Classes You Know About, Expect to See, or Want to See

18 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Thanks. I'm honestly surprised that my idea is getting this much positive reception. 

A thought just came to my mind that adds to my idea: if the Myrmidon wears a long gambeson and jack chains, what should be added when it promotes to Swordmaster?

Make the gambeson longer with brigandine plates and iron gauntlets. Boots should be leather with metal splints lacquered on. 

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, the sheer hilarity of watching hundreds of flying mooks clipping into each other and basically spazzing out while their squad leaders attempt to conduct a duel might actually be worth the musou-cribbing. So I guess I hope there's Sky Knights and Wyvern Riders.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually think the reason the classes are hard to differentiate... is because literally everyone we've seen has been the same class.

Brigand Edelgard LOOKS different, like by a good measure. And there's reason to believe that all the other characters are in the noble class, which may be the Three Houses version of Villager, not Lord. We know for sure that at least one mook has noble, and that noble has E in ALL weapon types. My guess is that once those characters write their exams and choose their classes, they'll have outfits a little differentiated from the standard school uniforms

1 hour ago, C_Mutter said:

I actually think the reason the classes are hard to differentiate... is because literally everyone we've seen has been the same class.

Brigand Edelgard LOOKS different, like by a good measure. And there's reason to believe that all the other characters are in the noble class, which may be the Three Houses version of Villager, not Lord. We know for sure that at least one mook has noble, and that noble has E in ALL weapon types. My guess is that once those characters write their exams and choose their classes, they'll have outfits a little differentiated from the standard school uniforms

Yeah, I have to agree.

So far, by the looks of the latest trailer, the majority of the playable units shown seem to be literally Trainees with access to what the Game labels as Professor Levels which groups all the Weapon Ranks (Sword, Lance, Axe, Bow, Melee Weapons and both Reason [aka. Dark+Anima] & Faith [Light+Healing] Magic) and "Proefficiencies" (Authority, (Horse) Riding, Heavy Armor, Flying) they need to hone to meet a minimum rank if they want to be promoted to a more Specialized Class via an Intermediate Seal and an Exam.

So far the Classes that were confirmed while showcasing Edelgard getting her Minor in Brigand were Mercenary (Sword Focus), Thief (seems to be specializing in Hand-to-Hand Combat this Game), Knight (Lance + Heavy Armor), Cavalier (Riding and I assume also Lance), Brigand (C or higher in Axe Wielding), Archer (Bow), Mage (Reason) and Priest (Faith); And I wouldn't be surprised if the option after the dotted line below Priest was gonna be a Flying Class like Pegasus Knight or something.

Other than that, all the students (or at least the first ones the Avatar has to tutor) also seem to have a headstart D rank on a weapon skill (examples being Dorothea and her D in Reason or Lindhart and his D in Faith) which you can either take advantage or ignore depending on your stance on Flexible Reclassing.

13 hours ago, C_Mutter said:

11 hours ago, AstraSage said:

Yeah, I have to agree.

So far, by the looks of the latest trailer, the majority of the playable units shown seem to be literally Trainees with access to what the Game labels as Professor Levels which groups all the Weapon Ranks (Sword, Lance, Axe, Bow, Melee Weapons and both Reason [aka. Dark+Anima] & Faith [Light+Healing] Magic) and "Proefficiencies" (Authority, (Horse) Riding, Heavy Armor, Flying) they need to hone to meet a minimum rank if they want to be promoted to a more Specialized Class via an Intermediate Seal and an Exam.

So far the Classes that were confirmed while showcasing Edelgard getting her Minor in Brigand were Mercenary (Sword Focus), Thief (seems to be specializing in Hand-to-Hand Combat this Game), Knight (Lance + Heavy Armor), Cavalier (Riding and I assume also Lance), Brigand (C or higher in Axe Wielding), Archer (Bow), Mage (Reason) and Priest (Faith); And I wouldn't be surprised if the option after the dotted line below Priest was gonna be a Flying Class like Pegasus Knight or something.

Other than that, all the students (or at least the first ones the Avatar has to tutor) also seem to have a headstart D rank on a weapon skill (examples being Dorothea and her D in Reason or Lindhart and his D in Faith) which you can either take advantage or ignore depending on your stance on Flexible Reclassing.

