Favourite/Least Favourite Lord (in terms of gameplay only)

Jotari

Favourite Lord (in terms of gameplay)?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Lord (in terms of gameplay)?

• Marth
    • Alm
    • Celica
    • Sigurd
    • Seliph
    • Leif
    • Roy
    • Eliwood
    • Hector
    • Lyn
    • Eirika
    • Ephraim
    • Ike
    • Micaiah
    • Chrom
    • Robin
    • Corrin
  2. 2. Least favourite lord (in terms of gameplay)?

• Marth
    • Alm
    • Celica
    • Sigurd
    • Seliph
    • Leif
    • Roy
    • Eliwood
    • Hector
    • Lyn
    • Eirika
    • Ephraim
    • Ike
    • Micaiah
    • Chrom
    • Robin
    • Corrin

Forgoing characterization and writing, who is you're favorite lord measured purely as a unit. You can vote based on who you think is the most fun to play with, who is the most gamebreaking or who is just the most interesting to use. Personally I'm voting Celica for best as she's just so versatile with the sword magic combo (more so than Robin thanks to Gaiden's more intricate magic system). Sure Alm is just plain better than her, but killing with a sword and fire is just fun.

For worst I vote Eirika. She just doesn't really bring anything to the table with her basic sword usage that every other lord has. She doesn't even get another weapon upon promotion! And while she is a good unit, she can't even boast about being the best as Ephraim will usually be better. At least Roy is useless in an interesting way as he changes how you play a chapter (for better or for worse) and gets the Sword of Seals. Sieglende, much like Eirika itself, proves to be useful, but the least exciting of basically all the legendary weapons (though Heroes made it and by extension Eirika much more interesting by turning her into a buff bot, but I'm voting without considering Heroes, you are not obliged to follow the same rules).

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favourite
It's a tie between Hector and Sigurd. Hector cinches Sigurd out by being an Axe Lord with 1-2 range in a game where Lyn and Eliwood (though primarily Eliwood) are your other lords. If FE4 wasn't Horse-Emblem then Sigurd would win-out. Honourable mention to Ephraim for being a foot-locked Lance Lord who feels good to use from start to finish.

Least Favourite
Lyn and Eliwood are closely tied. In my experiences their frailty (average stats confirm this), foot-lock, and lack of 1-2 range until promotion make aggressive play far less enjoyable. Of course if you're not playing aggressively this metric is meaningless to you.

P.S. @Jotari You forgot to add Lyn to the Worst Lords list.

Edited by gjuptonv

Best: Corrin. The most versatile unit in a game where your versatility more or less decides your value is going to be excellent. Corrin can do just about anything well if built properly, and they aren't held back by availability (Sigurd), late promotion (Hector, Ike, Ephraim), or being weapon-locked (the rest). The only real competitor is Robin, which is admittedly a very close match, but Corrin is useful out of the gate with or without a reclass while Robin takes some work to be as broken as s/he can be and almost certainly needs to be reclassed to a dark mage. Alm is another possible contender, given that his bases carry him through his entire game and he's actually a very good combat unit, but he isn't as ludicrous in terms of potential as either MU and also doesn't have the luxury of master seal promotion.

Worst: Roy. If I need to explain why Roy is the worst lord in the series to you, you must be new. While other GBA lords, such as Eliwood, Lyn, and Eirika, are also sword-locked units with bad movement, they all have something that makes them marginally useful; respectively these are a good promotion, viable stats in the very early chapters, and both. That isn't to say that those three are good, but they have some semblance of utility compared to poor Roy, who is really only decent for 3 chapters and is dead weight starting in Chapter 1 (especially on hard mode). The closest one to Roy is Marth, but Marth was very good in FE1 and decent in FE3 - he was only bad in the DS remakes, where he's arguably worse than Roy for not even having 3 chapters of viability on the higher difficulties. The other contenders for worst, Leif and Micaiah, are underrated and have value in their games.

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

8 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

That's news to me.

I mean the thing that comes to mind is taking Wrath off of Edward, since Micaih can just use Sacrifice instead of relying on enemy damage to get in range to activate it, and since Thani is magical it's usually more powerful on a critical hit than most of the early DB members. 

