The Incredibles 2 (Spoilers)

Dragoncat

Who else has watched it? Talk about it here. 

Favorite line: "I eat thunder and crap lightning!"

Edited by Dragoncat

Was anyone else surprised by Evelyn's betrayal, or did you see it coming? I kinda thought Screen Slaver was going to be the villain for the whole thing! Technically it still was Screen Slaver but yeah, I thought the villain would be an angry bitter male kinda like Syndrome from the first. Female villains rock though! I'm happy. Although that poor pizza guy. I hope he got out of jail when it was revealed he was innocent.

Also I'm sure everybody cracked up when Violet snorted water out of her nose at the restaurant. What were the funniest parts for you guys?

Edited by Dragoncat

Right when Winston and Evelyn were introduced I immediately narrowed down the villain to the two of them. And as the movie kept going, I pinpointed the villain correctly. Boom.

Did you all see the A113 in the film?

Edited by Purple Mage

I literally just got back from the theater.

HOLY CRAP! Did they deliver! Even if I agree that it doesn't quite reach the same level as the original, it comes so close that I doubt anyone cares.

Even though the first one had the better story, the plot of the Incredibles 2 is still really good, and they struck the right balance between the superhero action and the family aspect, quenching a concern I had with the early trailers. It felt like every character got their chance to shine in their own way, and it's nice to see them build off the development from the first film. I do agree that the villain reveal was obvious and predictable, although in my case that was about the only thing I was spoiled on. I did at least like that the publicity gained from both the train and ambassador rescues did give Winston some credibility to being the Screenslaver. Also, that raccoon (did anyone else think that that was a nod to The Iron Giant?) gave a better fight against Jack-Jack than Sydrome ever did.

By the way, can we talk about the action? Because HOLY CRAP! Did 14 years do wonders to their technology and animation skills! Seriously, I'd say go see the movies for that alone! There was not one action-packed moment that I did not enjoy! It's great seeing superheroes in action, and Pixar outdid themselves there.

Also, I noticed the A113 easter egg. And apparently Pixar stated that there was a Toy Story 4 easter egg that's so subtle, no one will notice it until after said movie is released.

Since I haven't seen it brought up yet, does anyone else have thoughts on the short beforehand?

7 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

I literally just got back from the theater.

HOLY CRAP! Did they deliver! Even if I agree that it doesn't quite reach the same level as the original, it comes so close that I doubt anyone cares.

Even though the first one had the better story, the plot of the Incredibles 2 is still really good, and they struck the right balance between the superhero action and the family aspect, quenching a concern I had with the early trailers. It felt like every character got their chance to shine in their own way, and it's nice to see them build off the development from the first film. I do agree that the villain reveal was obvious and predictable, although in my case that was about the only thing I was spoiled on. I did at least like that the publicity gained from both the train and ambassador rescues did give Winston some credibility to being the Screenslaver. Also, that raccoon (did anyone else think that that was a nod to The Iron Giant?) gave a better fight against Jack-Jack than Sydrome ever did.

By the way, can we talk about the action? Because HOLY CRAP! Did 14 years do wonders to their technology and animation skills! Seriously, I'd say go see the movies for that alone! There was not one action-packed moment that I did not enjoy! It's great seeing superheroes in action, and Pixar outdid themselves there.

Also, I noticed the A113 easter egg. And apparently Pixar stated that there was a Toy Story 4 easter egg that's so subtle, no one will notice it until after said movie is released.

Since I haven't seen it brought up yet, does anyone else have thoughts on the short beforehand?

Winston wasn't Screenslaver, Evelyn was. Am I the only one who honestly didn't see that coming? Am I that dense?

YES the raccoon part was like, 10/10. Best scene in the movie probably.

The short before it was cute. I thought it was kind of weird though until it was revealed that it was a mother's dream because she missed her son. So glad for her that her son and his wife decided to stay and help run the family business!

Funny story: I went to see it with my mom and my aunt. My aunt thought the short before it was The Incredibles. She legit thought that. Got a good laugh out of that.

Edited by Dragoncat

Just now, Dragoncat said:

Winston wasn't Screenslaver, Evelyn was.

I said it gave him credibility. As in, there was a potential motive for him to be the Screenslaver (set up conflicts, have Elastigirl solve them, and quit the persona once superheroes are legal again).

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

YES the raccoon part was like, 10/10. Best scene in the movie probably.

Agreed. Although I'm still trying to debate what my favorite scene was. There are too many! From Elastigirl stopping the train, to her saving the ambassador, to the Pizza-guy!Screenslaver actually putting of a surprisingly good fight, to Bob Parr (Mr. Incredible) staying up at night to understand the "new math" (which I believe is a jab at a real life phenomenon during the Cold War where America tried to get ahead of Russia (who had just launched Sputnik) using "New Math", which ignored practical applications in favor of things needlessly complex and impractical. Got that from TV Tropes though, so make of that what you will) to Winston Deavor jumping out of a helicopter (or whatever it's called) to save the hypnotized ambassadors and heroes. THERE ARE TOO MANY, BOTH BIG AND SMALL!