Yeah; you guys are probably correct.

When I asked, "Are there any others that anyone spotted?" I really meant by looking not just at the gameplay footage, but also at the cinematics to see if they seemed to show any particular classes returning. 

For instance, there was a scene at (4:52) of the trailer, showing Edelgard standing beside a bunch of swordsmen with plate headbands (which I think look a little silly, to be honest), plate and mail on their arms, and chest armour that's a mix of mail and cloth; as if the developers saw an arming doublet (picture below) and didn't realize that's supposed to be worn underneath plate armour. This class is either myrmidon or mercenary, but the question is: which is it?

Spoiler

Related image

On 6/14/2018 at 6:33 PM, NobodiePichu said:

if the armoured sword wielding fellas are any indication i hope we are either getting dismounting back or some form of weapon split for the armour knight class.

hell considering the aristocrat we saw in the trailer could wield multiple weapons presumably at base class maybe well be seeing more tier one classes with multiple weapon types (return of the sword and lance knight maybe) which could definitely be interesting. say archers or hunters who have knives at base or something.

In addition to this comment about the "aristocrat", I think in the analysis, the green haired noble woman was healing byleth. So, that confirms they can use staffs too!

54 minutes ago, kremelover said:

In addition to this comment about the "aristocrat", I think in the analysis, the green haired noble woman was healing byleth. So, that confirms they can use staffs too!

That "woman" a dude and he uses faith magic.

Something I just noticed after re-watching the trailer: in the part that I mentioned earlier with Edelgard surrounded by what are either mercenaries or myrmidons, there are also units that I think could be soldiers: (picture below)

Spoiler

Image result for fire emblem three houses direct

Unless Knight armour got a lot more reasonably-proportioned, these guys are clearly soldiers. 

What do you think? Do you think soldiers are returning as a playable class, or will it once again be exclusive to NPCs?

I'm really hoping for a return of the Summoner class. I think it could be a really interesting feature with the way the gameplay is now (with unit armies and all that). 

I also want pirates.

1 hour ago, Yunanuy said:

I also want pirates.

Teacher: I'm sorry; you failed your brigand exam.

Student: Bu- But I really want to pillage and plunder! I need to be certified before I can burn villages like my dad did!

Teacher: …There is one other option. How good are you around ships?

Student: I get seasick a lot.

Teacher: Then pack plenty of ginger. You're going to need it for the pirate course. Oh; and pack some pickled herring while you're at it; you don't want to get scurvy. 

11 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Teacher: I'm sorry; you failed your brigand exam.

Student: Bu- But I really want to pillage and plunder! I need to be certified before I can burn villages like my dad did!

Teacher: …There is one other option. How good are you around ships?

Student: I get seasick a lot.

Teacher: Then pack plenty of ginger. You're going to need it for the pirate course. Oh; and pack some pickled herring while you're at it; you don't want to get scurvy. 

where is serene's upvote (support) system when we need it...

Also hoping for Tier 3 classes. SoV's DLC tease didn't appease me. 

7 minutes ago, Yunanuy said:

where is serene's upvote (support) system when we need it...

Also hoping for Tier 3 classes. SoV's DLC tease didn't appease me. 

I think there's going to be a Tier 3, it's just that Tier 1 is the trainee Noble class. 

13 hours ago, RexBolt said:

I think there's going to be a Tier 3, it's just that Tier 1 is the trainee Noble class. 

13 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

SoV had three-tier classes though. The DLC was 4th tier. 

Villagers and Trainees are tierless (Tier 0) and promote into Tier 1. A Swordmaster doesn't suddenly become Tier 3 just because a Villager that can promote into it exists. I want classes like Seraph Knight, Sentinel and Trueblade. 

I'm kinda worried by the presence of lance armour knight and a lance cav in Edelgard's promotion screen, it hints at the fact that there won't be many types of cavalry and knights with different physical weapon traits, but then again they may just show that Edel has Lance proficiency at this point too, or that the options for axe cav/armour havent been programmed in yet or are farther down.

I sure hope that things like mage fliers/cavs/armours are a lot more common now die to the flexibility of the Noble class, I don't see why you'd be able to choose specifically magic and a movement type if they didn't have a class which let you use both.

