If Chrom is In As An EchoFighter, What's Going to Happen to Robin's Final Smash?

On 7/28/2018 at 6:07 AM, Zangetsu said:

Fair enough. I would argue that just stabbing would get kind of dull, but than I remember Raphael from Soul Calibur & Charlotte from Samurai Showdown.

I have to be realistic, I don't expect Sakurai & his team be that faithful to the source. I can only expect so much to begin with. But then I look Corrin's moves & be baffle on how faithful it is & ask why couldn't guys like Roy looked that good?

After playing FE6, and being made aware of Roy's position in Melee, I understood that they would probably miss out on the details, especially as a clone of Marth. But Smash4 onward, the one thing about him that still bugs me, is that he doesn't have a flame projectile on his neutral-b. If you gave flare blade a projectile of some sort, it also further differentiates him from Marth/Lucina. Then they go and give a Ike a flame shockwave on eruption, which is cool and all, but it'd actually be a canon move on Roy. Using the ranged-attack on the SoS is also one of the only times Roy shines in his own game too.

And yeah, honestly they can leave Marth with a lot of slashes, because that makes up a lot of sword-fighting, fencing included. But just give him a stab attack for his f-smash or tilt. If you put it on his tilt, it'll look exactly like his old-school animation if you angle it up out of a walk animation.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Cornguy said:

After playing FE6, and being made aware of Roy's position in Melee, I understood that they would probably miss out on the details, especially as a clone of Marth. But Smash4 onward, the one thing about him that still bugs me, is that he doesn't have a flame projectile on his neutral-b. If you gave flare blade a projectile of some sort, it also further differentiates him from Marth/Lucina. Then they go and give a Ike a flame shockwave on eruption, which is cool and all, but it'd actually be a canon move on Roy. Using the ranged-attack on the SoS is also one of the only times Roy shines in his own game too.

And yeah, honestly they can leave Marth with a lot of slashes, because that makes up a lot of sword-fighting, fencing included. But just give him a stab attack for his f-smash or tilt. If you put it on his tilt, it'll look exactly like his old-school animation if you angle it up out of a walk animation.

honestly, I always hated that Ike had eruption rather than something canonical, he should have had a shockwave attack based on his range 2 animation with ragnell, I swear it is just like ganondorf, sakurai made a bad call earlier on in the series' lifespan and he refuses to fundamentally change special moves (as in go right back to the basics and start from scratch) for the sake of tradition (because ganondorf players would get mad if we changed his moveset?), I believe that sakurai said that he thought it would make ike overpowered but cloud has a move that is basically the same concept and it is far from his best or most oppressive move.

On 7/28/2018 at 8:05 AM, Cornguy said:

To be honest, Marth is a bit off as is, and it's kind of just trickled down to Roy. Not counting his cameos in the 3DS games, ALL of Marth's battle animations are stabs rather than slashes, as is Roy's non-SoS animation. Yet in Melee, his only stabbing move was one of four options of Dancing Blade, out of what, 9 options? Not a single move Marth has looks anything like any of his battle animations. Even his post-Brawl Shield Breaker doesn't quite resemble any of his attacks. As a result, Roy's moves also look very little like his animations.

However, since Roy's moveset has been touched up, his f-smash at least looks vaguely similar to the SoS animation, and his counter unlike Marth's at least has some relevance to his animations in FE6. I complained about Lucina already, tldr Ike's moves look way more like 3DS animations than Marth's.

It only applies to Marth and Roy right now, but post 3D FE doesn't have much to work off moveset wise. But if the characters have literally two animations each, it shouldn't be that difficult to at least make them central moves, let alone moves at all.

I think Marth's moveset animations were originally based off the SNES Jugdral games, if I recall correctly? It seems like his animations mimic the skill/crit animations in those games. Isn't Dancing Blade basically Astra, and the Dolphin Slash the Myrmidon crit animation? Let me know if I'm wrong on this.

On 8/1/2018 at 12:37 AM, NoirCore said:

I think Marth's moveset animations were originally based off the SNES Jugdral games, if I recall correctly? It seems like his animations mimic the skill/crit animations in those games. Isn't Dancing Blade basically Astra, and the Dolphin Slash the Myrmidon crit animation? Let me know if I'm wrong on this.

I don't think dancing blade is supposed to be astra, but its a neat comparison. But dolphin slash if anything looks more like the swordmaster animation without the startup.

I'm too lazy to go look through the comments, but here's my theory.

If Robin isn't in the fight, then either gender of Robin will help him. If Robin is in the fight, then Morgan (with a gender opposite to Robin) will help him instead. If both genders of Robin are in the game, the gender of Morgan will be picked at random.

First thing: holy Creiddylad! I honestly did not think Sakurai would make Chrom playable at all even as an echo. And I don't think any of us expected him to be a Roy echo. The altered Ike Up B on the other hand is exactly what I expected. Tbh I'd have been a bit more hyped if this Roy echo had been Alm or even Eliwood.

Second thing: 7 FE reps now. Hoo boy. The Smash community can complain about having yet another FE rep and sword user, but you know what? We also got two new Metroid reps, one (highly-requested, at that) new DK rep, and not one but two Castlevania reps debuting the series into Smash. The way I see it, they have no right to complain about another FE/sword rep, because we're all getting things we want. With all that said, if we should somehow get an 8th FE rep, be they base or DLC, I do hope it's not a sword or tome user. No, we need something new. We need a pure lance or axe user (at least Simon Belmont gives us another axe to play with).

Now back to our regularly-scheduled program.

3 hours ago, MilodicMellodi said:

I'm too lazy to go look through the comments, but here's my theory.

If Robin isn't in the fight, then either gender of Robin will help him. If Robin is in the fight, then Morgan (with a gender opposite to Robin) will help him instead. If both genders of Robin are in the game, the gender of Morgan will be picked at random.

I do like this idea, but at the same time I don't want it. If Robin keeps Pair Up, I think Lissa or Frederick could fill the role just fine, maybe take some cues from FEW with the barrage of attacks. I only suggest this because I want Morgan as a Robin alt, perhaps as free DLC. Sounds like a good DLC idea, right?. Should I make a thread for it?

And that Killing Edge, dude, yes! We finally have an FE item. Now everyone in the roster can be an FE sword user. XD

Also, we need to change the title of this thread. just replace "If" with "Now that". ;)

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

• 2 weeks later...

A homage to Awakening's title art would be cool. I could see Robin calling upon the core shepherds to attack: Lissa, Frederick, Sully, Stahl, Vaike, Miriel, Sumia, Ricken, Maribelle, and...hmm, am I missing someone? :P Lissa and/or Maribelle could also be an AT, befitting their role as support units.