Micaiah's got Thani and staves.

Best: In some order there's Alm, Celica, Ephraim, Ike (RD only), and Corrin. Not sure how I feel about sorting those today.

Worst: Roy, honourable mention to Marth. Smash sure knew how to pick 'em. Eliwood's not great but at least he has a good promotion if you bother to get him to it unlike those two, and it isn't hideously late on Hector Mode.

(Disclaimer: haven't played enough of any FE released before Binding Blade to comment on them here.)

Worst: Roy. His base stats and growth spread combine to ensure he's mediocre at best. If you're lucky. The Sword of Seals is a day late and a dollar short, as is his promotion, which, incidentally, is Exhibit A as to why plot based promotions are the devil. Dishonorable mention to SD Marth.

Best: Have a hard time deciding between Alm, Celica, Corrin, and Robin.

3 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Micaiah's got Thani

Which is only useful against armoured and horse units. Against anything else (i.e. everything after Part 1), it's worthless.

and staves.

Since I play on Easy, I find her wielding staves to be useless, since the enemy units have a hard time hitting any of mine (and therefore can't do any damage which I need to heal).

33 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Since I play on Easy, I find her wielding staves to be useless, since the enemy units have a hard time hitting any of mine (and therefore can't do any damage which I need to heal).

Lemme guess - you go around going out of your way to build double Earth supports. Anyway... With two of the part 3 chapters the DB gets being against laguz, which use accurate weapons, I would struggle to see them having a hard time hitting.

The best is Sigurd, and it's barely a contest.  Most other lords are versatile or at least better than average, but Sigurd's just straight OP throughout the entire 1st Generation.  He only really has hiccups when he has to fight mages (though anyone who doesn't get to use holy weapons early on do), but beyond that he's practically unbeatable.  It also helps that he receives one of the best swords early on.  And from what I've seen, he's excellent for LTC runs.

The worst... might be Roy, tbh.  I mean, I'll go on about how he isn't bad for Binding Blade standards, but he's not really a standout, either.  He's more level with the rest of the party, and lacks the insane versatility that Robin and Corrin have to compensate for potentially average growths.

And it's only now that I realized that the question in the OP is actually "what are your favorite/least favorite units" rather than "what are the best and worst".  Those are fundamentally different questions, because not everyone likes units that are crazy OP.

4 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Lemme guess - you go around going out of your way to build double Earth supports.

I don't actually.

Anyway... With two of the part 3 chapters the DB gets being against laguz, which use accurate weapons, I would struggle to see them having a hard time hitting.

Not only are the laguz enemies at lower levels (and thus have lowered stats) on easy, my characters are much higher levelled (and thus, have better stats) due to the increased EXP gain.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

The best is Sigurd, and it's barely a contest.  Most other lords are versatile or at least better than average, but Sigurd's just straight OP throughout the entire 1st Generation.  He only really has hiccups when he has to fight mages (though anyone who doesn't get to use holy weapons early on do), but beyond that he's practically unbeatable.  It also helps that he receives one of the best swords early on.  And from what I've seen, he's excellent for LTC runs.

The worst... might be Roy, tbh.  I mean, I'll go on about how he isn't bad for Binding Blade standards, but he's not really a standout, either.  He's more level with the rest of the party, and lacks the insane versatility that Robin and Corrin have to compensate for potentially average growths.

And it's only now that I realized that the question in the OP is actually "what are your favorite/least favorite units" rather than "what are the best and worst".  Those are fundamentally different questions, because not everyone likes units that are crazy OP.

Yeah, probably should have made that clearer. Topic title and polls edited to reflect.

Best: Corrin- Always comes out with good stats in everything except Resistance. Starts off in a good class for the start of the game and both promotion are great as well though I prefer Nohrian Noble. Being about to change class to fit your needs is a plus as well.