5 hours ago, Yunanuy said:

Villagers and Trainees are tierless (Tier 0) and promote into Tier 1. A Swordmaster doesn't suddenly become Tier 3 just because a Villager that can promote into it exists. I want classes like Seraph Knight, Sentinel and Trueblade. 

I wasn't talking about villagers. These are some of the class chains in FE Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (and all of them except the lord classes are like this):

•  Cavalier -> Paladin -> Gold Knight
  •  Soldier -> Knight -> Baron
  •  Archer -> Sniper -> Bow Knight

That's three tiers. I get your point that you want three tiers in Three Houses, but you were incorrect when you said that Echoes only had two tiers outside the DLC. 

Speaking of soldier promoting to knight, I really hope that it's not the case in this game. I hope to see halberdiers make a return. 

Edited by vanguard333

2 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I'm kinda worried by the presence of lance armour knight and a lance cav in Edelgard's promotion screen, it hints at the fact that there won't be many types of cavalry and knights with different physical weapon traits, but then again they may just show that Edel has Lance proficiency at this point too, or that the options for axe cav/armour havent been programmed in yet or are farther down.

I sure hope that things like mage fliers/cavs/armours are a lot more common now die to the flexibility of the Noble class, I don't see why you'd be able to choose specifically magic and a movement type if they didn't have a class which let you use both.

I think they just have one sprite each for Armor Knights and Cavaliers. So many games where cavalier sprites are shown with lances despite aslo being able to use swords let alone more proficient in them (ie Kent of Caelin). Also, Caelach is shown holding a sword in his sprite despite his inventory being entirely axes.

What do you think the likelihood of Heroes's promotion of Mage/Healing Fliers/Cavs/Armours letting us have them as proper unit types we'll be able to let our Nobles become in 3H. I really hope so because the way they're talking about riding/hvy armour/flying makes it look like an add on, as if most of the weapon types have access to them.

3 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

What do you think the likelihood of Heroes's promotion of Mage/Healing Fliers/Cavs/Armours letting us have them as proper unit types we'll be able to let our Nobles become in 3H. I really hope so because the way they're talking about riding/hvy armour/flying makes it look like an add on, as if most of the weapon types have access to them.

It could be way to balance the general superiority of Flying/Cav units. Lets say that natural weapon exp growth in this game is very bad compared to past titles, and thus units are very dependent on lessons/tasks to get exp. We saw that premoting to brigand, a weapon locked infantry unit, requires a C rank in Axes and an Intermediate seal. What if promoting to Caviler for example, requires a C in horseback riding in addition to C or D in a weapon type? In the trailer we see evidence of both a limit on the number or lessons and a personal stamina meter of sorts for individual students. If we assume lessons and training are in fact finite (could be something that changes depending on difficulty), it could be that while all of the crazy weapon/movement combos we're used to seeing in heroes are possible they may not be practical for all units are they will be very resource intensive to put together. The strength of the Swordsmaster vs a Sword Wielding Paladin, is that becoming a Swordsmaster would require a certain rank of swords (and likely mastery of the Myrmidon class since that's a thing) only, while the Paladin would require a very high rank in Riding in addition a respectable weapon rank. All this would put you in an interesting position as a player, as there would be a handful of "special" students you pick who get to do all the crazy shit, while everyone else has to take less resource intensive routes. This whole thing gets more complicated when you factor in personal aptitudes that seem to be in the Trailer.

All that being said in order for this system to work, IS would have to properly incentivize players to use Armors for once. They could do something like the "Heavy Armor" skill from Echoes and have them take reduced damage from all ranged physical damage so they'd at least have the niche of not being able to get chipped out by harassers (something that could be really important if Canto is a thing in this game, Remember all of the enemy Paladins with Spears from PoR). Alternatively they could go all in and give them something like 40% damage reduction from all physical damage except eff Armor weapons. 

