Is Rebecca "good" experiment (More like an LP xd)

Hanes

On 7/1/2018 at 7:51 PM, This boi uses Nino said:

If you were to not early promo canas you would be suffering with a slow unit all the time, plus, Cans growth speed is so low he wont gain much speed the next 12 levels, so if he isn't going to be much faster if you wait; If you early promo him he stops being sluggish and becomes one of your fastest units, in FE7 if a unit get's 11 or more speed you will be doubling most enemies save the bosses, myrmidons (Who you probably one shot anyway) and the early promoted units, watch Mekkkah's new video called "WAIFU: Canas" Weird name but it isn't what you think.

But is the alternative - that being a Canas who performs well temporarily at the cost of growing much slower, and possibly being weaker in the long run - really that much better?? Because I'm not really convinced it's worth it...

On 7/1/2018 at 10:52 AM, This boi uses Nino said:

True, Healers lose nothing by promoting early it ony improves the staff rank cap which they probably maxed at level 6 or 7 increases their movement so it's easier to reach friends and in the case of mounts moves much further.

What does improving the staff rank cap have to do with anything?? It isn't like S ranking staves will amount to any tangible tactical effect...

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

But is the alternative - that being a Canas who performs well temporarily at the cost of growing much slower, and possibly being weaker in the long run - really that much better?? Because I'm not really convinced it's worth it...

What does improving the staff rank cap have to do with anything?? It isn't like S ranking staves will amount to any tangible tactical effect...

Fire Emblem 7 and the majority of the GBA games, have slow enemy units. Canas won't become your worst unit if you promote him at level 10, do so and he will just be more useful much faster and he will retain that usefulness he won't lose it long term because enemies grow so slowly, seriously compare various level 1 of any enemy to any of level 2 and they rarae;y grow that speed, it's nice to think long term but when you think about it, FE7 is a short game, you can make it to the end and realize most of your cast is still using iron weapons so it's also a pain o get a unit to 20/20 and it's not lke promoting lowers your growths sure it makes your units grow slower but they got the promotion bonuses which helps them and also might help other units grow faster while they also become good, here's what I mean:  If I have a team of 6 units, who we will call A, B, C, D, E and F; goes into every map with around 30 enemies not including the boss then every unit will optimaly get 5 kills so it becomes equal but if one unit grows much faster and I early promote him then he gets good much faster because of that he needs less kills and those 5 kills he got could be given to the others so they catch up faster so early promotion actually decreases the so called "Pre-promote stealing". Most of your units won't reach 20/20 so don't think using a pre-promote F will make others grow slower and in the end once everyone promotes maybe at 15 or , if you want to torture yourself, 20 then it feels like F would be much weaker but enemies get stronger as well, slower but they do, your pre-promote will start getting more exp for every kill right around when the other units are 14-17 so unit A is like "Ha! Now your time is ov.. wait you're 10/10? When did that happen? I thought you gained exp very slowly!"  F: Well enemies started giving me more exp, and the boss kills I guess, yeah you aren't much stronger than me for being 9+10 (21)

So to summarize: Pre-promoted units actually help your other units grow faster. They get a lot of time of being able to kill anything to not become useless as many people think they do. And even if they don't get kills let's remeber levl-ups are random, if we imagine getting 2 different stats increasing for every level up at random then your 20/1 isn't much stroner than my 10/1, at most, they are only better in every stat by like 2 or 3 so does it matter if I have 14 or 16 speed? Hardly makes a difference. 35 or 38 HP? Doesn't matter .16 or 19 Atk? Killing the same guys really except maybe some bulky dudes which you're proably already doubling and kill anyway. 