Worst: I feel like I am rather limited in my choices since I only played Awakening/Fates/Echoes but if I had to pick one of them I suppose Celica is the weakest link. Even though she is one of the few lords I like (the other are Alm, Chrom and Eirika) and she is actually good for Chapter 2 of Echoes once I get to the desert and swamp levels Celica rarely sees any more action since the Whitewings and my archers takes care of everything at that point. Having only four movement really hurts her and I really hate that she can't have mage ring and a sword like Beloved Zofia or Ladyblade equipped at the same time and it doesn't help that Celica and Mae want to hold that Mage Ring.

Ehmm... I'm not sure who I chose for Worst xDU.

I really love the idea of using Micaiah because of how weird she is between the main characters; she can actually be useful regardless you train her or not.

But technically speaking; Robin and Corrin are a lot more powerful units to use; and it's quite funny to see Ike defeating non-magical enemies just using his Ragnell... But that is actually fun?

I considered picking Marth for both my favourite (in 12) and least favourite (in 11), but unfortunately, I still only find him OK-ish in New Mystery. :D

So I went with Hector as my favourite instead - strong earlygame and still decent later on (although the late promotion in his own mode and eternal 5 move suck) is something that I really appreciate in a unit.

Well technically Robin isn't a lord as he/she doesn't have any royal blood (at least that I'm aware of), though he/she is an honorable lord/protagonist regardless.

Anyways for the best lord I've used it's probably Sigurd (because he is OP af in the 1st generation of fe4, practically being able to pretty much solo the first half), and Ike who is also really good and I liked using him (moreso in RD than PoR). For worst it is definitely Roy and Lyn (moreso Lyn). Roy is just so weak with terrible growths and also not getting the mount like Eliwood, Lyn is just a struggle to use just because she's sword locked for the majority of the game full of lance users (Pegs, Knights, Cavs, Wyverns, etc. all use Lances and they are pretty common units). Roy at least is one of the better units in the early-midish part just because of the Rapier being accurate a lot of the times, though he's still bad and a hassle due to late promo. 

Honorable mentions for good lords include Celica, Micaiah, Hector, and Ephraim. 

My favorite lord to use is Hector. He's really good but not like Sigurd who's so good its often boring. Another favorite is Alm because I love the double Lion skill.

Least favorite to use is Micky. Low defense and unable to dodge for shit. At least she can be a healbot. 

3 hours ago, Lunarly said:

Well technically Robin isn't a lord as he/she doesn't have any royal blood (at least that I'm aware of), though he/she is an honorable lord/protagonist regardless.

Anyways for the best lord I've used it's probably Sigurd (because he is OP af in the 1st generation of fe4, practically being able to pretty much solo the first half), and Ike who is also really good and I liked using him (moreso in RD than PoR). For worst it is definitely Roy and Lyn (moreso Lyn). Roy is just so weak with terrible growths and also not getting the mount like Eliwood, Lyn is just a struggle to use just because she's sword locked for the majority of the game full of lance users (Pegs, Knights, Cavs, Wyverns, etc. all use Lances and they are pretty common units). Roy at least is one of the better units in the early-midish part just because of the Rapier being accurate a lot of the times, though he's still bad and a hassle due to late promo. 

Honorable mentions for good lords include Celica, Micaiah, Hector, and Ephraim. 

Their father naturally assumed the role as ruler of Plegia after the previous king was deposed, that sounds pretty noble to me.

Worst: Sigurd and Seliph 

They are "effective" as units, but that very effectiveness deforms the gameplay, and hurts the amount of strategy that players are able to use in GotW. Sigurd is more noticable since Prologue>C2 don't even have magic enemies and only a single horseslayer on the C2 boss, and even C3-C5 starting to mix a few in doesn't slow him down.

Seliph starts out a little fragile in C6, but by late C7 or early C8 he should be near the level of his father. In some ways he is worse for gameplay and tactics, because this time the game encourages you to use him because of the mages... He is one of the few units with decent resistance, and between throne bosses with ridiculous counterattacks and mage attack groups (who like every attack group in the game , will all overlap in range if you attack even one of them) Having the resistanace stat to survive the enemy phase is obviously the expected kind of gameplay. This kind of game play is much more reactive than proactive, and kind of distills fire emblem too much toward "use counters" ... especially when one counter applies to so much...

Best : Leif and FE11-12 Marth

I mean logically I should like a "weak" lord as it's the opposite of the lords I dislike.

