Favourite/Least Favourite Lord (in terms of gameplay only)

Jotari

Favourite Lord (in terms of gameplay)?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Lord (in terms of gameplay)?

• Marth
    • Alm
    • Celica
    • Sigurd
    • Seliph
    • Leif
    • Roy
    • Eliwood
    • Hector
    • Lyn
    • Eirika
    • Ephraim
    • Ike
    • Micaiah
    • Chrom
    • Robin
    • Corrin
  2. 2. Least favourite lord (in terms of gameplay)?

• Marth
    • Alm
    • Celica
    • Sigurd
    • Seliph
    • Leif
    • Roy
    • Eliwood
    • Hector
    • Lyn
    • Eirika
    • Ephraim
    • Ike
    • Micaiah
    • Chrom
    • Robin
    • Corrin

4 hours ago, Sage of the Mist said:

Also the only thing worse than being swordlocked till a late promo is being swordlocked forever which Roy has to deal with.

Lynn also has the added benefit of being able to snag some level ups in her own mode to increase her viability during the main game mostly risk free, which  can't be said about Roy who starts shit and stays shit.

I'm also not sure what point you're trying to make by saying that Lyn can't ORKO because that certainly isn't something  Roy will be able to do ethier. He only has one more base Str and con than Lyn and lacks her speed, accuracy and crit% meaning he's going to be doubling  a lot later than Lyn with a base 7 and only a 40% growth compared to Lyn's base of 9 and a 60% growth and not hitting as accurately as she can thanks again to his lower base and growth, ( 5 skill vs 7 skill at base and a 50% growth vs a 60% growth).  Lyn has a niche of being fast and accurate while Roy can say neither of those things.

Also , I can think of very few times where Lyn is "taking" another units spot, care to elaborate?

When Roy finally promotes being swordlicked isn’t a point against him since he gets one of the most broken weapons in the series which has 1-2 range. 

Even if you do get Lyn some levels in her mode she still sucks compared to the majority of the cast. The fast and accurate niche Lyn fills doesn’t mean too much when she still can’t kill without relying on a crit and I know Roy isn’t ORKOing much of anything either but Lyn isn’t with shittier enemies. That’s pretty rough.

as for Lyn taking someone’s spot, say you have 12 deployment slots aside from whichever lord is the main one. Who would you rather bring along? An extra healer, extra mount/flier, a mediocre combat unit or a lord who’s got sub par combat and causes a game over when she dies? Personally I’d bench lyn anyday for that

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, LexMex said:

When Roy finally promotes being swordlicked isn’t a point against him since he gets one of the most broken weapons in the series which has 1-2 range. 

Even if you do get Lyn some levels in her mode she still sucks compared to the majority of the cast. The fast and accurate niche Lyn fills doesn’t mean too much when she still can’t kill without relying on a crit and I know Roy isn’t ORKOing much of anything either but Lyn isn’t with shittier enemies. That’s pretty rough.

as for Lyn taking someone’s spot, say you have 12 deployment slots aside from whichever lord is the main one. Who would you rather bring along? An extra healer, extra mount/flier, a mediocre combat unit or a lord who’s got sub par combat and causes a game over when she dies? Personally I’d bench lyn anyday for that

Yes he gets a 1-2 range sword...even later than lyn gets bows and I guess I consider the fact that Lyn can at least double consistently to be a point in her favor. Seriously Roy is actively detrimental to your armies efforts and is a huge liability since you lose when he dies and he's always deployed as opposed  to Lyn being able to sit out if you’re worried about her odds in a chapter. He's also going to face a permanent disadvantage against lances so yeah i'm gonna say that permanent swordlock IS a valid point against him. Also the "lyn’s not ORKOing ethier" argument doesn't hold much ground to me considering if we put Roy in FE 7 he would face the exact same problems he suffers from in 6  and the same could be said about lyn if she were in FE 6, neither of them are likely to ORKO anything with even a semblance of a defense stat. My point was that lyn is at the very least, consistently good at at least SOMETHING (that being doubling and actually hitting her target), which cannot be said for Roy with his shit tier growths that just scream "Please RNG screw me!"