Edited by This boi uses Nino

37 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Fire Emblem 7 and the majority of the GBA games, have slow units. Canas won't become your worst unit if you promote him at level 10, do so and he will just be more useful much faster and he will retain that usefulness he won't lose it long term because enemies grow so slowly, seriously compare various level 1 of any enemy to any of level 2 and they rarae;y grow that speed, it's nice to think long term but when you think about it, FE7 is a short game, you can make it to the end and realize most of your cast is still using iron weapons so it's also a pain o get a unit to 20/20 and it's not lke promoting lowers your growths sure it makes your units grow slower but they got the promotion bonuses which helps them and also might help other units grow faster while they also become good, here's what I mean:  If I have a team of 6 units, who we will call A, B, C, D, E and F; goes into every map with around 30 enemies not including the boss then every unit will optimaly get 5 kills so it becomes equal but if one unit grows much faster and I early promote him then he gets good much faster because of that he needs less kills and those 5 kills he got could be given to the others so they catch up faster so early promotion actually decreases the so called "Pre-promote stealing". Most of your units won't reach 20/20 so don't think using a pre-promote F will make others grow slower and in the end once everyone promotes maybe at 15 or , if you want to torture yourself, 20 then it feels like F would be much weaker but enemies get stronger as well, slower but they do, your pre-promote will start getting more exp for every kill right around when the other units are 14-17 so unit A is like "Ha! Now your time is ov.. wait you're 10/10? When did that happen? I thought you gained exp very slowly!"  F: Well enemies started giving me more exp, and the boss kills I guess, yeah you aren't much stronger than me for being 9+10 (21)

So to summarize: Pre-promoted units actually help your other units grow faster. They get a lot of time of being able to kill anything to not become useless as many people think they do. And even if they don't get kills let's remeber levl-ups are random, if we imagine getting 2 different stats increasing for every level up at random then your 20/1 isn't much stroner than my 10/1, at most, they are only better in every stat by like 2 or 3 so does it matter if I have 14 or 16 speed? Hardly makes a difference. 35 or 38 HP? Doesn't matter .16 or 19 Atk? Killing the same guys really except maybe some bulky dudes which you're proably already doubling and kill anyway. 

Early promoting isn't a bad thing at all, there are units that are better being promoted as soon as you get em' rather to wait for some levels in which they could do nothing but doing minimal chip damage or being benched at the end of the chapter

15 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

It's still about Rebecca

I never said it didn't. I was  just pointing out in a non serious statement about the topic's brief switch in to talking about how hot Rebecca was as I found the brief change to be pretty sudden and a bit out of no where. not mad or anything, Rebecca is indeed a goodie

5 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Promoting Canas earlier is a huge benefit to you long-term. Since when you average out Canas's growth rates after level 10, you would notice he won't really surpass his promoted counterpart until like a little after level 15 (if I can recall correctly, don't have the averages chart with me at the moment. Additionally, Canas' speed will never really be that good unpromoted). So you might as well just promote him early so he could start doubling like Erk and Lucius more reliably. He won't really be missing anything if you just promote him earlier. The same goes for most units. You might as well promote him when he hits level 10 (or what I do: around level 13-15). Since not only would you get the that amazing speed boost for Canas, you would also be able to build up your staff rank. Also, while S-ranking staves may not be absolutely necessary, having an extra warp user and healer is always amazing to have.

Edited by Jerry Kuma

On 7/2/2018 at 12:03 AM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Eh, I think that there is no such thing as a shortcut to power. Sure, it might be a good idea in the short run, but what about in the long run...? About the only games where promoting early was generally a good idea were the early FE games and SoV, which had more to do with quirks in the games that emphasize promoting early.

I would happen to disagree. Let’s start with

FE6- just about Every class gains at least +2 to all stats, and often times other perks. That is at a minimum two amazing levels. The power jump from Myrmidon to Swordmaster (+30 crit) is particularly good. The extra con is often useful as well, especially for units that are weighed down. Units like Raigh and Thany in particular appreciate it. Not to mention units that cap stats early appreciate uncapping their stats, such as Zeiss and Miledy. And of course there are the new weapons units can use. This is particularly helpful for Thany, for obvious reasons, although it can also be helpful to allow Miledy to us an armosrslayer as well. Then there is the +1 weapon rank, useful to get units to Killer rank, or Silver rank, or Warp rank, depending on the unit. I would say that no unit benefits from a max promotion, the benefits from promotion are too good. Even Bors and Barth, two units who are just about ruined in the practicality department by promotion (Con is too high to be rescued), greatly appreciate the fact that their stats aren’t awful anymore, they have some of the highest promotion gains in the game after all.