35 minutes ago, colossus86 said:

It could be way to balance the general superiority of Flying/Cav units. Lets say that natural weapon exp growth in this game is very bad compared to past titles, and thus units are very dependent on lessons/tasks to get exp. We saw that premoting to brigand, a weapon locked infantry unit, requires a C rank in Axes and an Intermediate seal. What if promoting to Caviler for example, requires a C in horseback riding in addition to C or D in a weapon type? In the trailer we see evidence of both a limit on the number or lessons and a personal stamina meter of sorts for individual students. If we assume lessons and training are in fact finite (could be something that changes depending on difficulty), it could be that while all of the crazy weapon/movement combos we're used to seeing in heroes are possible they may not be practical for all units are they will be very resource intensive to put together. The strength of the Swordsmaster vs a Sword Wielding Paladin, is that becoming a Swordsmaster would require a certain rank of swords (and likely mastery of the Myrmidon class since that's a thing) only, while the Paladin would require a very high rank in Riding in addition a respectable weapon rank. All this would put you in an interesting position as a player, as there would be a handful of "special" students you pick who get to do all the crazy shit, while everyone else has to take less resource intensive routes. This whole thing gets more complicated when you factor in personal aptitudes that seem to be in the Trailer.

All that being said in order for this system to work, IS would have to properly incentivize players to use Armors for once. They could do something like the "Heavy Armor" skill from Echoes and have them take reduced damage from all ranged physical damage so they'd at least have the niche of not being able to get chipped out by harassers (something that could be really important if Canto is a thing in this game, Remember all of the enemy Paladins with Spears from PoR). Alternatively they could go all in and give them something like 40% damage reduction from all physical damage except eff Armor weapons. 

I could see IS going the Heroes route of "armours have higher stats than the other 3, cavalry and fliers have extra mobility, and infantry are somewhere in the middle." So if all classes are to be treated equally as per Heroes' route, I could see infantry requiring a higher level of weapon rank to promote. Something like.

Dorothea(Reason Magic) --> Mage(Reason Infantry) = Rank C in Reason
                                              --> Mage Knight(Reason Cavalry) = Rank D in Reason, Rank D in Riding
                                              --> Mage Flier(Reason Flier) = Rank D in Reason, Rank D in Flying
                                              --> Mage Fighter(Reason Armour) = Rank D in Reason, Rank D in Hvy Armour

Giving Infantry a naturally higher rank in the weapon but none of the niches that the other 3 have.

Edited by HappyHawlucha.

12 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I could see IS going the Heroes route of "armours have higher stats than the other 3, cavalry and fliers have extra mobility, and infantry are somewhere in the middle." So if all classes are to be treated equally as per Heroes' route, I could see infantry requiring a higher level of weapon rank to promote. Something like.

Dorothea(Reason Magic) --> Mage(Reason Infantry) = Rank C in Reason
                                              --> Mage Knight(Reason Cavalry) = Rank D in Reason, Rank D in Riding
                                              --> Mage Flier(Reason Flier) = Rank D in Reason, Rank D in Flying
                                              --> Mage Fighter(Reason Armour) = Rank D in Reason, Rank D in Hvy Armour

I sincerely hope they don't follow the heroes model of movement balancing. In heroes infantry are supposedly propped up by a significant number of noteable skills locked to them and by not having vulnerabilities. But even with the game bending over backwards they're still bad. In Aether Raids (the only game mode centered around combat optimization) the only infantry you see consistently are those with prf weapons that no one else can replicate (i.e. Ophelia). Furthermore the introduction of the dragonflower system is a tacit admission by IS that infantry are still bad as they are the only type that can double dip. Locking Null C Disrupt, a long requested skill to infantry is another attempt to give infantry a reason to exist. 

Just having a few extra stats doesn't fix what's mechanically wrong with infantry and I would hoe heroes would teach them that.

7 minutes ago, colossus86 said:

I sincerely hope they don't follow the heroes model of movement balancing. In heroes infantry are supposedly propped up by a significant number of noteable skills locked to them and by not having vulnerabilities. But even with the game bending over backwards they're still bad. In Aether Raids (the only game mode centered around combat optimization) the only infantry you see consistently are those with prf weapons that no one else can replicate (i.e. Ophelia). Furthermore the introduction of the dragonflower system is a tacit admission by IS that infantry are still bad as they are the only type that can double dip. Locking Null C Disrupt, a long requested skill to infantry is another attempt to give infantry a reason to exist. 

Just having a few extra stats doesn't fix what's mechanically wrong with infantry and I would hoe heroes would teach them that.

Having a higher weapon rank would allow for infantry classes to initially have an advantage but on second thought over the long term the other variants would probably end up overtaking Infantry over time. I'm really stumped now lol.