I feel that Leif and Marth have preference because their games don't use the standard 5-6 infantry movement, which means that blocking them off is more meaniingful and in the course of using them for objectives, and you don't have to rescue drop as much, which while fun, is a lot of extra menus over a playthrough. DS marth only wants to see combat early on or where he can use his Rapier, BUT is upgraded to having convoy abilities, similiar to FE8-10 lords in return for losing his degenerate FE1 FE3 combat god status, and the  command is more fun and applicable to use in a harder game. Especially in FE12, he gets a part to play in somewhat puzzle-ish scnearios where you combine the offense of most of the deployed charathers to barely combine to clear out areas on Player Phase, because allowing Enemy Phase combat to happen is for once, punishable. 

Leif is a little at the mercy of the Single RN early on, but once he builds HP after the first 4~ chapters  he'll have a relatively stable amount of bulk - 3-4 enemy hits or 1 ballista hit between heals. Having both rapiers and magic weapons early on is very flexible and in late maps, you are once again encouraged to keep him out of combat because of enemies with skill prots and master weapons are somewhat beyond him, which gives the player something to do.  Leif also, except for C19, is beyond the whimsies of the deployment system, usually being one of the furthest forward units in every map. 

21 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Worst: Roy. 

That’s an odd way of spelling Lyn. Here’s why I think he’s better:

He’s forced deployed. It sounds counter productive since he sucks himself, but if you want to use Lyn (a sub par sword licked unit that doesn’t promote till late) you have to miss out on the possible utility another unit could have brought to the table. Fe7 enemies are largely shit and she still can’t ORKO many of them. Even when she finally does promo it’s expensive and underwhelming. No swordmaster crit bonus and she gets bows of all the weapon types.

2 hours ago, LexMex said:

He’s forced deployed. It sounds counter productive since he sucks himself, but if you want to use Lyn (a sub par sword licked unit that doesn’t promote till late) you have to miss out on the possible utility another unit could have brought to the table. Fe7 enemies are largely shit and she still can’t ORKO many of them. Even when she finally does promo it’s expensive and underwhelming. No swordmaster crit bonus and she gets bows of all the weapon types.

I can see why you'd think this, sure. I don't find force deployment to be either a good or a bad thing with regards to a unit's overall viability.

2 hours ago, LexMex said:

I vehemently disagree with this. Lyn may not be the best unit in the game but she's certainly better than Roy who is a danger and liability to bring into battle (which the game forces you to do)

unlike Lyn who at least has the option to sit out form time to time. Also the only thing worse than being swordlocked till a late promo is being swordlocked forever which Roy has to deal with.

Lynn also has the added benefit of being able to snag some level ups in her own mode to increase her viability during the main game mostly risk free, which  can't be said about Roy who starts shit and stays shit.

I'm also not sure what point you're trying to make by saying that Lyn can't ORKO because that certainly isn't something  Roy will be able to do ethier. He only has one more base Str and con than Lyn and lacks her speed, accuracy and crit% meaning he's going to be doubling  a lot later than Lyn with a base 7 and only a 40% growth compared to Lyn's base of 9 and a 60% growth and not hitting as accurately as she can thanks again to his lower base and growth, ( 5 skill vs 7 skill at base and a 50% growth vs a 60% growth).  Lyn has a niche of being fast and accurate while Roy can say neither of those things.

Also , I can think of very few times where Lyn is "taking" another units spot, care to elaborate?

Finally,  i'm by no means saying Lyn is an excellent unit, but she is certainly better than Roy, who starts in a hole that he will never get out of unless he wins the RNG lottery or you save scum levels for him, while Lyn at least can double and hit reliably, something that can't be said for Roy.

One could argue that Lyn is just in an easier game where most units perform better than their FE6 counterparts. Inside their respective rosters, both Roy and Lyn (without Lyn Mode - with it, she's fairly average and even quite good short-term, imo) are below-average units, but still not close to the absolute bottom tiers of their games, which is why I do think that Roy's wimpiness compared to the other GBA lords is a bit overstated. I'd still say that Roy's the worst of the bunch, just not by a huge margin. ;)