FE7 - Paladins get + 3 AS when using Javelins (Lowen +2 AS), which is an easy way to bump up their juggernaut potential. Sages and Druids can start working on their staff rank (they have enough time to reach A rank in LTC so it’s useful for everyone), Lucius get C rank staves, Berserkers get +3 AS when using hand axes, Raven and Eliwood gain ranged options, Falcoknights get a good bulk increase, Hector gets a good speed increase, Archers/Rath get significant stat gains. The only unit that benefits from max promotion overall are Oswin, since his stats are quite decent, and he can’t keep up without being rescued, which is impractical when promoted, and Dorcas/Bartre, since otherwise their speed is complete garbage (although it’s not good even with the levels). Unless you only promote Bartre to recruit Karla, in which case it’s much easier to just early promote her

FE8 - mostly the same as FE7, but Pegasus knights can now either gain +3 AS and a bit more bulk or +6 AS. Shamans can promote into summoners, which allows utility without levels. Mercs, archers and knights can get +2 move on promotion and a mount. Fighters can gain +2 speed. I’d again say no unit benefits from late promotion

FE9 - yeah you don’t really want to early promote here. Could be useful for Mist but that’s about it

FE10 - Several units benefit greatly from a Master Crown in terms of their usefulness, in particular Haar and Gatrie, due to increase of caps, the master skill, and the stat increase

FE11 - It’s less about deciding if to early promote than it is who to early promote. Seriously if you don’t early promote you’re playing suboptimally

FE12 - am not familiar with it, but I understand that level 15 is a good place to promote? If you’re familiar with the game please feel free to correct me

FE13 - The benefits of skills often outweigh the XP loss, especially for Robin

FE14 - Fun fact - characters who are promoted early gain an EXP boost. How it works is that a 10/1 unit gains EXP as a level 16 unit, a 12/1 gains EXP as a level 17 unit, so on and so on. If you promote at level 16, the character will most likely have a 3 level lead compared to a promoted at 20 unit, with the benefit of getting skills 3 levels earlier. Now several high level skills in the game are significant buffs to the unit in question. Replicate, Faire skills, Trample, Rallies, things of this nature. Being able to get these skills earlier is a huge boon. Not to mention, pair up bots don’t need levels. I think it’s fair to say that pair up bots are a very cheap way of getting very beneficial units.

I’d argue that this statement is false for every game covered except Fire Emblem 9. Also you’ll feel the impact more during the short turn than the long term. I’ve early promoted in most game in the series I’ve played, I know.

1 hour ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Early promoting isn't a bad thing at all, there are units that are better being promoted as soon as you get em' rather to wait for some levels in which they could do nothing but doing minimal chip damage or being benched at the end of the chapter

Totally agree.

1 hour ago, Jerry Kuma said:

I never said it didn't. I was  just pointing out in a non serious statement about the topic's brief switch in to talking about how hot Rebecca was as I found the brief change to be pretty sudden and a bit out of no where. not mad or anything, Rebecca is indeed a goodie

True

Promoting Canas earlier is a huge benefit to you long-term. Since when you average out Canas's growth rates after level 10, you would notice he won't really surpass his promoted counterpart until like a little after level 15 (if I can recall correctly, don't have the averages chart with me at the moment. Additionally, Canas' speed will never really be that good unpromoted). So you might as well just promote him early so he could start doubling like Erk and Lucius more reliably. He won't really be missing anything if you just promote him earlier. The same goes for most units. You might as well promote him when he hits level 10 (or what I do: around level 13-15). Since not only would you get the that amazing speed boost for Canas, you would also be able to build up your staff rank. Also, while S-ranking staves may not be absolutely necessary, having an extra warp user and healer is always amazing to have.