9 hours ago, LexMex said:

That’s an odd way of spelling Lyn. Here’s why I think he’s better:

He’s forced deployed. It sounds counter productive since he sucks himself, but if you want to use Lyn (a sub par sword licked unit that doesn’t promote till late) you have to miss out on the possible utility another unit could have brought to the table. Fe7 enemies are largely shit and she still can’t ORKO many of them. Even when she finally does promo it’s expensive and underwhelming. No swordmaster crit bonus and she gets bows of all the weapon types.

I would bet to differ - Roy has it even worse since he's in a game where enemy units aren't crap, and his promotion is mega-late. And sure, the Sword of Seals is amazing, but it has a paltry 20 uses - better hope you saved up Hammerne if you want to abuse it...

I put Sigurd as the best lord and it's pretty easy to see why. Some other notable mentions are of course Hector, Ike, Seliph, Leif and Lex (yes, I know he's not a "lord" in the class sense but he's one of my favorite FE4 nobility characters.)

Micaiha get's the worst lord spot from me. There are a few things which kill her as a unit for me and it boils down to primarily 1) lack of durability i.e. very little HP 2) lack of speed which also affects her avoidance or lack thereof. Micaiha could have been very interesting lord type to work with but she is hampered by what I see as two flaws, fixing one of these would help a lot, also most lords are put into a situation on the first map where they shine. Sword lords are often against axe wielding bandits and brigands emphasizing their strenght, eprhaim was against sword guys and lance users, etc. Micaiha is in a situation where she needs to rely on Edward to defend her, she's not in a situation where she can shine, as she would be if that map had at least a few dark mages for example. Or if she had really good speed and avoidence.

13 minutes ago, SavageVolug said:

I put Sigurd as the best lord and it's pretty easy to see why. Some other notable mentions are of course Hector, Ike, Seliph, Leif and Lex (yes, I know he's not a "lord" in the class sense but he's one of my favorite FE4 nobility characters.)

Micaiha get's the worst lord spot from me. There are a few things which kill her as a unit for me and it boils down to primarily 1) lack of durability i.e. very little HP 2) lack of speed which also affects her avoidance or lack thereof. Micaiha could have been very interesting lord type to work with but she is hampered by what I see as two flaws, fixing one of these would help a lot, also most lords are put into a situation on the first map where they shine. Sword lords are often against axe wielding bandits and brigands emphasizing their strenght, eprhaim was against sword guys and lance users, etc. Micaiha is in a situation where she needs to rely on Edward to defend her, she's not in a situation where she can shine, as she would be if that map had at least a few dark mages for example. Or if she had really good speed and avoidence.

Edward would probably be better against the dark mages anyway tbf. Wyvern Knights or generals are what she'd need to face to show off magic effectiveness.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Edward would probably be better against the dark mages anyway tbf. Wyvern Knights or generals are what she'd need to face to show off magic effectiveness.

Wyrmslayer Edward would be better against Wyvern Knights than Micaiah. IIRC, Wyvern Knights actually have good res in RD. Even if they don't they have the speed not to get doubled by most Micaiahs and large enough HP pool for her not to do KO them unlike swordmasters with wyrmslayers or axe users with max forged might. 

I loved playing as Micaiah, I know i'm one of the few people that enjoy her when it come to gameplay, but i liked how different she was than other lords, and i know being different doesn't always mean "better" but still it was something new, and i had fun, having to make sure the main character was always safe and out of harm way was fun for me to do for some reason XD And also she's a mage, which is great.

And i think my least favorite lord gameplay wise.....Roy i think ? I don't dislike him as a character, but as a unit he also has problems ;; Like what were they even thinking when they thought making him promote that late was a good idea? 

22 minutes ago, SavageVolug said:

I would say the issues that plague Micaiah plague mages in general as far as RD goes.

