Tales of Malaketh: Ritual of the Blood Red Night - Part 1: On The Run

Nanami Touko

Ahh, there was nothing like a warm drink of blood to ease one's pains. Even moreso than that, Mina's blood was simply... as divine as she had imagined it would be from the scent. Unfortunately, Mina herself seemed... less than pleased by the chain of events. Not outright angry, it seemed the schoolteacher was taking some expected enjoyment out of being bitten, but not enough to completely remove the sour taste in her mouth, it would seem. More oddly, Sharena seemed... upset? Why ever might that have been? Astrid couldn't really wrap her head around it, what could have made her upset? She would have to check in with the shopkeep later, but for now...

She felt incredible. Like she could have lifted up one of the houses of this village, and hurled it at the Father causing them this mess. Or perhaps more absurd yet, walked up to him in broad daylight and received his assault without bending, and putting the clergyman down in turn. What an utterly foolish thought, though she felt as if she really could do it. But before that, a somewhat familiar scent, from the enemy combatants? Astrid's lips curled into a frown as soon as her eyes caught the source, a low growl escaping her throat.

"Misea. It's our little sell-out traitor, Ms. Virsk. She was your interest... I leave her fate to you. I can tear her limb from limb, leave her for you to deal with, or even let her go... presuming she's smart enough to take that, were it to be offered. The choice is yours." The Countess called out to the Knight, the rush of adrenaline flooding her making a dear case for the former option... but she had already caused enough of a mess in her own right. Wheel it in, steady Astrid...

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course... Lua must have told the church, what a mess. Misea stared at the girl, now looking rather scared; who wouldn't be? But to put them all in danger like this, over her selfish, baseless fears... "Do what you must... I've already found someone else to pay attention to."

"Of course." Astrid replied, lips turning from a frown into a grin. In what felt like a single step, she had come upon Lua Virsk, axe in hand. And down it came...

Astrid to 14,14, attack Lua with Iron Axe

"N-No...!"

No remorse from the countess.
(100% 8%)
(7,30)
15 hefty damage!
Lua fires back!
(81% 2%)
(34,73)(76)
10 damage to Astrid!
The countess isn't done yet!
(65,19)
But Lua is...
"I knew, it... You're all... Mon, hhghk..."
Astrid gains +3 EXP, +3 WEXP

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

As her axe came down, easily tearing into the frail mage, Astrid braced herself for the counterattack. It came, and thanks to being more blasted light magic under the loathsome sun, it certainly stung... it would only take one more swing to end the traitor, but what a scared, pathetic whimper that was. Rather than bring her axe down a second time, Astrid instead pulled back her fist, lodging it rather harshly into Lua's jaw, dropping the mage in the process.

"Pathetic. Bleed out or survive, I don't care which. You aren't worth the effort, and won't bring us harm again, either way." The Countess noted as Lua fell, likely not hearing it either way, She still felt strong, immensely powerful, but... her head was starting to clear, her rage was filtering out. All replaced by a divine sweetness that she still kept tucked in the corner of her mouth, loathe to swallow the last of it.

Glendwr cringed as Astrid's fist hit Lua's face. That had to be the hardest punch he'd ever heard. Much as she probably deserved it for selling them out, it was nonetheless brutal. "I could feel that all the way over here, damn!" He then looked further at the priest of this chapter of the Church of the Sun. "Oh, I think he's really mad, now. I think we need to teach him a thing or two about humility. Or just keep running. It's really your choice, sir. " Glendwr was ready to do whatever Misea needed him to do.

"Whatever works out best for us," Misea replied, giving both Lua and Mina one more glance, before heading away from that damning scent. There were still a few houses with open doors, if these folk were going to harass anyone else for reinforcements, Misea wanted to make sure they stayed out of this first.

Almira felt the same! "Thank you," she said again, before dipping. Mina was... A problem.

Misea to 9,12, Almira to 18,9

As he continued to make his way towards one of the houses, he watched as the countess struck one of the mages, but before that he was certain he had sensed some tense atmosphere between the two, as well as Misea.  Not one to pry (oh who was he kidding, he loves to pry), Mikaela simply left the vampires to their dealings as he continued to move.