Totally agree

Yeah not early promoting @Levant Mir Celestia is actually a pitfall. Here I reccomend you to watch this excellent (except maybe in the quality) video watch at 6:24.

Chapter 26. Battle Before Dawn Attempt #1. felnvsdl;;l'v;';;msk;lgkens; vdmb;skds,vl;sdnbkkfucklkflknv la ;ebmnvsdl;v ndshitjlandv;ldsb;ssdvnbdfoomnd;fbn

5b3c0e0f6088d_Chapter26-1.PNG.16f449f927b57fc2e866297de53e334b.PNG  *Sigh* I have to do this one...

5b3c0e117e25b_Chapter26-2.PNG.dbcb5433a42bdca6236c8146f3bd23a6.PNG  Never realized the map was that big.

5b3c0e1454900_Chapter26-3.PNG.3491b6b3acad1602c5146f0d49b69c24.PNG  The soul of Sain as the grim reaper lives on to Florina.

5b3c0e174d5e6_Chapter26-4.PNG.8c0a76e00af9f576f32b1651f7e3c02f.PNG  Wh- wh- what?!

5b3c0e1994c2a_Chapter26-5.PNG.67dfcaf18ae23f0f5b0b16767e3b4f95.PNG  A fucking Earth Seal? 1.- Who brings a prize to battle? 2.-Fucking sent legault to the right,arghh!

5b3c0e1c04691_Chapter26-6.PNG.4c7c09419f3c2f3638b0148f3fa8e21e.PNG  Nice level up good job.

5b3c0e1e60ce3_Chapter26-7.PNG.edc6dbfdf54722ee3d2ff5abba21e893.PNG  fuck you and fuck House Cornwell, it was the best decision for your house to be killed, pathetic 9 DEF right now!

5b3c0e208779d_Chapter26-8.PNG.160536edcd98eb59e8f01823a5e7f57b.PNG  This is insane! Fucking dammit!

5b3c0e237027a_Chapter26-9.PNG.fc616df62fd239af741bdec75ba94690.PNG  Yes, I am going to train her, and pair her up with Rebecca.

5b3c0e25b0b48_Chapter26-10.PNG.96e793249c0eaa59c38c97f72c2a9491.PNG  Her bases aren't entirely terrible, like all Ests she can kill enemies that were left by others and this is with the Fire.

5b3c0e279c36a_Chapter26-11.PNG.c0d527e7b5fb27089f226442e67ea3c1.PNG  Me very cocky: heh it depends I mean I give 0 shits about Raven or whatever.

5b3c0e2b637f4_Chapter26-12.PNG.9a7cbb151294fafbfedf21885c271b6e.PNG  Thank you Hector, *next enemy annihilates his HP and is still in Ursula's range*

5b3c0e33ab659_Chapter26-13.PNG.f1cd632eea16c51dd734a06376d96988.PNG  oohllnsdklpvnoisdn; ndmv;nb;s'pkdmnidsvodpbun['manvd;objvhjlkiouoipe86r9f

;f[egiwegwelgpwigw]ek0j4egwmeosdpjgrw[hjwj0g9rjmb]msob]rjhs

OFJ"GJEO
Gjs

hjpjhrtd9rh[p[lsekojesiog'kgopsejhrobhrjh]brm]bs0wjhs[

lafkeg]osj

kg0e]rjhskg0-sgsk]4egksoegjsjihsep0ut377

4 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

Of COURSE that happened the chapter Rebecca gets a good level up on V_V RIP

You know I lost my cool when I don't use propper grammar in a sentence (Look at Raven's death picture sentence)

Tragedy strikes x2. Also how dare yee insult Lord Raven? He has good bases when he joins and hardmode bonuses. Plus, once he promotes he's able to use axes, allowing him to use the hand axe and potentially a brave weapon. That's if you promote him though... Still though: PRAISE RAVEN.

