Classes You Know About, Expect to See, or Want to See

8 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I feel like the Fighter/Monk confusion will be ironed out when we actually get the game but all I really want is my flying/cav/armour mages and bows tbh...

At least we know that'll be a thing, though I wonder how viable they'll be. I mean theoretically, there should be one or two characters who are good in the proper skills, right?

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Cysx said:

At least we know that'll be a thing, though I wonder how viable they'll be. I mean theoretically, there should be one or two characters who are good in the proper skills, right?

Yeah I hope so, at least if they're good at Flying and have a neutral growth in either type of Magic it can't be that difficult IMO. I really want to make Mercedes a flying healer and maybe Dorothea a Flying Black mage on my Black Eagles playthrough.

4 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Yeah I hope so, at least if they're good at Flying and have a neutral growth in either type of Magic it can't be that difficult IMO. I really want to make Mercedes a flying healer and maybe Dorothea a Flying Black mage on my Black Eagles playthrough.

The thing that's weird is them choosing to specify what class can and cannot use magic, while still saying that every class can use every weapon type. That's confusing to me.

57 minutes ago, Cysx said:

The thing that's weird is them choosing to specify what class can and cannot use magic, while still saying that every class can use every weapon type. That's confusing to me.

The Magic System in general intrigues me - it looks as though there aren't any tomes with uses so the overall learning system appears to be similar to the Echoes system but perhaps different classes have access to different spells? Idk we'll just have to wait.

12 hours ago, Calico said:
  Hide contents

5cc21134cad4e_3houses.png.0952fb07e60636a700064f9a7b671fe5.png

The classes that we saw Edelgard could change into in the previous trailer are likely the tier 3 classes (With tier 1 being noble commoner and tier 2 the other 4). You can likely change into any tier 3 class from any tier 2 class, but being a certain tier 2 class will probably make it easier. My guesses:

Myrmidon -> Mercenary or Thief

Soldier -> Knight or Cavalier

Fighter -> Brigand or Archer (Fits with the axe and bow specialty)

Monk -> Mage or priest

Though cavalier may just require you to get a c rank with a sword, lance, or axe and riding. Flying units are probably similar.

given that edelgard is seen in another class in the second trailer, we may see tier 4 classes (though noble/commoner seems more like tier 0 as all trainees are), it would make sense, for it to go something like noble -> fighter -> brigand -> berserker.

I think the line between "Tiers" of classes will be a lot more blurred, considering levels seem to carry over between classes when you change, and classes like Fighter or Monk appear to resemble promoted classes, due to their variety of weapons. Noble/Commoner is the "Tier 1" and everything else is Tier 2. You start off with just a few classes and as the story progresses more class options are unlocked, allowing for the unit to access these newer classes, and even the "canon" promotions for each House Leader becomes unlocked at a pivotal chapter in the story, resembling the story timed promotions we used to have.

I'm still quite confused about this whole class thing and every time they release new information, it just raises more questions. Given the information so far, I still have a suspicion that it's not as liberal as it is being currently presented.

If I'm understanding correctly, any class can use any weapon of choice but each individual has their own preference towards specific types of weapon? I don't think they mentioned anything regarding weapon ranks or caps. What if you turn Dorothea into a fighter only to find out her weapon rank for axe, bow and gauntlet all caps at D? 

Also, I still want to see how beasts, dancers/singers/bards and manaketes are going to work in this game (assuming that they're still in this game).

I'm also not sure how balanced the game will be because it is clear some combinations of class and weapons are going to make the game much easier.

Edited by zuibangde

36 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

If I'm understanding correctly, any class can use any weapon of choice but each individual has their own preference towards specific types of weapon? I don't think they mentioned anything regarding weapon ranks or caps. What if you turn Dorothea into a fighter only to find out her weapon rank for axe, bow and gauntlet all caps at D? 

Perhaps weapon rank cap is still determined by class, plus making it character based and hiding it from the player would be pretty unfair.

That sounds like the basics of it otherwise, and you can only train two categories at once. Also the exp gains for categories the student is talented in consistently received a 50% bonus in the very few examples we've got(Petra getting 2+1 in swords, Dorothea getting 4+2 in reason magic and 4+2 in swords in the japanese version, Edelgard getting 4+2 in axes). Could be a coincidence with numbers that small, though.

Edited by Cysx

4 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

given that edelgard is seen in another class in the second trailer, we may see tier 4 classes (though noble/commoner seems more like tier 0 as all trainees are), it would make sense, for it to go something like noble -> fighter -> brigand -> berserker.

I hope not; I've been hoping for warrior to return. 

I’m somewhat interested in the idea of making an armored mage type of unit. I hope this new system turns out to be quite flexible!

I have to wonder if any of the classes will suggest a high leadership rank for promotion or if it will just be a tacked on type of skill rank. Some sort of cavalier unit who excels in commanding troops might be interesting.

Edited by Jakalak
Typo

Now we have a confirmed level of flexibility with this new class system, Imma go back over my plans for each individual unit so far:

Byleth(M)(Canon Class; if there isn't then probably whatever I come up with on a whim or find interesting; flying mage probably)
Black Eagles:

Edelgard(Canon Class; if there isn't then axe cavalier)
Bernadetta(Sniper or Thief)
Dorothea(Flying mage fits her well)
Petra(Myrmidon/Swordmaster for suuuuure)
Caspar(Thief or Warrior)
Hubert(Monk or some sort of armoured mage)
Linhardt(Magic Cavalier for memes)
Ferdinand(Halberdier or a Lance Paladin)

Blue Lions:

Dimitri(Canon Class; if there isn't then a Halberdier or Paladin)
Mercedes(Flying Faith user, if I'm not able to do this I will cry)
Annette(Archer of some kind; an armoured archer would be lit tbf)
Sylvain(The other option to what Dimitri isn't, a Halberdier due to seeing his rad black armour or a Paladin)
Ashe(Thief or some sort of Reason Magic/Swords hybrid)
Felix(Myrmidon/Swordmaster; fits him so well)
Big Guy(Armoured Axe; big bulky general)
Blonde Girl(Pegasus Knight or Cavalier; Idk what weapon type though; either axe or sword)

Golden Deer:

Claude(Canon Class; if there isn't then a flying archer 100%)
Leonie(Warrior seems to be her canon class; so might just stick with that)
Raphael(Armoured Lance; maybe a Pegasus Knight for a laugh)
Hilda(Healer for the Serra connection?)
Lorentz(He's using lances so probably a Paladin)
Marianne(A cavalry healer would be cool)
Lysithia(Powerful Mage type or a flying mage)
Ignace(An archer or a cavalry mage)

So this hypothesis just came to me in terms of balancing classes (I apologize if it's already mentioned) and would like some opinions, I guess. 

There's a screenshot in the Famitsu page that shows the characters' mood (Edelgard 's 'mood bar' is half full/empty) and from the Japanese words that can also be read in Chinese, I'm assuming the window on the left says something along the lines of 'choose three characters to train/teach'.

I think that even though your characters can be trained in any weapon/class, choosing a weapon that a character isn't interested in/not good at will decrease their happiness. Once their happiness decreases to a certain point, they either won't be able to be selected for training anymore or will take even more time to train up their skills' rank . I'm also thinking how the fact that the game also has a calendar system means that there might be a 'limited' amount of time to train up your units in the class/weapons you choose for them before the 'exam day' to promote or when the game becomes too challenging (since the story will progress and not wait for you) and forcing you to abandon characters that are underperforming. 

So if you really want a character to be in a class that s/he doesn't like, you'll have to invest a lot more time and effort to train the specific unit up resulting in the other characters being neglected. This way, the game will avoid a whole team consisting of similar or same classes because time and resource management wise, it's just not feasible. 

Edited by zuibangde

28 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

So this hypothesis just came to me in terms of balancing classes (I apologize if it's already mentioned) and would like some opinions, I guess. 

There's a screenshot in the Famitsu page that shows the characters' mood (Edelgard 's 'mood bar' is half full/empty) and from the Japanese words that can also be read in Chinese, I'm assuming the window on the left says something along the lines of 'choose three characters to train/teach'.

I think that even though your characters can be trained in any weapon/class, choosing a weapon that a character isn't interested in/not good at will decrease their happiness. Once their happiness decreases to a certain point, they either won't be able to be selected for training anymore or will take even more time to train up their skills' rank . I'm also thinking how the fact that the game also has a calendar system means that there might be a 'limited' amount of time to train up your units in the class/weapons you choose for them before the 'exam day' to promote or when the game becomes too challenging (since the story will progress and not wait for you) and forcing you to abandon characters that are underperforming. 

So if you really want a character to be in a class that s/he doesn't like, you'll have to invest a lot more time and effort to train the specific unit up resulting in the other characters being neglected. This way, the game will avoid a whole team consisting of similar or same classes because time and resource management wise, it's just not feasible. 

Makes sense, though I'm not convinced the gauge and the mood icon are linked in that way. Even picking their favorites decreased Dorothea/Edelgard's gauge; logically that should refill it instead, or at worst not affect it. But that doesn't mean you're wrong about how mood works, just that the bar itself may be something else. Considering in the japanese trailer two it had three segments filled and indicated that you could train three times, in the english one only one segment and being able to train once, and this time two segments and being able to train twice... yeah.