Mikaela to (23,14)

Scoot scoot goes the Mikaela~

Enemy Phase, Turn 6!

As Father Cliff watched in disappointment, the villagers were taken care of, one after the other... Even his own followers had been dealt with, but only one man had died today. Why, why not kill them all? These were monsters! The most evil beings from the blackest nights... "No... No, I see..." They were going to lay them all low, and then take their time, feasting upon the wounded! "Not today, you foul beasts! Face my magic and be laid to rest as you deserve!"

Cliff holier than thous off to 15,16!

NPC Phase, Turn 6!

Sharena stays put! Grumpin'!

Player Phase, Turn 7!

K2hfyC0.png

Stats!

That sword felt really good to swing, that was a keeper as far as Alex cared.

But in other news, the head honcho of the Sun Inquisitors had decided to get his feet working, still seeming as mad as somebody starting a witch hunt this early had to be. "Uh, hey girl, I think he ain't gonna discriminate us humans from vampires right now, better off stepping back." Wouldn't do to let this new girl be the target of his ire, even if Alex had no idea why she seemed so upset.

"He's coming, get yourself ready, Glen." That guy seemed like he could take some light magic. That coat had to be good for something, right?

Alex to (14,9), rescue Sharena.

Glendwr looked all around. Everything that happened just now, everything, was the priest's fault. Alex warned him he was coming. "I'm ready for him. This ends, now." With nearly the same anger in his eyes Astrid had, Glendwr glared and retreated slightly as he took a bottle out of his bag. " You bastard! " He splashes the water all over his clothes. "Are you willing to die over this farce?! Haven't enough people been hurt today?! If you be a man, you will answer my challenge and mine alone! No one innocent has died today, and I will keep it that way! I am not a righteous man, but neither are you! I may serve monsters, but so do you! We are no different! Your arrogance blinds you, and thus you must die! Come, then! Render your judgement! " Glendwr keeps his hand near his holster.

Glendwr moves to 14,10 and expends 1 use of Pure Water.

Edited by Hylian Air Force

Mina couldn't but frown as the princess plugged her nose, unmistakably indicating she didn't like what she was smelling. Of course the teacher still couldn't tell her own scent, much less control it, but it hurt nonetheless to know one's odor was offensive. It must've been something of the countess's doing... hopefully.

"I've lived through a couple bites already now," Mina smiled weakly. "One more for the collection oughtn't do me in just yet. And you? That guardsmen did a bit of a number on you..."

Wilhelmina's concern was cut short by a biting remark from the peanut gallery, however. Her blood ran cold as she registered the slur slung her way, and her eyes widened to saucers in surprise before narrowing to slits in anger. The woman's obvious concern with Astrid--whom she'd appeared with some ways out in the town, apart from the rest of the group--and now this volatile reaction, well that painted an all too clear a picture, and Mina was having none of it.

"Look here, hussy," she hissed an epithet of her own. "Not my goal. I'm not your competition, so just... shove off."

This might has been more convincing had the companion they'd been using for support not chimed in with a 'friendly' warning, fit to make her blush. Matching bite marks, really, who would... want such...

Mina slowly, almost sluggishly, shook her head... then quickly, conspicuously so, stepped away from the knight, away from the princess, away from everyone and sighed in exasperation. No she'd done nothing wrong, everything was fine. Misea was just teasing and it was better that Astrid bit her than one of the others, like say Seph or Alex. If a little sacrifice on her part could keep the younger members safe and unbit, that was noble of her, wasn't it? To be applauded rather than reviled as something base.

As she tried to convince herself further, Mina scanned the battlefield, checking up on those she was worrying over... And others that apparently needed her attention as well. Feeling like she'd only just healed him recently, Mina went back to work on Glen's wounds.

Edited by Balcerzak

"You're not fooling anyone you skank-- h-hey! Put me down!"

Alex rescues Sharena!

