Wait, is there no difference in stats between mounted and ground units?

Zorafin

I was under the impression mounted units were supposed to have lower stats to compensate for their increased mobility and ability to move after attacking.  But I just compared stats between mounted and ground units, and they're virtually identical.  Well what's the point of using any ground unit then?  

Its been a while, but I believe mounted units in Radiant Dawn did have lower caps then non mounted units. That alongside the movement penalty ensured they where the most meh cavalries in quite some time.

In Path of Radiance I recall that Paladins had high stats all around, good caps, a way to greatly increase their speed, super canto, high movement and a second weapon upon promotion. I have no idea why they made cavalries so absurdly powerful there.

mounts loose 2 move indoors and many of them miss on the sweet 34 speed for hard mode endgame aura doubling.

They're also not rescue-able, from what i remember.

also i think canto takes up more skill points, so there's also that.

also a lot of mounts have horrible availibility in fe10 outside of Jill/Haar/Titania/Oscar.

in fe9, well....the only non-mounted units that I remember that aren't top/high tier in that game are Ike and Boyd.

also in fe9 you can choose the paladin's second weapon on promotion. this lets you give lances/axes to everyone as a second weapon choice. 

Edited by Czarpy

I suppose in PoR it's not just that mounts are awesome but also that foot units suck more then usual. Myrmidons, Archers and Knights are basically all at their worst from the GBA games and then some. Myrmidon's have no power, the Archers Rolf and Shinon have terrible bases for their jointime and Armored Knights have no mobility, accuracy, agility or resistance. Mages also have seen better days. Mercenaries don't exist, Boyd is the only fighter unless you count Largo who joins very late. Nephenee is probably okay. Similar low Strength as Myrmidons but Lances should be able to compensate for that to some degree and they also allow for 1-2 range. But Danved is just a bit too low in every area.

In Radiant Dawn this aspect is significantly more balanced. Well, unless your name is Haar. Then the world is your oyster.

Edited by BrightBow

Radiant Dawn mounts do have lower base stats and lower/more well-rounded caps than infantry, but the former can be mitigated by generous personal bases and the latter isn't completely true. Seraph Knights and Dragonlords are arguably on par or better than some infantry.

Stat differences rarely make a substantial difference anyway, it's typically limited to some endgames and PvP which a minimal section of the fanbase touches. (And in the more recent games, Pair Up trivializes the stat differences.)

So it's supposed to be that cavalry are weaker than infantry to compensate for their higher movement, but they just forgot to do that in Path of Radiance, making cavalry overpowered in that game.

Well that's a shame.

• 3 weeks later...

In theory yes. Oscar isn't as powerful as Boyd, as fast as Mia, as defensive as Gatrie, his ranged weapon isn't as 'good' as Shinon and gets no bonuses and his 'edge' is that he has higher movement.

In practice, Oscar is more defensive than Boyd, Stronger than Mia, and faster than Gatire with a better ranged weapon than Shinon and they barely have anything to compete back. FE has been tilted in favor of the mounted units for a long time since, even if their stats are 'lower' they need to have the stats to get the job done, and if they have the stats to get the job done than there's little reason to get the over-invested foot soldiers who have lower movement to boot. Plus with lances being so common any unit who can use axes gets a big boost and almost all mounted units can get axes while plenty of foot soldiers are mono-locked out. It's a bit better in RD where the advantages of the foot soldiers becomes more appearent but mounted units still get great all-around marks.

Edit: And to top it off they all have things like great support bonuses and Paragon. 

Edited by Snowy_One