So 8-4 isn't localizing Three Houses

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of the Treehouse woes are overstated. I didn't like everything they did for Fates, like some of the name changes or supports, but it wasn't the total nightmare situation some pretend it is.

On the whole, the changes were either tolerable or for the better.

I'm pretty much the token NOA "apologist" over here, but (a) we literally know nothing else at this point other than 8-4 wasn't involved and (b) Fates' localization was more or less "on par" with Awakening's (where you had stuff like Chrom and Sumia's romantic supports getting derailed into being about pies, the throwback to Naesala and Leanne in Olivia and Donnel's support becoming a generic swan princess story, an overall jokier/sarcastic shift in the dialogue where the JP version was fairly straightforward and self-serious, everybody getting gimmickier voice lines, Walhart going from being a generic dad in his M!Morgan supports to repeatedly threatening to kill him)... both have a lot of little changes that can add up. Most of them I'm neutral towards, with some I approve of and a few I just genuinely didn't like; but IMO they may as well be identical.

Really, I'm thinking things are going to be less pronounced (hopefully) because the release is going to be simultaneous/close together without any time for a fan translation to pop up.

I am with some of the people here. It is too early to tell since we don't have much information to go on. The localization for Fates was certainly not the best but it was okay.

Quoting Newt from Fantastic Beast: Worrying means you suffer twice so best to wait for the final product before you assess. XD 

Edited by Ririn

I'll remind everyone:

Before we got Echoes, 8-4 handled Awakening. And while its woes aren't nearly as well documented as Treehouse's handling of Fates, they injected a lot of stuff into Awakening that was pretty questionable, and they also changed around some characters. They didn't flat out cut content like Treehouse, but it was far from a perfect/faithful localization.

Also to Treehouse's defense, some of the stuff they were tasked with was... really, really difficult to adapt for the west(Skinship and Soliel's whole deal).

So I'll wait and see if Treehouse can redeem themselves like 8-4 did.

My only woes are for VAs, as I think 8-4 did that exceptionally well, and something I doubt Treehouse could replicate.

Edited by Slumber

Only worse things Treehouse really did in Fates imho was they didn't localized the last 2 Scramble DLC, remove specific accessories from the accessory shop yet summer DLC was in your face with the screenshots pointless removal..., remove the hotspring zoom in feature another pointless change, the strange Saizo/Beruka C-Support whether intentional or not and the VA direction (good hits bunch of misses). The face rub thing yeah the change was pointless but felt repetitive since the dialogue isn't that varied at the end result(I'm positive Three Houses will have much more unique dialogue in whatever new character interaction mode IS will implement). Of course NOTHING'S confirmed yet about who's localizing the game if so I do think the reception from Fates localization is definitely loud and clear if it's Treehouse they definitely need to redeem themselves back to good graces. So far for the VA dub Edelgard is fantastic and whoever was singing. I'm definitely keeping my eyes peeled for anything drastic before judging.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

1 minute ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

It was 8-4

Right after I posted that I read Slumber's post and figured it out, but thanks anyway.

16 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

If Treehouse localizes Three Houses, that will make for an incredibly lame pun.

there should be a law against things with rhyming names associating with each other.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

How about we wait and see what Treehouse does first instead of automatically assuming they will fuck it up.

...I'm still steamed over Fates (I'm petty like that), alright.

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

. . .we knew that shortly after the trailer was revealed.

Really?  I guess I must have missed the memo - this is the first I've heard of it, and I didn't see anyone else bring it up.  o-o"

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

I think some of the Treehouse woes are overstated. I didn't like everything they did for Fates, like some of the name changes or supports, but it wasn't the total nightmare situation some pretend it is.

On the whole, the changes were either tolerable or for the better.