Glen chugs for great magical victory!

and poor in denial Mina heals his wounds, while contemplating pointy teeth, for 11 EXP and 2 WEXP

Meanwhile, away from drama, Almira visits the house at 20,10!

"Who's... Ahhh! A v-v-v-v-vamp... L-Leave us alone! Take whatever you want, just... Auuuhhh!"

"W-Wait! I'm..." Alas, the villager had dashed up their stairs to hide. "Well, geez... I'm not here to hurt anyone... Take whatever I want...?"

Almira spies a rather fancy looking tome and nabs it. Don't tell anyone!

Thunder get!

Lastly, Misea heads towards another open door, intent on shutting it, and keeping more people out of this. To 4,12!

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

13-9, take Sharena and drop her on 12-9

"Uhm... Here, come stand behind me. I'm grateful for you helping us, but you should stay out of the way probably. I don't think that priest of your village is going to care too much who gets in the way of his fury. It's safer if you stay back here, ok?" Seph did his best to guide their apparent new companion behind him, as well as away from all the arguments that seemed to be happening...

Seriously now, this was perplexing. Why would the two of them be going at one another like this, when they had such pressing issues to deal with? Speaking of pressing, the Father was approaching, and as much as her newfound vigour was egging her on, she wasn't at full strength. Light magic, even from someone like Lua, was painful under the sun. Best to retreat for now, and hope to swoop in on the man later. A small bit of time to address this tomfoolery while they prepared, at least.

"Just what has gotten into the both of you? If you had a prior history I was unaware of, I apologize, but is this really the time or place to be cat-fighting?"

Astrid retreats to 14,8

Getting set about like a sack of potatoes wasn't the best feeling, but at least Sharena could try and address this, now. "Wh-Why did you bite her instead of me? I was right there, too... After everything you did to me last night, I... You made them seem so intimate, was that just a lie to speed things along?"

Enemy Phase, Turn 7!

"A man of this town lies dead at your feet, do you close your eyes to your own atrocities? There is only one group of arrogance here, and I shall cure your disease!"

Cliff to 15,11, zzzzap Glen!
(85% 7%)
(6,84)
"Feel the power of the sun!"
11 damage for Glen!
He fires back!
(76% 6%)
(21,1)
"By the grace of the sun...!"
39 damage!
Glen gets +18 exp, +2 wexp!

NPC Phase skipped, one grumpy lump!

Player Phase, Turn 8!

lIvcbTY.png

Stats!

Astrid's attempts to defuse the situation luckily didn't seem to escalate things much, earning only a confused glare from Mina. Prior history? Hardly, sure, she'd visited Wares but nothing more than that. Then came Sharena's surprisingly straightforward complaint to Astrid, which actually did a bit to switch the target of her ire. To be fair, it still stung to be called a skank, but to find out just how quickly Astrid had moved on from flirting with her to just, sweeping some other unsuspecting lass off her feet instead, well that was... that was. Mina clenched her fist and felt better about her refusal... and worse about having lost her first kiss to that.

But in spite of everything, it was all too obvious how much they needed the countess's strength on the road, and so she grit her teeth, girded her courage and approached to heal the vampire.

Mina heals Astrid

Edited by Balcerzak

Mina uses her magical prowess to extend her arm two squares over and heal Astrid. 11 exp 2 wexp yadda yadda

Misea visits the house on 3,15!

"Hmm... Empty. And in a hurry, as well. Probably scared off in the commotion... Oh, what's this?" Between the tossed over tables and a few broken plates, sat an elixir. "Well, finders keepers, I suppose... I doubt they'll be back for it any time soon."

One Elixir to Misea.

"Intimate? I suppose they are pleasurable, but I've never met a vampire that considered biting an intimate affair. I... hope I did not mislead you into thinking as such, Sharena. It seems there may be things to discuss, once this is done with. Speaking of, I think you've done quite enough blustering today, Priest. Time to end this." Astrid replied, her expression settling into frustration. Enough had gone wrong today, further misunderstandings simply wouldn't do. Well, at least one problem could finally be extinguished... stepping towards the Father, Astrid bared her axe.

"This could have all been avoided, had you simply stepped aside and let us leave in peace."

Astrid moves to 15,10 and hatchets Cliff

"Do you not fear the sun!? Monsters! MONSTERS!"

Astrid swing~
(98% 1%)
(40,34)
Home run!
10 damage, down goes Cliff
"Back to the night... With all, of you...!"
Astrid gains +84 EXP, +2 WEXP
Level up! Level 3:
36    44    13    5    58    1    49    26
Hp, Strength, Skill, Luck, Res!

Goddess Icon to Astrid.

Map over!

BEXP:
Houses visited +40
Boss kill +50
NPCs left alive +30
Total: 120

"But you... And everything you did... You even said..." Now Sharena was just confused, and feeling rather lied to. Astrid had definitely saved biting her until the end for the express purpose of making things feel better. Was that not it? Had she remembered wrong in the throws of passion? Maybe... But...

"We're leaving, the lot of you!" Misea had dashed back over, waving everyone towards the wagon. "No dawdling or I will leave you behind! We've done enough damage here to leave a trail for days."

It only took a few more moment to get everyone packed into the wagon, and Misea snapped the reins hard, getting the horses moving. A few more villagers and another group of guards had come into view as they left... Hopefully they weren't sent on a chase. "What a mess... I know a fairly decent place to stop to get ourselves cleaned off, so just... Hang tight, everyone... And my apologies. This was all my fault. I hope... If you'd like dropped off at the next town, let me know. Gods, what a mess..."

Almira sat at the back of the wagon, clutching her knees. She wasn't rocking, nor did she seem distressed, she was just... Down. The people here had seemed so nice... But flip that switch and suddenly... "I don't get it," she whined, to nobody in particular, sighing.

And Sharena, well... She sat next to Astrid, arms folded, waiting for some sort of explanation. I threw away my life for this... I could've just, gone onto the next town, had a fun time, relaxed... Why me?

With Cliff falling to her axe, the lot of them quickly made to the wagon, and off they went. Misea was apologetic for Lua's betrayal, Almira seemed to be coping, but not especially well, seeming upset... and Sharena was clearly not pleased. Seems it was time to clear things up, or at least attempt to.

"Right, Sharena. Where to begin... I suppose biting. While it's true that it is pleasurable for those being bitten, and I take great care to ensure as such when I am delivering a bite... most of the time. In times of desperation, one's wits can slip... I truly hope all of you will forgive my ghastly display earlier. Anyway, as true as that is, most vampires would not consider drinking an intimate act... it is a means of sustenance for us, after all. I forget at times, that such things can be misconstrued, in parts where not much is known about us. I had no intention to mislead you."

Once he was safely on the wagon, Glendwr opened his coat to look at the damage the deluded diocese dished out. He saw the sunburn like mark on his skin, and then pulled out the bottle of Pure Water. "Good thing I used some of this, otherwise this would've been a lot worse, and I'm not even the v-word. Oh, well. I must have paid back his charity 3 times over, and Lady Astrid getting in the last word of this debate was gold. I only wish this victory of ours came at a better time. 3 vampires and 2 murders ain't gonna make us real popular for a while. But if this hideout works out, people might forget we even exist. " Glendwr kept his pistol ready, just in case anyone from the village got any funny ideas.

"And down to the eternal night he goes..." This whole situation was fucked. The sooner they were out of there, the better. "Sorry, shopkeep."

---

Thankfully the wagon was packed up and moving now, the village would be out of sight in a matter of minutes. Alex was relieved that they were leaving that atmosphere, at that point. Too bad it was still fairly early, she'd probably snooze again. "Yeah, hopefully somewhere more quiet. Ain't feeling like dealing with people after that." Honestly...

Alex sat beside Misea, this time, she didn't want to turn toward the village at any moment, so watching the horses seemed a much better prospect. "It's real sad that it ended up like that... I guess, all these things they say about vampires really does more harm than good." In retrospective, Alex probably would be one of the angry mob if she hadn't met Almira and Miseathe way she did...