Fire Emblem GBA Font Revamp

nacho_chicken

In my last casual playthrough of FE7, I couldn't stand the dialogue font. Far too tall for how thin it is. With my experience messing around with roms over the years, I decided I could fix it myself. This is a personal QOL hack I made for myself, but I figured sharing it with others would be a great service.

I started off by importing Sacred Stones' font. Unfortunately, I then discovered what a typographical nightmare that font is. Irregular x-heights make reading very uncomfortable, especially as a fast reader. So I made several edits to make it more palatable. Dialogue font x-heights have been normalized. The lowercase "y" is less thin. Menu fonts are also slightly modified and have had x-heights normalized. The lowercase "t" is taller.

As I created it for my casual playthrough, I was able to playtest it from start to finish (Lyn Normal -> Eliwood Normal) with no issues. Here are some screenshots:

fe7n-1.png.8e8efad0eeba10b3f6888ab07daa3551.pngfe7n-2.png.7a0e08ae94a14b795846ad6eea625ff8.pngfe7n-3.png.4cc2f8670812c883e2b79b3768ad26f1.png

FE7 Font Revamp v1.0.ips (Apply to a US FE7 ROM)

Of course, I wasn't done there: there were still two other Fire Emblem games I've yet to play that feature the same crappy fonts. Well, I'm glad to announce that I have font patches available for both Sacred Stones and Binding Blade! I haven't had the chance to test either of these to a great extent, so let me know if you come across any problems.

fe8n-1.png.91d36e23f69a1bf6048ecf5dffcaf6a4.pngfe6n-1.png.366e3734cb1e12393cb5b97816cc556f.png

FE8 Font Revamp v1.0.ips (Apply to a US FE8 ROM)

FE6 Font Revamp + Text Crawls v1.0.xdelta (Apply to Gringe's FE6 Translation v1.0)

The following patch works on both the current fantranslation and the old one. It's missing text crawls, but it is functional.

FE6 Font Revamp v1.0.ips (Apply to any English-patched FE6 ROM)

Because this hack only modifies font graphics, almost all romhacks should be compatible! If you would like to use these font modifications in your own romhacks, feel free to do so! Credit is highly appreciated, but not necessary. Explicit permission is not needed, but I'd love to hear if you're planning on using these.

I hope you are able to get as much out of these as I have!

Edited by nacho_chicken
Updated FE6 patch

I'm honestly going to ask if there's a way to get this as a fontset for other applications.

Aside from that, good work, you're right on the font, much as I didn't dislike it personally.

@Dayni

What do you mean, "fontset"? Like a .ttf file? Because I have zero experience with vector font programs. Or bitmap font programs, for that matter. Sorry, I won't be able to do provide Windows-compatible font files. However, I do have a PNG file available with most of the characters if that is what you meant.

font.png.df894b1a5ca922583984c29073c11cf1.png

8 minutes ago, nacho_chicken said:

What do you mean, "fontset"? Like a .ttf file? Because I have zero experience with vector font programs. Or bitmap font programs, for that matter. Sorry, I won't be able to do provide Windows-compatible font files. However, I do have a PNG file available with most of the characters if that is what you meant.

That was what I was asking about and yeah, that's understandable.

Who knows, I might try to see if I can't make something of this. (I wasn't thinking Windows specifically, but if I manage I'll bring it up again)

Well, it would appear that my FE6 font + text crawl patch was borked. It seems to be caused by the limitations of the .ips patching format; when I made a .xdelta patch, it works as intended. This OP has been updated with the new patch.

• 10 months later...

I put it in gringe translation with heroes names (pikmin patch) and before the battle starts, the game freezes and shuts down (in ips version)

Edited by Raymerald