My predictions for the inevitable FE tropes in this game

If we have an avatar again, I think they're gonna suck at cooking. We're already batting 1000 with this, so Wynaut?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/25/2018 at 10:49 AM, Akaliko said:

The obviously untrustworthy guy who surprises the main characters with the fact that he's in fact been working against them all along.

With an equally trustworthy mustache and heroic cackle.

My list of tropes that could happen (in a spoilers tab because of size):

Spoiler

The Cain and Abel archetype

A Jagen/Oifey

An Est

A Lena as the first healer

The return of a Bord and Cord

An Ogma

A proper Navarre

A Jeorge (Hahaha, I was actually royalty all along!!)

A prodigy mage (can be male or female... I'd like one of each)

The mounted healer

A cool recruitable character that requires a complex method like a sidequest or something

A Gharnef enemy

A Gotoh unit

Young dragon (confirmed)

A Camus enemy (hopefully recruitable dammit!!!)

A plot important person who dies (although I hope not, it's overused)

Corrupt church (seriously hoping its not all evil, just a few officials or something... this JRPG trope is overused)

Supports

Cliche gimmick character(s)

A skimpy dressed character (ugh noooo...enough sexualizedĀ females. Maybe try some male characters???)

A likable enemy that you have no choice but to kill/defeat/whatever (like the Camus above IĀ hopeĀ not)

A fan favorite character having a plotline death (If they do this, at least flesh out the character so we feel something about it)

Anime tropes that everyone hates (no comment...)

A dragon for the final boss (please NO)

Pegasus Knights and Wyvern Knights (because riding on either of those is cool)

A devoted servant who does everything for their master (the Frederick/Jakob)

A clumsy person (maybe a boy this time????)

Two or more characters that likeĀ to argue

A thief or other criminal who joins you (or more than one)

Anna

A legendary sword (probably confirmed)

Ā 

Edited by PrincessAlyson

• 1 month later...

An Infantry Cleric will be the first healer recruited, followed by a mounted one.

A dragon final boss.

An eating enthusiast (a la Effie and Stahl).

Once again, Eliwood remains the only parent to a Lord character to ever survive a Fire Emblem plot

A unit that starts with garbage hit rate (Bartre and Nyx)

Weird cases of rescuing characters from cells... ready with their mount for some reason

Edited by Arcphoenix

1 hour ago, Arcphoenix said:

Once again, Eliwood remains the only parent to a Lord character to ever survive a Fire Emblem plot

Didn't Eliwood's mother survive FE7?

As for the topic at hand, I can't really think of anything that jumps out at me that hasn't already been said. (Or I'm just lacking that much sleep and unable to think straight.)

Edited by Light Strategist

52 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

Didn't Eliwood's mother survive FE7?

As for the topic at hand, I can't really think of anything that jumps out at me that hasn't already been said. (Or I'm just lacking that much sleep and unable to think straight.)

Huh. Actually I had forgotten. I think she did. Eliwood is the only father of a Lord to ever survive a Fire Emblem plot then.

Ā 

On that note, some others:

Patricide (adopted parents count)

Dude who looks like a lady and is probably a healer

Sister whose taste in men is basically her brother to which no other man can surpass

Precious cinnamon rolls

Edited by Arcphoenix

Here are some of my predictions:

• A politically/militarily high-ranking human villain whose ambition leads to their downfall.
  • Enemies wear helmets, but the heroes don't.Ā 
  • Bandits act as the early chapter villains.
  • A fiercely loyal mercenary/hero who joins early with great stats and continues to be great throughout the rest of the game (this is more something I'm hoping returns than something I'm predicting returns). In case this isn't clear, I'm referring to the Ogma archetype.Ā 
  • A young mage who is loyal to the protagonist and starts with a wind spell.
  • Someone who joins in the final chapter with good stats and a powerful weapon.
  • A young green-haired archer who joins early on, and an already promoted archer with a much more serious personality.
  • A mysterious legendary swordsman with girl trouble.Ā 
  • A military leader who bears no ill will towards you, but cannot be recruited because of their loyalty to an enemy kingdom or person.
  • A Pegasus Knight has an unrequited crush on either Dimitri or Claude.Ā 
Edited by vanguard333

On 8/11/2018 at 1:22 AM, Arcphoenix said:

Sister whose taste in men is basically her brother to which no other man can surpass

Is this really so common to be considered a fire emblem trope? All I can think of is Lachesis but that is it.

15 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Is this really so common to be considered a fire emblem trope? All I can think of is Lachesis but that is it.

I don't know about taste in men, but "no woman is good enought for my brother" seems to pop up from time to time.Ā 

Here'sĀ some I think will make the cut

• Early game archer who sucks ass
  • That one character they made way too powerful for some reason (Seth, Milady, Camilla, Ryoma)
  • Worthless "Est" that ether shows up 4 chapters Ā before the final map, or the one who joins earlier but has Ā terrible bases and bad growths for an Est, so also worthless.
  • Mid game pre-promote with awesome bases and good growths that can decimate every enemy that comes into contact with them
  • pointless last minute unit recruited 2 maps Ā before the end of the game but has a really good item/weapon
  • fanservice character ( i'm betting both a male and female)
  • Mega late promotions for lord characters
  • Quiet, demure healer
  • Dancer type unit who comes midway with atrocious bases
  • The character that we'll all hate.
  • The church was evil and corrupt the whole time.
  • the campus archetype Ā I don't care about killing because Ā ā€œ My country is obviously evil has committed crimes against humanity/ patriotism overrules common sense Ā and morality for some idiotic reason/ iā€™m only here to die so you feel bad but you won't because my actions and motivations are unclear and/or don't make any senseā€.
  • The character who isn't playable who dies early on who weā€™re supposed to care about for some reason despite knowing them for less than an hour
  • x number of magical macguffins that seal the evil demon away
  • stationary bosses
  • hammy crit quotes

17 hours ago, Sage of the Mist said:

Here'sĀ some I think will make the cut

• Early game archer who sucks ass

Is the archer being terrible really part of the trope? I'll think back: Gordon, Rolf starts really bad and under-leveled but becomes alright, Leonardo, Virion... You may have a point.Ā 

• Mega late promotions for lord characters

Seeing as the last two (non-remake) games got rid of story-driven promotions entirely, this likely shouldn't happen.Ā 

• Quiet, demure healer

How often are the healers demure and quiet? The only three that I can think of off the top of my head are Sakura, Lena and maybe Laura. If anything, there's more that are far away from this: Mist, Lissa, Maribelle, Elise, Micaiah (who, while quiet at times, is more stoic than demure), and, while demure could describe Elincia early in Path of Radiance, by the time she becomes playable in either game, she's gained a massive boost in confidence.Ā 

19 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

to me it seems to be more a trope in anime if nothing other than to scratch that otaku incest fetish but otherwise I don't see too often in fire emblem which is a good thing.

18 hours ago, Sage of the Mist said:

Quiet, demure healer

I think a better name for this tropeĀ would be cute little sister-esque healer. Because when you think about it those types of characters are almost always healers and they're almostĀ in every game. You got mist, lissa, mary, elise, sakura, and Lachesis. Can't really speak for Fe 7, FE 6, or FE 5 cause I haven't played those but that seems to be the general rule.

11 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Ā 

How often are the healers demure and quiet? The only three that I can think of off the top of my head are Sakura, Lena and maybe Laura. If anything, there's more that are far away from this: Mist, Lissa, Maribelle, Elise, Micaiah (who, while quiet at times, is more stoic than demure), and, while demure could describe Elincia early in Path of Radiance, by the time she becomes playable in either game, she's gained a massive boost in confidence.Ā 

You're forgetting Adean, Genny, Natasha, Ellen, Priscilla, Coirpe, Deirdre, Nanna, Mana, Safy, and Malliesia. So yeah I would say this isĀ Ā a well established archetype/ trope.

54 minutes ago, Sage of the Mist said:

You're forgetting Adean, Genny, Natasha, Ellen, Priscilla, Coirpe, Deirdre, Nanna, Mana, Safy, and Malliesia. So yeah I would say this isĀ Ā a well established archetype/ trope.

Thanks. To be fair; I did say "that I could remember".Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Otts486 said:

I think a better name for this tropeĀ would be cute little sister-esque healer. Because when you think about it those types of characters are almost always healers and they're almostĀ in every game. You got mist, lissa, mary, elise, sakura, and Lachesis. Can't really speak for Fe 7, FE 6, or FE 5 cause I haven't played those but that seems to be the general rule.

I agree; this would probably be a better description of it.

Edited by vanguard333

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • A stoic myrmidon (being an edgelord is optional).
  • A young and inexperienced, but skilled and intelligent, trainee.
  • A mercenary whoĀ starts out only being in it for the money, but over the course of the story allies with the heroes because they genuinely believe in their cause.
  • A mercenary who really is only in it for the money, and may betray the player and join an opposing faction depending on gameplay factors. They may or may not be able to recruit them again.
  • A quiet yet loyal and diligent knight.
  • An outgoing, energetic, and talkativeĀ knight. While part of this is their natural personality, they also fear being forgotten and ignored, and thus try to make an impressionĀ on others (and the player) so they'll be remembered.
  • A Jeigan that'sĀ a veteran of a past war, and is already satisfied with their accomplishments as a soldier. Thus, they focus more on having everyone come out alive and letting "the youngin's have their fun" (I.E. helping/letting others get kills in gameplay. Story/Support-wise, they actĀ as a laid-back mentor that helps people to their feet, but ultimately lets them choose their own path) than on furthering their kill count.
  • A shapeshifter that starts out with a hatred of humans based on their past actions and evils (personal or not), but undergoes character development and starts to realizeĀ that they are no less pure and that lumping a whole group of people into a group is wrong.
  • A shapeshifter that's older and wiser than their counterpart above, and has a more balanced view of humans. They may still have to work through some personal bigotry and/or grudges.
  • A mage that's also a scientist.
  • A dark mage that uses dark magicĀ out of pragmatism more than anything else. They see it as a powerful weapon, and nothing more.
  • A half-crazed mage that loves fire magic because they can blow stuff up.
  • A healer that's a veteran of a past conflict, where they were a combat medic. They hate violence, but aren'tĀ naive in the slightest for reasons
  • The sheltered, somewhat bratty noble that you have to rescue from either bandits or enemy forces. Maybe as a twist on the archetype, they're actually a well-trained warrior, but aren't exactly experienced with life outside of their estate, so while they'll face hardships without complaint, they have some odd ideas on what qualifies as a "hardship" (For instance, they'll push through camping in the rain without much shelter and having to get their own food instead of having it be brought to them with the same amount of dignity).
  • A male manakete thatĀ looks either like a young child or a teen. They may cynically use their younger looks to their advantage, but they may also be more mature about how they're handling outliving most of the people they know.

Granted, some of these are a bit more hopeful than the other examples on the topic, but I tried to be reasonable.

-A super hawt sultry girl obsessed with Byleth (the player).

-Friendly outgoing knight

-A Tsundere boy and girl

-A kind soft spoken cleric

-A cute clumsy girl that always does her best

-Caen/Abel characters

-Pegasus knights of a trio

-A Jeigan of some class

-The obligatory Japanese myrmidon character/s

-A mercenary for the money at first but develops in the story and learns that it's not the only thing that matters.

-The next Nowi, Myrrh, Fae, Y TikiĀ like mankete girl (pretty much confirmed)

-The next Villager unit(but I wish the trainee concept returns it would make much more sense here)

-New Camus (hopefully we finally get another female one again)

-Obligatory big evilĀ mage baddie

-Not a prediction but I hope for another smart mage with Glasses like Miriel. FE seriously needs more playable eyewear characters overall!

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

- I suspect the creepy stalker that somehow makes people swoon because of her edgyness and body (making important lore points gone) also appearing in this one. AKA Tharja 3.0 or Camilla 2.5.

- The church/government is evil.

- Dragon Loli.

- LGBT representation so Tumblr can go crazy. (Disclaimer: I'm not homophobic, I just don't likeĀ people overhype a characterĀ because of their difference and ditching other characters)

Edited by 1% Critical Hit

5 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

- I suspect the creepy stalker that somehow makes people swoon because of her edgyness and body (making important lore points gone) also appearing in this one. AKA Tharja 3.0 or Camilla 2.5.

It's sad that this could be the case. I really hope it isn't. Not only does it worsen those characters, it also illustrates a double-standard: imagine how much outrage there would be if the creepy stalker was a guy that somehow made women swoon because of his edginess and body.

I don't see no problems with a stalker character since I love them and there's certainly no "making important lore points gone" thatĀ happens because of a personality trait but that sounds more like a personal problem since its more of preference since I can tell you from observance MANY obviously love this kind of character.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master