismounting back or some form of weapon split for the armour knight class.

hell considering the aristocrat we saw in the trailer could wield multiple weapons presumably at base class maybe well be seeing more tier one classes with multiple weapon types (return of the sword and lance knight maybe) which could definitely be interesting. say archers or hunters who have knives at base or something.

Well, we know that archers will return, and it appears that giant robots (or whatever that thing is called) could be a rare enemy. We also know that mages will return, although how is anyone's guess. After re-watching the trailer, the we first see the battle map and the new generics, the enemy unit looked like a fencer. Whether or not this is a new class or just a cosmetic remains to be seen.

As for things I want to see:

I'm hoping that shapeshifters return, mostly because they're my favorite fictional creature, but also because I enjoyed the Taguel in Awakening, and I'm interested in seeing how the Laguz work in the Tellius games (When will Nintendo and IS realize that they could make a quick buck remastering PoR and RD?). I could see them working in formation, or as a single unit that has access to several different animals and creatures, with a transformation selection replacing formations.

Assassins and thieves, as I could see the former working as a specialized unit that focuses on attacking or disrupting the enemy commander while ignoring formations, and the former could see the return of stealing and capturing, with maybe the addition of pick-pocketing to gain some extra gold. Either way, I want them to be high-risk, high-reward kind of units.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Dread Fighters return. I think it would be cool if we saw axes and magic be as flashy as they were in Echoes, although I wouldn't mind if they had more down-to-earth movements this time around, especially if it's obvious they sacrificed the over-the-top spins and slashes for deadly efficiency. I believe they'll be an elite troop, having much less men in their squads when compared to other classes, but their stats, resistance to magic, and other abilities would make up for that.

I'd also like to see a class similar to the Nord Huscarl's from Mount & Blade, especially since they're the only six tier unit in that game, and it'd be nice to see an elite axe unit in Fire Emblem.

One class idea I thought of back in Fates was Librarian. The class uses tomes (books) and daggers (for cutting books- something you had to do to old books in order to open and read them).

Edited by Arcphoenix

Classes I hope to see.

* Good Armor Knights with high resistance and starting with two weapon ranks, similar to Radiant Dawn.

* Laguz or old school Manakete style Shapeshifters who actually turn into a different animal/dragon class for a period of turns rather then only transforming during their battle animations.

* Soldiers/Halberdiers, Pirates/Berserkers, Archers/Snipers and Myrmidons/Swordmasters

* Fighters and Warriors.

* Ballistician.

Classes I expect to see but don't necessarily want.

* Awakening style Great Knight:

* Awakening style Dark Knight:

* Tactician/Avatar class

Wyvern riders, Manaketes, Dark Fliers, Malig Knights and Bow Cavaliers. Dread Fighter would be neat too.

5 hours ago, Corrobin said:

When did being assassins stop the Black Fang from having an army?

Jokes aside, I could see certain classes not having formations to reflect their more personal involvement in a task.

5 hours ago, halvey said:

I want to see good armor knights. I would like to see lots of beast people like the laguz but I doubt that will happen. I hope wyvern units return. 

You never know. I doubt we'll have shapeshifters on the scale of Tellius (where it heavily tied into the plot) but we might get random tribes of shapeshifters like Fates did.

2 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

You never know. I doubt we'll have shapeshifters on the scale of Tellius (where it heavily tied into the plot) but we might get random tribes of shapeshifters like Fates did.

I just hope we never get anything like the Taguel again and they stay in the "bad ideas" bucket.

I'm all for shapeshifters. I just think they need to be properly integrated into the continent. This was done masterfully for the laguz in the Tellius games, but the Taguel in Awakening and the Kitsune/Wolfskin in Fates were tacked on with little-to-no explanation as to what they even are and no relevance to the continent, story, lore, etc. The Laguz have a history of interaction with humans that is shown throughout the games, whereas you learn Panne's the last Taguel right around the time that you learn, from the existence of Panne (who just drops in out of nowhere with no foreshadowing or anything beforehand), that Taguel are even a thing that exist at all. Same for the wolfskin/Kitsune, who exist for all of one chapter where you either wipe them out, or recruit their lost leader in Cheve (or recruit both lost leaders in Revelations). 

To be fair; it isn't the fault of the taguel or the Kitsune/Wolfskin; they are merely symptomatic of the 3DS games not having nearly as much sense of worldbuilding as the Tellius games ignoring basic worldbuilding seems to be a trend in popular media these days… I'm just saying that if shapeshifters are going to be included, they need to be done well. Maybe not to the extent of the Tellius games, but around on par with the manaketes, and enough to be reflective of the amount of worldbuilding in the game itself. 

7 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I just hope we never get anything like the Taguel again and they stay in the "bad ideas" bucket.

Indeed. Cats are infinitely better pets than rabbits.

I'm definitely not a fan of "last of their kind" races, or even novelty tribes who you see for one map and never again. Gameplay wise, though, I would hope shapeshifters get a variety of stones to better diversify how the class can be played.

Edit: Basically everything Vanguard333 said above me.

Edited by NekoKnight

I can't decide if I want a load of mage classes, or only a few. Complex system vs. Simple system. I dunno. I'm fine with simple white vs. black magic classes.. but I think I'd also like some more detail into the magic system in general. I like the differences in DnD5E magic classes and I wouldn't be upset to see a similar distinction within FE. In the past we've had Clerics, Sages, Dark Mages, Sorcerers, etc. So I'd really love a return of at least those basic magic classes. We're definitely going to have cleric / sage.

2 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Indeed. Cats are infinitely better pets than rabbits.

I'm definitely not a fan of "last of their kind" races, or even novelty tribes who you see for one map and never again. Gameplay wise, though, I would hope shapeshifters get a variety of stones to better diversify how the class can be played.

The writers also tried to do the Laguz vs Beorc plot with the Taguel, except put no actual effort because not one single character in the game displays any prejudice against the Taguel, even the bosses in Yarne's chapter.

I'd like to see the gba style classes return, but with the Jugdral magic system. I wasn't a fan of all the new classes added in the last two games, it felt too much like they were just cheesing the system. If everyone can do everything then there's a lot less individuality, and less of a reason to use a variety of classes.

I'm not a fan of beast units, but as long as they're properly integrated like in Tellius then I don't mind them. Just throwing in a couple beast units in Fates and Awakening didn't make any sense.

Byleth being an avatar is just an assumption, it hasn't been confirmed yet.

I'm really hoping they keep the classes unrestricted to gender. I really liked having male Pegasus Knights and Troubadours, especially, in Fates and hope that keeps being an option in this game.

18 hours ago, Corrobin said:

My guess regarding thieves is that there would only be one. Thieves are built rather weak and by a general consensus thieves are thought of as stealthy, so having a large group of people would go against all notions of stealth. As for healing units, I think that they will be in groups like the main fighting units. It would make sense for the healers to be in groups as they would need to be healing a large group of people instead of one person like it was in past games.

Given that we now have formations, it would make sense for soldiers to return. Pike blocks, shieldwalls, testudos, schiltrons; all potential formations that could be done with the return of soldiers. If they do return, I hope they can promote into halberdiers (and that halberds appear as a lance so that the class name actually makes sense).