I really hope this game is taking more influenece from tellius/echoes than fates.

With 8-4 now confirmed to not be localizing this game, and the avatar seemingly being all but confirmed at this point, I'm now preparing for another fates-type game that's more about player customization and options, rather than better world building and character development, at least compared to the older games.

I don't really care if anyone likes these games in the sense that I don't look down on them for liking fates or whatever...but I personally truly do prefer the old games, and I was really hoping that they'd take what worked in echoes even further in the next game. Echoes and especially Ike's games, they're some of my favourite games ever made, whilst stuff like fates are still fun but nowhere near as good as the others for me personally.

Sure I could be dead wrong (and I hope I am for that matter) about all this, but unfortunately echoes didn't sell nearly as well as awakening and fates, so I guess I should've seen it coming that they'd bring back another avatar and stuff. It's just a massive shame not only that the game was delayed (meaning I don't have any new games coming out that I want to buy this year now) but also it might not even be the type of fire emblem I really care about in the first place!

Hopefully I'm wrong about all of this!!!

Also, when I think of fire emblem, I think of Jill with her character development, or Soren opening up about why he's so cold and bitter all the time. I truly adore these characters and am also heart broken that we likely won't see them ever again in a main fire emblem ;_; RIP Jill, the ultimate fire emblem character...

th.jpg

I can agree with your sentiments and apprehensions about the next game whole heartedly. It's why for right now I'm holding back any excitement for the game until I know more. At the moment things look pretty good from what the trailer showed but I can't really say for sure until we know more such as overall premise of the plot, details about the game mechanics in paticular Combat Arts and Formation. I'm interested and curious to see how the game  will unfold and continue to reveal itself. But for now I am reserving all hype for when I feel more confident about this game.

You might want to play the Jugdrael games seeing as you like the Tellius games so much, assuming you haven't played them yet already of course. I agree with you about Jill. I sometimes wonder if she or Titania are my favorite it's often hard for me to decide between them.

The game having an avatar and the possibility of another localization company who's not 8-4 doesn't mean this game will turn out like Fates. 

1 hour ago, Dinar87 said:

I don't really care if anyone likes these games in the sense that I don't look down on them for liking fates or whatever...but I personally truly do prefer the old games, and I was really hoping that they'd take what worked in echoes even further in the next game. Echoes and especially Ike's games, they're some of my favourite games ever made, whilst stuff like fates are still fun but nowhere near as good as the others for me personally.

This game looks to like it's shaping up to be completely different from many games we've experienced so far.  It's fine to prefer the old games, but don't spoil potentially new Fire Emblem game for yourself either, especially before they've come out.   I'm a bit nervous about the plot myself, but I'm going to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Dinar87 said:

Sure I could be dead wrong (and I hope I am for that matter) about all this, but unfortunately echoes didn't sell nearly as well as awakening and fates, so I guess I should've seen it coming that they'd bring back another avatar and stuff. It's just a massive shame not only that the game was delayed (meaning I don't have any new games coming out that I want to buy this year now) but also it might not even be the type of fire emblem I really care about in the first place!

I'm going off unreliable sources so please take this next sentence with salt.  You have to remember that Echoes was a remake and not a mainline game, which Fates and Awakening were, so the sales expectations for Echoes were probably different due to that.  Still, I was under the impression that Echoes did well despite being a remake.  My point is that it's flawed to use Echoes' sales numbers as a litmus test for the future of the Fire Emblem series.

Honestly, I'm facing a similar concern that Three Houses may not be the Fire Emblem that I want either, but that's why I'm hoping for the best, preparing for the worst, and for the rest, it's not worth worrying about.  If worst comes the worst, then the old games will always be there.  Three Houses is not going to come out for a while so there's plenty of time for more reveals and shocking news.

SoV was a remake so of course it didn't have all the bells and whistles of modern FE. Just because TH might have an Avatar doesn't mean it will continue everything the 3DS era had. We've seen no indication of Pair up for example and since formations are a thing it seems very unlikely to be there as well. Likewise we know nothing of how supports will work, but since romance is apparently implied by the Japanese title they may take the marriage system and link it more closely to the story, which could actually be a good thing (see: Jugdral). Until we get more information there's no cause to be either too optimistic nor too pessimistic. It looks like they want this game to have its own identity (don't make me regret this vote of confidence IS) so we'll just have to wait for the next trailer.

Okay...

1) There's more than likely a better place to express this sentiment than just making a thread dedicated specifically to it, or if there isn't there's most certainly a better title you could've given it than "I hope it's more like this game than that game" because that's a leading statement that doesn't set a good tone for the thread.  If I made a thread like this, the title would be something like "Which game(s) do you hope Three Houses will take inspiration from".  Then from there, I'd express my opinion in the original post.

And...

2) I personally would want it to be more like the Jugdral games in terms of overarching story and Echoes in terms of how supports are handled (albeit with probably more supports; basically a happy medium between that and Fates).  I'm not a huge fan of the focus on marriage and children, at least how it has been done in Fates and Awakening, but I also don't like only being able to gain five supports per character like in the Tellius and GBA games.  Though beyond all else, I just want it to be its own game; still FE, but I don't want it to be iterative.  So really, I'd want it to find inspiration outside of FE.

Also, and this is just my personal opinion, but the character development in Fates - at least in the supports - is actually nice when you aren't just dealing with a pair that was forced together just because they gotta marry.  They shouldn't have, like, 70 characters total, because I wager at least a seventh of those characters are kind of just gimmicky fluff, but I don't mind it if we get more characters of the same quality as Oboro or Leo.  Though we don't need a repeat of the Awakening Trio showing up in Fates.

This is not a good title... it's hard not to get offended by it. It also has a very personal tone.

But anyway... I think you'd like to know that Echoes was successful. Remakes and spin off are held by a different standard in the industry, they can't ever sell the same numbers as the main (and original) series. As I said in another topic, the statistic and estimates made for remakes and spin offs are very different from those made for the main titles. So IntSys wasn't discouraged by the fact it didn't sell as much as Awafates, they know that's impossible for a remake/spin-off. In that sense, Echoes did great, and it's not crazy to imagine a Jugdral remake in the future.

Good luck getting the game you want, I guess...