5 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

The short before it was cute. I thought it was kind of weird though until it was revealed that it was a mother's dream because she missed her son. So glad for her that her son and his wife decided to stay and help run the family business!

Agreed that it was cute. It's always nice to see a good show-don't-tell and Pixar gets pretty creative with them. The only downside I would say being confused about what the point was near the beginning and a little to the middle.

16 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Funny story: I went to see it with my mom and my aunt. My aunt thought the short before it was The Incredibles. She legit thought that. Got a good laugh out of that.

That got a chuckle out me. Out of question, has she seen the original?

2 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

That got a chuckle out me. Out of question, has she seen the original?

I'm not sure, but if she did, man did she ever forget lol.

I see your point on Winston now. I'm glad Pixar made the villain Evelyn though, because I love female villains. They can be just as nasty and brutal as the males, girl power and all that. I felt bad for Winston, poor guy. He had no idea his sister was plotting behind his back and had to see her be put in jail. But it makes me wonder about his intelligence, shouldn't there have been red flags?

Violet's comment when Evelyn was arrested was gold. "She's rich, she'll just bail herself out" lol. Hopefully she learned her lesson though.

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I'm not sure, but if she did, man did she ever forget lol.

I see your point on Winston now. I'm glad Pixar made the villain Evelyn though, because I love female villains. They can be just as nasty and brutal as the males, girl power and all that. I felt bad for Winston, poor guy. He had no idea his sister was plotting behind his back and had to see her be put in jail. But it makes me wonder about his intelligence, shouldn't there have been red flags?

Violet's comment when Evelyn was arrested was gold. "She's rich, she'll just bail herself out" lol. Hopefully she learned her lesson though.

Yeah, I think If I wasn't spoiled with the movie beforehand, I would have guessed either of them. They both had reasonable motives, and I did predict that the first "Screenslaver" wouldn't be the actual one.

(On a side note, I actually really liked his (or her? Who knows who's in control there, as the hypnotized heroes seemed to act on their own) fight and escape scene. There was a lot of quick thinking that took place on both sides, and it shows how a human could keep up with a super.)

As for Winston, well, the whole thing took place over a manner of days, the fake screensaver only appeared twice on television, with Elasigirl catching him the second time, and it appears that Evelyn and Winston disagree on their fathers actions on the night he was killed. He didn't see the flags, because there probably were none.

On 6/17/2018 at 9:00 PM, Dragoncat said:

What were the funniest parts for you guys?

Either the Raccoon fight, the Incredibiles return (although that was more awesome than funny), or Edna's attitude towards Jack-Jack doing a complete 180 after learning he had powers. Let's hope that like Jack-Jack Attack, Pixar makes a short about that off-screen shenanigan (just imagine the ham!).

5 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

(On a side note, I actually really liked his (or her? Who knows who's in control there, as the hypnotized heroes seemed to act on their own) fight and escape scene. There was a lot of quick thinking that took place on both sides, and it shows how a human could keep up with a super.)

Yeah I wonder how much in control that pizza guy was too. Poor dude! One day he's minding his own business next day he's in jail and he doesn't know why. I guess Evelyn just hypnotized him to defend himself and escape if he had to. But dang, the dude could be a MMA fighter or something! I don't think they were much in control when being hypnotized, actually, they got their orders and followed them with no hesitation.

6 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

As for Winston, well, the whole thing took place over a manner of days, the fake screensaver only appeared twice on television, with Elasigirl catching him the second time, and it appears that Evelyn and Winston disagree on their fathers actions on the night he was killed. He didn't see the flags, because there probably were none.

I'd think he might be able to see that she disagreed with what his father wanted and now what he wanted, but yet she helps him like she expects to get something out of it herself. But yeah. Most people wouldn't think their sibling would betray them unless there's a huge red flag.

6 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Yeah I wonder how much in control that pizza guy was too. Poor dude! One day he's minding his own business next day he's in jail and he doesn't know why. I guess Evelyn just hypnotized him to defend himself and escape if he had to. But dang, the dude could be a MMA fighter or something! I don't think they were much in control when being hypnotized, actually, they got their orders and followed them with no hesitation.

Pizza-Dude: Underrated Bad@$$ of the Year.

But yeah, it does seem ambiguous how much control Evelyn has over someone who's hypnotized. She could just give them orders that they then carry out on their own, or she takes direct control. Or both, as she could give orders during some moments and take control at others.

On 6/17/2018 at 6:00 PM, Dragoncat said:

Was anyone else surprised by Evelyn's betrayal, or did you see it coming? I kinda thought Screen Slaver was going to be the villain for the whole thing! Technically it still was Screen Slaver but yeah, I thought the villain would be an angry bitter male kinda like Syndrome from the first. Female villains rock though! I'm happy. Although that poor pizza guy. I hope he got out of jail when it was revealed he was innocent.

Also I'm sure everybody cracked up when Violet snorted water out of her nose at the restaurant. What were the funniest parts for you guys?

On 6/17/2018 at 6:10 PM, Purple Mage said:

Right when Winston and Evelyn were introduced I immediately narrowed down the villain to the two of them. And as the movie kept going, I pinpointed the villain correctly. Boom.