I will admit that they did do some good (like changing Leo's line adressing Elise's age so that she was actually an adult...otherwise it was really weird), but I'm still very worried overall.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

I'm pretty much the token NOA "apologist" over here, but (a) we literally know nothing else at this point other than 8-4 wasn't involved and (b) Fates' localization was more or less "on par" with Awakening's (where you had stuff like Chrom and Sumia's romantic supports getting derailed into being about pies, the throwback to Naesala and Leanne in Olivia and Donnel's support becoming a generic swan princess story, an overall jokier/sarcastic shift in the dialogue where the JP version was fairly straightforward and self-serious, everybody getting gimmickier voice lines, Walhart going from being a generic dad in his M!Morgan supports to repeatedly threatening to kill him)... both have a lot of little changes that can add up. Most of them I'm neutral towards, with some I approve of and a few I just genuinely didn't like; but IMO they may as well be identical.

Really, I'm thinking things are going to be less pronounced (hopefully) because the release is going to be simultaneous/close together without any time for a fan translation to pop up.

You bring up some good points, but Treehouse also exasperated Garon's cruelty to the point of making him into a joke, and deleted an entire support just to make a joke, so I'm not sure if Awakening is that bad in comparison, since while I admit that the Donnel and Olivia thing in particular bugs me, they also made Henry a more well-rounded character in the localization (him actually reacting to Olivia's concerns, and his whole pun thing coming from the localization, and making him a little less...grim?  Like he was still a joking kind of character, but they played it up a bit and I think he actually benefited).  I'm still worried, but I'm hoping for the best.

1 hour ago, Ririn said:

I am with some of the people here. It is too early to tell since we don't have much information to go on. The localization for Fates was certainly not the best but it was okay.

Quoting Newt from Fantastic Beast: Worrying means you suffer twice so best to wait for the final product before you assess. XD 

Ehh, I still can't help but worry about them making the antagonists with any sort of dignity into genetic mustache-twirling Saturday morning cartoon characters.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

I'll remind everyone:

Before we got Echoes, 8-4 handled Awakening. And while its woes aren't nearly as well documented as Treehouse's handling of Fates, they injected a lot of stuff into Awakening that was pretty questionable, and they also changed around some characters. They didn't flat out cut content like Treehouse, but it was far from a perfect/faithful localization.

Also to Treehouse's defense, some of the stuff they were tasked with was... really, really difficult to adapt for the west(Skinship and Soliel's whole deal).

So I'll wait and see if Treehouse can redeem themselves like 8-4 did.

My only woes are for VAs, as I think 8-4 did that exceptionally well, and something I doubt Treehouse could replicate.

Awakening's did butcher quite a few things, but I think they generally hit home where it mattered most; Valentia's voice acting and translation was great though.  Good point about the skinship and Soliel though - I'm sure the latter was particularly arduous.

Let's just hope they give good voice direction/get good voice actors; overall they seem to be doing well based on the trailer, but I guess we can only hope for the best.

1 hour ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

Only worse things Treehouse really did in Fates imho was they didn't localized the last 2 Scramble DLC, remove specific accessories from the accessory shop yet summer DLC was in your face with the screenshots pointless removal..., remove the hotspring zoom in feature another pointless change, the strange Saizo/Beruka C-Support whether intentional or not and the VA direction (good hits bunch of misses). The face rub thing yeah the change was pointless but felt repetitive since the dialogue isn't that varied at the end result(I'm positive Three Houses will have much more unique dialogue in whatever new character interaction mode IS will implement). Of course NOTHING'S confirmed yet about who's localizing the game if so I do think the reception from Fates localization is definitely loud and clear if it's Treehouse they definitely need to redeem themselves back to good graces. So far for the VA dub Edelgard is fantastic and whoever was singing. I'm definitely keeping my eyes peeled for anything drastic before judging.

Yeah the voice acting (as I said before) is really good so far, but I'm more worried about the translation of the story itself instead of little things like the accessory shop things (which were pretty superfluous to begin with); though I hadn't heard of the hotspring zoom feature...that's pretty creepy actually, and I'm glad they removed it.

36 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

If Treehouse localizes Three Houses, that will make for an incredibly lame pun.

TREEHOUSES *shot*

as long as they don't try pushing any kind of agenda, and things that were not in the OG script I'll be fine

and I'm not one of those people who want a 1 to 1 translation and get's upset at the smallest of changes, I know not every thing translates perfectly in English and some things don't make much sense in our culture or are natural in our dialog. I understand that some liberties have to be taken from time to time

6 minutes ago, Soleater said:

...I'm still steamed over Fates (I'm petty like that), alright.

Really?  I guess I must have missed the memo - this is the first I've heard of it, and I didn't see anyone else bring it up.  o-o"

I will admit that they did do some good (like changing Leo's line adressing Elise's age so that she was actually an adult...otherwise it was really weird), but I'm still very worried overall.

You bring up some good points, but Treehouse also exasperated Garon's cruelty to the point of making him into a joke, and deleted an entire support just to make a joke, so I'm not sure if Awakening is that bad in comparison, since while I admit that the Donnel and Olivia thing in particular bugs me, they also made Henry a more well-rounded character in the localization (him actually reacting to Olivia's concerns, and his whole pun thing coming from the localization, and making him a little less...grim?  Like he was still a joking kind of character, but they played it up a bit and I think he actually benefited).  I'm still worried, but I'm hoping for the best.

Ehh, I still can't help but worry about them making the antagonists with any sort of dignity into genetic mustache-twirling Saturday morning cartoon characters.

Awakening's did butcher quite a few things, but I think they generally hit home where it mattered most; Valentia's voice acting and translation was great though.  Good point about the skinship and Soliel though - I'm sure the latter was particularly arduous.

Let's just hope they give good voice direction/get good voice actors; overall they seem to be doing well based on the trailer, but I guess we can only hope for the best.

Yeah the voice acting (as I said before) is really good so far, but I'm more worried about the translation of the story itself instead of little things like the accessory shop things (which were pretty superfluous to begin with); though I hadn't heard of the hotspring zoom feature...that's pretty creepy actually, and I'm glad they removed it.

TREEHOUSES *shot*

It really wasn't creepy btw it was extremely tame.

11 minutes ago, Soleater said:

Garon was so generically evil in the first place basically anything could've been better; and removing a single support for the sake of a joke may as well be the same thing as radically altering one to me (I'd rather have nothing in place of Walhart dwelling on the thought of killing his own son).

Henry went from an actor to an actor who believes the act; I know a couple of people who personally hate how he turned out and consider his localized and JP versions completely different characters. His localized version is a comedic sociopath who seems to have a fetish for blood and death; it's a pretty far cry from stuff like Effie and Hisame simply getting a couple more gimmicky voicelines.

On 17/06/2018 at 10:08 PM, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

Only worse things Treehouse really did in Fates imho was they didn't localized the last 2 Scramble DLC, remove specific accessories from the accessory shop yet summer DLC was in your face with the screenshots pointless removal..., remove the hotspring zoom in feature another pointless change, the strange Saizo/Beruka C-Support whether intentional or not and the VA direction (good hits bunch of misses).

They also removed various romantic S ranking from Kana and Soleil, turned the two homosexual supports into generic ones while they were unique in Japan, and there was the disaster that was their voice choice for Effie. 8-4 also handled things like changing Lucina's/Owain's supports to be more platonic in a much smoother way than Tree House's work with Fates. They removed the swimsuits and didn't replace them with anything, leaving some elements (like max bond) with no prize at all. There were also various smaller issues, like how they didn't write Inigo's dialogue with the possibility of him being Chrom's son in mind, making several sentences that should have remained more ambiguous sound out of place. They also changed female Corrin's married Conquest/Birthright ending to be the same as the male one, not realizing that female and male endings were written in different ways in order to match up with each other.

Some of the additions to the dialogue also are quite odd in context. It's clear they disliked the direction of Fates' story, but they never attempted to change the story itself, just flavorful dialogue... which often just made scene dumber, like when they added a bit of dialogue for Xander with him talking about how if good people stand doing nothing, then evil wins... in the middle of a scene that's about Xander and Corrin just watching while Garon kills people who dare to protest against him invading Hoshido (and right after a line from the original about who they must stand there and can't act at that point).

Edited by NeonZ

Just now, NeonZ said:

They also removed various romantic S ranking from Kana and Soleil, turned the two homosexual supports into generic ones while they were unique in Japan, and there was the disaster that was their voice choice for Effie. 8-4 also handled things like changing Lucina's/Owain's support to be more platonic in a much smoother way than Tree Houses' work with Fates.. They removed the swimsuits and didn't replace them with anything, leaving some elements (like max bond) with no prize at all. There were also various smaller issues, like how they didn't write Inigo's dialogue with the possibility of him being Chrom's son in mind, making several sentences that should have remained more ambiguous sound out of place. They also changed female Corrin's married Conquest/Birthright ending to be the same as the male one, not realizing that female and male endings were written in different ways in order to match up with each other. Some of the additions to the dialogue also are quite odd in context.

It's clear they disliked the direction of Fates' story, but they never attempted to change the story itself, just flavorful dialogue... which often just made scene dumber, like when they added a bit of dialogue for Xander with him talking about how if good people stand doing nothing, then evil wins... in the middle of a scene that's about Xander and Corrin just watching while Garon kills people who dare to protest against him invading Hoshido (and right after a line from the original about who they must stand there and can't act at that point).

Oh I DEFINITELY remember those as well...I just didn't include those since my list would've been even longer lol.

I think Treehouse will translate Three houses just fine as long as they are given the proper amount of time. I'm really hoping their work was shoddy due to time constraints on Fates.

Fates had a lot of issues besides the translation problems. It felt like half the team wanted certain features and the other half wanted something entirely different. The two didn't mesh very well with the final product.  I really did think the whole castle thing was cool, cutscenes were outstanding and battle animations were entertaining. The whole mini-game with relationships was strange and whoever designed the maps needs to be replaced. 

It's unfortunate, since I think they did a poor job on Fates due to how many negative changes they made. Notable examples range from Effie's Personality, Soleil's supports reworked, or the Saizo x Beruka B support gutted to make a dumb "haha ninjas are silent" joke. And I'm not even counting the censorship issues the game had like the swimsuits or skinship removal. (since I don't know whether Nintendo above them or Treehouse itself made those calls)

I want an intact game and the dialogue to be localized largely as-is from the source material with nothing cut out/censored, for better or worse. Some changes are unavoidable, but most of what they changed seemed pointless or disruptive at best. (like how that gutted Saizo x Beruka support is still followed by an A support that then makes less sense because it doesn't account for the fact the B support basically got removed) While not all of the game was like that, I still wouldn't want them back after how they handled it overall. 8-4's work had some issues too, but I don't think it was nearly as bad.

While the handling of Fates was sometimes inelegant, it can't be ignored just how problematic the source material was. Wedding and bedding children is...frowned upon in the west, so they had to awkwardly write off Elise and Midori as "technical adults" and M!Kanna got his romance supports rewritten because he's like 10 years old. A bait-and-switch lesbian would not go over well in the west, so Soleil was written into a lesbian leaning bisexual, even though she isn't. Xander was written to be more heroic than he really was because cowardice and blind obedience are not seen positively (which ended up backfiring because his actions don't change, making him a hypocrite). Swimsuits, hot springs and skinship all got neutered because the metric fuckton of fanservice that is par for the course for Japanese media is not what the west is used to (broad strokes, but you get the point).

If I were Treehouse, you would be hearing groans of increasing discomfort from me being asked to make Fates presentable.

If it's Treehouse then I'll give them a chance because the game hasn't come out yet. I just hope to god they don't ignite the flames of "social justice warriors" by a misunderstanding of character's personality or something. Last thing we need is a misinformed mass of angry people. I recall an employee of their's getting fired, but I can't remember was it for that reason or another. Don't quote me on that. If there isn't that much of an issue with localization then they exceeded my expectations. But if it does really bad then I'll just be distrustful of Treehouse when it comes to adapting something from the east to the west. I heard there was an issue with VAs when it came to Treehouse, but I hope they learned from their past mistakes