Edited by Jerry Kuma

6 minutes ago, Jerry Kuma said:

Tragedy strikes x2. Also how dare yee insult Lord Raven? He has good bases when he joins and hardmode bonuses. Plus, once he promotes he's able to use axes, allowing him to use the hand axe and potentially a brave weapon. That's if you promote him though, kek. Still though: PRAISE RAVEN.

9 DEF!!!!1! He is the most durale unit in my team!!!!1!!!!1! No, his base DEF is much lower than I, and probably you, even thought of, in Fact I early promoted him he had 9 DEF and when I checked the averages 9 DEF was his average ffor 20/3 so if he was relatively blessed in DEF there then damn, bad baaaaaad DEF I'm supposed to send him to fight in the frontlines to attack since he is clearly made for doubling but he dies like that so easily, yeah he has high HP but if I were told to pick someone with 25 HP and 14 DEF or someone with 31 HP but 8 DEF even if they seem to be equal in durability they're not because the one with 8 DEF will take damage from things that the guy with 14 DEF won't, just ridiculous, Heres are supposed to be fast, durable and high hp tanks not like Raven with his pathetic DEF! (Imagine the units I said also had the same RES even though Raven's Res is horrrrible!

Just now, This boi uses Nino said:

9 DEF!!!!1! He is the most durale unit in my team!!!!1!!!!1! No, his base DEF is much lower than I, and probably you, even thought of, in Fact I early promoted him he had 9 DEF and when I checked the averages 9 DEF was his average ffor 20/3 so if he was relatively blessed in DEF there then damn, bad baaaaaad DEF I'm supposed to send him to fight in the frontlines to attack since he is clearly made for doubling but he dies like that so easily, yeah he has high HP but if I were told to pick someone with 25 HP and 14 DEF or someone with 31 HP but 8 DEF even if they seem to be equal in durability they're not because the one with 8 DEF will take damage from things that the guy with 14 DEF won't, just ridiculous, Heoes are supposed to be fast, durable and high hp tanks not like Raven with his pathetic DEF!

I understand now... Your Raven needs to be blessed by RNGsus then. Give RNGsus your daily offering of a piece of your sanity. But to be serious, yeah Raven sort of needs to be protected around magic users or be standing on a fort/forest in order to deal with them. Have any other options besides him?

Edited by Jerry Kuma

7 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Aw man I hate battle before dawn to

its the worst 

also you know what's in one of those chests... A FUCKING RESCUE STAFF!!!

You'll need that stuff, or else...

I understand now... Your Raven needs to be blessed by RNGsus then. Give RNGsus your daily offering of a piece of your sanity. But to be serious, yeah Raven sort of needs to be protected around magic users or be standing on a fort/forest in order to deal with them. Have any other options besides him?

He was already blessed by RNGesus it's just that I early promoted him, sometimes I don't like early promos, sometimes I do sometimes I don't.

28 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Oh, boy! Battle Before Dawn... This almost made me quit FE7

and it's not even that bad in EHM but I already see a Druid with those stats!

22 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Also you know what's in one of those chests... A FUCKING RESCUE STAFF!!!

That's not all, all the treasure is trolling you.
Rescue: You can use this to rescue zephiel to safety.
Boots: if you had these your mounted units would be able to help Zephiel faster
Brave Lance: Oh I could have given this to a unit and have them at least kill the heroes in your way faster!
Delphi Shield: At this point the Archer heavy levels are gone so this is just to mock you "Oh look a delphi shield!" HAHA you won'tuse it! plus its extremely useless HAHAA"

To be honest, I must be an oddity. I never had trouble with battle before Dawn. It's the following gaiden chapter that used to cause me pain. I say used to, because last run it was rendered pretty easy by an RNG blessed Florina (who capped strength and speed by then) and the fact I was using Hawkeye.