6 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Wyrmslayer Edward would be better against Wyvern Knights than Micaiah. IIRC, Wyvern Knights actually have good res in RD. Even if they don't they have the speed not to get doubled by most Micaiahs and large enough HP pool for her not to do KO them unlike swordmasters with wyrmslayers or axe users with max forged might. 

They don’t. And Micaiah’s group only faces wyverns in two chapters, one of those being in part 4.

1 minute ago, Rose482 said:

Like what were they even thinking when they thought making him promote that late was a good idea? 

The correct answer is “They weren’t thinking at all”.

12 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Edward wouldn't have a wyrmslayer in the first chapter though.

15 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

I loved playing as Micaiah, I know i'm one of the few people that enjoy her when it come to gameplay, but i liked how different she was than other lords, and i know being different doesn't always mean "better" but still it was something new, and i had fun, having to make sure the main character was always safe and out of harm way was fun for me to do for some reason XD And also she's a mage, which is great.

And i think my least favorite lord gameplay wise.....Roy i think ? I don't dislike him as a character, but as a unit he also has problems ;; Like what were they even thinking when they thought making him promote that late was a good idea? 

True, and they don't even give him a horse and a lance!

20 hours ago, LexMex said:

19 hours ago, Sage of the Mist said:

Yes he gets a 1-2 range sword...even later than lyn gets bows

My point was that lyn is at the very least, consistently good at at least SOMETHING (that being doubling and actually hitting her target), which cannot be said for Roy with his shit tier growths that just scream "Please RNG screw me!"

Implying bows are any good in fe7

yea she’s doubling but if she’s only weakening enemies you’d be better off deploying someone better at actually being able to kill then her. Roy isn’t killing anything anytime soon either but he’s not wasting a deployment slot. Aka Lyn is better off on the bench. Roy at least has some early game kill feeding utility then he becomes useless till he promotes. That’s a lot better then being practically useless from ch15-endgame (yea Lyn mode she’s actually good but that mode is a joke)

When a unit is better off on the bench that really says something about how bad they are. If Roy wasn’t force deployed he’d be on the bench too but you’re stuck with him and can at least make some use out of him.

I just want to make it clear I’m not trying to say Roy is even remotely good because he’s not. He and Lyn are easily the two worst lords in the series

18 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

his promotion is mega-late. 

Lyn isn’t exactly promoting early either, plus she has competed with either Eliwood/Hector, both who benefit much more from promoting since unlike her, they actually have good promotions. The next heaven seal is gonna come with very few chapters left, even Nino is around for a chapter extra. Even if you want to promote her that’s really gonna hurt your funds rank, those heaven seals aren’t exactly cheap

4 hours ago, LexMex said:

Lyn isn’t exactly promoting early either, plus she has competed with either Eliwood/Hector, both who benefit much more from promoting since unlike her, they actually have good promotions. The next heaven seal is gonna come with very few chapters left, even Nino is around for a chapter extra. Even if you want to promote her that’s really gonna hurt your funds rank, those heaven seals aren’t exactly cheap

That's true, but... Is there any good reason to promote Hector with the first Heaven Seal in Eliwood mode?? Because I find he's fine waiting for the second one. And the funds rank would only be meaningful if I was playing for ranks. Anyway, another strike against Roy is that he's in Horse Emblem (granted, it might not be as bad as in Genealogy, but I generally find the big maps to mean mounts put in more work than in most other FE games).

Giving the best to Sigurd, yeah he's not around the whole game, but he curbstomps everything in first gen

worst is Roy. Bad bases, meh growths, swordlocked, late promotion.

he does have an awesome prf, it just comes way too late and has a measly 20 uses 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my choices are weird. Note that I did not reset for stats.

For me, really enjoyed how Roy turned up on my playthough of FE6. I know he's supposed to be bad, but HOLY SHIT did he won the RNG roulette, ending up with capped out Strength and Defence, and 19 Speed before promoting. I was kinda shocked at that. He did slow down at lategame, but then he got Binding Blade and started being a monster again.

As for the lord I did not enjoy using during the run... FE9 Ike. He suffered the RNG screwage, and reached endgame with 14 Strength, so fighting BK/Ashnard with him was out of the question, and Giffca had to kill Ashnard solo. At least Ena helped a little (but juuuust a little).