Did you all see the A113 in the film?

Yeah, that.

Specifically, when Evelyn went on her whole thing about convenience with Elastigirl, I figured it had to be her. When Elastigirl realized the guy she caught wasn't the Screen Slaver I literally said out loud, "That took you long enough to figure out."

Good movie, though. A little bit of predictability isn't a bad thing. I especially enjoyed the role reversal for the parents compared to the first movie.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how well I can criticize this film, because I've only seen it one time. Normally this would be enough for me, but it's different because it's the Incredibles sequel. The Incredibles 1 (1ncredibles?) holds the unique distinction that I've watched multiple times, but with significant gaps of over a year between each viewing. Each time I went back to I had "matured" enough to appreciate something new in it.

Based just on this first viewing though, I enjoyed Incredibles 2. I would go so far as to say it was a good film. I don't think I like it as much as the first though.

This might be because it has a very similar premise/plot to the first film. Another reason, and I think this might be the reason I didn't like it as much, is because it lacks some of those more...gritty parts, I guess. Of all the things they decided to recreate from the first movie, all the sneaking around Syndrome's base was not one of them, but I really enjoyed those more quiet, tense moments.

Incredibles was a movie with an oddly high amount of intrigue, even the domestic part of the plot was filled with suspicion and investigation, and that wasn't really present in this film. It's really obvious that either Winston or Evelyn are the Screenslaver and there isn't as much intrigue about that (which the audience isn't technically supposed to know about) than there was in Elastigirl suspecting Mr. Incredible of having an affair in the first film (even though we know this isn't true).

Mind you, I did still enjoy the film, and the action scenes are quite good. I especially like that they actually included the Underminer. It was neat to see Frozone taking on this whole team of inexperienced heroes, and the pizza guy fight scene, as mentioned, was pretty cool and worked quite well because he had the advantage of sight. Violet vs. Void was probably my favorite fight scene in the film, I really like that little bit where Void teleports inside the forcefield. I'm not sure how much I like all these new heroes being introduced, there alright and work within the story but I don't think any of them will be as endearing as Frozone was, possibly due to their number forcing the plot to treat them as a collective. Void and the crusher guy where cool though.

Oh, and Bao. That was a really good short film, I felt quite engrossed in it.

To me "The Incredibles" is the greatest movie Pixar has made so far. For me at least "The Incredibles 2" had a lot to live up to especially after 14 years of waiting while pixar was craping out "Cars" sequels left and right. Ultimately it's nowhere near the masterpiece it's predecessor was, but is still a worthy successor none the less.

Animation wise it's Pixar at it's finest. All of the characters look amazing and the special effects for the various superpowers were fantastic. A lot of things in the movie feel heavily influenced by Silver Age Comics in terms of design and style that just oozes personality.

The plot was very predictable, but it was still a fun time thanks to the likable cast of entreating and relatable characters. Despite the fact that big twist that Evelyn was the Screenslaver all along was really easy to see coming, the movie still did a really good job making her motivations believable.

Also as a side note I though it was awesome that a voiceover actor like Phill LaMarr was the voice of not one, but two minor characters(Krushauer and He-Lectrix)! There are plenty of talented voice actors that just don't get the recognition they deserve so hopefully we'll see more take minor or even major roles in big, high profile hollywood animated movies in the near future.

Those are just some quick impressions of mine. I would write more, but it's 10:00pm and I don't have the energy to keep going right now.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

Liked it and thought it even held up pretty well to the original. One of those rare movies that's first-and-foremost produced to entertain children, but still has quite a bit going on to engage an adult audience with clever writing and more mature themes.

Its full of messages about law, morality, and empowerment that couldn't be more timely.

It manages to be a feminist film without actually trying to be (the gender roles in the family dynamic of who works and who watches the kids are reversed and that's--perfectly fine), in a way that doesn't come across as forced or beat you over the head with it but just arises from the natural progression of the story.

Favorite part was the scene where Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl have that explosive argument over whether it is correct to obey an unjust law because it is the law, or to break the law because it is unjust.  (that totally doesn't have any real-world relevance or messages for the audience, right???)

...and it just so happens that the law they're arguing over is a law that decided to arbitrarily criminalize an entire group of people + force them to go underground and live on the fringes of society, based on nothing more than populist panic and sensationalist journalism. (hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm)

Edited by Shoblongoo

If anyone is curious about the superheroes theme songs, here are the official versions:

• 1 month later...

Late to the party here. Really wanted to see this film for weeks, but alas it seems there isn't a single cinema in the entire country showing the film in English, so I eventually decided to just watch the Japanese version and see what I could get out of it XD. Thankfully it still wasn't that hard to follow due to ridiculously good quality in the animated expressions. Called the villain the moment I saw her, though I have absolutely no idea what her motivations are. While I was lucky that much of the film was action set pieces, I think they might have went a bit too big, after seeing a giant drill and a train almost cause massive destruction, the ship felt like it had a lot less weight to it, narratively speaking.  I think I liked the first half hour or so the best, when the entire family was together, despite that kind of being the most dialogue heavy, it didn't matter, the animation is just so damn good.