1 hour ago, Mad-manakete said:

To be honest, I must be an oddity. I never had trouble with battle before Dawn. It's the following gaiden chapter that used to cause me pain. I say used to, because last run it was rendered pretty easy by an RNG blessed Florina (who capped strength and speed by then) and the fact I was using Hawkeye.

hawkeye is pretty decent and I don't understand the battle Before Dawn mentality you had but I mean maybe you just got very blessed to see 1RKO those heroes

46 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

hawkeye is pretty decent and I don't understand the battle Before Dawn mentality you had but I mean maybe you just got very blessed to see 1RKO those heroes

Battle Before Dawn hasn't caused me pain in any of my runs, mostly because the first time I played through I was extremely cautious because of the fog of war. Cost me the chests that time, but it gave me a better idea how to approach the chapter in my subsequent runs, if that makes sense.

But the gaiden chapter, Night of Farewells usually bothers me because of the sinking/rising bridge mechanic and the therefore forced pace. Last time Hawkeye being able to stand on water tiles was actually enough to shift the balance just slightly my way, as was Florina's RNG blessings meaning I could have her one round a couple otherwise painful enemies.

I was actually ok with Battle before Dawn. It's the gaiden chapter that makes me want to quit. Nino and Rebecca support? This is going to be fun.

Dang it This boi uses Nio! You beat me to it, I was going to say you sound like you've watched Mekkkah on youtube and was going to post his Early Promotions Pitfall video. Anyways I agree with your arguments on early promoting and you are continuing to do quite well with your Rebecca run of FE7. Keep going! You're getting there.

1 hour ago, SavageVolug said:

Dang it This boi uses Nio! You beat me to it, I was going to say you sound like you've watched Mekkkah on youtube and was going to post his Early Promotions Pitfall video. Anyways I agree with your arguments on early promoting and you are continuing to do quite well with your Rebecca run of FE7. Keep going! You're getting there.

Well of course, Mekkkah's videos are actually the first "Guides" I saw on the internet about Fire Emblem.

Uuuuugh Ursula!! That Hector death at the end is painful for me and I ain't even playing!!

Your Canas died, right ? It's a tragedy; he can kill pretty much anything with Luna, Ursula included. 

And with such a good level up for Rebecca too! You have my support D:

Edited by ExaltedViolinist

5 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Well of course, Mekkkah's videos are actually the first "Guides" I saw on the internet about Fire Emblem.

I think I've seen that.

i understand the benefits and reasons of early promotion, I still jsut dont care for it becusse I like raising my units to be as strong as possible

On 7/3/2018 at 1:18 PM, 1% Critical Hit said:

This is just me, but that sounds a bit extreme - if they NEED to be promoted asap, I might be better off just dropping them in the first place...

On 7/3/2018 at 2:43 PM, Aut said:

I would happen to disagree. Let’s start with

FE6- just about Every class gains at least +2 to all stats, and often times other perks. That is at a minimum two amazing levels. The power jump from Myrmidon to Swordmaster (+30 crit) is particularly good. The extra con is often useful as well, especially for units that are weighed down. Units like Raigh and Thany in particular appreciate it. Not to mention units that cap stats early appreciate uncapping their stats, such as Zeiss and Miledy. And of course there are the new weapons units can use. This is particularly helpful for Thany, for obvious reasons, although it can also be helpful to allow Miledy to us an armosrslayer as well. Then there is the +1 weapon rank, useful to get units to Killer rank, or Silver rank, or Warp rank, depending on the unit. I would say that no unit benefits from a max promotion, the benefits from promotion are too good. Even Bors and Barth, two units who are just about ruined in the practicality department by promotion (Con is too high to be rescued), greatly appreciate the fact that their stats aren’t awful anymore, they have some of the highest promotion gains in the game after all.

