A Bomberman game for 2+ players?

Rapier

I want to play a Bomberman game with three/four friends, but most of the games I know only support 2 players tops. Can anyone suggest me a Bomberman game that allows three or four people to play simultaneously? Preferably an older one that isn't for the PS3/PS4/Xbox/XOne/Wii/WiiU/Switch. 3DS is fair game, though.

Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find a Bomberman game that doesn't have a 3+ player multiplayer mode. I can't think of one off the top of my head.

For reference, the ones I've played are Bomberman '94 (PC Engine/Wii VC), Super Bomberman (SNES), Atomic Bomberman (PC), Bomberman Tournament (GBA), and Bomberman Max 2 (GBA).

Edited by nacho_chicken
Clarified game systems

Well, since you're wanting to exclude most of the consoles you listed in your first post, SNES sounds like the way to go. In that case: you've got Super Bomberman 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 to choose from (5 being my personal favourite Bomberman game). I'm not sure if you're interested in Tetris-like games in the Bomberman series, but if you are, there's Panic Bomber for the SNES as well, which supports 4 player versus mode.

Bomberman Generations and Bomberman Jetters are actualy my most played Bomberman games... it was mostly due to availabilitiy. They have some quirks with power up frequency which makes their MP maps a little wacky compared to playing SNES bomberman on Virtual Console or whatever, but I found them lots of fun in Multiplayer anyway I also like the experimenatal singleplayer with non-classic gameplay.  

I would argue that Bomberman 64  should be avoided, since although it's certiainly capable of growing on you if it was your first game, it's not really a proper game due to the circular explosions in favor of cross explosions I do like that it's maps have different sudden deaths (flooding, meteors, etc) instead of just having the wall crush you, and it has the most fun poision powerups for people who want the most random MP experience. I think it's counterblanced a little by the grab mechanics (especially on other players) creating a skill gap biased toward the older player (both playing with siblings and later playing with people invited to college dorm room) 

Bomberman 93 / Bomerman 94  , Super Bomberman, and Saturn Bomberman are the games that are generally considered the best. Super Bomberman is probbably my absolute favorite personally. Saturn Bomberman is usually touted as the best in the franchsie, but I guess I just didn't have as much of a multiplayer group while playing it than the others 

I can't comment on the Nintendo DS / PSP bomerman games. I've been meaning to try out Bomberman Dreamcast for a while, but I'm not happy with the framerate of  Dreamcast Emulation yet. 

You mentioned 3DS, so I'd recommend the Ubisoft published Bomberman from 2005. Great entry for multiplayer - has a ton of maps and customizable rules, 8 player download play (meaning you need only one cartridge to play together), touch screen usage is nice (like flinging bombs in revenge mode). 

I can't think of any story co-op for more then 2p though.