Whats the weirdest glitch/bug/other anomalies you've run into in a video game

Sage of the Mist

This is basically a page where you can share the weirdest things you've run into in video games, be they bugs, glitches or programming errors in the games code that you find interesting and want to share with others.

Not really any rules or regulations sooo, yeah have at it.

I personally ran across this gem a while back when I was desperately searching the web for a way to save a certain   lower girl form meeting the end of a  certain white haired mamas boy's sword. It actually one of the most mind boggling things I've found on the internet and somehow actually works too!

I have personally tested and used this "glitch"  (I'm not sure what to call it honestly) and  I still have zero idea why this works in the first place.

If I had to guess,  I would say that there was some sort of overlay in the map data of Saga Frontier and FF VII since they were developed by the same company at roughly the same time and there may have been some sort of budget constraint. Nevertheless it still boggles my mind how this thing works and has basically zero negative side effects.

feel free to share your experiences with any fun glitches/bugs you've seen below!

In the Jazz Jackrabbit II demo I had glitch that would always make Jazz walk to the left. I suppose that alone wouldn't be so weird. What's weird is how I was able to get around that. I simply had to start up the demo of Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (though maybe any other game had the same effect) and afterwards the Jazz 2 demo would run without problem. I absolutely can't comprehend why these things were connected in any way. And this bug happened 100% of the time, so this isn't placebo or anything. Heck, before I found a solution I went through the entire demo with that bug active, except for the boss at stage 3 who I just couldn't beat with that handicap.

Speaking of the Jazz Jackrabbit II demo, I found a bug that allowed you to go through the single player with 2 players by simply loading a saved game while in multiplayer. The multiplayer mode of the demo only allowed the treasure hunt mode, so that was a nice little extension of what was already a very good demo.

Edited by BrightBow

I have stories to tell. Especially given that I’ve played Sonic 06.

Recently I used Stasis on a decayed guardian in BoTW from a distance in somewhere snowy, approached it, and it fell through the ground. In Sonic 06 in Crisis city, I was able to stand on the side of a rock- not to mention being able to stand anywhere in a loop. I once had a graphical glitch in Minecraft where only a few pieces of the horses’ models in a stable were showing (it was weird as heck) and another time in Heroes where I somehow changed to and out of a menu so fast the menu buttons  remained in the castle behind the castle units’ sprites. Also in Sonic Adventure, in Knuckles’ route, I somehow triggered some glitch where, when I went to Angel Island, another Knuckles and Eggman were lying on the ground with glitched out models. I’ve also stood still near an enemy with a laser in a game, and it constantly missed me. I also once saw an NPC walking into a wall in Sonic 06. 

All in all, I’ve seen some weird stuff.

In my first playthrough of Wind Waker HD, I ran into a little glitch with the final boss. Basically, if you die at the exact same time as you kill the boss, you die, but when you respawn, everything is completely screwed up and you can't kill the boss or leave. Because of this, I've never actually been able to kill the boss and beat the game. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cTjweEUowU

This isn't my video but it's the same glitch. 

This is not nearly as dramatic as any of you guys' posts, but back in the old days we had Clue (you know, the board game) as an SNES cartridge. Once I tilted the cartridge mid-game and it freaked out and displayed the results screen... with the solution apparently being "Mr. Boddy was killed by Lead Pipe with the Library in the Mr. Green". Not sure why it switched around the order of the accusation pieces, but the mental image of an animate lead pipe bashing Mr. Boddy to death with an entire fucking library while they're all apparently inside Mr. Green still makes me laugh to this day.

Edited by Anomalocaris

Also, in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn it is possible to have Isaac and Gareth get beaten in the first boss battle while they are NPCs. But the game doesn't account for this at all. So the only things that happens visually is that their idle animation freezes. Not really a bug I suppose, it's just how the game acts when it can't find the animation data that is called upon in order to avoid crashing. 

But it's weird that the developers didn't do anything here. I mean, they specifically made it so that Isaac and Gareth's attacks cannot actually finish of the boss and consequently gave the player the ability to drag out the battle indefinitely, yet they did nothing to avoid this scenario. The two of them are not invincible, don't have infinite health or protection against fatal blows (like they gave this very boss), no special resistance against attacks that bypass the defense stat or any ability to heal themselves except for Isaac having the Djinn Quartz, which has only a 50% chance of reviving an ally. And Isaac can't use it several times because his AI will never use any summons.

It's so strange to me that developers would do nothing to account for such a completely obvious outcome, even if the player has to put a bit of work into it. Like, Radiant Dawn takes into account if you get the Black Knight killed in 1E and I'm pretty sure that's completely impossible to do in a legit way.

Edited by BrightBow

I once opened up Touhou 16 to find the menus totally flipping out on me.  I even recorded it.  to this day I have no idea what happened or how to replicate it, or if it has happened to anyone else.

Touhou 16 in general has some really funny (and exploitable) bugs in actual gameplay.  Maybe not quite Touhou 10 Marisa B tier, but fumny.

Touhou 10 Marisa B is still best Touhou bug overall, basically Marisa B’s central laser does several times the intended damage when between 3.00 to 3.95 power when unfocused.  It melts bosses in seconds, and it’s very easy to stay at that power level required when bombs cost power.

The Rocket Storage glitch in Super Mario Sunshine. I encountered it by learning to speedrun the game. You only use it once in a run at the very end to speed up a short section. But man is this cool. I taught it to my friend and we played "Hole in One" where you fly half a mile up above Isle Delfino and try to land in Serena Beach, Pianta Village, or Pinna Park's narrow level entrances. Even the act of storing rockets is fun due to how much coordination you need to get more than three or four without fail.

Various cartridge n64 tilting things... mostly pixel vomit, but in some cases (Vigilante 8 and Yoshi's Story) it did things to the audio which sounded like... more than static. 

Negative -1.000.000 free block memory paks ... a sadly common experience. 

These were not done on purpose since I try to take care of my n64, but it's easy to acciidently shake it up during gameplay.

Loading deleted save files in Mario Tennis 64 and Space Station Silicon Valley.... Honestly I have no explanation of this to this day. 

Forcing Diddy Kong Racing to show the "Wrong Way" sign whle driving the right way, forever. 

Top Hunter Ruth and Cathy:  While doing co-op my borther swapped planes right before the  cage-fight miniboss in the last normal stage. He could not  plane swap back in-bounds. When the timer ran out, it killed him as intended, but we couldn't keep going because his charather never despawned after death, instead existing in a state of hitstun permeantly, so we had to start the game over entirely. 

A very cursed (pre-internet) Pokemon Gold cartridge... from what I can tell, I got one of the more dangerous bad eggs from the day care, and although I put it and (my transformed party pokemon) into a PC box, it seemed to sporadically spread to anything else in that specific box. Using Pokemon Stadium 2' allowed the pokemon to be extracted, albeit as different specieis with illegal movesets. 

Majesty:Fantasy Kingdom Sim - 0 HP heroes, unremovable gravestones, heroes cloing, 5 heroes occupying a 4 hero guild, monster spawning on the edge of map and being pinned by rees, caravan spawning on edge of map in Trading Routes and being pinned by trees, Heroes trying to get to a pinned monstner and NEVER giving up their futile attempts to path to him. 

Monaco:What's Yours is Mine - Rubberbanding due to heavy ping on a scale difficult to describe.... Peple can warp from one side of levels to the other, guards can attack multiple times per frame, and the physical properties of walls break down, allowing people to phase through them and permenatly trap themselves when the lag goes back to normal. Having North American, European, and Asian players in the same lobby is FINE

Contraption Maker: Minor Physics gone wrong moments... usually related to ropes. 

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - It's well known that the car-spawning system acts up when you go to deserted areas like the woods... but in my game the plane-spawning system has also been out to get me. Once it spawned one of the Boeing commerical airplanes (the AT-400) AT STREET LEVEL. Needless to say... pretty much everything within a 1 block radius exploded. 

Spyro the Dragon: I was in Dark Passage and fell off the cliff and it kept playing the falling animation forever. I had to turn off the game.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Dunban fell off a ledge in Central Factory and magically reappeared. Fiora got stuck behind an armu at the farm in Colony 6 and kept jumping up and down for a few minutes.

Skyrim: I used the multiple followers mod to make all of my allies essential, then at one point, Lydia's HP got depleted, so she was lying on the snowy ground in a snow angel position, but she was still following me around, sliding on the ground. It was pretty funny.

There is an incredibly intrincate, inexplicable way of getting Mew by way of a glitch, when playing Pokemon Blue/Red (the original cartridge, not the 3DS port). It really works, haha :P:.

Edited by Chopper...

44 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

There is an incredibly intrincate, inexplicable way of getting Mew by way of a glitch, when playing Pokemon Blue/Red (the original cartridge, not the 3DS port). It really works, haha :P:.

Actually, if I recall the 3DS port also allows this. Are you talking about the old man glitch, or some other glitch. 

another one from ocarina of time 3D, I managed to death hole wrong warp to the end credits.

34 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Actually, if I recall the 3DS port also allows this. Are you talking about the old man glitch, or some other glitch. 

another one from ocarina of time 3D, I managed to death hole wrong warp to the end credits.

Oh, I didn't know the port had one too, that's funny. It's the gambler and youngster glitch the one I was talking about :P:

7 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

Oh, I didn't know the port had one too, that's funny. It's the gambler and youngster glitch the one I was talking about :P:

Yes all methods are possible on the port, it's even possible to transfer the mew into pokebank by utilizing arbitrary code execution. Hell im pretty sure you can make it shiny.

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

8 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Yes all methods are possible on the port, it's even possible to transfer the mew into pokebank by utilizing arbitrary code execution. Hell im pretty sure you can make it shiny.

Hahaha, that's great; I guess GF decided to leave the game as such for old time's sake or something. Because there's no way they didn't know about them, glitches in the first games were so famous!

By the way, that same youngster glitch could get you any other pokemon (including Mewtwo) in accordance to the hex number of the pokemon you battle before entering route 8 :lol: 

16 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

Hahaha, that's great; I guess GF decided to leave the game as such for old time's sake or something. Because there's no way they didn't know about them, glitches in the first games were so famous!

By the way, that same youngster glitch could get you any other pokemon (including Mewtwo) in accordance to the hex number of the pokemon you battle before entering route 8 :lol: 

Ah yes I remember that

i also remember being able to get a level 100 nidoking in viridian flrest through another glitch 

In one of my playthough of Batman Arkham City, at the beginning to the game when Bruce Wayne is captured by Hugo Strange, he faces him. However for some strange reason that time he was talking to Batman's crotch while he was tied up in the chair, then walking away.

At the final boss of FF9 I had Dagger go into trance and attacked with Ark. With the long animations turned on, it's the longest attack animation in the game. Then, after every other action, she would use Ark. Even if that other action was her healing my team. And it didn't stop after her trance ended. I was pretty young when this happened and it made the battle pretty easy for me, but it also made it incredibly long.

On 6/28/2018 at 3:33 PM, Jingle Jangle said:

In one of my playthough of Batman Arkham City, at the beginning to the game when Bruce Wayne is captured by Hugo Strange, he faces him. However for some strange reason that time he was talking to Batman's crotch while he was tied up in the chair, then walking away.

Maybe Batman's dick is more interesting than Batman himself lol.