FE7 - Paladins get + 3 AS when using Javelins (Lowen +2 AS), which is an easy way to bump up their juggernaut potential. Sages and Druids can start working on their staff rank (they have enough time to reach A rank in LTC so it’s useful for everyone), Lucius get C rank staves, Berserkers get +3 AS when using hand axes, Raven and Eliwood gain ranged options, Falcoknights get a good bulk increase, Hector gets a good speed increase, Archers/Rath get significant stat gains. The only unit that benefits from max promotion overall are Oswin, since his stats are quite decent, and he can’t keep up without being rescued, which is impractical when promoted, and Dorcas/Bartre, since otherwise their speed is complete garbage (although it’s not good even with the levels). Unless you only promote Bartre to recruit Karla, in which case it’s much easier to just early promote her

FE8 - mostly the same as FE7, but Pegasus knights can now either gain +3 AS and a bit more bulk or +6 AS. Shamans can promote into summoners, which allows utility without levels. Mercs, archers and knights can get +2 move on promotion and a mount. Fighters can gain +2 speed. I’d again say no unit benefits from late promotion

FE9 - yeah you don’t really want to early promote here. Could be useful for Mist but that’s about it

FE10 - Several units benefit greatly from a Master Crown in terms of their usefulness, in particular Haar and Gatrie, due to increase of caps, the master skill, and the stat increase

FE11 - It’s less about deciding if to early promote than it is who to early promote. Seriously if you don’t early promote you’re playing suboptimally

FE12 - am not familiar with it, but I understand that level 15 is a good place to promote? If you’re familiar with the game please feel free to correct me

FE13 - The benefits of skills often outweigh the XP loss, especially for Robin

FE14 - Fun fact - characters who are promoted early gain an EXP boost. How it works is that a 10/1 unit gains EXP as a level 16 unit, a 12/1 gains EXP as a level 17 unit, so on and so on. If you promote at level 16, the character will most likely have a 3 level lead compared to a promoted at 20 unit, with the benefit of getting skills 3 levels earlier. Now several high level skills in the game are significant buffs to the unit in question. Replicate, Faire skills, Trample, Rallies, things of this nature. Being able to get these skills earlier is a huge boon. Not to mention, pair up bots don’t need levels. I think it’s fair to say that pair up bots are a very cheap way of getting very beneficial units.

I’d argue that this statement is false for every game covered except Fire Emblem 9. Also you’ll feel the impact more during the short turn than the long term. I’ve early promoted in most game in the series I’ve played, I know.

I'm not familiar with FE12 myself, so I cannot say anything about that one. That being said... I do promote early in Awakening if I reclassed a unit - some units (namely the ones with two reclasses that are of the opposite inclination as the unit; e.g. Ricken, Henry), I don't bother reclassing. Admittedly, Awakening is an exception due to infinite grinding. As for Fates... What about if you promoted at an odd level? How would experience be treated then? Also, I'd say the same units that are good pair up bots are also worse than junk, especially Miss Whiffsalot (aka Charlotte) and the unlucky guy. And as for earlier skills, I don't think it'd be by enough to make much of a difference (probably one or two chapters at most). As for the skills you mentioned, I take issue with Replicate since it's a high risk skill, and with the two factions thing going on, some rallies might need skill buying to exist. Especially Strength, since the alternative is to use one of the absolute worst units in the game to get it (the aforementioned Charlotte and Arthur). There's also the part where Eternal Seals are very expensive. Regarding the thing about the short term benefits, you might have a point, but depending on the game, I have to think in the long term in case something late in the game can single-handedly ruin my run (Ryoma in Conquest is a big example of this). Basically, while early promotion is something you might be able to get away with depending on the unit and the game, I don't care for it because FE is a numbers game. Also, in the context of the GBA games, I prefer using my Guiding Rings on healers since they aren't liabilities any longer.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia