Tales of Malaketh: Ritual of the Blood Red Night - Part 1: On The Run

Nanami Touko

Oof, Astrid was taking a beating. Even the countess wasn't going to take this well. "Alright, everyone, we're coming in to help her... don't think I can make it fast enough, though..." Alex mumbled some at the end, shaking her head and taking a quick look to her surroundings. She knew one among them... well, not among, but sticking out to the side of the group of radical sun worshippers. "Hey, you're the lady from that shop, what gives? Don't tell me you're with them too..." Sigh. What a grand way to start the morning, Alex couldn't wait to put it all past her.

"Hey! This is a misunderstanding, miss. We just wanna get out of town now and these folks are trying to kill us. Don't you think that's a bit messed up...?" Did she even care? Alex had to take a gamble. "C'mon, miss. What'd we be doing buying clothes yesterday if we wanted to start bad things here?" Alex hoped that would be enough, hoping the shopkeeper wasn't a driven devout as well.

"Hey, you're good with swords, right? Give this one a spin. Gotta make sure your strike hits true." Back to the issue of distance, since she was already engaging  person in conversation, it really was up to the newcomer.

Alex to (13,10), give her iron sword to Mikaela.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seph moved carefully forward, aiming at the man tossing magic around. This would hurt a lot. For the other man. But it shouldn't kill him. Aim, fire. The bullet went straight into the man's knee, resulting in a very alive, but in heavy pain and collapsed on the ground, devotee. Glancing back, he was just able to spot Almira still well behind the fighting. That was good. She should be back there, out of the way of danger. That was their job after all, protecting her, even if it was from humans instead of vampires.

"I... L-Look, we're just... We're just scared! And..." Astrid's huffing, puffing and snarling, they weren't making things easier for The Lazy Owner... Nor was her nearly cleaving the town's guard in half. A terrified shriek escaped her, not wanting any of that! "Just say away from me and I'll leave you alone!" It didn't seem like they were actively trying to kill anyone... That, creature, must've just been angry from all the light magic. "K-Keep it away!"

Sharena was, admittedly, also frightened... If this was the other side of that pleasant coin, she didn't want to trigger it.

The Lazy Owner won't attack as long as you don't stand adjacent to her!

Mikaela gets an iron sword!

Astrid is very angry!
(100% 10%)
(17,1)
Bye!
33 damage, cleaved but good.
Astrid gains +5 EXP, +4 WEXP!

Almira scoots to 10,7, gotta play catchup!

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

As the barrage of lightning rained down on her, Astrid could only allow her instincts to take over. Trying to logic and reason through the scorching, burning pain, searing away at her would have been too much for her mind to bear. It was lucky she had left it to instinct, at least for the Countess' sake, the lightning bolts stopping after a time, their barrage ceased. Had she taken any more blows from that vile light, she surely would have been felled, though that was still a distinct possibility. At some point she had tossed away her smoldering cloak, set ablaze by the raw heat of the devout's assault. The sunlight tingled against her exposed skin, though it was but a gentle sting compared to flesh burned and bubbling from the magical assault. She was unable to properly formulate words for a time, throat mangled and burned too severely to utter more than a guttural growl and hiss in the direction of her assailants. They were each beaten and bleeding in their own right, the Countess having thrown as many of the small hatchets as she could muster whilst enduring their assault. Her hits had been clean, but not fatal. A draw, so far... but she had survived, and her backup was to come far more in force than theirs. 

She had been so focused on the sun cultists that she hadn't retained notice of the guardsman. How foolish, he had been the reason she had taken this foolhardy position to begin with... to shield Sharena from his lance, that would have surely skewered the soft, far more fragile girl. As that lance sunk into her gut, and blood poured out from her mouth, bubbling up her throat in reverse of it's intended direction with a hacking cough, Astrid looked at the man, agony on her face blanked over with fury. Wrath. Rage. Whatever you wanted to call it, Astrid took hold of the lance's shaft, holding it steady as she pulled a heavier weapon, death emanating from her eyes as they cast a blood red glow despite the sun, and her throat screamed a feral roar.

In a single stroke she cleft the guard in half. Swung with such force that she found herself standing instead atop the corpse of one of the magi that had been behind him, killed by one of the others who had come to her aid. At some point, Sharena had healed her, she could feel her voice croak back, still wispy and somewhat broken, but back in existence. She could still feel her primal urges stirring, she had lost too much blood, needed to recoup it, but she could at least speak now, think more clearly than before, even if it was still a heavy mist in place of an incorrigible fog.

"I am... sorry you had to see that, Sharena. I try to... make a point not to allow... my temper to flare. A tad difficult, with so much... pain thrown in the mix."

"Apologies later, action now!" Mina turned and circled around behind the knight, pushing them forward and closer to the action. Well, tried, even with their slight build, moving Misea much was a bit of a struggle for her, physical lifting wasn't really her forte, but thankfully they seemed to get the idea and made it into motion.

Shaking her head, Wilhelmina couldn't help but redden a little. 'Too cute', 'be adorable', really, what was with all that. Glancing again at the newcomer that had scooped her up, unintentionally starting this whole cascade, she found herself hoping the man wouldn't join in with this relentless teasing.

Oh no! That wouldn't do at all, he's been badly hurt. Swiftly approaching, the teacher gently admonished him as she went to work on healing his wounds. "Look, I don't know if that was over-developed chivalry or just what. But, don't get yourself killed here. Please, be careful."

Mina Swaps with Misea.
Mina moves to 14,9.
Mina heals Mikaela.

Edited by Balcerzak

Mina does a heal and Mikaela's HP is back to max
11 exp and 2 WEXP

"We appear to be almost done here, so I'll hold you to that~ You can have all the apologies you wish whilst I hold you in my arms." And now, time to be serious...

Misea smirks off to 15,11

"Astrid, control yourself! We need to make it out of here without making a name for ourselves... I understand the pain you're feeling, but no more messes like this." The guard had been swiftly chopped in twain, it was quite the gruesome sight... Really, it was an unfortunate waste of good blood, but it painted the picture the church wanted more than clearly. 'Monsters'.

The counter did a number on Mikaela, grunting in pain as he stepped back.  This was no good, but he won't go down so easily!  At the offer of a better weapon he smiled through the pain over at Alex, before feeling a much needed heal from Mina.  "Thank you both, I'll make sure to hit and not die for your sakes," he says, before adding a little wink and going back to the task at hand.

you've been given an IRON SWORD for more hit

14,13, pray on an 82!

Mikaela goes to end their mage problem!

(82% 0%)
(74,21)
(49)
A true strike!
9 damage, down the devote goes!
Mikaela gains 40 EXP, +2 WEXP!
Mikaela levels! Level 2:
45    88    48    17    6    1    56    78
HP, Skill, Speed, Luck!

Enemy Phase, Turn 4!

With the clergy dealt with, the rest of the town converged towards the group!

Villager 1 moves to 13,14!
Villager 7 moves to 10,15!
Town Guard 1 moves to 11,16!
Town Guard 4 moves to 11,12!

NPC Phase, Turn 4!

Sharena, worried as she may be, hurries over to Astrid to try and address more of her wounds
Astrid +15 HP!

Player Phase, Turn 5!

vWroRKj.png

Stats!

Almira moves to 13,9!

"Alex... H-Here." Almira's arm was still pretty badly gashed, but she'd stopped bleeding... The impressive powers of vampires at work, it seemed. "This is a bit big for me, but... Maybe you can use it? I'm, s-still hurting too much to try, anyway."

Trade Alex the Armorslayer~

Mins pretended not to hear Misea and moved up to heal Glen prior to the princess coming close enough to divert her attentions. She did end up dangerously close to the countess... And the mess she'd left on the ground, but she tried her hardest not to notice that either.

Glendwr felt like he wasn't moving on his own. Without a second thought, he was moving around the battlefield, shooting at people and leaving them passed out on the cobblestone streets. But now wasn't the time to dwell on that. He quickly brushed past the uninterested clothing store owner to deal with another tin can.

Glendwr moves to 10,11 and fires his Revolver at Town Guard 4.

Mina heals and gets 11 exp and 2 wexp

Glen goes and shoots an armored man!

(100%, 14%)
(66, 48)

A hit! 4 damage

(19, 26)
Another hit! 4 more damage

8 damage total

+11 exp, +4 wexp

Seph follows up with some spooky dark magic!
(95%, 17%)
(51,55)
A hit! 8 damage

(11, 94)
8 more damage!

+16 exp, +2 wexp

That guard sure is hurting now.

Edited by scorri

Leaning back against the fence that she had landed so luckily nearby, Astrid looked over her surroundings, eyes darting from face to face rather wildly. Heaving breaths, and violent shudders wracking her body, even as Sharena tried desperately to heal her. Bless her heart she was trying, but it just wasn't enough. Her veins felt empty, her body screaming, roaring for new, fresh blood, Replace that which was lost, quench your thirst, quench your lust. If she kept this up, she would let Misea down. How could she face the knight if she fouled this up due to her feral urges? Taking a deep breath through her nose to calm down-

-was a mistake. 

Eyes shooting open wide, Astrid looked to her side to see Wilhelmina standing there, next to her. When had she gotten so close? That blasted scent, when she was so weak, it wasn't fair... before she could stop herself, she was already moving, taking hold of Mina from behind, only barely stopping herself as her fangs hovered over the woman's neck. Quivering, sharp breaths escaping her lips, her skin an even more unhealthy pallid than would be expected of a vampire.

"Mina, ahh... I am... sorry. I feel empty, my blood... I feel so... drained. Forgive me." The countess barely managed, her usual composure and teasing entirely absent, as her fangs sunk into Mina's neck.

And so she drank.

Astrid CHOMPS Mina

"Don't just stand there if you don't want trouble, you're in the middle of the road!" Did this shopkeeper just lack common sense? She was putting herself in an extremely inconvenient spot for eceryone. Goodness...

"Ah, um, I should go. Thanks, Almira." Alex wasn't as far from combat as she figured herself, and with Almira hurting, what better time to prove her use taking the brunt of their damage. "Just wait here okay, I..." Something was going on with Astrid on the corner of her eye, but she couldn't let herself be that distracted. "I'm going in."

Alex to (11,11), use her fort. defense, and swing the armorslayer against town guard 4.

Astrid finds out that Mina's blood is the best thing she'll ever taste. Mina HP -5, Astrid HP +20, Skill +5 (2 turns)!

"Shut up! Just leave me alone!" The clothes seller kept herself huddled, it was too much for her to deal with.

Alex sets her stance, ready to parry incoming blows, before swinging hard!

(94% 3%)
(1,79)
13 damage! Down he goes!
Alex gains +44 EXP, +2 WEXP!
Alex levels up! Level 2:
97    21    23    32    46    44    19    1
Strength, Magic, Defense, Res!

Misea hurries and Mikaela scurries!

Enemy Phase, Turn 5!

"You should make haste towards them, Lua. Our people need your help."

"Wh-- What!? Can't you see we're getting overrun? We should be running and--"

"The church does not run, in the face of such creatures. Now go. I shall be along shortly... Lest you wish to test the wrath of the sun."

Lua realizes this may not have been the best idea! She wanders to 14,15 anyway.

Villager 1 sees an opportunity to strike at the currently addled Mina!
(76% 0%)
(79,71)
He missed! Somehow! Okay!
Mina manages to blast him back.
(100% 12%)
(67,6)
???? Righteous fury????
15 damage to the villager!
Mina gains +11 EXP, +1 WEXP!

Town Guard 1 tries his luck against Alex's defenses!
(65% 0%)
(25,15)
He hits, but only manages 6 damage!
Alex swings back a lot harder!
(100% 4%)
(45,81)
15 damage!
Alex gains +11 EXP, +1 WEXP!

Villager 7 is scared, but swings at Glen anyway!
(52% 0%)
(2,88)
14 damage! Ow!
Glen fires back!
(100% 15%)
(63,64)
Also very ow!
Glen gains +11 EXP, +2 WEXP!

NPC Phase, Turn 5!

"A-As... Trid?" Why is she biting that woman, not me? I... If she needed blood... What were all those promises last night for?

Sharena mulls over her life choices and retreats to 14,10!

Player Phase, Turn 6!

em1yFRI.png

Stats!

As the hands clamped down on her shoulders, and the ragged breathing passed uncomfortably close to her ear, Wilhelmina unhappily realized the full extent of her mistake in placement. Surely she could have healed Glen from further away... The lazy owner wouldn't have been scared of her, right? Mina was human, same as she, she wouldn't really have minded, right?

Worthless bargaining ran through her mind, as it tried desperately to deny the inevitable, but there really wasn't much time to get anywhere further. Unlike in the alley, there was no foreplay here--Astrid was all business, slight apology aside. And as the fangs sunk in, Mina's instinctive reaction was again, just like when Almira bit, all wrong and completely counterproductive. Shrugging and trying to somehow push the countess off of her with her shoulders only served to drive the fangs further in, giving her a better, deeper drink than she'd otherwise have gotten. "No! Ugh, ahh. I said... Not the neck," Mina gasped, not really a scream, but definitely unhappy... Until whatever special serum was in the vampire's saliva soaked its way in and worked its little magic. Then she was in some strange... In between.

One of the villagers saw what clearly must have seemed to be an opportunity, and closing in took a swing. But not at the vampire! At her! The victim! Some paragon of righteousness that... Somehow Mina managed to bring her stave up in time to block the blow, and flailing further managed to clock him pretty good in the jaw before finally dislodging herself from Astrid's greedy mouth.

Circling away, buying some precious distance, Wilhelmina took a good hard look at her aggressor. The scorch marks of magic blast impacts and the peeling of skin under the harsh rays of the sun were stark reminder of just how badly the woman had taken things. Could she truly, justly fault her for acting how she had? Watching a bit of color come back to the countess's face--it almost seeming to fill out and become less sunken and haggard than Mina had fancied it initially appeared--she couldn't honestly bring herself to do so.

...Despite wanting to.

Shoving the woman instead, breathing out a grumbly "No promises," in response to the plea for forgiveness, Mina then pushed past her, the teacher staggering slightly as she made her way to her next target. The princess was still wounded after all, she'd put that treatment off long enough and if the sun was only going to keep making things worse...

"Here let's get you fixed up," she said, forcing a plastic smile on her face as she went to work. The, a slight wave of dizziness hit and she raised a hand, steadying herself by leaning against the ally behind her, catching the curious gaze of the shopkeep that had been hanging close to the countless as she did. Was she... Judging her?

"What're you looking at," Mina muttered dismissively and waved in the direction of Seph and the others. "We have work to do if we're all to make it out alive."

Swap with Astrid then moving to 13,10 then healing almira as she sillily makes herself into a vampire sandwich

Edited by Balcerzak

Mina does her best to stave of ecstasy and heal Almira!

Almira back to full, +11 EXP and +2 WEXP for Mina!

"Ah, th-thank you," Almira began, immediately clutching at her nose. Having witnessed Astrid's display, and the fresh holes in Mina's neck, she didn't want that horribly strong waft to enter her own mind and make her do something she'd regret. "Are you, uhm... Are you alright?" It hadn't looked like anything else had happened, but from what Misea had told her, those bites could be... Rather disarming.

Sharena could only scowl at Mina, this woman, so brazen, she didn't even try to shake Astrid off, or act like it had happened. Trying to play it off like that... When she so clearly was enjoying it! "Slut," she grumbled, looking away from that mess, barely managing to stand beside her.

"Colorful commentary," Misea mused, as Mina collapsed against them. The woman wasn't heavy in the slightest, but that smell... They were already surrounded by enough blood, they didn't need this. "Mina, my apologies, but unless you want a matching set of marks on the other side, I suggest you not get so close."

Goodness, that shopkeeper really didn't know how to handle it. It was a mistake to even bother with her. Thankfully, Almira's sword proved to be really useful against the guards, something else for Alex to focus on. There was some commotion to their right, but Alex couldn't really afford paying more attention with a new guard trying to down her. "Eat it!"

Alex attacks guard 1 with her armorslayer. Stand her ground!

Glendwr looked over to Sephtis shooting at the villager who attacked him. Normally, I'd be mad at someone else taking care of my problems, but I don't have the luxury of complaining about  him saving my hide. He moves over to the last villager  near the others. "Apologies."

Glendwr to  15,11 and Revolver Villager 1

A shooting we will go~

(85% 13%)
(39,87)
Pchoo
Exact damage!
Sephtis gains 46 EXP, +2 WEXP!

A slashing Alex goes!

(100% 4%)
(45,5)
The armor topples, the man falls with it!
Alex gains +40 EXP, +2 WEXP!

High ho the villagers, get shot, and then we go~

(100% 15%)
(39,81)
Another one hits the floor
Glen gets +34 EXP, +4 WEXP