Favourite
As some of you are probably aware (or not; I shouldn't give myself too much credit here), I believe that Celica is far and away the best unit in Echoes. So it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that she's also my favourite lord out of all of them. In terms of her usefulness and overall strength, she's basically Echoes' version of Radiant Dawn's Ike if Ike was able to use magic and healing. Celica is also the only lord I use consistently often in my playthroughs. In every other game, the lords tend to fall off a bit once other units join up. Celica always stays a vital part of my troops, all the way until the end. The only bad thing I can say about her is that her Movement is low.
I might as well rename myself CelicaFanboy if this keeps up. 

Least Favourite
Since we're talking units, Roy takes that spot with little to no contest. He starts out weak and stays consistently weak throughout the game, he becomes a liability once he reaches level 20 since he promotes so late they might as well have pulled a Marth and not have him promote at all and to top it all off, he's locked to a 1 range weapon in the Elibe games, which heavily favour 1-2 range weaponry. I don't care if he gets the most broken weapon in the series, that just serves to make his crappyness stand out more. Think about it: Would they have had a need to make the Sword of Seals so powerful if Roy wasn't such a trash tier unit? No. The answer is no.

Favorite is Leaf. He is a very flexible unit who can contribute towards pretty much any team.

Least Favorite is Radiant Dawn Ike. Sorry buddy, but you just make the game less fun. He is as tough as an armored knight, fast as a Swordmaster and hits like a truck. So the moment Ike reaches the front line he will mow down everyone like grass. So he simply leaves nothing to do for other unmounted units like the Boyds or Nephenees of his group and as a result his maps in Part 3 tend to always play out very similar.

While I would say Robin for favorite because their flexibility of classes which can lead to them getting nearly any skill they wish (plus I like the starting class that allows them to use swords and tomes), but Robin isn't really a lord, so I wouldn't count him.  While I could say Corrin for class flexibility as well, I feel that weapon ranks increase too slowly in Fates, and I tend to keep units with at least one or two weapons through out the entire game.  As for my favorite lord to play as, I'd say I enjoy playing as Micaiah the most, with her being a tome lord, a powerful tome exclusive to her, and Sacrifice.  Thani's might isn't too much higher compared to other light tomes, but it's light weight and hit rates really complements a unit like Micaiah who lacks range, plus each Thani tome having 45 uses, so they tend to last a while.  With her Sacrifice ability, you can use it to heal other units before she's able to use staffs, but you can also do is take Wrath from Edward and give it to Micaiah than purposely use Sacrifice to lower her health, giving her a 50% increase to her Crit rate.  Micaiah is one of the few magic users in Radiant Dawn that can actually hit hard (since magic isn't very powerful in RD) due to her 80% Magic Growth.  Two of her biggest faults would be how fragile she is (especially when using Sacrifice to trigger Wrath), and how little of an opportunity you have to level her up after Part 1, since both of her class changes occur through story progression.

As for my least favorite it comes down to either Lyn or Roy, but between the two I feel that Roy is worse.  While they're both nothing amazing stat wise and frail, Lyn can at least get crits somewhat often and has higher evasion, and even if that's not good enough for you Lyn can always be benched.  Roy is the main character in FE6, so you're forced to use him in every chapter.  Roy's growths are very good, and if you don't get good level ups early on, he's going to have a lot of problems dealing with enemies.  He also promotes really late in the game, so Roy goes through nearly the entire game as a tier 1 unit.  He's saving grace is the Binding Blade, having the highest might out of every weapon in the entire franchise and has 1-2 range, but it only has 20 uses, so it needs to be used sparingly.

I just replayed Shadow Dragon and it reminded me that Marth is the worst. It’s not entirely his fault so much as it is a product of the game design: Marth has no time to fight enemies between visiting villages, recruiting enemies, and seizing the throne. Having Marth be the only one who can visit villages is such a massive design flaw that needed desperately to be changed in the remakes. 