Also this made me notice that Edelgard is talented at Swords, Axes, Authority, and... Armors, of all things, judging from the base rank. And I had never pictured Edelgard as an armor knight until now.

Guest Human
1 hour ago, Cysx said:

Also this made me notice that Edelgard is talented at Swords, Axes, Authority, and... Armors, of all things, judging from the base rank. And I had never pictured Edelgard as an armor knight until now.

I didn't notice that before either. This probably means Dimitri and Claude will each specialize in one of the other movement types as well. I'm guessing Dimitri will have a strength in Riding while Claude's will be in flying which would explain the box-art.

5 hours ago, Cysx said:

Makes sense, though I'm not convinced the gauge and the mood icon are linked in that way. Even picking their favorites decreased Dorothea/Edelgard's gauge; logically that should refill it instead, or at worst not affect it. But that doesn't mean you're wrong about how mood works, just that the bar itself may be something else. Considering in the japanese trailer two it had three segments filled and indicated that you could train three times, in the english one only one segment and being able to train once, and this time two segments and being able to train twice... yeah.

It could be that training in any weapon period will decrease mood, but training in favorite weapons just reduces the bar less. They're still working after all, I doubt all that training wouldn't damper their mood/energy a little.

Also Edelgard as an armor knight actually sounds amazing. We could probably even make her something similar to a Baron from FE4 if the weapon customization is that in-depth.

7 hours ago, SageOfAnys said:

It could be that training in any weapon period will decrease mood, but training in favorite weapons just reduces the bar less. They're still working after all, I doubt all that training wouldn't damper their mood/energy a little.

Also Edelgard as an armor knight actually sounds amazing. We could probably even make her something similar to a Baron from FE4 if the weapon customization is that in-depth.

I do think mood could eventually affect how much your bar decreases, or perhaps how big it is, but not that it's specifically a mood bar. Plus if this system had inevitable diminishing returns on top of having limited charges from Byleth themselves, I don't know, that'd sound too punishing. Maybe that's the point, though so that you can't focus on a single student all the time.

Edited by Cysx

Everything we've seen so far suggest that our three main lords are a part of the main class system as opposed to being an exclusive class line (e.g. Marth, Alm, Ike). Do you think that's just how it is, or will they have their own exclusive classes, just maybe not available at the start of the game?

6 hours ago, colossus86 said:

Everything we've seen so far suggest that our three main lords are a part of the main class system as opposed to being an exclusive class line (e.g. Marth, Alm, Ike). Do you think that's just how it is, or will they have their own exclusive classes, just maybe not available at the start of the game?

I'm actually hoping they have their own classes. As cool as it would be to have any class, it's not as unique.

9 hours ago, colossus86 said:

I have a feeling that Byleth and all three house leaders will each have their own exclusive classes.

14 minutes ago, Marros said:

Speaking of Exclusive classes, any thoughts on how we'll get Dancers/equivalents?

Dancers would feel a bit odd given that we're explicitly commanding armies here. But maybe they can reskin them into banner-men or drummers. They could just do away with them and just give us an Anew spell or something though

21 minutes ago, colossus86 said:

Dancers would feel a bit odd given that we're explicitly commanding armies here. But maybe they can reskin them into banner-men or drummers. They could just do away with them and just give us an Anew spell or something though

Makes me wonder who gets the Anew spell if they go that route, but that's a question for when we get more info on the Magic systems.

5 hours ago, colossus86 said:

But maybe they can reskin them into banner-men or drummers

A while back I suggested that dancer/bard class would be a military band. Drummer, fifer, etc. I hope so!

7 hours ago, Marros said:

Makes me wonder who gets the Anew spell if they go that route, but that's a question for when we get more info on the Magic systems.

It would be nice if Anew was the Avatars spell as it can link with their timey-whimey stuff.

10 hours ago, colossus86 said:

Dancers would feel a bit odd given that we're explicitly commanding armies here. But maybe they can reskin them into banner-men or drummers. 

4 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

A while back I suggested that dancer/bard class would be a military band. Drummer, fifer, etc. I hope so!

I like this idea; having a whole military band. It would certainly fit this game. As for the different instruments that could appear, I have a few ideas:

A drummer would make a lot of sense. A bagpiper, surprisingly, would not be out-of-place in this game's visual style, especially since we've already seen multiple examples tartan and kilts in this game. A clarsach, or Celtic harp, would also be a neat instrument to see (picture below).

Spoiler

Celtic harp dsc05425.jpg

And, as a fun little Easter Egg, perhaps an Ocarina player? Or maybe someone with a conductor's baton?