Hector is my favorite. He’s in a very unique class (axe armor) and it’s fun to pick his spots and watch him wreak havoc. 

• 2 months later...

Fav: Sigurd/Hector
Close between these two. Sigurd is one of the best units in the series(in my opinion at least)and by only Chap 1 he has 2 very good weapons, a mount and good stats. He's also a pre promote who doesn't take less XP so you don't have to hold back with usage and even if he did take less XP, do other units really even need it? You can easily solo with him and a healer until the end of 1st gen. 
Now for Hector. He's a fan favorite personality wise and he doesn't slack at all in gameplay. He has good bases and can use 1-2 hand axes when he joins without any speed penalty. His growths are great with a 50% DEF and 65% STR, along with 35% SPD and 45% SKL so he will be accurate as well.

Now for my least favorite.
Most people chose Roy it seems but I disagree. Although he isn't good combat or utility wise I feel how he impacts the gameplay makes him good, having to escort a weak lord around tough enemies makes for interesting scenarios and although I haven't done it myself, LTC runs look fun because of the seize objectives. 
Celica is my leats favorite lord for one reason: I really hate all of her chapters. Seriously, I would have liked the game so much more if it wasn't for her bs. She's pretty good in the actual game but solely because of her chapters which I would count as gameplay is she my least favorite. 

I personably believe that eiether Corrin or Robin is the worst. Not because of actual statistics, or usability, but due to them being not fun to use. They oversimplify the game due to being able to use near every class and can pick up every skill. This is an issue for me due to how skill-centric Fates and Awakening are. While this does make them broken (which some could say to call them the best), the only enjoyment you get for using these two comes from seeing your self-insert solo the game.

• 5 weeks later...

I know this is an opinionated list and not based on statistics, but I'm surprised that Hector is above Robin since Robins the third best unit in the entire series and can solo Lunatic, while Hector struggles to solo HHM.

2 hours ago, Geenoble said:

I know this is an opinionated list and not based on statistics, but I'm surprised that Hector is above Robin since Robins the third best unit in the entire series and can solo Lunatic, while Hector struggles to solo HHM.

Favorite does not mean best.

• 2 weeks later...

Best Units: Character wise, Hector has to be my favorite. Not only strong but also quite bulky. Has 1-2 range compared to Lyn and Eliwood. He also has a really high con so he isn't weighed down by most axes. He gains even more on promo. Also amazing personality. Really funny. Also, in the later chapters, he really did grow as a character that I really enjoy and his final chapter convo with Lyn really helps both the characters' relationship.

Unit wise, I'll say Sigurd. Promoted Unit with 30 levels to grow. Good growths. Lances and Swords. Canto+ and equip after attacking. Has a horse in the Fe4, a game whose map is the lenght of my stomach lenght wise. It's really good  to reach villages as well.

Worst Units: Character wise, Corrin. Dragon stone and swords sound good right? Not really, swords in Fates aren't that good since they have some sort of weapon balance that makes them either neuter the unit to hell like the silver weapons or has a stupid conditon like the Wakizashi, can attack at 2 range, BUT NOT ONE. Also, Corrin's dragon form is absolute gay. I NEVER USED IT!!!! I did not find a situation that I would use the dragonstone. You lose speed and avoid. WHY. At least, Corrin can reclass. That's the only good thing. HE IS SO DUMB. I don't have anything to say on his personality other than it's blander than oatmeal and I like oatmeal. I don't like Corrin. He's so boring.

Unit wise, Definitely Roy. C'mon, sword locked till the end. Also meh stat averages so he is not reliable at all. On promo, doesn't change much even and doesn't have time to "grow". The only redeming thing about Roy, is that he can use the Binding Blade (Sealed Sword). Also, his personality is bland but not dumb like Corrin.

Sorry for the long rant on Corrin.

Edited by umerol

^I don't see why you brought up personality when the thread title specifically said "in terms of gameplay only". Anyway, I disagree on Corrin and dragonstones, largely because avoid isn't as reliable in Fates as it was in prior games.